Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

builds character posted:

You want something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Dumble-Jumper-Connect-Cables-Trucks/dp/B07LFLG99R

Not the big cables but the little set that permanently attaches that you can just hook up to a jump pack?

Because the answer is, of course, fix the hood latch/get the hood latch fixed. But if you don't want to do that you can permanently hook up a jump starter cable (make sure to cover the connector somehow so it doesn't get full of gunk).

Nah, I'm talking about one of those little battery packs that hooks up to your battery. I've seen two different towing services use them over the years and found out they're only about a hundred bucks.

LloydDobler posted:

It's supposed to have a spring of some sort that pops it up. On the other cars of that era, it's actually a little rubber bumper that falls out so the hood stays where it is instead of popping up.

On the chance that it's not a rubber piece missing, step 1 is to hope it's just sticky, which is very often the case. Try to lubricate the hood latch so that it all works properly. Have someone dribble some oil on it while you pull the release. You can also use a screwdriver to engage the release in the same slot the hood hook drops in to (so you don't have to open and close the hood over and over). See if you can make it engage and disengage better with just the screwdriver.

Second choice is to ebay the hood latch mechanism and hope for one that has the correct spring part.

Gotcha. I'll do some poking around under there and see if there is anything obviously wrong. I managed to source a rear taillight fixture thing for thirteen bucks when the dealership wanted $250, so I might have some luck. But if it looks like a pain to install, my bad legs means I'll be paying the dealership to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Captain Log posted:

Nah, I'm talking about one of those little battery packs that hooks up to your battery. I've seen two different towing services use them over the years and found out they're only about a hundred bucks.

Right, the first cable can be permanently attached to your battery and then the end can be left out where you can reach it by pushing it through the grill or similar and then you won't have to open the hood to jump start your car. But, I agree the fix is really fixing the hood latch.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

builds character posted:

Right, the first cable can be permanently attached to your battery and then the end can be left out where you can reach it by pushing it through the grill or similar and then you won't have to open the hood to jump start your car. But, I agree the fix is really fixing the hood latch.

Huh, I'll be damned. Didn't know that was a thing and might have to do that, once the more important fix is complete.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just looked at my build thread for my C70. Until now I have never owned a car long enough to hit the time interval on the timing belt. I've put about 43k miles on the car since building it but I installed the timing belt on 12/4/2012. Didn't start driving it until April of 13 though due to ARD tuning triggering the immobilizer on 2 different ECUs. God that was frustrating. But yeah, I just passed ten years of ownership on this specific car, in addition to the 5 years on the previous identical car that donated the motor, suspension, and interior.

Sadly because I work from home now I put less than 1000 miles on it each year. I still want to do a color change on it, I just can't decide if I'd be happy with a vinyl wrap, I'd really prefer a full paint job. Also neither is in my budget right now.

Edit: just checked, I did 1100 miles on it from 2/22 to 2/23. I still love it, it's still super reliable and fun to drive, its only problem is a leaky steering rack (fortunately I still have the rack from my 04). Other than that it just needs detailing/pdr/touchup.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Feb 11, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LloydDobler posted:

I just looked at my build thread for my C70. Until now I have never owned a car long enough to hit the time interval on the timing belt. I've put about 45k miles on the car since building it but I installed the timing belt on 12/4/2012. Didn't start driving it until April of 13 though due to ARD tuning triggering the immobilizer on 2 different ECUs. God that was frustrating. But yeah, I just passed ten years of ownership on this specific car, in addition to the 5 years on the previous identical car that donated the motor, suspension, and interior.

Sadly because I work from home now I put less than 1000 miles on it each year. I still want to do a color change on it, I just can't decide if I'd be happy with a vinyl wrap, I'd really prefer a full paint job. Also neither is in my budget right now.

I hear you on wanting to spend money on a low yearly mileage Volvo.

If money was no object, I'd want a late 80's 740 GLE with all the money dumped into it. While I've learned my lesson with my S40, being that a budget car for a disabled person is not a Volvo, I will always love them.

If I was stupid, I'd buy this 850 today. (I'm not stupid, but I can dream.)

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1993-volvo-850/7580867093.html

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I hear you on wanting to spend money on a low yearly mileage Volvo.

If money was no object, I'd want a late 80's 740 GLE with all the money dumped into it. While I've learned my lesson with my S40, being that a budget car for a disabled person is not a Volvo, I will always love them.

If I was stupid, I'd buy this 850 today. (I'm not stupid, but I can dream.)

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/portland-1993-volvo-850/7580867093.html

For future reference, never buy a '93 850. It's the first year and has tons of unique components for some reason, including 4 lug wheels. Like the headlights and all associated trim around them is unique. '94-97 is all the same, and much of the chassis is compatible through 2000, with some parts compatibility even through 2004 due to the C70.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

LloydDobler posted:

For future reference, never buy a '93 850. It's the first year and has tons of unique components for some reason, including 4 lug wheels. Like the headlights and all associated trim around them is unique. '94-97 is all the same, and much of the chassis is compatible through 2000, with some parts compatibility even through 2004 due to the C70.

Oh, I wouldn't dream of setting my money on fire buying this. I just dream of having that boxy style of old Volvo as my daily driver. Well, I dream of having one with a mechanic who can stop by twice a day and replace God only knows what poo poo would go wrong.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Idk if you have looked into prices for doing a color change, but doing it ‘right’ as in to frame, is absurdly expensive. My comparisons are from an E91 so will off compared to your smaller C70, but they started at $15-20k if I brought an empty frame on a truck bed and went to $40+ for having a shop do the full disassembly. Just doing a full exterior windows out repaint of the original color was in the $18-20k ballpark. For comparisons when I had a 3rd gen mazda3 hatch, a full body wrap was in the ballpark of $6k.

poo poo is insanely expensive, but also would loving own so hard, what color do you want to do and also post a recent pic or two :)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I would definitely do it on the cheap, probably not even do door jambs. Since the car is silver, if I go with a bright color it wouldn't really be noticeable. And I can strip all the lights and trim myself, I'd do that part very thoroughly so there's minimal masking around the rubber and all that. I'm also thinking of leaving the windshield frame and mirror caps silver, I always liked that accent on the Audis that did it. The shop that painted my spoiler quoted me $4000 +/- back in 2020, I should have had them do it. Their work was excellent and they were super busy with a whole bunch of muscle cars and had awards and all that up on the walls. Now I can't because I moved a few states away. I'm expecting it to cost around $6k to $8k now. I also had a wrap guy who was in the Volvo club in Denver and he quoted me $2000 to do it since there was no roof or pillar detail to do. I should have also done that.

What I'd like to do is the Laser blue from the '99-2000 V70R since it's the period correct color and I love it. Also there are only a few guys who have custom done it first so it'd be super unique.

This is the most recent picture I have, I'll take more once I give it the spring detailing. Also I'm going to try cerakote plastic trim treatment on some of the faded plastic so I'll update with that when the time comes.

This is the color I want.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 11, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Hell yeah that would own. Also car owns!

I am going to :negative: in my Bay Area and Seattle prices now though.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.
Laser Blue, Autumn Gold, and Platinum are all really pretty colors from that time period. If I didn't already have a platinum 850, I'd be thinking about the other two a lot more.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

LloydDobler posted:

This is the color I want.

Saw one in person last summer at my local independent volvo shop:

It really is a great colour - I am ok with the dark grey of mine - hides dirt better than black.

Edit: Now that I see them together, I'm not sure that's the same colour?! It could be my stupid phone; it does look kinda darker than I recall?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 12, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

No, you're right. Sonic blue and Laser blue are close but slightly different. Sonic is also awesome but if you're a purist nerd like me it looks out of place on older cars. I've seen it on 240s and 850s and it just doesn't look right at all. I did have a sonic R wagon for 3 years, and it behaved like an R. Always breaking and costing me more than I paid for it to fix. But god it looked glorious.

Titanium gray was my first choice when shopping for a C70, white was second and silver was last. I've ended up with silver twice now and I've come to absolutely loathe it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

You’re thinking about painting your entire Volvo and not going with a light pink or deep purple?

Shameful.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

So I apologize for not searching through 187 pages, but I’m on the fence about doing the airbag recall on my P2R. I don’t want to lose the R airbag cover to a basic bitch one. What’s the process for removing/swapping them over? Is it feasible?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I am personally not a big fan of loving with SRS stuff because of the safety/liability angle. Particularly when the difference is little more than an extra little badge at the bottom (and maybe some stitching?). It is just a little rubber flap but they have almost certainly changed the design of the bag (or one would hope, if it's a recall) and the design of the cover may interact differently with the internals of it. Do the recall and don't look back.

I have done some highly questionable things but airbag mods are haram.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Turbo Fondant posted:

I am personally not a big fan of loving with SRS stuff because of the safety/liability angle. Particularly when the difference is little more than an extra little badge at the bottom (and maybe some stitching?). It is just a little rubber flap but they have almost certainly changed the design of the bag (or one would hope, if it's a recall) and the design of the cover may interact differently with the internals of it. Do the recall and don't look back.

I have done some highly questionable things but airbag mods are haram.

It might just be a small thing to you but I’m not a fan of having a mismatched interior on a non-beater car. It’s the badge, stitching and color of the plastic on the cover. They only replace them with one color, which doesn’t match the rest of the interior. It would bother me every time I got in the car and I’d probably sell it even sooner than I normally would.

I’d rather keep the current R wheel than mess with it also, but I was just looking for an alternative solution.

To be honest I’m probably not going to do the recall. I’ll leave it for the next owner to decide, when I sell it way down the line. I drive it occasionally at best at this point.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's possible, but there are very limited pictures online. Basically anyone who's done it doesn't seem to care about showing how. This is the best info I've found:

https://www.facebook.com/volvofadel...22626264474139/

What you should do in the meantime is get one or two standard S60 airbags from a junkyard, install one, then go do the recall so you still have your R bag and cover that you can experiment with. They WILL keep the old airbag and not give it back, and they also will record your VIN so you can't do it twice for free.

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
After almost making it through another UP winter without anything major cropping up, my 02 V70XC will crank but not start. It's stumbled a few times before snuffing out but mostly just cranks. I haven't gone very deep on it (very cold up here right now) but I can hear the fuel pump priming and all of the related fuses look fine. Battery is 1.5 years old but it has been in the single digits. Little less than a quarter in the tank. No codes other than a very small evap leak from the old gas cap gasket. Old forum posts point towards the PEM being an issue with these symptoms?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Can it jump from a known good source? Cold and weak crank is almost certainly battery related no matter the age. Was some door left open and it drained from lights?

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong

schreibs posted:

Can it jump from a known good source? Cold and weak crank is almost certainly battery related no matter the age. Was some door left open and it drained from lights?

Tried it earlier with my portable jumper hooked up but no luck. Nothing should be draining the battery and all the accessories pop on fine. It'll be back into the 20s tomorrow which typically is no problem for the car but we'll see I guess.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I called the local Volvo shop about a no start and got a minor rant about how every battery brand can’t be trusted anymore so I get the impression this may not be uncommon. :v:

I see you’re in the bitter north like us, do you have a tender that could charge the battery somewhere above freezing? The 2 year old battery we had was indeed in bad shape but the issue there was actually no crank due to a code from the clutch sensor.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 25, 2023

Dirt McGuirk
Oct 21, 2010

brave

&

strong
Pulled the battery out and let it warm up inside overnight. Tried again this morning with the portable jumper got the same result, all crank no start :(

edit: Poured a few gallons into the gas tank and she started up fine. Gave it a few revs and everything sounded good. Best guess is that the blizzard got a little snow in the tank via the cracked fuel cap gasket or it was just legitimately out of gas. Didn't spend any money besides the gas so I don't feel too foolish :)

Dirt McGuirk fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 25, 2023

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought XC90 V8 with bad valve cover and timing cover gaskets. What a horrible job. I think the book time on this is something around 18 hours from the dealer, and this is one of those circumstances that I would agree with every minute. Everything ontop of the engine has to come out and it's all miserable and cramped. Love the car, and the engine is an absolute beauty, since it's a Yammy V8 (that eventually became the Yamaha marine outboard), but this is one of those "I would not wish this on my enemies" kind of jobs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I hope you put brand new serpentine idler bearings on it so you don't have to do that timing cover again any time soon.

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008
For sure. All new idlers, new water pump, rebuilt the power steering pump, and I've got myself half convinced to replace the perfectly working alternator with a new one, just so I don't have to mess with this again. I'll never have the access like this again, because I'm not doing this job again, at least without pulling the subframe and engine. I've been so spoiled with 2.5T's and how easy they are to work on, and how relatively small they are in their respective engine bays.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I've got an interesting issue. 2010 Volvo XC60. Whenever I park with the drivers side higher than the passenger side and there is a heavy rain, I get water in my rear driver side footwell. I've tried taping over the sun roof and it still happens. I can't find any leaks in the door, window or trim. Any advice?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I seem to recall something about 2010ish Volvos, and XC60s in particular, having problems with the windshield seal experiencing adhesive failure.

EDIT: Have someone sit in the car while you spray it down good with a pressure washer?

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 1, 2023

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I seem to recall something about 2010ish Volvos, and XC60s in particular, having problems with the windshield seal having adhesive failure.

Ah, I should have mentioned that. I did have that problem a few years ago and had the whole windshield and seal replaced because I had a crack anyway. It isn't coming through the windshield.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Has it ever had a repair that required pulling door cards? Does it live in a garage or outside? A lot of the mystery water ingress issues I've diag'd have been failed or poorly installed vapor barriers or clogged door cavity drains.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Turbo Fondant posted:

Has it ever had a repair that required pulling door cards? Does it live in a garage or outside? A lot of the mystery water ingress issues I've diag'd have been failed or poorly installed vapor barriers or clogged door cavity drains.

To the first point, I have no idea. I bought it used. It lives outside. It doesn't leak when it's sitting flat, only when the drivers side is higher than the passenger side, which is unfortunate since that's how I have to park at my new house. The door cavity drain might be a good idea. If the water builds up in the rear door, it might flow into the compartment?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I don't know how likely that is for an answer but it's easy to check, basically lay on the ground and take a plastic or wood poker and just poke up through them and see if they're not sealed tight by mud or debris.

I think it's far more likely a cowl drain or other leak, the back seat is where all leaks end up because it's usually downhill from the front. Or rear, my buddy's C30 just had a rear hatch leak that manifested in water pooling in the rear footwell. Lift up some of the rear hatch covers and see if there's any water in the rear floor area.

The strange part is the water showing up on the high side, I think you can safely say it's coming from somewhere on that side at least.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Ok, I spent most of the day trying to figure this out. I started by using an air compressor to blow out the door cavity drains. They didn't appear to be blocked to begin with, but I did it anyway. I followed up by closing the door and spraying the window with a garden hose for a few minutes. When I opened the door, I found a small stream of water flowing over the door sill and into the cabin. I popped the door panel off and the first thing I noticed was this:

I inspected the door and I found this:

It might be hard to see, but there is water coming through that white plastic standoff and from the black inner door panel. I removed the panel as best as I could and I do not see anything obstructing the flow into the door drains.

I was pretty fed up at this point and just wanted to be done with it, so I drilled a few extra drain holes and added a bead of silicone sealer around the inner panel and behind the stand offs. So far, It seems to not be leaking inside any more.

the guy from Semisonic fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 1, 2023

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

That is bonkers. Just looking at the picture that's got to be a ton of water pooling up in the door, meaning the drains are 100% blocked somehow. Unless it's just sticking to the inner panel and running out of the joint or something. I don't condone drilling new holes as you're now inviting rust to ruin the door for the next owner but if you hit them with some kind of paint it's forgivable. I do understand the frustration though, that's the kind of poo poo that should never happen, and usually doesn't on most cars.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

the guy from Semisonic posted:

I've got an interesting issue. 2010 Volvo XC60. Whenever I park with the drivers side higher than the passenger side and there is a heavy rain, I get water in my rear driver side footwell. I've tried taping over the sun roof and it still happens. I can't find any leaks in the door, window or trim. Any advice?

this happened to my xc70 and over time it eventually soaked into the floor insulation enough that it fried my CEM and completely broke my car. took forever to figure out what happened, even my mechanic was stumped until he found a forum post about it online. had a bunch of random error messages on my dash, car wouldn't recognize the key, coulnd't get the car to turn off so i had to let the battery die. once it died i couldn't disengage the parking brake even with the shiftlock, it broke it real good.

had 270k miles on it anyway so it wasn't the end of the world. ended up picking up a used S70 today and it's great, needs some work but for what it is it's fine. biggest issue i have with it right now (and all older volvos, by design) is that the cupholdersa re too small but i have no idea how to remedy that situation, really.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah your best bet is going to be something aftermarket that you can attach or hang off the right side of the center console like in the passenger knee area. That armrest thing is fuckin useless and the parking brake is too centered to put something next to it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah your best bet is going to be something aftermarket that you can attach or hang off the right side of the center console like in the passenger knee area. That armrest thing is fuckin useless and the parking brake is too centered to put something next to it.

yeah if I can find something to put there I will, it's a little annoying but other than that I love the car. Got it for dirt cheap so I have some money to put into it to make it nicer, will add "aftermarket cupholders" to my list. any suggestions?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Nah I never eat in my cars, the only time I use the cupholders is if I happen to drive thru. So I just suffer the lovely flimsy thing, holding the drink with one hand till I get home.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I went to Gothenburg, Sweden and have never seen so many Volvo wagons in my life. It felt like every other car was a Volvo wagon. The taxis are just casually V90s and V60s. It was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

How feasible is it for the oil cap seal to cause a pretty bad oil leak on a P80 V70? My kid’s car has developed a mystery leak and I know the cap seals are crap. He noticed it last night and it’s down about 1.5-2 quarts.

These two spots are after parking overnight a couple of days in a row. He didn’t realize it was leaking right away.

This is under the coil cover. There’s oil pooled around every coil. The cap moves pretty freely.

Even a little oil inside the timing cover. It’s running down the passenger side of the motor and onto the control arm, CV axle and slinging onto the wheel.