Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What's the deal with used C30 prices? I can't find a base pre-owned C30 for less than $23k, while S40s from the same model year seem to go for less than $20k or so. Is there just a ton of demand for the C30 right now or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So I bought my first car yesterday- an '08 CPO S40 with 32k miles. It has the base 5-speed geartronic transmission, which seems to accelerate much better in manual mode than it does in automatic mode. For some reason the salesperson at the dealership advised against using it in manual mode, implying that using it would damage the transmission or something- is this true? Is it bad to drive it around in manual mode as long as I'm not redlining it or anything?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the poi posted:

Total BS. Leave it in manual all you want, and redline away, assuming the oil is warm!

Exactly what I was hoping to hear- thanks!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Did I mention that I love this loving car? Because I love this loving car.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

predictive posted:

That is a nice looking car!

Thanks! It's my first car and I'm coming from a lovely Ranger so pretty much anything is a massive upgrade. I've always wanted either a Volvo or a Saab, since they're nice and classy without being as flashy or ubiquitous as a 3-series or C-class.

One thing, the horn doesn't sound when I lock the doors with the keyfob- is that normal?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 18, 2011

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

TheJeffers posted:

Not even when you press the lock button twice?

Nice looking S40. :cheers:

Nope. It definitely locks and the lights flash, but no beep :confused:

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Just bought this- a C30 knob should be interchangeable with an S40 knob, right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300499294954&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2672wt_1167

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Depends on the generation of s40. What year is it? That should fit an s40 from 2005 to present.

It's an 08, so I'm thinking it should be the same generation as an 07 C30.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Whenever it's left to sit for a while when it's wet outside, my '08 S40 makes a weird moaning sound when I first back it out of my parking spot. Seems like it's something with my brakes (though they work fine). Should I be concerned?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Any one want a "new" Volvo 244 -86? 360 km on the meter. The description says it has sat in a garage since -86. They want $19,000 for it. :wtc:

I know the link is in Swedish and most of you probably can't read it. But there's pictures!

Why did Volvo decide to put a bigass clock on the dash instead of a tach? Is that normal for cars of this vintage?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Umph posted:

I'm needing to trade in my Saab, I think the Volvo C30 look awesome. I comute about an hour a day, any of you own one and commute? Do they really get 31 mpg in practice?

I have an S40 2.4i and it gets about 25mpg. In the US the C30 and S40 are only available in T5, but the milage difference between the two is negligible from what I hear.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Not sure, but I think so. Ask them!

I hope I'm right about the V50. :ohdear:

That sounds awesome but do they cover shipping? If you have to containerize it you're looking at at least $3000 to bring it to the states. Plus you would probably responsible for duties and customs clearance.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

As I understand it, they ship it to your local dealer like a normal delivery, it doesn't cost you anything. That's why you have to pick it up at a dealer instead of a dock or home-delivery.

Oh, well that's pretty nifty then.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

There's been some suggestion that 2013 may be the last US model year for them so if you like your cars brand-new...

Whoa, seriously? They already killed the S40/V50- I thought the market was going towards premium compacts, not away from it.

The C30 probably does need a complete redesign though, since it's mostly based on the 8 year old S40 platform.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same as my Mazda3, they're all inbred platform mates. It's the good Euro Focus, though, not the lovely old US one. My MS3's brakes are actually the same as the S40 I believe, save for the Mazda lug pattern instead of the Volvo lug pattern.

I don't think it's a big deal. I've driven all three (S40, Mazda 3 and the euro Focus) and they all feel like completely different cars.

Also it may make for some cheaper repairs if you need to have certain parts replaced?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Wasn't the first gen S40 essentially a rebadged Mitsubishi?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Tree squid posted:

I've never wanted to buy a volvo before, i never paid much attention to them on the road. That is until sifting through this thread. I have to get a new car, mine just broke down. And i have a budget of $9000-$12000. What do you guys think of this? http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ctd/3282940463.html

Will it reliable? Do Volvo parts cost an arm and a leg? Are they complex to work on? Should i have just shut up and read through all the pages and post? Probably.

$10k for an old 240 is outrageous but damned if that thing isn't clean.

Did old Volvos always have weird interior door opener levers (not sure what else to call them) like that?

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

scottscottscott posted:

Check out my Volvo.

It is a 1982 242 turbo.
I have a lot of plans for this car but currently i'm just trying to get it back to stock (except the 3" exhaust).

I have no idea why, but I love how the badge is offset on older Volvo grilles.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Up arrow is definitely the transmission error indicator- for $2800 I'd keep looking.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 31, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Yeah sorry but 262's look horrendous to me. Everything behind the b pillar just looks awkward and out of place.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 13, 2012

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

mafoose posted:

drat, that's too far for me.

My friend took a picture of my car I really liked:

That is the best goddamned color for a Volvo.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

So after reading the reccomendations earlier in this thread I tried to have the transmission fluid changed in my '08 S40 (90k miles) over the weekend. My mechanic told me that my transmission is sealed and is not serviceable. Did I miss something or was he just mistaken?

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/03/21/volvo-confirms-unnamed-us-model-reveal-for-ny-show/?post=2&icid=autoblog_river_article

Hell yes- looks like the US might be getting the V60 after all.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Sviatoslav posted:

That looks absolutely fantastic. Every bit of it. I seriously might just give up hope on Volvo if they don't bring this to the US.

I'm not sure what else it could be, since they have sworn a million times that we aren't cool enough to get the v40.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Bought a 2013 S60 T5 over the weekend. The hose that routes air to the air filter box keeps coming unclipped; has anyone else had this issue? Is it something to really worry about?

Also, does anyone know if the 3 years/36000 mile carefree maintenance transferrs to used cars? The warranty manual is a little vague.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Volvo doesen't really position itself to compete with true luxury brands, its better to compare it with 'premium' brands like Buick and Acura.

In terms of size, the S60 is around the same dimensions as the 3 series (though it's a little smaller on the inside).

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It's 189.8 inches long, so a little smaller than the average midsize car in 2015 (a 2014 Accord is 191.4).

Also, being one of the first 'modern' Volvo's, I've heard that the firet gen S80's were a nightmare electronically.