Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

angryrobots posted:

1969 volvo 142s B20 factory A/C RARE Vintage - $4000

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/5101708670.html

I need this in my life, badly.

People always underrate the 140 series, it has much better lines than the later bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well I did the cabin air filter in my wife's 04 mazda3. That was fun.

The best part was getting the filter cover off and finding out that the car hasn't had a cabin air filter installed for at least 70k miles (since we've owned it)......

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
That seems really reasonable.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Nope, for whatever reason that car depreciates like a lead plated rock.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I did it in college, its doable but not necessarily the easiest thing in the world. You'll have to drill out your block for the oil return which is probably the scariest part on your rear model.

Not sure how common the donor parts are in junkyards these days. You'll need to find a turbo 700 or 900 series.

Also plan on some sort of engine management like megasquirt unless you like detonation.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

MrLonghair posted:

I shot this Amazon (with a camera that has Leica written on it) and thought about you, Volvo Megathread.

Nice photo but the Amazon is the 12x series and that's a PV 444.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So I'm in the process of starting my "new" car search to replace my wife's high mileage 2004 mazda3 wagon. Before this car she had an 850 and she grew up in a Volvo family so she wants a Volvo again.

We're looking for 2009 - 2012 based on price, and at the c30, s60, and xc60 are the models we are considering. There is no big rush, so we are looking for the best deal.

My main question is this: are there any big reliability or problem issues with those cars for those years?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Cool, right now we are looking to get a 2011+ c30 pending a test drive. The thing that is going to take us awhile is that we want specific packages and a manual transmission, and it seems like the take rate on the manual was extremely low.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Looking at buying a v60 for the wife. Likely a 2015 or 2016 premier with the 4cyl turbo with 8 speed automatic. Anything in particular I should be wary of?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TheNothingNew posted:

Could I get links to writeups on these, when they should be done, that kind of thing? I'm browsing swedespeed but they don't have the most helpful layout.

I was in the market for a new car when your V50 thread was progressing, which put them on my maybe list, then found a decent one on craigslist within budget. Fly & drive, 400 miles home in an unknown car with 170,000 miles. That was 3 months ago, biggest annoyance so far is that the V50 didn't get an aux jack until the year after mine, so I'm back to CDs again.

Oh right, other annoyance: can't just buy a service manual or a Haynes or whatever, that's pretty annoying.

If your v50 had the option of an external cd changer you can buy a Bluetooth/aux adapter that plugs in where the CD changer would have, and your steering wheel controls will even send commands to the Bluetooth connected device.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TheNothingNew posted:

Haven't the foggiest. Where am I looking?

This kind of thing, if one is available for your head unit. I used one on a pre-aux Mazda and it worked great, but my post-aux Mazda doesn't have the option. A lot of late 90s to mid 00s cars have the option to piggyback this type of thing by tricking the car into thinking it is an external cd changer.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

2019 s60 looking delicious

Also sexy: 2019 v60

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The v60 is a good car imo. We've had out 2015.5 premium trim v60 (not xc, also cpo) for over a year now, and it's been an excellent family car for the three of us.

The main "issue" with the XCs before 2017 is that they still have the 5-cyl non-di engine (all the awd models in 2015 and 2016 did) and it is a good bit less efficient engine than the 4-cyl DI engine that was in the 2wd models. Also I believe the 5cyls have a 5 gear transmission while the 4cyls have an 8 spd.

Overall love the car and would probably still be happy even if it got worse mileage, just don't need awd so much in the south.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Animal posted:

When I returned it and got my 2015.5 V60 CC back, I was really appreciative of how simple and elegant the interiors are, and the infotainment may be outdated, but the screen is exactly the right size and the system does exactly what I need it to do. Nothing more.

Sup CPO 2015.5 buddy

Completely agree about the huge tablet trend, but the exteriors of the v90 and new v60 look soooooo gooooood.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Car acquisition trip report:

Found an ideal v60 cross country (2020) with all the options I wanted (including the stretch goal of the $4000 bowers & wilkins sound system). Exterior color was "right" but interior was not wife's first preference, price was absurdly low, (32,900) ~7k off of kbb, carfax was clean. Dealer said there were 3 other people working on deals for it, could only hold if I was on my way. Btw this car was in DC and I'm in NC, and this is like at noon. Check flights, can get a 5pm direct for under $400, buy a one way ticket, get them to hold the car, finish my work day and wife drops me off at the airport. Uneventful flight, I get to the dealer and *the car is not the color it was listed as*

Car was listed as crystal white metallic, actual color is birch silver metallic. I miraculously don't flip out and just update my wife with photos, and start going over the car. Car is honestly spotless for a 2020 with 34k miles on it. Do the test drive and everything is good. Wife decides she actually likes this color better after looking at more photos and watching some YouTube vids. Buy the car and leave dc at 9:30pm with a 5hr drive ahead of me.

Drive is entirely uneventful thanks to pilot assist, holy poo poo it reduces fatigue so much to just be monitoring and tweaking the steering rather than doing every manual thing, very easy to get a feel for and spot areas where the pilot assist may have issues.

Also I'm not saying I'd check the $4,000 box for the b&w sound system if buying new, but *holy poo poo that thing is nice*

Now I have to prep the 2016 v60 for sale.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 1, 2023