Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Reviving this thread for a question. I'm thinking about picking up a 2014 volvo S60 T5 - are there any maintenance or common problems I should be looking out for? It'll see very light mileage mostly around town, possible snow driving during the winter, it'd be replacing my wife's Camry. I see someone earlier noted that the current gen models seem to be pretty bulletproof in terms of reliability, that's good to hear. Is the factory engine tune fine or is it worth it getting a reflash for reliability/fuel management and not performance?

I've been a Subaru guy forever so this "reliable engine tune" thing is new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

How old are your pads/rotors? One or both might need to be replaced.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

goobernoodles posted:

Last November, I was lucky enough to get introduced to a mechanic that was trying to get a business up and running last November. At the time, my car's motor was showing it's age - smoke after idling, and then oil in the coolant. I started chatting him up about potentially having him swap a junk yard motor into my car as a relatively economical way to get the car back on the road. He clearly knew his poo poo, having worked on a top fuel dragster team for years, but it turned out he had recently swapped the clutch and fabricated a custom exhaust for a manual swapped 850R of an acquaintance of mine. That made him the only shop I know that would work on a manual swapped Volvo, so I was sold. I'm sure there are other performance related shops that would do the work, however this guy was met through a mutual friend and it was more of a low-key relationship. He's certainly given me many hours of his time that weren't billed which I kind of feel bad about.

I obtained a motor from a wrecked 98 V70R, however that plan ended up getting thrown out of the window at some point. I ended up just rebuilding the original motor, grabbing a limited split differential, new Garrett Gen 2 GTX3071R, and a whole lot of other components. The car was back together for the most part in late summer. The last few months have been basically just trying to get the tune in order. The tuner I'm using came to town last week and we rented a dyno Thursday and again on Saturday. We weren't able to hit the expected 450whp due to the wastegate being unable to close once it has opened at all. Target boost is 28-29psi.

Some notes from the tuner:

Some of the hardware on the car includes:
  • GTX3071R with .63 A/R, ATP 'ultimate' internal wastegate, screamer pipe and a 14psi wastegate actuator
  • 139.5mm forged rods, Wiseco pistons
  • Stock head, N/A cams, N/A throttlebody, stock intake manifold, 'R' exhaust manifold
  • 4" MAF Housing
  • Snabb FMIC
  • Deatschwerks 900cc Injectors
  • IGN-1A ignition coils
  • M56H w/ Quaife LSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cg6O1gL4DA

Just chiming in to say this is fantastic, nice work.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Animal posted:

Whats the opinion on the V60 Cross Country T5? I'm gonna drive today to look at a beautiful 2015 Bronze with under 40k miles for $25,000, its a CPO. I will not buy for another week or two as I just paid off my Mazda 3 and haven't received the title, and I will probably trade it in. So I wanna spend that time making sure I will get a car I will love.

I'd love to know the answer to this as well, I'm wondering if it's worth the money to wait for a used V90 in the coming years.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The manual in my 14 S60 says to use a minimum of 87, but that it's recommended to use premium for "demanding driving", which I imagine is anything other than 55 in the highest gear.

I've been putting 87 in it since my old subaru flat out required 93 and it says so in the manual, while Volvo explicitly says that 87 and above won't affect reliability.

If I drove the Volvo to work every day or otherwise put more than a 5 or so thousand miles on it a year I might switch. So far it's been fine.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Just got a 2020 v60 R Design. Very happy with my life choices atm. AMA.

phwoar, post pics. I'd love to trade in my wife's S60 for this. Is this your first Volvo?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

GreglFaggins posted:

Volvo gurus:

I’m going to be buying a new (to me) car in the next few months. I test drove a 2015 V60 T5 fwd today and I really liked it because I’m old and dull. Seriously though, I was impressed with the handling and the butt dyno feel.

Does anyone have any negative experiences with the 2.0 turbo engine or the newer 60 series Volvos? I’ve read that Volvo squeezed about as much hp/tq out of that engine as they could, hopefully while maintaining reliability. I’ve averaged about 8 years per vehicle, so reliability is a concern. I also prefer to do as much of my own maintenance as I can. Is this platform, beyond computer stuff, relatively shade tree mechanic friendly?

I've got a '14 S60 and I feel like there's still some room left in that engine for more power; it's never straining or anything and mileage is good for a relatively heavy AWD sedan. In any case, it's been super reliable; engine has never needed work, but I did need to replace some warped brake discs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Well I have about 5000 miles on the 2020 v60 now, including a 2000 mile road trip. Some thoughts in no particular order:

Overall really happy with it, ask any questions if you got em.

I’ve been thinking about switching to a V from our current S60 (2014) solely for the extra space. Is the back seat any bigger that the S’s that you drove? How’s the trunk space? I know it’s a far cry from the old wagons but I imagine just the extra headroom might be good.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

2016 V60 Polestar
345 hp AWD
35,500 miles

Got to drive if for a couple of hours today while running errands back from the shop, so far it's been very nice though the 20in tires do telegraph the bumps a bit. But I have to say this thing takes corners so incredibly flat. Will be driving to IL in a few weeks so I'll get to see how long distance goes with the adaptive cruise.

Beautiful, are the wheels/tires stock? I didn’t realize they were that big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Eh, gently caress it. I'll cross post here even though this car is way too new for any Volvo-heads to care. Thoughts?

My wife’s car is a 2014 S60 with awd and the 5 cyl. We’ve had it for around 50k miles (bought it with ~30k from the previous owner) and other than regular scheduled maintenance, the only issue I had was a worn rotor. Replaced all four and the pads for a pittance using our good friends at FCPEuro and that’s been that.

It’s obviously heavy but it’s got plenty of power for a family sedan, there are actual buttons for manipulating the climate and radio controls (ok the steering wheel and console), very comfortable heated seats with adjustable lumbar support, what I would consider good mileage for the highway (35+) to go with a ~16 gallon tank, etc, etc. It is missing the back up cam which is shameful but that’s honestly the only comfort that I think is a real letdown.

Like any other car, if you don’t pay extortionate dealer prices for OEM parts and service you’re good. Anecdotal I know, but just another data point for you. I’ve been very happy with it as our primary getting around vehicle.