Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What if it's Craw from The Heroes? Nah, that wouldn't make sense. Maybe it IS Logen. But I hope not. I kinda like having him be Schroedinger's Barbarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Groke posted:

Not really similar in style, but if you want (often) amoral protagonists and an author with a dim view of humanity, check out KJ Parker. Well, her protagonists aren't always amoral, some of them have the very best of intentions, but this generally does not help much.

I looked her up on Amazon and there's a shitton of books/series there. Do all her series have the same world? Which should I read first?

edit to stay on topic: if logen and ferro had a baby what would it look like

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 23, 2012

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Any bets on Red Country having POVs from Khalul's side?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Agreed. I really wish I could read TFL for the first time again.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Clinton1011 posted:

Malacus Quai wasn't anEater but then again he wasn't a really good apprentice.

He also wasn't himself for most of The First Law, so...

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I'll bet that Abercrombie's written up a fight between Gorst and Logen, and we'll never see it because he think's it'd be trite. :smith:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sulfur's (Solfur's?) worse? I thought he was just a cannibal.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for the reminder. How bad does the US cover suck this time around?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Contra Calculus posted:

If it's as hilariously bad as the Best Served Cold cover with a blood-stained Murcatto wielding a broadsword, I might just get the US version :allears: I love collecting bad fantasy novel covers.
Well you're in luck:

I like to read stuff in the park and otherwise out in public but I'd be too embarrassed of that to carry it outside the house.

Chalk one up for the Brit version!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Correct me if needed, but Calder wasn't at the duel between Logen and the Feared, so Calder might have been interpreting what happened based on second-hand accounts.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

DarkCrawler posted:

...although I still don't think he's [an eater] himself

Isn't there a scene in Herpes that features Bayaz eating from a corpse, though?

edit: that should say "Heroes"

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 30, 2012

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

UncleMonkey posted:

Is there? Because if so, wow, I don't remember that at all.

Using spoiler tags just to be safe:

Bayaz makes it clear that he thinks the laws are silly and contradictory and he doesn't respect them. I just always got the impression that Bayaz left it to underlings to do the eating though, as if it were beneath him. If there's a scene that explicitly has him eating flesh then I'm not sure how I missed it.

It's near the end, just after (Heroes spoiler again)Calder attempts to delay a peace with the Union.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mr.48 posted:

Just tell me one thing: Does Logen go all William Munny on some poor motherfuckers' asses?

Answer to quoted question: He sure does!

Spoiler related to series in general: I'm starting to think Abercrombie should have killed Logen off. Either that or he's got to be old and pathetic in the next trilogy. Like Cosca was in this one.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Fly Molo posted:

Old and pathetic are not the words I would use to describe Logen in this book. Even when he's not going Bloody Nine on people's asses, he's loving terrifying. Like, people might bring up his age over and over again, but it sure doesn't seem to have slowed him down any.

And I don't know if even William Munny would've smashed a man's head open on a bar, then nailed the poor bastard to it. :stare:

I agree, but it's the fact that he apparently hasn't slowed down that kinda hurts my suspension of disbelief, and that's why I'm saying if he's around for the next trilogy he should be significantly slowed-down. He's in his what, mid-sixties now? If we assume that around a decade passes between every trilogy/standalone (which seems to be the case) then anyone from the first trilogy should be decrepit graybeards by the time this third trilogy rolls around.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

He was only in his 50s? That explains it, then. I thought he was at least a decade older. There's plenty of people who stay strong well into their sixties, but for some reason I was convinced he'd be in his seventies in a theoretical second trilogy. A kickass seventy-year-old is harder to believe (certainly not impossible, but harder to believe). Of course, you've just spoiled the fact that Logen survives Red Country, which he wasn't certain to do.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

BSC/RC spoilers: You also see Carlot dan Eider in both books, shes named in BSC and plays The Mayor in Red Country. There are a few other minor appearances but I can't recall them offhand, I'll have to take a look when I get home.

BSC definitely fleshes out the characters, enough that I wouldn't want to skip it personally. It's also a fantastic book, one of his best.

Carlot dan Eider/the Mayor appears in part of the Trilogy, too. She's head of the Spicer's guild while Glokta's in Dagoska.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Shave his head and he'd make a good Bayaz, though.

What about Yulwei from the first trilogy? I'd say either the Old Spice commercial guy or Usher, if he's got the range for it. Dude was good in Hell on Wheels.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

My money's on psychological condition rather than possession. He's not possessed but is just having some kind of psychotic break. Which really doesn't do much to excuse all the mayhem he's committed when he's in control.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

syphon posted:

I don't remember him doing many cunty things when he wasn't the Bloody Nine (at least, none that couldn't be explained as responding to circumstance).

I'm not disagreeing, just saying that the Bloody Nine still isn't the same person.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I think he actually means it clicks. Maybe some bones broke and didn't quite heal right, and now when they move past each other, a 'clicking' sound is transmitted to the ear. I have something similar in my foot.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

But Logen's heart is pretty much poo poo.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Lemon cakes.

Never mind.

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 22, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

For the uninitiated (and too broke to swing $700), how exactly do these editions work? Did you buy a 'subscription' to Abercrombie's novels or something like that?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Those would originally cost, what, $100 a copy? Or were they pricier? May wanna get in on the up-and-coming sci-fi/fantasy author speculation game...

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know why they need to be relatives of past heroes protagonists, but heck I'll trust Abercrombie to it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird realization. Abercrombie's influenced by movies more than books. He can clearly spin a good yarn, but I was reading a screenplay recently and I realized it really reminded me of his writing style.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The rebellion's there for an outside-the-plot reason: westerns are almost universally set a few years after the American Civil War, and populated by shell-shocked veterans from both sides of the conflict.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It's been a while since I've read Red Country. Sworbruck is the writer, right? I think he's an homage to the writer guy from Unforgiven.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Mieville's pretty good, but he's a stylistic 180 from Abercrombie.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Northern Irish?

Yeah, I could see it.

Pierce Brosnan

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

After reading a few comics you can kinda learn to ignore it. But in my limited experience it seems pretty common.

I hope Abercrombie holds onto the movie rights much harder.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

TheWorldIsSquare posted:

he doesn't do that much evil in the actual books

Blew up a city
Laughed when the 'king' suggested building the survivors a hospital
Killed his girlfriend
Treated his apprentice like poo poo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Xenix posted:

Also, I don't know why this point is bold for emphasis when of the four things you posted, it's the least egregious offense in my eyes.

:thejoke:

But seriously, that was the first hint that Bayaz might not be a nice guy. I was still getting 'cantankerous old prospector' from him until he blew up those people in Adua, but his treatment of the Apprentice (what was his name?) gave me the idea that he might not be the traditional kindly mentor.

e:We're still spoilering The First Law, right?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 2, 2013

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

Maybe some of the Eaters do believe that their power is a curse to bear solely for revenge on Bayaz, but I doubt that applies to all of them. At the end of the day they're still monsters that need to eat other humans to function. If Bayaz were gone most Eaters would probably just keep being the horrible monsters that they are, and find new ways to justify their actions.

Is it clear in the books whether Eaters (A) merely lose their powers or (B) actually die when they stop eating human flesh? Because it's Abercrombie, my bet's on (A).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

keiran_helcyan posted:

It all depends on your definition of evil really. Hitler is a self serving power hungry rear end in a top hat, but he doesn't torture and murder people solely for his enjoyment. From my perspective Hitler is just like the countless other power hungry despots from real world history, only with an endless lifespan and a small amount of magic to give him an edge. I think that's partly why I enjoy him so much, he feels authentic.

Sure, real human beings are complex characters, but actions and results matter a lot more than intent. Bayaz's sole intention has been to increase his own power, and he's murdered and hurt God knows how many people over the millennia to get what he has.

I'll give you that he's one of the more interesting characters in the series, though.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Bayaz is a shitbird that learned how to fly.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Down With People posted:

I got the impression the The First Law trilogy as a whole is kind of rough in the way it sets up the characters and the setting. Maybe it's just me, but I felt that Abercrombie's ideas for things were fairly broad when he started, but that he had a much better idea of how he wanted things by the time he got to LAOK. So I guess his original idea was for Bayaz to be a sinister take on the grumpy wizard mentor, and by the end he had evolved into the egotistical control freak we know today.

That's just the impression I got though; maybe he's said something to the contrary on his blog.

He still answers fan mail every now and then. He might tell you/write a blog post about it if you ask. Especially if you focus on the writing process rather than the lore.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

In the world Abercrombie's created he's pretty much a saint. The only truly heroically good character I can remember is that religious leader in Dagoska.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah then he broke down and started to cry when he snapped out of it, that's one of the strongest implications to me in favor of this interpretation.

I'm still gonna go with serious psychological problem rather than possession, though. No reason to invoke the supernatural when you don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Blind Melon posted:

Impaled. Blacked out. Woke up injured and having won the fight.
Added complexity: If he went B9 during those duels, how are the people he dueled still alive?

The guys he fought were just that good? Except for Forley. Poor Forley :smith:.