Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I blew through TFL trilogy, then BSC, then The Heroes. Loved them all. I just want to see Logan again.

That scene in The Heroes, while the Northmen are charging through the fog in the Orchards on their way up to the Heroes... and then you hear fighting and people shouting . Union men running and screaming "THE BLOODY NINE! HE'S HERE!!". Then you hear his maniacal bloody laugh echoing through all the chaos.

I was so pumped at that point. I literally put the book down for a few seconds while I went "HOOOOLY loving poo poo!!!" And then I find out it was just a (good) ruse :(

I just started reading Red Country through, and I read in the thread that TB9 will make an appearance! Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Red Country spoilers:

Lamb is TB9, right?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They definitely were.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It should have been you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I didn't mind them. They reminded me of the dude in Raymond Feist's books who would always pull an orange out of his sack. I liked that dude.

Edit: Nakor

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

So I've finished the "Half a -" series. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? I pretty much loved all Abercrombie's stuff.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Heroes, Red Country, and the Shattered Sea series would all adapt well to the screen.

Who would play Logan?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Cerepol posted:

600/900 locations

Is this some kind of insane person's way of saying pages?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beastie posted:

You might be the only one itt that though Heroes sucked.

Yeah, I'd like to know what you didn't like about it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, so "sucked" was a bit of hyperbole. Let me re-phrase it and say that I liked it least out of the 6 books. I just didn't find it as engaging or exciting. Most of the original trilogy traveled around the world, and The Heroes was stuck in 1 spot the whole time. I just wasn't into it as much.

Now Dark Tower book 1. That SUCKED.

:lol: ok

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It baffles me that people didn’t like The Gunslinger.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I always pictured Logan as an extremely weathered Liam Neeson.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Xenix posted:

Except he's supposed to be in his late 20s or early 30s, iirc

Yeah well I'm not saying I'm correct. Just that is kinda always what popped into my head when reading the books.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

This argument is the worst.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You’re crazy. That was my favorite.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is the new book out on audiobook yet?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The new audiobook is reserved for the next 9 weeks at my library, which gives me enough time to listen to at least the entire First Law Trilogy before getting to it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I haven’t read the books in a while. Do they ever say why the eaters actually eat people? Does it give them power or something?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Does anyone use the Libby app for Ebooks/audiobooks? Is there a way to get an alert when a book is due back? This is the second book (A Little Hatred) where I didn’t realize my loan was up, so now I’m halfway through the book and it was automatically returned because I didn’t renew it, and now it’s going to take approx. 6 weeks before I can loan it again. :(

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

did anyone else find Leo really frustrating to read about

Like, he seemed like a pretty standard "eager young soldier" in all of his thoughts and actions, but everyone he interacted with just had so much contempt for him including his mom and his girlfriend and the omniscient narrator ("'But I want to do stuff,' Leo whined, petulantly, like a dumb little baby, god I hate this fucker"). Like, the parts with Rikke especially. Savine occasionally said things she liked about Orso; their relationship was pretty believable. But all Rikke did whenever she was in the same room as Leo, even when they were each other's fresh exciting new love interests, was think about how dumb and obnoxious he was.

I mean, Rikke thinks to herself a couple times how she likes his body, hair, and face, while disliking his personality, and whatever comes out of his mouth. I’m sure there’s plenty of people who have stuck around with someone they didn’t particularly like, because they were good looking enough to put up with it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

PopetasticPerson posted:

My favorite Bloody-Nineing is definitely Red Country, at the precise moment that Glama Golden comes to fully appreciate the severity of the degree to which he's just gone and hosed Up. It gave me chills the first time and every time I read it after that. It has the advantage of also really being quite sad that Logan just can't get away from that part of himself no matter how far he goes or hard he tries. :smith:

This was my favorite as well. The reader knows it’s Logan at that point, but watching Glama realize it was great.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Warden posted:

I finished my initial quick-read through the Trouble with Peace.

Holy poo poo, that was a wild ride.

Didn’t the book come out like 8 hours ago? That’s dedication.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Artonos posted:

I don't get my audible credit til tomorrow. It's killing me right now. I didn't plan this out well because I didn't realize the next book was dropping already.

You can return any book and get a credit back.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The book has only been out a week or so, come on guys.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Magitek posted:

I thought it was interesting that the voice narrator on the audiobook decided to use a voice very similar to Shivers when speaking as Jappo. It’s of those clues in the audio that can be noticed before it’s revealed in the text, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread. Steven Pacey really is top tier.

I don’t remember them being similar at all. Wasn’t Jappo’s very weird and unique?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Red Country is worth reading simply for the Glama Golden fight.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea there’s zero sexual assault or anything like that in any of his books. The depressing stuff people talk about is just that all the main characters don’t all get story book happy endings like in a typical story.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forgot it was coming so soon, that rules

Same, I’m excited.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oh poo poo it’s out?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Ccs posted:

The Heroes is good.

The Heroes is great

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I loved The Heroes and Red Country. Best Served Cold was good but didn’t slap like those two.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

While it certainly wasn’t his strongest book I still liked it a lot.

I probably missed something obvious but who’s the black haired boy at the end with Clover?

Also I really dug the set up at the end with Rikka’s long eye vision. Are we supposed to have any inkling who the creepy monster who speaks at the end of the vision is supposed to be?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

drat, I’m excited. It’s gonna be a long wait for the next book(s).

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can anyone recommend a book/series that scratches the same itch as these?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

loquacius posted:

realism (as opposed to idealism) in the approach toward war, immersive high-fantasy settings with rare magic, fantasy vikings that are cool but crude (and party dudes), etc etc

Mostly these three

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Devorum posted:

Yes, absolutely this. I wish there were more then three books and a couple of short stories.

I’ll check this out, thanks!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Booyah

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What book was Friendly in. Because he’s the best character of that book.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Apologize to my loving dice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I liked the new trilogy. It definitely wasn’t on the same level of the OG trilogy or Heroes/Red Country, but I felt it was just as good as all the other stuff he wrote.