Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

Cosca runs a group of amoral war criminals and rapists and will betray everyone for more money and safety

Any character who isn't a literal demon dedicated to doing nothing but evil for the sake of doing evil 24/7 will have people writing paragraphs in their defense, in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Suxpool posted:

rudd threetrees. the rock of uffrith. look no further for a man who only ever did what he thought was right.

Yulwei was also decent, at least for a magi.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm about done with the new one and so far really all i can say is im glad Glokta and Shivers get a fairly nice turn of things. Shivers especially just gets totally dumped on in that Styrian novel and just, goddamn.

My preferred ending for Glokta would be Rews actually shanking him, and I can't really buy that he wouldn't

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Vichan posted:

As seen in the previous trilogy non-eater magic users seem to be easily overwhelmed/tired.

Yulwei didn't seem to, imo. Bayaz just wastes his energy on big displays

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The original trilogy mentions that each Eater gets different abilities, though there are some things that are fairly universal it seems. Never really explains what determines these abilities, whether it’s something innate or if perhaps more advanced/older Eaters gain new abilities? We don’t see any of the 100 Words do anything really crazy when they face off Bayaz, but maybe he just nuked them too fast.

Honestly, Yoru’s bullet time seems like it got kind of added in later. He never used it and it wasn’t mentioned until The Heroes where he used it to defend Bayaz against an exploding cannon, which was the book after Shenkt was introduced. My sense is that after Shenkt was introduced Abercrombie was like “you know it really doesn’t make sense why Shenkt hasn’t just murdered Bayaz at light speed, so let’s give Yoru it as well”.

I thought so too, but he is actually described as moving with "impossible speed" at the end of LAoK, when he just chumps a pair of eaters with the divider. It's when he's disguised as Morovia. I do think it'd be neater if his thing was "only" the shapeshifting stuff and maybe a little general magic on top of that, so he'd seem more distinct from other eaters.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I really love the voices Pacey used for both Orso and Jappo, the negotiation between the two of them was a lot of fun to listen to.

I didn’t start listening to the audiobooks until ALH, now I kind of want to go back and pick up the audio versions of the other 6

They're worth it, imo. Pacey ftw

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

bayaz looks like a bald brendan gleeson, surely

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Terror Sweat posted:

This is a good fit, bayaz is a pretty thick guy

ya.and he's good as a guy who seemed like a such a kindly man 2 seconds ago, until he raised his voice in anger and now you'd like to be somewhere else

:cheers:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Just do whatever they do for Tom Cruise.

Cgi to make him look younger?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

shivers may be pretty enough, but logan can't not have a bruised slab of meat for a face. and body

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

he's a big guy, but not freakishly so iirc

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Scissorfighter posted:

Rereading The Blade Itself, we should have clued in on Bayaz being a villain when he ranted about the glories of colonialism outside the House of the Maker. Referring to the Midderland native population as: "Painted-faced savages, barely different to the beasts."

I know most fantasy novels are populated with essentially modern day people carrying out a haphazard medieval cosplay, but still...it would imo have been wierder for him to have been woke on the subject of colonialism than not

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Probably not, but then lotr has a very different tone overall than the first law series

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Well, I'm not sure I liked this one too much, but I might change my opinion a bit when I've had some time to reflect on it.

I will say Vic's story arc was immensely satisfying to me.

Really, her throwing away the signet ring and finally going off to chase her dream was the perfect ending for her. I'm also glad someone finally went "no" to the whole mess of schemers and masterminds all making the "hard choices for the greater good". It something that often grates on me, because I very often don't buy it. It's usually presented as this simple moral calculus like the trolley problem, but that's an imaginary scenario where you control all the variables. In messy reality you don't actually know how things will or would have turned out. Not even Rikka can see the future perfectly all the time.

Speaking of, presenting her decision to hand over Orso as sad but necessary pragmatism was bullshit. Oh right, Leo is really going to invade the north? Like he even could right now? And if he was so dead set on it, he'd change his mind about it over this? Tell him to gently caress himself and smuggle Orso off to Sipani. It feels like the right thing to do because it is.

I suppose I might also be a little soured on Rikka from before that, because her victory over Calder seemed kinda unearned. The reader sees her scheme coming from miles away, but everyone else is caught by complete surprise? Then there's like a series of 5 POVs in row all saying how "wow, can't believe how great this plan is, everything is going perfectly, and wow, can't believe someone as smart as Calder messed up so bad at everything", and it's this conga line of utter humiliation for the antagonists that makes it seem just...too easy? Meanwhile in Adua, Vic & Gorst (RIP) are literally fighting tooth and nail against bad luck and circumstances. Oh, some good luck with fewer guards in the gatehouse you intended to barricade yourself in? Turns out the bar for the door is also missing, enjoy!

Some other thoughts...Zuri being Ishri I think a lot of people saw coming, but was I the only one who thought Selest would turn out to be Tolomei? The first time she meets Savine, she makes a comment that nothing could have kept her from attending this party, why, even if Bayaz had locked her up in the house of the maker she would still have a found a way to attend. Guess I got hung up on that too much, but it seemed like a cute hint at the time

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Paddyo posted:

That's a good point. You hear an awful lot about Calder being this big schemer, but he never actually does much of anything on his own in the previous books.

Well, while it's true that Calders reputation might well be overblown, it's not like he has to be a genius here. Like, maybe consider the enemy might be pretending to be weaker than they are, maybe don't deathmarch your army, maybe wonder why your scouts don't return instead of walking blindly into an ambush by three (3!) other armies hidden around the battlefield. Bah. But I guess he did get the last laugh though, kinda.

Edit: And also, it's not really a complaint of tactical realism for me, it's that it wasn't (imo) very satisfying storywise. Just too smoothly sailed, and much too much praise heaped on them for it.

Crespolini fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 17, 2021

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I hope his story is done. He got a decent ending all things considered.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Concerning Rikke's last vision, Euz was previously said to have left for somewhere, so if it's someone returning...

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

ZombieLenin posted:

I am pretty loving disappointed about Orso. I mean, I guess I should have seen it coming because it is sort of what the author does.

It is probably going to take me a long time to be willing to reread the trilogy because of it though.

It does sucks, but it was written in stone from the first time he talks about how he hates hangings.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Genghis Cohen posted:

I know that plot movements in this series tend to be propelled by a cascade of betrayals and cunning ruses, each more cunning that the last. But it stretched credulity with the Northern military campaign. The Rikke weakness fake-out was telegraphed to the reader miles off, and it just doesn't make any sense! First off, feigning weakness is a terrible idea in a civil war when you're keeping the secret from the general population and your own supporters. Anyone actually trying that would find all their support genuinely would melt away, leaving them high and dry. It was also a bit insulting (I know it's just a casual fantasy read, not John le Carre) that Calder, this supposed wily fox, had precisely 2 spies and no scouts. How was he blind to the forces moving away and then back, he relied entirely for information only on one informant? (separate issue, as some have pointed out, of whether Bayaz should/could have helped with any of this, having already determined Calder was his horse to back) On a more down-in-the-weed tactical sense, how did 3 small armies close in on another, literally so close they could charge directly into them, while staying out of sight? That's beyond any normal ability at stealth or misdirection. The series has always been loose about military realism (fantasy early-medieval northern europeans taking on early-modern armies that sometimes have, and sometimes don't have, mass-manufactured plate armour) but this is ridiculous.

Oh, he had scouts. There a POV where one of Rikke's guys goes "Gee wiz, almost hard to believe we managed to gank of all Calders scouts and none of them got away." And it's like yes, it is. Even more so how that didn't tip Calder off to something being extremely wrong.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm sorta with you on that. I liked some of them, but thought it got a little much as a whole.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Hah, is the audiobook that's got people spelling Rikke as Rikka? I still want to check out what voices Steven Pacey used for this trilogy at some point.

Pacey FTW. He just adds so much, and the scene with Yoru going "knock knock" when he comes to kill Glokta (Glokter) makes me laugh just thinking about the voice he gives him.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

We don’t know that Orso is dead. We know that “there was a clatter as the trap dropped open” and we know that some dickery exists with the hanging machines. I’m not ruling out that they are dead but it’s not a done deal quite yet either.

Savine and Leo were both there, and when they're in private afterwards they talk about him being dead. That would be a very cheap fakeout.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Gantolandon posted:

I completely get why Rikke sold him out though; there was absolutely nothing to gain by smuggling him to the North and his mere presence could destabilize it before Leo even thought about getting him back. He was hosed as soon as he failed to get out of the city.

That's what Isern said, and Rikke wearily agreed, but...once they get out of Adua, why do they have to keep him at Carleon, exactly? Just send him on his way to Sipani.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The way the situation was presented, I guess I don't buy that these problems were insurmountable :shrug: Then again, the characters aren't obligated to agree with me either, it's just disappointing to me though.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

VagueRant posted:

Still trying to figure how Joe squares "we're all puppets caught in a brutal web constructed by our financial masters" with "but oh no, collective policy of the masses will just lead to everything on fire, those idiots don't know what they're doing".

Is it that we just need autocrats that are...more benevolent? One super smart Great Man who can make the hard choices but not be a oval office?

Joe (or the story) posits that there are no benevolent Great Men, only various degrees of Huge Cunts playing games with each others. One of them had every sane and competent revolutionary leader killed, so that the insane and incompetent ones could run things into the ground.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

The Heroes is S tier.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

How should the revolution have worked out?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

loquacius posted:

This would actually be a somewhat interesting direction for them to go with it, but if Vick and Pike haven't figured it out themselves I'm not sure who's around to remind them

You really shouldn't click on spoilered text until you finish the book, but if you insist...that is the direction they went with it, and Pike was in on it. Heck, he supervised it. Remember the 200 handpicked executions after Vallbeck? Broad keeps thinking back to it, musing how things might have been so different if only whatshisname was still around but oh, all that's left are Judges and Risenaus.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bayaz generally owns whenever he loses his cool. Whipping Jezal like a dog, then responding with laughing incredulity at his declaration of hatred. :discourse:

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

loquacius posted:

like the Purity Officers, overseers seeded into the People's Army to make sure every military decision is politically correct, which actually sounds pretty on-the-nose for what your Republican uncle thought the US military would become under Obama, and "purity" of course being a centrist buzzword meaning "criticisms of someone I like"

loquacius posted:

I did not know this and find it a satisfying explanation for the concept if perhaps not the name (a quick search did not yield the name of the French Revolution equivalent), thanks :)

Don't you think this might show the weakness of viewing this so much through the lens of contemporary cspam style us politics?

zerofiend posted:

I think it's more likely to be Glustrod, not Euz.

It has to be one of them, but I'm also in the camp that thinks it might be the latter.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Yes, but how do you know he's actually all that? It doesn't have to be all bullshit either ofc, could be something in the middle.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Glokta did it like he did because he doesn't want the revolution to work out. He's just using it to clean house. Then it's back to business as usual, except with Glokta pulling the strings now. He might ease up on the poor a little, but there was never meant to be a new system.

Also, Ishri and Savine weren't loving.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

We might get more books, but I don't think there's any specifics plans or anything?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Ainsley McTree posted:

I thought he said he intended for there to be three trilogies, so we should for sure be getting at least three more mainline novels. He seems to work pretty fast, so hopefully not too long of a wait (unless he needs more time to come up with good ideas, then i hope he does that)

Oh cool. I just saw he was working on another series now about devils or something. Like not in the first law world.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Social Animal posted:

I just finished the First Law trilogy and absolutely enjoyed it. Very interested in continuing through the rest of his books but I get the impression Best Served Cold is kind of a low point. I'm just going to be blunt, will I be chasing the dragon from here on out?

BSC isn't bad, and the next two are very good.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

It did seem odd to me that Bayaz was such a non entity through the last trilogy, but Rikki's vision shows that he doesn't have to respond to every little thing. He's like 400 years old, he can afford to sit in his tower and play the long game.

Way older than that

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Tosk posted:

Do I need to know anything going forward?

What are you worried about? The 99th page of book 2 will explode if read on a monday, so don't do that obviously, but otherwise I'm not sure what kind of problems you're envisioning?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Maybe its only two real duels, but there's like warmup events and a halftime show where they bring out a donkey, etc. You could easily make a big day of it.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Harton posted:

I need to go back through the new trilogy. I thought Bayaz killed Jezel though.

It's either Bayaz or Glokta. The problem is it only makes sense if Glokta did it, but also there's a scene where Bayaz looks directly at the camera and winks, while talking about Jezal dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It doesn't make sense for either of them.

Fine fine, it makes more sense for Glokta then, if you want to put it like that. But the narrative still makes out like it was Bayaz, so it's all very messy.