Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

amapolita posted:

There's a big loophole in our laws so every company abuse of outsourcing. You can have 3 years or more working on a company but you'll still work as an outsourcing by "firing" you and "hiring" you every 6 months and there's nothing illegal about it, in that way you never get the benefits as plant employee would get (like bonus, savings, raises, etc). You get the typical services like life insurance but that's all.

Protip: Some state labor boards are auditing like crazy these days. The "outsourced" contractor on a 1099 basis doesn't get payroll taxes paid on her salary. And the states are broke. So if a company is using a lot of contractors but treating them like employees (fixed hours, managed like an employee, assigned desk, uses company equipment, company email address, etc.) then they hit the company with back payroll taxes, penalties and fines.

New York hit us about six months ago. Hell, Microsoft lost a lawsuit over this.

Look into it and report it if it's being done to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Timo posted:

And on my last review, my only low mark was for "innovation."

If you kill her, do it in San Francisco, I'm due for jury duty again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Roneth posted:

THIS IS MY LIFE.

This doesn't sound like one of those places where people give notice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

It's 10 o' clock and I've run out of work to do. How am I supposed to fill the next six hours?

Grab a clipboard, go walk around the facility occasionally referring to the clipboard or making a note on it. If anyone asks, say you're doing an inventory. You can kill a day doing this with no trouble, and it's a good way to find out which groups keep the best snacks.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Da Grinch posted:

Sounds like big corporate life to me.

Apocryphal but true.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Solkanar512 posted:

What is the point of loving someone over like this? If you don't want them to work for you let them know.

If they quit, it's cheaper and takes less paperwork than firing them. It also allows management to just brutally gently caress with somebody until they DO quit. They love that[1].

[1] It's possible not all management types abuse people at work to make up for their tiny penises, however no example has been spotted in the wild.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Corbid Muriosity posted:

Yikes

Honestly, I never tell people this, but in your case I'll make an exception. Going through the executive offices with a shotgun and spending the rest of your life in jail would be an improvement.

The real advice is: start talking to lawyers. Even in a shithole like Kentucky this is bullshit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cheesus posted:

God I'm paranoid at the prospect of a future job interview and being unable to resist dissing my current place.

Practice saying either nice or ambivalent things out loud. Just whatever you do, don't diss the old job in an interview.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Esmerelda posted:

I've tried to find excuses not to go but it's sort of being hinted that it's mandatory.

Tell 'em you're putting the party and your travel time on your timesheet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

You're new here, aren't you?

Not with an interview like that :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Crowley posted:

Receptionists, I salute you all.

Executive secretaries, most of you can die in a fire.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MindlessHavok posted:

That's annoying. I can't wrap my head around why some people (my contractor, your replacement while you were on leave) that don't know anything about what's going on decide to make big changes without consulting anyone.

Whenever I've been put in that situation I do the bare minimum and if I have to make a bigger decision on something I ask someone there or defer to the person I'm taking over for.

They're trying to get noticed ! Make sure they do :devil:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Poop Cupcake posted:

Yeah I'm the youngest person here by at about 10 years (the next oldest manager is in her mid-30s). That's why they hired me from the temp company, I think, so I wouldn't be reassigned somewhere else. Training would be cool, and a raise would be even cooler, but this office is so disorganized that even both of those things together won't help much. We really need more people, bad, and a better organizational structure. Having my own office would be kind of awesome. Actually even having a cubicle would be really nice. :shobon:

Are you still with the temp company ? Are you at least still on good terms with them ? Ask for another assignment, give notice and insist on a fat raise to stay.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I'm actually job hunting today. It's a shame, because I really like my job otherwise and I would love to advance in it, but I just can't see it happening. :(

"No opportunity for advancement" will work any time you have a reasonable amount of time at the job you're leaving. I've used this in several interviews (senior IT positions near San Francisco) and every time it has been met with sage understanding.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

I think my HR hosed me over when I started this job. I interviewed for two position and got the title and pay for one (the least prestigious one) and the responsibilities of the other. My manager recognizes this though and promised I would get my title changed and pay adjusted to the appropriate level in January when the company does it's annual evaluation of employess. But I don't want to wait that long.

Is three months too soon to start applying for other jobs?

Find another job RFN. Ask you boss if he'll match the offer AND make the correct pay for your responsibilities retroactive to your start date. Then give your notice, 'cause there's no way that's happening.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Harry posted:

I don't know why people say to even ask the company to match the offer. I really just can't imagine this working out in your favor at all.

Professional courtesy.

fake edit: ^^^ and that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

There is exactly one thing I like about having a Christmas birthday. One.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Taliesyn posted:

Tomorrow I get to have my exit interview for the place that was vastly under-paying me while my boss kept trying to get me to commit fraud for him.

I really need to decide if I want to play nice so I can get a positive reference or tell HR the truth.

Decisions, decisions.

Get the reference from a co-worker or HR. Problem solved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xibanya posted:

If not, fill out an SS-8 and send it to the IRS. Your boss will get in deep poo poo for tax evasion and you can go forward paying 7.65% less in taxes.

This announcement brought to you by a person paid to sell payroll management service.

Also hit up the state labor board. A former employer got burned badly by NY over using contractors like employees. States are broke, they want those sweet, sweet payroll taxes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

cyberia posted:

And all I can think is that this must be SOP for their department. Every spreadsheet, print it out, tape it together and break out the crayons, it's colouring time! Holy poo poo.

Nope. "I'm sorry, I can't read your handwriting, please resubmit electronically."

My predecessor signed us up with Freshdesk. It isn't completely terrible, but I need a better time and project tracking package than any ticketing system. I do tickets ranging from major projects to short questions, plus a ton of self-initiated work. What are people using that makes it easy to track time spent and why ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

On occasion, I've wanted to send an email out to dudes in my office to implore them not to piss all over the toilet. But I've never considered posting up pictures all over the office of the messes we see around the toilets in the office.

I have been asked to create a mailing list for all of the women in one office because someone was just that shocked and needed to berate her bathroom mates. It was a hideous temptation to add myself and find out what the hell was going on in there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

fivre posted:

Haha not me!

I'm working til 7pm.

We're closed on the 24th and 25th. I traded my boss Christmas week for Thanksgiving, so I'm covering IT next week. It turns out that in a company that expects it's employees to act like adults my boss has very liberal definitions of available. I madea vet appointment for little old lady kitty for the 26th and didn't even consider sending a mass email.

I could get used to this. If I do, I can never work anywhere else again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Xandu posted:

Legal departments.

People using possibly EOL'd SAP products.

gently caress SAP, my last employer (under 75 employees) had two full-time positions dedicated to SAP, and couldn't keep someone to keep IT running sanely, or at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I talked to the boss man today and he told me to hold off on officially resigning for a day or two; he's going to look into laying me off instead so I get a severance package since layoffs are looming anyway.

If it doesn't get green-lighted then I'll just quit the old fashioned way.

Well, it's not his money.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Keetron posted:

No idea's here, but you know your team best. Seeing the brass himself asked for it, you can do whatever and he will participate. Pick something your people like and you are golden. Another tip is to have it appeal to the senses, such as taste and hearing...

In the afternoon, after 15:00 or something, do a simple wine tasting followed by a drum workshop. I am not even kidding, get them drunk and let someone come in with a bunch of big tin drums and sticks and together create a bunch of noise. Thanks to the alcohol and physical nature of drumming, people will get lightheaded and think it was fun.

I did a Scotch tasting at work once. I went to a great store (Cask, 3rd and Market in San Francisco) and bought a bunch of great Scotch company dime. Then I made up labels, put together a good line of patter about all of them, and set the thing up.

That was also my one goal assigned at my only performance review I had in 3.5 years. Just my good luck it came after two rounds of layoffs in three months (that saved the company, it can be done right) so my review was done by the new GM who had nooooooooo idea what the hell I did all day.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

There is no accounting for taste.

Sure there is, it's called the invoice you send them after you implement their lovely color scheme. That invoice pays off in pure green.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

I haaaaaaaaate when people don't have their phone number in their sig. I am a consultant and work almost exclusively with people outside my company and I can never call anyone if they're not answering emails.

It's a feature, not a bug. Well, for them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

lavaca posted:

Given that I expect the terminal to be used primarily for $5 transactions, perhaps it is for the best that this is such a fiasco.

Sign up with Square using company accounts, have their card reader ready to go. Be a hero.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

My old company did this. There were some hiccups for sure, but a handful of amazing people and everyone on top was extremely smart and competent. Our 50+ jobs in the US literally would not have existed if not for being able to hire these huge teams of developers in India.

The exception that proves the rule.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Ask him when he gets his next job.

:yotj:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Once upon a time I worked for a company that hired an Australian as CFO. The very first thing he did was to find the local bar and open a company tab. We did a shitload of "team building" in the years that followed. I really miss working for that guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Can't get a response out of any of the local management via email. Just about to lose my temper here, needed to vent. I came back into the corporate world to get -away- from being shorted on my checks, damnit! :argh:

On the plus side, in IT the odds are good that your manager will be embarrassed about it. HR sure will be.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Well the beauty of the legal system is that these distinctions aren't clear-cut, so it could be argued either way. Certainly for the cost of six hundred dollars an hour you may be able to find a legal practitioner who can help settle this distinction by billing for many months of exhaustive legal research.

Or for free by contacting the state labor board with an anonymous complaint on behalf of everyone who worked there.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Keetron posted:

actively preventing success so that people can receive low ratings.

Someone is getting a bonus for cutting costs. Time for her to :yotj:

Like I just did.

:yotj:

(from nothing to very little, but it'll pay the rent)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

:lol:

While I was out on semi-vacation (AKA took vacation days, left town, but still got called into conference calls for multiple hours every single day), our HR department screwed the pooch on contractor relations and lost literally 100% of my department's contractors, plus two of our FTEs. Net loss: 13 employees out of 16. Long story short, some dickbag in HR decided that they wanted to force a mid-contract pay reduction on a certain contract agency they work with, with a "take it or GTFO" sort of stance. The agency told HR to drop dead and recalled all their contractors, costing me 100% of my department's temp scientists because they were all through that organization. Not sure what the gently caress happened with the FTEs, but they're gone too.

I now have 3 employees (myself included) to do the work of 16, no budget for new contractor requisitions, and am expecting a further increase in workload for 2015 on top of all that. July cannot come quickly enough.

Ahahahahhahahahaha. Sorry.

Sounds like HR isn't in a good position to push back on you billing them for the conference call time instead of burning PTO.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

SpartanIV posted:

Anyone ever had a consultant refuse to work with them? I haven't yet but I think this might be the one. My managers are having me email him relentlessly asking him for quotes that we need exact answers for but cannot provide any specifications to.

So I send something like "How much would it cost for a commercial?" and I'm unable to even provide the length of the commercial we want, yet my managers want some kind of "ballpark" answer. He writes back with some huge range of numbers and then I have to go back and ask exactly what is covered between the lowest figure and the highest figure in the quote. Rinse and repeat with ever more intricate questions into his ridiculously unspecific original answer.

I also had to send him these questions while he was at a funeral, so that's probably not helping either.

My last boss for a responsible-level gig had me go back to our network consultants three times for tweaks on a quote for a whopping seven hours of work. I'm still surprised I got an answer the last time. By the time I got laid off I was already looking anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Swink posted:

Is it like that storyline in Hornblower where the captain goes crazy but everyone still has to obey his increasingly dangerous orders?

I don't think I hated it THAT much.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Has anyone else's boss managed an exit this haphazardly? This guy is great, but this sort of :ohdear: management style is part of the reason why staying isn't appealing.

I've seen an onboarding happen that shabbily. The team was made of of lifers, established, and brand new people. There were three more recent people about due to transit from contract to perm. The first one through got it, but the announcement that that tech had been made permanent was handled in a whispered discussion, at the table, with everyone present, during a staff meeting. There was apparently some sensitivity over announcing good news while simultaneously calling out the next two techs as not pulling their weight.

Somehow I suspect that could have been handled with more foresight.

e:

Xandu posted:

How do you even get access to a SQL database without knowing how to run a query? All that poo poo is locked down at my work.

Sounds to me like it was a case of not knowing to run a query. If all someone has is rote knowledge of exactly what they need to do their job and nothing else, then the idea that "I can move those numbers over here" might not occur to them.

Raise a glass in sadness to these poor folks, they never get the lightbulb over your head feeling.

Not with computers anyway.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 9, 2015

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

General trend in any big pharma is that re-orgs will occur approximately every 6-12 months, non-stop.

I survived seven rounds of musical chairs at PFE before the 8th round in 4 years took all the chairs away. I arrived at Lilly in between cycles and so didn't hit any there before leaving on my own 1.5 years later. This is my 3rd round in ~2 years at J&J.

I haven't noticed that pattern at Big G; I would have noticed post-layoff chaos and despondency when I started and they opened a new building this summer. In fact, the only cult like behavior I've noticed is a fanatical determination on HR's part to stay in the Top 100 Places To Work. After 9 years in creative agencies I'm still twitchy 10 months in dealing with sane people every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Sundae posted:

I'm going to play it out and see what they'll offer, sure. I'm just not getting my hopes up on this one anymore.
Worst-case scenario, I arrange a Friday interview and spend the weekend seeing the Redwoods before flying back. :)

Company name starts with a G ? In SSF ? Early leader in biotech ? Fantastic place to work, wonderful people on staff. I'm just a contractor, but I say if you can fix their salary expectations about you and get some relocation, go for it.