Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is it no longer illegal to require those outside of law enforcement and such?

*laughs in Northern Virginia job listings*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Car Hater posted:

Offices should be fired into the sun

edit, plus post+name combo

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s annoying how much better <any large American chain> is overseas.

Edit applies to many things, especially 7-11 in Japan.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Just started a new job where there's a badge in, no badge out. But one of the parking garages is badged on both sides, so I could use the garage that is "employee only" and lets any car exit.

My whole team is elsewhere, and 95% of my partner teams are also somewhere else. Right now I'm just sitting by a friend whose team I'll probably transfer to when they have an open req.

It's all so stupid. 3 years of remote, I was actually somewhat excited to work with people again... and yet I'm back to working remote in a multi-billion dollar office. They don't even have free snacks.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Awkward Davies posted:

(I'm aware that making millions off your equity is rare and I'm not suggesting anything)

In fact it’s probably the right idea in most cases, especially acquisitions, to pay only a little attention to equity. I don’t mind it as a lottery ticket if the cash comp still pays the mortgage, but it rarely pays off like that. After being at many startups where nothing happened, I joined a company 2 years before the IPO. The private price doubled in that time, then there were rumors of the IPO being 12x my strike price (I would have been a millionaire then). But then it IPO’d at only 2.5x my strike, and by the time the lock-up was up, it was barely worth a bonus check and even briefly sank below the strike price. When I got let go a few months later in layoffs, I cashed them out in order to pay for some new windows in the house. RIP my dream Porsche :(

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
sr manager: “we had to find <team lead> a project, otherwise this team wouldn’t have had any deliverables for the year”

not a great sign for the new team/company I just joined

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
It’s week 5 and I haven’t been assigned a ticket, and it just had contractors before. All of these people in the broader department have been here for 10-30 years? So yeah, either they will continue to be here forever, or won’t make it past January. No in-between.

I’m already trying to see if there is something else available just in case, because apparently I have rotten luck. Been laid off twice since July 2022 in major layoffs, the second came after only after 6 months. (Got to keep the massive signing bonus tho and a sweet laptop.) But I’d like to just be able to chill and touch computers without looking over my shoulder!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I miss Remote working now that I have 30-45 minute door to door commute each way. if I spend any time with the kiddo or sleep in in the morning, the commute wastes more of my time. I hate it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Deadite posted:

Oh man I think I’ve complained about this before but I’m the only one on my team in this state but I’m still required to come to the office now. No amount of complaining can get me a work from home allowance.

I just joined a fairly large company after getting laid off from another large company in the tech layoffs. It was weird working at a remote only gig for 6 months, never meeting except via zoom, then getting laid off with 2000 other people I never met. Very isolating experience.

So I went into this new job glass half full, knowing the commute wasn’t too bad and I’d get to work with people again. 50% Hybrid, not the worst possible thing and it was one of the few places I got to the final round with anyway. (This was a very rough summer for job searching in tech, despite my 10+ YOE)

But it turns out my entire team is 90 minutes away at a different location. Not a single person here. So now I’m in a multi-billion dollar co-working space (we don’t get our own desk) and there’s talk of full RTO soon. Fortunately I can transfer teams after a certain point (and may look for a different and smaller job after a year), but it does make my eye twitch having to deal with traffic again just to be a literal number on an attendance sheet.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Lockback posted:

Sorry just saw this whats up

*sends zoom invite, no other message*

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
“Met them while networking” is the term to use here. works for rich people in country clubs, why not us too!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I joined 2.5 years before my company IPO’d in Q4 2021. If able to sell at the IPO price, I would have cleared $300k. Instead, by the time the lockup happened, the market started falling and only ended up making around $30k post tax. Not nothing, but there were moments that the stock was below my strike price. I ended up making more than that in a signing bonus at a larger public company few months after getting laid off from the newly public company. And looking at that company now, it’s far under my strike price. So even going public is no guarantee to it being profitable to anyone but early employees or VP+.

I still would recommend start-ups if the salary and work-life balance is right. I appreciate having a bit more autonomy and impact at a smaller company than being a cog in a huge company. Big chance to learn lots of different skills too. But not respecting PTO… that’s a red flag no matter what size the company is.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
never trust a blue check

or a CEO who tweets way too often

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I got a work phone and it is nice to not have even the temptation to look at Slack or work email on the personal phone after 5 pm. i’m not sure why they gave me one because I don’t need it need it, but I’m not gonna argue it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Proof of Insurance was a big one when my insurance company decided to be dicks about a charge from a prior year and it took hours of coordination between me, the old company, and the health insurance to prove that it should have covered said charge. Only thing that saved me was PDFs that proved we were covered and it was their documentation that was wrong.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Any time we need to discuss something later, I’m gonna suggest we “middle click it” (and never close that tab but also never look at it again)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Guy Axlerod posted:

I recently heard about a gambling software company going bankrupt in the same city, and their tech team was trying to get hired as a unit. Only one person out of the group was willing to get hired separately. Before that went anywhere, the owner of the old company started a new company or some poo poo and took everyone back, and they loving went for it. Poor souls.

is this a OpenAI story from two weeks from now?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Renegret posted:

6 weeks into 12 week babby leave and I just wanna say:

Hey this whole not working thing is pretty great. I can do this for the rest of my life.

The only, ONLY benefit of being caught up in tech layoffs twice since 2022 was that I essentially got two more parental leaves: one when she was 8-10 months and again when 16-19 months old. It was awesome to get to spend a ton more time with her and definitely makes me rethink how to approach work. Maybe I could push hard to get some promotion, but most likely it won't result in significant progress and instead I could leave before traffic gets real bad and get the afternoon with her.

Now looking ahead to our second being born, I'll have a much shorter leave than my first one gave me, and I'm pretty disappointed by that, but glad to have a job and insurance to make sure the second will be taken care of, and find ways to spend time with her too.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I started in August, my manager already said I’m gonna get a “Too New” score, so anything I put in there will be solely from ChatGPT

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

pmchem posted:

...what kind of "criticism" by a CFO gets the CFO a call from HR?

slurs, has to be

also if it’s a smaller/youngish startup (~5 years) that didn’t have a CFO until recently, head of HR might be employee number 3 and might actually have more pull.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Awkward Davies posted:

I’ve also heard Amazon blows to work at.

Good news! lots of companies are importing Amazon ideas and managers, so lots of companies will also suck for the same reasons!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
this thread is a treasure

https://x.com/theashleyray/status/1742258957731930186?s=20

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That was my 2019. We got an email to extend the winter break until the Monday the 7th, when we were supposed to come back on Wednesday the 2nd. Sweet! Love an extra break.

And then when we came in on Monday, 20% of the company (out of 60 people) were gone, including the new CEO that showed up in October that was supposed to launch us towards an exit in the next 18-24 months. Okay, panic time, but the investors are open to trying to figure out a pivot. Worked our asses off to refocus the product.

The next Tuesday, most of the company was laid off (including me), and ghost crew left just to navigate a sale of assets.

At least hiring budgets are open again now… good luck with the job search. New you new job!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I was actually kind of excited to work in an office again (hybrid). Nice to get out of the house, commute under 30 minutes on a bad day, and had some friends who worked there so it would be cool to see them more often. Big emphasis on tracking “swipes” at this company, so at the top level, they want folks coming into their fancy new buildings too.

And then I get dropped into a team that is all located at a different office and is terrible at working remotely. Day 1 in the office, there’s no one to greet me. My manager set my working location in the wrong tower (and hasn’t fixed it). Didn’t find anyone that was even tangent to my team until months later, and I just get lunch with them sometimes as our day to day work doesn’t cross over.

So yeah, I’m at a random desk near my friend (and hopefully transferring to that team) or holed up in a phone room. Definitely no “chance hall way meetings” that execs love to claim is necessary for productivity and spark, and I’m looking to probably go back to remote work after my signing bonus is fulfilled and my resume doesn’t look like a complete mess after dealing with tech layoffs twice.

There’s some cool perks (good food, onsite gym for a really good price) but with a toddler & another on the way, I’m definitely not staying late to get drinks either. Dumb!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
“we hear you, and we don’t fuckin care”

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
There’s a few AI things that I’ve been hearing about here, but it’s mostly of the “we can use this to reduce headcount or have the existing headcount do 2x the work”

congrats! more people laid off, and the bottom line looks great! *champagne pops*

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wanna know what’s up with people who take meeting calls in the god drat toilet. Like I’ll walk in to take a piss and someone is in the stall just talking business.

https://youtu.be/DQ5VfKSYvSk?feature=shared

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
hide a “home leak detector” behind the toliet, it sounds a loud alarm if it detects liquid

then you can tell immediately when the person comes running out from the noise and everyone can be horrified and pretend it didn’t happen when it’s revealed to be an executive

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Grok Gorilla would have been fine before Elon stole the term for his hellsite

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what does fellow mean for computer touchers?

Funny you mention it, I just saw this job posting for a data science role at the Dallas Cowboys. Thought it might be a high level position and thought to apply until … they are using “fellow” to mean “summer intern”?

> We are seeking a highly skilled and passionate Strategic Football Fellow to join our dynamic team as a summer intern with the potential to be extended to a season-long internship.

https://x.com/johnpark_52/status/1760077528905986216?s=20

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My wife wants to increase her hours at the hospital. Goes to her manager, has a good chat and tells her to email the request so it’s in writing and can get it approved. She had kept her hours shorter to help with the kiddo, has had great reviews the last two years. The department also struggles to hire more folks to keep up with churn. Should be plenty of availability to go back to full time.

Two days later, replies with a terse “sorry, we can’t do it. Ask your scheduler for more hours.” She’s now spending the rest of the day looking for a different job instead being happy to have the comfort of the promised increase in hours (and pay)

gently caress Jeff!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
gently caress Jeff’s boss!

The trust is gone anyway, a decent boss would have at least pulled her aside and apologized after making such a promise. Nope, just an email and then dodging her all day

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Tomfoolery posted:

To add to my previous email - I think we can agree that people called Jeff are the most put-upon minorities on these forums, so please do something nice to a goon called Jeff over the next week. Jeff lives matter.

mods rename this man “Jefffoolery”

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Worked at a company that had more Daniels (3) than women (2) in the software engineering department.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

the fact that three different developers keep incorrecting each other about it tells me that I'm right.

I love this. It paints a vivid picture.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A more coherent plan than some teams I’ve been on.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Plus 1 to Obsidian. It won’t immediately make everything work together, but at least it has a lot of settings and plugins that might help.

And if you have lots of documents and projects that need sorting, this is an interesting system. https://johnnydecimal.com/

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I love the idea of going to China without abiding by their rules. Good luck with that!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
.65 cents a mile * 254 miles to the ISS = 165 bucks if you take your own vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That cargo is never gonna get past customs