Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ethiser posted:

I admit I'm a crazy person but I voluntarily wear khakis and a polo/button up shirt to work. Mentally it helps me separate work time from private time and I think a nice pair of khakis is comfortable.

I love wearing suits to work. They make me look good and feel good. Ties I can take or leave, but even that is a fine nod towards formality that I'm happy to keep up. I can't be the only one to feel this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the call center director was fired in front of everyone

Literally all you had to say. Jesus Christ, who does that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also if you have a bad attitude in an office setting lol working in the trades.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

lavaca posted:

My current boss is being reassigned to a special project so we are getting a new boss. My department has five managers and each manager supervises a team of analysts. The new boss is very good at her current job but has never managed more than three people before. Please tell me this will work out in the end.

If she's good at managing three people she's probably good at managing more than three people. The scale doesn't really change the basic skill... The real problems come when they lack the basic skill.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
"You don't need a raise, we're grooming you for your future!"

Don't worry about what *could* happen 6 years from now. Focus on a much shorter term than that. In 6 years you could go get a degree and work for 2 years and make more than whatever they're offering, if that's what you wanted. 6 years is as noted an eternity.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

meanolmrcloud posted:

Sure I'll come to a nice conference in a nice resort town and take what amounts to a week off. Uh sure I'll come to a fancy 7 course meal on the company dime. Uh wow the directors wife is embarrassingly drunk. Man, my boss is being a huge rear end in a top hat to my coworker, who will later admit to me her depressing weed addiction. Is that...uh ok One unit director is becoming more despondent as dinner continues and is staring into the table candle for long periods of time. Whoa, the other unit director is also wasted and talking mad poo poo about everyone under her. Uh oh man, so this is my fiancée you are all meeting for the first time. This was a bad idea.

This is a great post.

I'm at a new employee work conference thing and it's v good but man it bugs the gently caress out of me when co-workers are super "rah-rah this is a great company and everything they poo poo is in fact gold"... I like what's on offer here but I don't need to hear that talking about salaries is somehow disloyal (e: from other employees, I am not sure I'd actually get that response from management).

I think the issue is that my co-workers are real young.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't sign it, tell them to remove your access from the training website. Unless you think the training is worth 6200$.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Work provides me a cell but everyone wants to just ping you with Skype rather than call so whatever.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

spincube posted:

It's Christmas soon, which means our regular suppliers are dropping by with tins of biscuits, bottles of wine, and so forth. Operations Manager, however, has the receptionist on strict orders to first turn down any such gifts; or, if they insist, have them put aside 'for donation'.

Corporate policy, meanwhile, is your boilerplate 'declare anything with an obvious conflict of interest or over 50 groats, otherwise who cares' :tipshat:

Anything from a supplier is a clear conflict of interest.

Good for your manager.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

I think having to fire so many stupid people over the years is starting to gently caress with my head, honestly I'm not sure what I believe anymore. We can't even have COOKIES goddammit

The suppliers aren't giving them out of the goodness of their hearts. These aren't personal gifts or they wouldn't be going through reception.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, who wants a home depot internship that badly.... But that's honestly pretty cool.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

I really hope (?) that it's Home Depot corporate.

Also our lobby is flooded.

Probably corporate. The guy who posted it is corporate and has some interesting articles on LinkedIn.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

areyoucontagious posted:

My boss just asked to be copied on every email I send. Every single one. She followed this demand with "I'm not stepping on your toes, I'm just making sure I don't send out duplicate emails." I'd be worried about my job if she wasn't doing this to every person in the department. Then she has the balls to bitch about the number of emails she gets every day, "200 new emails since 9AM, when does it stop :v:".

:fuckoff:

Haha what the gently caress. This is amazing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't CC her, but then forward the sent emails to her with a note saying you forgot to CC her.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

I tried the "filter CC emails into one folder" trick for a while but at this point I get CC'd on a bunch of stuff where I'm asked to act on something so I end up reading them all in a pretty timely manner and moving half of them to my inbox anyway.

I CC people on things that I still expect them to read, just not necessarily action. I feel like this is normal.

Filtering everything you get CCd on to another folder you don't read seems like an odd choice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If someone more junior than me sent me a pdf that was sideways I would tell them to gently caress off and fix it too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno. If my organization isn't the best fit for you right now, but you're still worth recommensing, I am better off having you leave amicably. Even if it's to the competition - competition isn't nearly as clear cut as it can seem to outsiders. I guarantee I'm not the only person who thinks this.

Organizations that cut off their noses to spite their faces are dumb and bad.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

counterpoint:

sardines are the loving best

(if I eat them at work I drain the oil/throw the can into an air tight plastic baggy before putting it in the garbage so it doesn't stink up the place)

counterpoint

don't eat stinky fish at work what the gently caress is wrong with you. do you have a home? eat them there.

Most places seem to have policies about scents these days. My work certainly does.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Run it through Google translate and call it a day

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pryor on Fire posted:

Using google translate for anything is a great way to get fired. It's garbage.

Agreed. On the other hand if translating isn't part of your job you shouldn't be asked to translate things.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

greazeball posted:

My friend told me about the worst team building day ever. They're in Germany and the management is German. So the first thing they do is go for a swim in the lake--management are super proud nudists so they all get their dicks out and hop in the water. Then they all visited a concentration camp. Then they walked to the hotel where they were spending the night except they got lost so it took three hours rather than one and a couple of the people had various injuries to hips and knees that meant even an hour of walking would have been pushing it. Then there was a little break before the big team building activity: speed-dating style feedback! Everyone sat across from someone and for the first 30 seconds you told them things they could improve and for the second 30 seconds you told them things you liked about them and then you instantly moved to the next person! Then dinner!

this owns

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hoshi posted:

This company easily has the worst HR I've ever dealt with. This was a generic email sent through their application site so I'm sure I'm not actually being considered and it actually just went to any application that could be delayed by the freeze. I wish they would just reject me already.
They did. Move on with your life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chainclaw posted:

As a counterpoint to the obvious "this is their weird way of rejecting you", my first job in my current career was one of those. I had applied for a position, and got back the "we'll keep your resume on file" line. Then, 4 months later, they called me back, scheduled an interview, and I got the job.

This was true for my current job as well - I wrote it off and then got an offer out of the blue like 4 months later.

Doesn't change the fact they need to assume that was a rejection and move on with their life.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

melon cat posted:

And I'm pretty sure that it's all because college career centres give terrible networking advice. I've even had new grads sit down with me at actual industry events and say, "Hey I'm _______, and I just thought I'd network with you."

Like, 'the gently caress? Who does that?

:shrug:

They risk nothing by doing that, and many people will respond positively to proactive behaviour like that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigDave posted:

Can confirm, schools suck at helping students get jobs.

The best guidebook I ever read for how to meet new people and move up in a organization? Donnie Brasco.

Donnie got a job by just showing up where industry professionals were and attempting to network with them, although he was more subtle about it.

Halloween Jack posted:

I recall reading some pet peeve blog posts from IT professionals, complaining how tired they are of every single student they talk to dropping them a small handwritten thank-you note later.

Yeah I hate when people make an effort too. gently caress that noise.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

This a very good illustration of why fetishising "making an effort" is dumb. Like the fact that something takes effort for you automatically makes it not-annoying for other people

e: That said, while hand-written thank you letters for a meeting are insanely dumb I don't think it makes sense to hold it against somebody, navigating these norms is hard and different people want and expect contradictory things.

So they want to make an effort (because low effort work gets you things like misspelling company names), but not too much of an effort, because then they might be try hards or waste someone's time (because receiving a hand written note somehow takes time out of a person's very busy schedule).

Making an effort is exactly what most university grads should do, because other than their grades (which everyone is quick to call out as not mattering) they have very little to differentiate themselves at that stage of their career.

e: it does go without saying that if their effort results in crap then maybe they shouldn't make the effort, but then their problems go deeper anyway

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

melon cat posted:

I don't see why anyone would respond positively to someone publicly and openly applying to another job while they're... on the job. It's just not professional at all. She would've been better off asking if she could talk to me more about my line of work, or shown some sort of interest in the company that I'm working for. Because the whole thing came off as really desperate. That's not a good first impression anywhere. Nobody hiring for any worthwhile position has ever said, "I hired her because she seemed really desperate."

Eh, I misinterpreted what you were saying. I didn't get the "while on the job" part, nor that "hi I'm here to network" was the totality of their attempt at networking. "Hi, I'm here to network - this is where I'm positioned and this is what I've heard about your organization and blah blah blah do you want to keep talking" is a good intro for someone who is trying to get their feet wet though.

quote:

Also, giving a complete stranger a positive reference is a great way to torpedo your reputation, given the risk of things going really badly with this random person that you shoe-horned into the job. There's a proper way to network, and a not proper way to network.

Agreed that you would not give a reference blind. If we were doing a hiring process and a second hand reference was passed through I would probably give them priority for an interview though, all else being equal. It has a cost and carries some risk that I'm just wasting my time even looking at them as a candidate, but conversely it has a chance to save time if the reference is good, and it builds my relationship with whoever passed me the reference, regardless of the outcome.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I put my ultra marathon stuff at the bottom of my resume, because it's a reasonably unique hook that can easily be translated into work attributes (persistence, dedocation, etc) and it's a quantifiable achievement. Similarly I include career relevant extra curriculars like toastmasters. What I don't get is when people take up space to say they like reading and sports.

When I did a lot more interviews I did like having something there that I could talk to that wasn't strictly about the job, but still about the other person.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's pretty big in some corporate spheres. My company has like 6 clubs across two locations in this town alone.

I would guess that the quality and feel of each club will vary dramatically from club to club, but one thing I've liked, that I didn't expect was that there is a moderate focus on running an efficient meeting. You've got to have agendas, the meeting should start and end on schedule. The meeting should proceed in order with minimal divergence from the agenda.

It's also been nice because it's introduced me to several people from different departments, and that doesn't hurt.

I started attending a lunch club a couple years ago and holy poo poo yes. Toastmasters is really good for improving your public speaking but it's very good at showing you what a good meeting looks like (in a well run club).

The one thing I don't like about my new job is that I can't attend my toastmasters club anymore.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleButterfly posted:

Me neither :raise: For what it's worth, we did move to a new logo (Upper left of the page) in 2011.

Nobody told my club. I haven't been in months but I went to the international area speech contest last night and sure enough goatse greeted me at the door.

I miss public speaking. Some of the speakers were so so so bad. The best part about toastmasters is how female the group is (17/30 last night between speakers and audience were women). The worst part about toastmasters is how old the group is (maybe 5 people under 40, maybe 10 people under 55).

I think I might start up a club at work.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Volmarias posted:

I especially hate "tell me about a time when..." style questions. I don't know, I have a terrible memory. Enjoy the example I just made up from half remembered truths even though I'm sure I could point you to great examples of things if I actually had a non stressful period to think.

I've been to places where you write out your answer in advance and then speak to it during the interview itself.

So unrelated: I work at a place where we have a formal coaching program. My coach recently quit. As I develop the relationship with my new coach (who I chose) does anyone have suggestions for the types of questions that would help me get he most out of coaching. It's not explicitly mentoring but if anyone has been a mentee that's more what I'm going for. I'll have some specific corporate stuff too but I know what to ask there.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fits my needs posted:

Lol, what is the point of being salaried if you still have to track all your hours? Pretty much just getting screwed out of overtime to work the same in most cases. Or your boss forces you to fudge the numbers.

Consulting company. Log your hours on like 3 or 4 different systems. Get nasty emails if you forget. No OT anyway.

(still love my job)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I don't know your industry, but I haven't heard of many companies that are perfectly okay with "I only worked there for a month" without a really good explanation like " because they refused to pay" or "because I was sexually harassed from the word go". My knee-jerk reaction is to say "keep looking if you know you're going to leave in a month".

That's where you just don't mention the job at all.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The theme where you don't know how to use a spellchecker

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trabant posted:

Had a phone interview the other day, with the hiring manager who was -- in his own words -- "intentionally vague" about the details of the job. The posting itself was quite generic too.

This is with a company I used to work for. And, granted, I now work for a direct competitor. But this isn't Apple and we're not talking self-driving cars... I'm just gonna be another drone, if a slightly higher-level one. So it's a little odd to not even give examples of the projects I'd be working on, isn't it? Or am I looking for red flags where there isn't one yet?

I think being intentionally vague about the projects is correct on his part. Even low level drones can do damage with the right information.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

One of the perks of being one of only three men in an office of 12 regular staff: any time someone brings in treats that aren't fruit or vegetables, no one actually eats any of them. A vendor for some HR crap brought us a box of cupcakes this morning and I guarantee there will be some for me to take home on Friday. See also: any day where our lunch delivery includes a cookie.

to take home on Friday? gross

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm fairly new to consulting and on my first questionably managed project and man.... I thought we were the ones you paid to do it right. Our rates would certainly imply that's what you pay for.

At least (other people's) failure gives one a chance to shine.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Don't hold a grudge, do look for a job elsewhere.

Gotta put in the time is some stupid bullshit, because you know they will hire someone external who did not put in the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lean is cool, six sigma is cool, agile is cool. All this stuff works and is good if you actually implement it properly. The problem is people thinking a framework is a substitute for doing the work.

E: or that the framework is filled with optional components. Like if you don't do scrums or lessons learned or kanban and instead just say "let's work real hard and recap what we did every week that's a sprint right" you're not loving doing agile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think the biggest thing with something like Excel is that if you're going to learn it on your own you need to come up with a project that provides context to your work. Learn excel is just too nebulous to really have the learning stick. My brother for example got super into Excel to track golf data for gambling purposes. Now he's all about pivot tables and fancy formulas and whatnot. I think he even uses a little VBA once in a while.

In terms of how to actually learn - depends on how you learn, but for me I'm a fan of the poke at it til it breaks strategy, googling when I get stuck. This only works when you have a project to work towards though.