Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Honestly, I don't even think it's your job to tell him to stop, though if you feel comfortable doing so, it's certainly a good idea. And if you don't, that's what managers and HR reps and flamethrowers are for.

It's actually his job to know that this poo poo is unacceptable in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In conversation with our de facto HR person* today: "It's not like we're handing out raises."

Good to know!

___
*We have no actual HR. It basically ends up being whoever wants to handle it/whoever draws the short straw among our senior management.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ryan8723 posted:

My company has short and long term disability for these situations. You are still paid for all of those days. Granted the company I work for has fantastic benefits because it's an upstream oil and gas company (all upstream oil and gas companies are like this) and it's not remotely normal for the business world.

Most places I've worked have had at least long-term disability options offered, though in all but one case (the one case was a government job, unsurprisingly) it only pays a percentage of your salary while you're on it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bo-nus? Sorry, I don't understand your arcane foreign lingo.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

basx posted:

Sometimes, that's intentional. Managers typically do this to people they aren't getting their money's worth from. Either the person then starts adding value by doing more, or they "burn out" because they don't get to spend half the day on Facebook anymore and quit in a huff.

Either way, it's a win!

Oh, I'm sure it's always intentional. But just as often the thinking is "I don't wanna hire a new person to replace this person who left." (And possibly "when person A burns out I can hire someone new at half their salary".)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have a newish supervisor, and she is, for the most part, pretty cool.

Except that she really, really likes meetings.

A lot.

Whereas I, on the other hand, enjoy being left alone to actually get my poo poo done.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the only time I've ever had a paid lunch break in my life was when I temped in a factory just out of college. Everything else, it's been expected that you work 8 hours on the clock and take an unpaid lunch break somewhere in between.

I have also heard of a mythical beast called a "bonus", but have never once laid eyes on it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

The sheet can only be used once and then must be archived and deleted from my computer. No spreadsheet may be reused without complete validation (which involves third party approvals and testing per our SOPs).

I cannot possibly be understanding this correctly. You seriously have to create every Excel document from scratch every time? Wouldn't that make problems more likely, rather than less likely, to happen?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eh. Telling your senior management to gently caress off was never going to end well, and it doesn't really matter if you're right and they're wrong (it should, but it doesn't), because, crucially, nothing is compelling them to listen to you except your ability to convince them to listen to you.

But yeah, some of the team player bullshit is, well, bullshit. Two plus two doesn't magically become five just because a manager has decided that five is a more convenient answer, and it is not and will never be my job to join the Two Plus Two Equals Five Company Cheerleading Squad, it is my job to say, "er, actually it's four". (Just not, you know, YOU IDIOT IT IS FOUR I AM NOT LISTENING TO YOU SHUT UP.)

People skills are definitely important in any walk of life, including employment. Standing up for yourself and arguing for what you believe in a way that will get people to listen is a people skill. Loyalty in the face of all sense and reason is not a people skill, it is a psychosis.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What's a bonus?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

oldskool posted:

Are "temp to hire" positions that turn out "temp to catch up our backlog & then get let go as excuses we can give the temp agency come up" as common as they seem to be?

Yeah, that's pretty much just how temping is, unfortunately. Temping is by far my favorite way of looking for work, but getting attached to any given position, however stable it may seem, is a bad idea until they actually make you an offer. Temp-to-hire is complicated in a number of ways.

Years ago, I was temping at a small law office, filling in for someone out on maternity leave who ultimately decided not to return to work. They loved my work, and the owner of the firm once none-too-subtly asked me if I would always be working for the temp agency once. That's when I figured out what was up, and I was right; they very apologetically told me later that they simply couldn't afford to extend me an offer because it would mean paying off the agency.

In retrospect, I kind of dodged a bullet there because I got the impression that the person I was filling in for didn't so much decide not to return as she asked for accommodations the law firm wasn't willing to give. Also everyone I ever mentioned that firm to later on said, of the owner, "Oh yeah, that guy's an rear end in a top hat". Also also he was reportedly VERY unpleasant about internet use, to the point where when I once offered to look up (work-related) phone numbers online, the lawyer I was working with got really nervous and said I had better not.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

By a similar token, at-will employment (in those places where that's a thing) works both ways. But just flat-out walking out of a job is generally held to be a bad, bad idea.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

Not entirely true. Retainer clauses can bind the employee. You should never, ever accept a job that has one in its contract, but it is quite possible to be hired at-will with a monetary penalty for leaving. That's the entire basis of 401(k) forfeitures, relocation reimbursement penalties, etc. Some really sleazy companies will put forfeiture clauses / clawback clauses into contracts where they gave you nothing at all. These are (usually) binding. Just be careful with those - you technically haven't lost your right to walk off, but they've made it financially impossible.

Oh yeah, no question. I'm just saying that in theory at-will employment means you can walk out any time.

(And, of course, for reasons like those YF19pilot spells out, you almost certainly shouldn't unless it's a "gently caress you, I just won the lottery" situation.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

That last part is highly, highly illegal. If a salaried employee works a single minute during a week, they get paid for the whole week.

It's Sundae's company, so it wouldn't be worth pursuing this, as they would require outside verification of the concept of linear time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Berzerker posted:

What's worse is people who say, "I have a question, when can I drop by your office so that we can discuss?" Uh, never. You can email your question to me and I will respond to it. I don't need you coming in here and rambling for 45 minutes to ask me a 12-word question.

Or even better, "I will stop by to discuss this" without giving any indication of whether it will be in the next five minutes, sometime later today, or ten minutes before the heat death of the universe.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Omne posted:

"In order to manage costs, we will be backfilling positions at lower levels. We are also freezing promotions. We are doing this in order to re-stock our teams with young talent."

I can't think of a way to NOT keep existing young talent worse than this. It screams short-sighted cost savings at the expense of employee recognition and advancement.

They don't want existing young talent, they want new young talent who are desperate for a job, any job, oh god somebody please hire me eager to get in on the ground floor, which is what we are calling the sub-sub-sub basement these days.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Keetron posted:

Making fun of a colleague's religion as well as asking if another colleague is gay are grounds for immediate termination where I am from, especially if someone just arrived at a company.

Yeah. My office is really laid-back in a lot of ways, some better than others, but behavior like that would definitely result in a serious talk from whoever's being HR this week.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

My departments green idea got shoot down for like the 10th time in favor of a stupid idea that may in fact be impossible. Rather then idea of simply printing less (we burn through about 10 skids of paper a month) they want us to source 100% recycled paper at the same price we pay now. This is despite the fact that between 60 to 90% of the paper we create is thrown out because we store everything on computers now.

The first office where I worked, we made, at minimum, two hard copies of every letter that was sent out and every document that was produced. One for the file, and one "reading copy" for the document's creator. That's two copies before copies for other people were considered. We also, of course, kept everything electronically.

This was an office of my state's environmental protection department.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Eventually the company will not want to support the cost of the rear end in a top hat and will fire them.

Or they'll fire the rear end in a top hat who keeps complaining about The Best Temp Ever What Keeps The Others In Line And Tells It Like It Is And Who Takes A Lunch Break On My Watch Anyway?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

How much notice are they looking for, a couple of years. You need to get yourself laid off.

They're holding him hostage with trumped-up relocation charges that he has to pay back if he leaves or something, yeah?

On the other hand, they apparently don't believe in math, so you could probably convince them that asking for a day off after the fact counts as infinite notice due to the cyclic nature of time.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

QR Codes are new and amazing and technological and all you need to do is look at my Linkedin page to see all the people I have friended and know that I am a quality employee who does not at all live on the internet I don't even know why I bothered with this archaic paper resuhwhatever.

Why can't I get a job? :(

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Konstantin posted:

To be fair, a lot of temp agencies have an agreement with the employer that they can't hire the temp without paying a huge fee, I've heard it can get as high as 3 months of wages.

I first became aware of this after temping at a law firm (filling in for someone on maternity leave who eventually elected not to come back). The lawyer I was working for took me aside one day and very apologetically told me that they'd love to hire me but they couldn't because the temp agency was asking for an arm and a leg. (Which made clear why the senior partner in the firm had earlier asked me rather pointedly if I was always going to be working for that agency.) In retrospect I dodged a bullet there; they were perfectly nice to me while I was working there, but I heard stories.

I have gotten a fair few jobs (including the one I'm doing now) via temp-to-hire, but it is by no means a sure thing, and you're always going to be screwed on wages in the meantime.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

OatmealRocks posted:

I understand but when raises are not possible and the company trying to meet goals (cut costs). Something is better than nothing but yes essentially don't work too hard and go with the flow is best to keep your insanity. Personally I like the gesture and recognize there are some people in the company that do these things with limited budget but still trying to please.

Bear in mind that the original anecdote was essentially "Hey we are rolling in revenue this year! Have some snacks!" In that context, what might otherwise be a nice gesture becomes something a little more backhanded.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

I hope you guys realize that happiness hat thing is a joke.

You know that, and I know that, but somewhere a middle manager at a major corporation has just ordered a hundred of them for their department made Happiness Hat ownership, at the employee's expense, a mandatory condition of employment.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

sbaldrick posted:

Well Sundae's horrible heathcare just made me turn down a job in the US, thanks Sundae but I will keep my socialized healthcare.

In fairness, Sundae is working in the third or fourth circle of Hell, and his experience is not typical.

But I probably wouldn't give up socialized medicine for even one of our good insurance plans.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

I normally post tons of really angry/angsty poo poo here, but I want to give my company benefit of the doubt today. They just served us a really kickass catered Thanksgiving lunch. Delicious, local non-Aramark catering, and plenty of food to stuff the entire site.

It was quite nice. :)

Oh hell, you ate food from their realm? Now you're trapped there forever!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get paid six shiny apples annually.

There was some initial confusion when I was first hired and asked where my free iPad was. Also no health insurance, but I have the ability to repel doctors six days a year.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Weatherman posted:

Did you get your job through a mid-00's banner ad?

HIT THE DANCING MONKEY AND GET HIRED! Strangest interview process I have ever been through.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Hi Sundae I heard you were thinking about quitting we dont want that to happen. How does a $10 starbucks gift card sound? Waive your pension benefits and we can make it $20.

byacceptingdecliningandoracknowledgingtheexistenceofthiscardyouagreetoworkforusforeverandshouldyoueverquityouoweustenmilliondollarsandtwoofyourlimbsalsomathisforbiddenallhailthedarklord

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This does, at least, explain why the org chart is confidential. They don't want anyone to know that Sundae's actually the only employee left at the company.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bo...nus?

Is this some kind of newfangled term?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

yoyomama posted:

I think you're right; saying you're sorry for his loss is enough, and I'd not bring it up again. If he wants to speak with you more about it, he'll bring it up himself.

Yeah this, especially if you're not really close outside of work.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I used to do fraud stuff for a financial institution, and I actually would say report it to whatever agency handles that sort of thing, probably the state department of revenue or similar. (I don't really know how it works in Florida.) Not out of spite, that will never get you anywhere satisfying, but because that's a genuinely irresponsible thing for them to have done (especially, not to indulge in stereotypes too much, in Florida, where about 75% of the identity theft incidents I've seen over the years have originated).

I wouldn't push it beyond a phone call to a regulatory agency, though. (And expect a certain amount of eye-rolling when they find out you are a recent former employee of the company you're reporting.) Do that, or don't, but either way just get on with your life. You'll be happier.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This is somehow going to end with Sundae owning the company.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sundae posted:

Annual performance review paraphrased:

"Sundae did a fantastic job and saved the company's bacon in November and December last year. However, all end-of-year calibration meetings were held in October, so these accomplishments cannot be counted for performance. Ranking: Met Expectations."

I'm just shocked, let me tell you.

Edit: I mean, seriously - I already knew they were going to give me a "meets expectations" because everybody gets that. Why even talk about the good things I did or say they weren't counted? Just talk about them (or not) and write the phrase "Met Expectations." Hell, write down a recipe for your grandmother's stroopwafels and add "Met Expectations" at the bottom for all I care. Just don't pretend you were ever going to give me anything other than that in the first place. Oh, if only my company could've hosed itself hard a month earlier, I could've somehow gotten credit for having saved it (yet again). Drat, better luck next year.

Will those months be considered for next year's evaluation or did they just give you implicit permission to set things on fire or whatever the hell you want, as long as it's after October?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ashcans posted:

It says a lot about your work that everyone in the thread just assumed that was something your office would actually ask you to do.

I just assumed that MSPaint was the only analytical program they were still allowed to use.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

On a different subject, one of the flu strains not covered by this year's flu shot is going through our department and people are dropping like flies. It's gotten to the point where as soon as a manager hears someone cough they send them home immediately.

Yeah, it's running rampant through my company too. I'm just getting over it myself after being out most of the week (and it looks like my roommate's about to join the club).

Our CEO went home sick last week. I don't think I'd ever seen that happen before.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The one thing I miss about my first lovely job (working for the state government in Virginia doing the work of about 5 people for the pay of about 0.75 of a person) is that I started out with about 4 weeks of vacation time, plus a week or two of sick time, plus about 2 weeks worth of official holidays (including the hilarious four-day weekend in January because someone finally figured out that Virginia's "Lee-Jackson-King" day was possibly sending the wrong message, so the day honoring Confederate generals got moved to the Friday before Martin Luther King Day).

I'm up to three weeks at my current job, but it's the same bullshit "sick and vacation days come from the same pool" system that most of America has at this point.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also your new compensation package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I always, always have weekend plans. In that I plan not to be at work then.