Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m working on a project as a contractor and I feel like my boss is mansplaining to our client/customer every chance he gets but like I don’t really know how to bring this up or if it’s even worth bothering about. My customer contact isn’t an expert in my field which is fine because that’s why she pays us to do work for her but like whenever she asks us to do something that my boss doesn’t agree with (for whatever reason) he just huffs up a storm and explains to her so condescendingly that I believe mansplain is 100% the correct verb to use here. Internally he’s always referring to her as “that woman” or “this woman” when everybody else gets referred to by their name. I kinda hate it to be honest but it’s my boss and his experience dwarfs mine. Also if I made an anonymous HR complaint it would 100% point back to me because it’s hard to be anonymous on a small team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

CarForumPoster posted:

Ooof that is a tough one. How long have you worked there? How good is your relationship with your boss? Is your boss the type of person who would appreciate this type of feedback if presented in a helpful, nonjudgemental way such as easing them into understanding how their behavior could be perceived by others?

It’s a new job and I kinda wanted to stick around for a year (for my 401k match to vest) and also network with customers to climb up the salary ladder.

dpkg chopra posted:

The client holds the cards in the power dynamic here and she hasn’t complained (maybe she doesn’t notice it, maybe it doesn’t bother her, maybe she doesn’t think it’s worth it).

Immolating yourself in a token display of allyship is probably not worth it.

I say token not because I don’t think your complaint doesn’t have merit, but because it doesn’t seem like it’s going to prevent anything.

If this is a pattern then you should collect evidence, gather your own allies, and bring it up if there’s an appropriate channel (whether formal or not).

I get what you’re saying but on a selfish note it’s hard to network in this situation cause my boss insists on being involved in every meeting and butts in for even the most simplest stuff. I’m just trying to give off a good impression in case I might wanna work there in the future you know?

But yeah I’m just tuning out whenever my boss starts explaining stuff and just otherwise keeping a low profile while simultaneously trying to do what our client is asking for and hoping my name won’t get associated with my mansplaining boss.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 5, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My sister says to shut the gently caress up about it because there’s a 0% chance the client doesn’t know how my boss is talking to her, and a >0% chance that my boss can make the work relationship worse (not just for me but also the client by being even more condescending if he’s a petty incel type). So I guess I’ll stfu about it and keep turning in my tps reports on time.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My company wanted to recognize a team who has been doing good work. They especially wanted to recognize a few people on that team who have been doing 60-80 hour weeks for 3+ months now.

I can’t even

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I finally got equipment (= 1 laptop) to work from home this week! When I got hired I told them honestly I prefer working in office but the flexibility to wfh is clutch. They said that official policy is that it’s up to the team and manager’s discretion (my manager and his team wfh 1/2 roughly from what I’ve seen) and I said I’d definitely want to revisit this discussion after I get up to speed.

Well months go by and when I went to revisit it I just get told to talk to IT, make a request to IT, etc I keep making requests, informally messaging, and putting in tickets for it and get shot down every single time.

“We have no equipment”

“We just hired a ton of people, no equipment”

“There are software and licensing issues, so there’s no equipment”

“I’m working on it, but there’s no equipment right now”

“Boris Galerkin you sure do ask for a lot of stuff, we still don’t have equipment”

This Monday morning I walk into the office wide general manager’s office and complain (well, I framed it as clarifying the policy and then conveyed how I’ve been trying to get this done since before the holidays but keep getting instantly shot down even though company policy defers to my manager, and my manager says “ok”). Later that same afternoon someone from IT is asking me what software I need installed on my new laptop.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 10, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I used to ask someone if they could do something “real quick” for me, as in “hey could you calculate x and y in these spreadsheets real quick when you get a chance thanks”.

To me and my colloquial usage when I described it as something that can be done “real quick” it’s not me saying I need it done really quick it’s me saying the task is super easy and will take no time to do. Idk maybe I’m the weird one with the weird colloquial usage but eventually I got talked to about constantly asking for stuff asap and immediately, because that’s how the person understood “real quick” to mean.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

My actual boss messages me asking for specific status updates (what's the current status on [thing you were working on]) and it works very well because I know exactly what he's expecting/asking for and I can just lay it out for him and call it a day.

The person running my project on a day to day basis asks me for vague updates (how are things currently going, do you have any issues, etc) and I'm always like what do you want me to say? I can talk for an hour or can talk for 5 minutes, which version of updates are you asking for? It's just more annoying to me for some reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Itaipava posted:

It's depressing how things can get normalized in a group to the point that the witness, who from my reading is also a woman, doesn't think that the awful poo poo the guy said wasn't that bad.

It also sounded from the vague wording that said witness was also an intern. The whole point of those things is to get the line item on your resume and generally not rock the boat.

There’s also a power dynamics thing at play where you’re the intern and if everyone else with all this experience thinks old guy is fine then who am I, the lowly intern, to judge and also how will this affect my future employment and recommendations?

E: The video where the person records themselves getting fired… I dunno, this felt like the bargaining stages of being dumped energy to me. “Please don’t break up with me why are you doing this I’ve been good and I’ll do better” you know? At this point the decision was already made and it prolly didn’t come from the people on the other end of the line. What’s the point of any of this?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 13, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Project I’m working on pulled in a principal engineer to help out with a difficult problem we’re experiencing. He’s one of those people who are genuinely Very Smart and Knows Everything about this area of expertise. He’s completely derailed every single meeting we’ve had since he got involved and is a pain to work with because he’s Very Smart and Always Right. If something doesn’t immediately make sense or god forbid someone says “point-oh-two-three” he will force everything to come to a stop until he can work through it on the call. For the “point oh two three” thing he actually derailed a meeting for 30+ minutes because he just needed to clarify if that meant “zero point zero two three”.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

quote:

Four years ago, our old-fashioned multi-station coffee maker broke. I ignored it at first because I don't drink coffee

What the gently caress is wrong with you? You don’t drink coffee so “broken coffee machine” was a problem that you didn’t think was important to fix? I felt bad for you for your HR INTERN CREEPY OLD MAN problems but you’re literally the worse for your attitude about not caring to fix the coffee machine the moment it broke.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I mean I was half joking.

Having coffee stocked and supplied is like the very least a company can do though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

You were 0% joking, just own up to having made a bad post based on failing a reading comprehension check. God knows I've done it enough times.

Hey look, a thing Sundae agrees with you about 100% and is the only person in his brokebrained company trying to accomplish, despite the fact he personally doesn't drink the stuff

I was joking in the overly aggressive tone and admit I should have dialed that back.

I am not joking about asking what’s wrong with that person for writing essentially “gently caress you got mine I don’t even drink coffee so I don’t see what the problem is”.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

My ex-ex-company is putting in a 10% pay cut due to the current market conditions (they did this during covid too), and yet increasing the dividend. I love how that happens.

Market seems to be doing pretty great so it makes perfect sense to decrease your salary in order to increase payouts to the people that matter :)

E: But on a serious note, I’ve never heard of anyone or experienced having my salary just slashed. Bonus percentage reduced yes. Raise percentage reduced sure. But how does a company that hired you at 69,420/year just get to say nah we pay 10% less now?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 4, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So companies can legit just say “we are giving you a 10% salary pay cut effective immediately” and there isn’t anything to prevent that? I get that the USA is a corporate hellworld where you can get fired because your manager thinks you might be gay and fire you as long as they were smart enough to never ever ever make any mention of that ever and just hand wave reasons like market conditions.

But salaries are negotiated and signed for. That means something no?

E: That’s why I brought up bonuses. My bonus pay explicitly gives a breakdown of how I can hit 100% of my bonus pay based on metrics including some that I have no control over. So when they decide to give me 50% of what I should get it’s “allowed” because I didn’t hit this metric, that conveniently nobody else in the company did either.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 4, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I can't ever remembering 'signing' any contract with any job. They send an offer and verbally accept and you're off to the races.

America is a hellscape.

That has never been my experience at any corporate job I’ve worked at. There is always paperwork to sign. What are you talking about?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

Almost all US employment is “at will” meaning you can be terminated at any time for no reason. Very few people have employment contracts in the US, almost all of Thomas’s that do are through unions, and unions have and unionization has been under attack forever.

I understand this.

I want to understand what is the mechanism that your company can use to reduce your base salary pay when your offer letter that you signed states that you will get paid this much.

Take the pay cut or we fire you?

Otherwise why don’t all companies do this? I’ve heard of companies giving signing/starting bonuses. I’ve never heard of companies giving an introductory salary rate that later drops. If there’s truly nothing preventing a company from cutting your salary by 10% why don’t every company just cut by 10% after the first month? If everyone’s doing it then where is everyone going to jump ship to? But nobody is doing this, that I’m aware of.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 4, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

That is exactly what happened to me at the end of 2017 when the company I was with as a contractor decided they didn’t want to pay us as much. I took a 20% paycut along with a bunch of my coworkers as we were demoted from one pay band to the next one down. We were in a union too which is the best part

The company had to rebid on the contract and January 1st was the start of it, so they called us in to the office right after Christmas and offered us our jobs at a reduced rate, or we were told we wouldn’t have a job. Since our career field was tiny and the pay was still pretty good every person ended up taking the offer but within six months we had lost about 10 people as they went to the government side.

Thanks for the info. By contractor you mean 1099? Can they do this for W2 is what I’m wanting to know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sometimes I get bored at work and just poke around the org chart in teams like this. Just click a name and start clicking up and down the chain. I’ve managed to find two people listed as regular engineers who appear to have nobody above or below them and was wondering how that happens.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I read tokenization I thought they were proposing a ChatGPT thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wanna know what’s up with people who take meeting calls in the god drat toilet. Like I’ll walk in to take a piss and someone is in the stall just talking business.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Atopian posted:

Industry here is extremely effective, but not exactly about crossing T's / dotting I's, which is great for stuff like consumer electronics (which don't fundamentally matter) or precursors (which can be tested), but which has the potential to go very wrong for things like pharma.

A couple of stories I heard, it wasn't so much attempts to cheat, as just shortcuts that the producer thought wouldn't matter because they weren't clear on the exact processes / uses it would be put to.

Some years ago a bunch of bloggers started posting about 差不多 (cha bu duo) culture in China. Meaning, it’s good enough and gets the job done. Unless it doesn’t, but like you said, they would have had no idea why you needed it done specifically a certain way, nor would they have cared, because they got the job done.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I got chastised today by it for printing tax forms because I was wasting company resources.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So what does fellow mean for computer touchers? Because for my field fellow/ships are I’m pretty sure like what a tenured professor would be: an expert in their own right and so valuable that the company let them do whatever they want. They’re all typically phds/academics.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Things that I will never understand:

1. People taking meetings in the bathroom

2. Dudes who don’t wear undershirts

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

When I say undershirt I guess I’m talking about a thin v neck, like the cheap ones from H&M or Target or whatever. They go under shirts (which are the ones with buttons) and aren’t visible. I don’t wear them under t-shirts (no buttons). It’s also weird you don’t wear anything under a jumper pullover sweater etc.

I’m also from a hot humid place and not wearing anything under your shirt is just gross.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sundae posted:

OH. You’re talking undershirts under t-shirts? Yeah no, that’s weird. In agreement there; a t-shirt is basically already a fancy undershirt. It’s also easy to quickly change if you were doing manual labor. I thought you were saying you didn’t wear them under buttondowns or sweaters.

So in German, t-shirts and shirts have a specific meaning. Shirts are the button ups 👔 and t-shirts are what everyone in America calls a shirt 👕. I really like this convention and it makes things less weird.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

On my work laptop when I signed in the first time Windows had me make a “PIN” which is just a password. It’s not my SSO password as it only unlocks the Lock Screen but it’s a password in all but name cause it needs letters and poo poo. I’ve had to rotate it and I’m on hunter6 now or whatever. Incrementing the number works.

E: I have a Jeffrey on my project too. How old is everyone’s Jeff? I’m wondering if it’s like a common generational name. The Jeff I work with threw me under the bus because I couldn’t read his mind and anticipate what he wanted vs what he said.

Straight up said something like "Yeah I talked with Boris and told him I wanted x and y, so I’m not sure why he doesn’t have it on time" in a meeting.

My guy you said you wanted z asap. You literally said right here in this teams message if I could focus on z because you needed it asap for this meeting today where you implied that I was slacking off to the rest of the team.

“Oh well z implies x and y.”

??????

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 23, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Atopian posted:

So if I'm following it correctly, a PIN in this context is a string of characters that is checked locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions, while a password is... a string of characters that is checked... non-locally and used to allow/deny access to computer and network functions?

Or, a PIN is explicitly only accepted in combination with multiple factor authentication while a password doesn't necessarily require that?

Or...?

I'm having trouble with the meaningful distinction here.

This isn't some gotcha, I'm actually unfamiliar with the terms and situation.

It’s confusing as gently caress because for 100% of the world pin is a 4 digit number you use alongside your bank card or to unlock your phone or whatever.

But Microsoft has decided to call a password a PIN that is for a specific device:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ef-1324f2114b19

quote:

A PIN is a set of numbers, or a combination of letters and numbers, that you choose yourself. Using a PIN is a quick, secure way to sign in to your Windows device. Your PIN is securely stored on your device.

But like, it’s literally just the password you enter on the lock screen of every windows computer ever. You know, your account password.

EXCEPT it’s not your account password, because for business computers your account password is usually some SSO password that lets you sign into O365.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bee posted:

He's in his late 50's, I think? Definitely got boomer brain, even if he wasn't strictly born in that generational timeframe

Oh, I think the Jeff I work with is in his 20s, maybe 25ish.

Anyway, I declined my first useless meeting with him today. He’s probably going to be super upset but the meeting is a MWF 9am that lasts for an hour. He wants the entire team on the call to give status updates. This should take 10 minutes, but then he uses the time to dig in. So I’m sitting there for an hour listening to people talk about poo poo I don’t know about or care about.

People joke about meetings having pre-meetings and this 9-10 is exactly that: it’s his prep time for another meeting at 11am with a stakeholder. So I sit through a 9-10, and then at 11-12 I sit through the exact same thing again. He gives his updates and then hands off to me to give my updates. So I have to give the exact same update twice.

I was ok with sitting through the 9-10 half paying attention but I’m super duper salty that he called me out for doing exactly what he asked for and not anticipating that his ask implied other things in addition.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 23, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I guess I understand now why I keep walking into the bathroom and hearing people taking meeting calls in between farts and dropping shits.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I sent a PowerPoint out to a customer on Friday and went home for the day. Just logged on to check my messages and I see 2 emails: 1 from the customer saying "great work [Boris] very clear documentation" and 1 from a senior++ lvl engineer at my org roasting me slide by slide on motherfucking formatting, for things like “font size too small” and “boxes not aligned” and vague mentions on how some things weren’t clear.

It’s funny because 5 minutes after the guy sent me the email roasting my PowerPoint, the customer replied all (which included him) praising my work.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 26, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Feedback when it’s appropriate and helpful is fine. A list of 20 bulletpoints where a majority is telling me that size 18 font is the minimum size we should be using is not helpful and I’m just going to ignore all of it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

PowerPoint is a legit graphics editor.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

Have I got the employer for you!

It blows my mind that Amazon allegedly doesn't use PowerPoint at all. Like how deep does it go? Is PowerPoint just banned or what?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CancerCakes posted:

Chat gpt is your friend, just take a job description from a job ad and tell chat gpt to turn it into a set of performance improvement goals, and to provide a structured plan for each goal, with suggestions on qualifications and training that you require.

Edit as required

This sounds great but then I’d have to do the evaluation on my own time cause I don’t or can’t browse job listings and use ChatGPT on my work computer. I’d rather just do it on company time instead of doing it for free.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Good-Natured Filth posted:

"Hey GNF, can I schedule some time with you to discuss XYZ?"
"Sure. My calendar is up-to-date. Feel free to put something on it."
"How does 9AM on Thurs work?"
"My calendar is up-to-date and that slot is free, so it should work fine."
"Okay. So 9AM on Thurs, right?"

Wtf do you not understand about looking at someone's calendar for their availability?

Pls stop this hurts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

At one of my first jobs I remember there was a guy who I thought was getting preferential treatment but later found out through rumors that he was a lifelong friend of someone in upper management. It was a small company so that essentially meant friend of owner's friend.

Anyway it was around that time that it finally clicked in my head what people meant when they would say things like "it's important to make connections".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

priznat posted:

lol, BigHead was the character to strive to be like on that show. Do nothing and constantly fail upwards without even trying. He is my idol.

big head more like bag head

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The 911 thing sounds like the company is recognizing they don't have medical staff and instead want you to call 911 for paramedics to come over to deal with it. Informing the security people is so that they are aware that there's a chance that an ambulance will be showing up and need immediate access to get to where they need to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SerthVarnee posted:

Devil's in the detail though. They want you to contact security and call 911 AFTER the seizure has passed and the person is safe but severely hungover/exhausted/brain fogged.

The actual guideline is to keep the victim clear of any sharp or solid objects, protect their head with anything soft to prevent their skull from smashing itself on stuff, protect the rest of their body as possible, time the length of the seizure, call an ambulance if the seizure lasts longer than 5 minutes, prevent well meaning but clueless people from restraining the victim or forcing objects into their mouths (this was assumed to stop them from biting off their own tongue or choking on their own tongue, but all it did was fracture teeth), get them somewhere to lie down as they recover (preferably a room with dimmed lighting) and get them water (they are going to be thirsty as gently caress) and heating (I always end up feeling like I'm freezing to death as I recover).

That safety training is checking a box to ensure that you A) violate the ADA B) fail to help in any meaningful way C) potentially dump a big fat medical bill on the victim for no loving reason D) ensure that an health incident report needs to be filed that will directly affect the insurance premium of the company (assuming they have an insurance covering accidents during work hours.)

I'm sorry that you have to go through that but hear me out: I am a random person I have no idea how to deal with any of this nor do I want to. I'm just going to call the people who do know how to deal with it.