Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You mentioned Trello, but I'm not sure why you're discounting it for personal use. I've been using it off and on for years and am a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

It might be worth checking out Notion as well then

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Facilities has put a hand sanitizing station in the front of the lobby.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You will need write access to the ad object (his user account)

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

Teams doesn't support this.
Apparently, it has been on their 'to do' list for the last 6 months.

My colleagues have the backdrops of fine art on the wall or rich mahogany shelves filled with many leather-bound books.

I've got a family-sized bag of biscuits in mine.

everything my webcam can see in my home office is carefully staged

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm the 'capable of small-talk at work only' guy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yospos probably

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

priznat posted:

I’ve never worked in a slack shop but I imagine them to be an endless scroll of animated gifs.

this accurately describes all of the teams channels that have executive staff in them at my work

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I dunno, sounds like could be any isp I’ve ever worked with

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tibalt posted:

I just had my work anniversary. Am I supposed to do anything about all the people congratulating me on LinkedIn?

No, they're just reflex-clicking on a notification.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Heat management is a huge issue for data centers and other places that have a lot of computers. At my first job, we had a lab with about 500 PCs in it, and when one of the air conditioners failed one day, the temperature went up about a degree per minute until the backup kicked on.

Used to work at a LCS + repair shop, one year our furnace went out and we didn't notice until mid December.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hi thread.

I’m starting a new job in a week. I currently work for an org with about 5000 employees worldwide and am moving to one with 50000 worldwide. I’m nervous and have no idea what to expect from a company that big.

Any advice for my first day/week?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Dugong posted:

First Zoom call back has someone on mute whilst talking and someone else screaming “IM ON A CALL”.

Also had two different people ask for documents they’ve been sent multiple times over the last six months. Roll on 2021z

twenty twenty won

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Lockback posted:

For what it's worth a good Azure Cloud Admin is worth a lot in the market.

Getting Azure architect stuff on my resume got me a 30% raise from being a regular sysadmin

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Some of it depends on what your on-call responsibilities actually are too. My current team is technically on call but since we’re the infrastructure automation team the only time that happens is if there is an application outage and a platform outage at the same time.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The problem with many work parties is that there are a lot of people who’s only opportunity to drink is at work parties and they have no idea how to control themselves around an open bar.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Fine, “A big” problem

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’ve used Trello as a personal kanban style board for years, but recently switched to notion.so

Monday.com also seems to be well regarded

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Believe it or not, lots of people need that reminder.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tbh, if I were in his situation I’d drive the car home then pay a carrier service to return it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Every car rental I’ve had in the last 10 years has been for unlimited miles

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Oh yeah, for one way, my bad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Work from home has definitely decreased my “work” time but increased my “productive work” time

Bud I also have a dedicated space for work that isn’t used for anything else.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anyone under 35 cant afford to take a vacation anyway

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my experience with government work is that your title corresponds directly to how much you get paid and literally nothing else

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

leverage the new title into a job at another org with appropriate compensation

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'll do a "Hi, when you have time I'd like to talk about $thing"

I also don't get worked up about people just saying hi. I'll say hi back and ask them how they are doing and force them into awkward small talk until I am satisfied that they have learned their lesson

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Car Hater posted:

Lol yeah only people I'm tight with get any sort of inquiry about how they're doing

I don't think you understand the point of forcing them into awkward small talk.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I like it when my immediate team members do it, but if you're outside of my team I'm super not interested

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it's not that weird, it's literally just a way for a group of people to be aware of an event ahead of it happening and coordinate potential conflicts

it's just an alternative to having a team vacation calendar

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sundae posted:

We have a team vacation calendar and people do that poo poo anyway.

...and don't put it on the vacation calendar.

Olifantenpad

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

That got me thinking you could probably get a high enough hit rate just sending invoices to accounts payable willy nilly but then I realized that’s probably a form of fraud as old as paper

Yeah. I remember back in the early 00's the place I worked would get those on their fax machine 2-3 times a week.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

withoutclass posted:

We've moved past LucidCharts and on to Miro now. Both are pretty good though.

I've been using Miro for doing diagrams and it works well enough, but my org pays for the enterprise tier and I don't know if I'd have picked it if they didn't

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mermaid has completely fallen apart on me anytime I try to do a diagram with moderate complexity, but ymmv

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

In practice it hasn’t worked out that way. It helps to be west coast based with most stakeholders to the east. Sometimes I have a late meeting and that sucks, but it’s rare.

This is how I manage it. I'm on the west coast and hq is in cst, so I just work cst hours.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

same for my wife's ozempic

We're paying $30/month for it right now after insurance

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

then print it and fax it to me so I can upload it into our cms

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Atopian posted:

No-one can give you any minutes of your life back.

https://keysleft.com/

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I wfh and make locally roasted coffee with a pour over like god intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Magnetic North posted:

I prefer "Code Monkey."

sourcerer