Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

CubanRefugee posted:

So I've tried asking in the StellaSpeed tuning forums, but apparently they don't like to answer "easy" questions, and only answer things that require huge technical responses. :(

There's a guy in town selling a Polini 177cc Cylinder kit and Spaco 26/26 carb for about $170 total, new in box, for a Stella. Does anyone here have any experience replacing your cylinder/carb, and how difficult is it? (I think) I'm fairly competent when it comes to this kind of crap, but I've never done that kind of an upgrade before. If it's something that there's tons of room for error and fouling all kinds of poo poo up, then I'd rather just pay my local shop for the labor.

You can actually change your piston/cylinder without removing the engine but it's a little tricky because you have to take out the studs for clearance - I replaced my holed piston on my P200E this way. The carb is pretty simple, just remember where all the parts go and don't forget to reattach all the bits and hoses before running. You'll probably want a new exhaust too if you don't already have one.

My recommendation would be to make it a nice winter project (assuming you live in a place with winter) if you want to take it all apart just in case you realize that you bit off more than you can chew. Why not find some local vintage scooterists to help you out? They probably have all the funky special tools you may need as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Quantumfate posted:

I need to get this thing fixed, and relatively quickly, I rely on it for transportation so getting it up and running fast is a priority. And no, I don't have the money to take it to a mechanic.

Mind telling us what it is?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

open24hours posted:

There are probably others I'm forgetting.

The Rumi Formichino of course.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I'm not sure if these qualify at scooters per se but yesterday my girlfriend and I took out the old Honda CT90s for some terrifying trail (read: rock pile) riding out at Wrentham State Forest ( http://mappery.com/Wrentham-State-Forest-trail-map ). It was quite a workout and I have no injuries to report except a few bruises and a bent front rack. drat these things are awesome fun!

(pay no attention to that DRZ behind the curtain)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mrwrong posted:

Thoughts?

Fuel tap?

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Oh wait, I missed the no compression part. That's more serious if you're sure about that - definitely a warranty item if you got it new (I'm assuming you got it from scooters-go-green).

I also forgot that those Stellas have an electric start too, so when you hit the starter button there's no turning at all? Howabout the kill switch, maybe there's a short somewhere or a new CDI box is needed. Maybe a battery cable came loose.

It's all about whether you still have power at all on one hand and the compression is another story. If it just died suddenly I'm gonna guess it's an electrical thing and the compression is a red herring.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

SpannerX posted:

Well, my P200E is going in today, it'll start, but as soon as I put it in gear it stalls, when I release the clutch. Beyond my capabilities at the moment. It needs to have the safety done anyway, I just hope this isn't going to be too expensive.

Probably just a clutch cable adjustment (see step 7: http://www.vespamaintenance.com/body/clcable/index.html) which a good shop shouldn't charge for if they want your return business.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mrwrong posted:

Does anyone know if Genuine makes a case that color matches the Avocado Stellas? I haven't been able to see any online when I've looked and I'd rather not order one of the green Buddy cases to find out it doesn't match.

I know Coocase was making color-matched lids for their cases for the Buddies but I don't know about Avocado. Twisted Throttle in RI sells them and they have a nice showroom with helpful salespeople if you come down (or call, I think one of them even has a Stella). Give them a call at least.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/371/1/30/

I take it your bike is all good again.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Look at this neat thing someone posted on ADV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKps5ORD228

Anyone know what that CVT scooter they showed is?

I bet you're talking about the Triumph Tina

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

Been doing some work on my dads scooter today so I thought I would show you a couple of pics:

Sweet S2, I have a '58 Series 1 that's probably my favorite bike to ride. I have to do some ignition work on it though, I think the condenser's gone wonky and it's a pain in the rear end to solder around in that stator.

(in commute mode complete with thermos)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Charlie Bubblegum posted:

Cheesebot why not upgrade to a 12v electronic ignition? Pretty much no electrical problems at all, and better lights all round, and cheap enough if you know where to look. By the way that's a beautiful series 1, what are the engine specs? All standard? I'm running a series 3 at the minute, a 1966 150 with a stage 4 175 fitted, and a 42mm reverse cone clubman which is essentially a clubman exhaust with the tailpipe from a Volkswagen Beetle on it :D

Yeah my S1 is a bone stock Li150 Framebreather except I switched out the front hub for an S3 hub because I don't want to die.

I'm definitely into the Indian 12v electronic ignition and I've been researching it. I just have so many bikes to work on in a finite period of free time and as much as I love the Lammy it's not the most practical of the lot. Any advice for the best kit is welcome.

quote:

EDIT: heres an old pic of my series 3 with a sterling exhaust fitted and no right hand runner board:

Sweet, I love the Trojan Records scheme.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

The 2t oil doesn't need to be "changed," simply "added to." The tank will hold about a quart of 2-stroke oil, so when you start to see bubbles hit up the shop, buy a bottle, and dump it in. Generally you'll get about 500mi to a 2t tank, but your dealer may not have filled it up when you bought it, and your mileage may vary (like gas).

Yeah, did they not explain at the shop (I think you said it was Scooters Go Green) how a 2 stroke engine works at all? That oil gets burned up along with the gas and is very, very important. I top off my P's oil every hundred miles or so just in case I get caught somewhere with no 2-stroke available.

I suppose your oil injector may have stopped working or gotten clogged which would be the same as running without oil. Clangy clang sounds could be rod knock or a slew of other things.

Also, check if your side panels are on correctly and tight - the rear signal grounds to the frame at the spring connection (at least it does on the P, not sure if the Stella is the same.)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

MJP posted:

Peace Scooters: Chinese crap with a shiny Engrish-free (so far) website or a good buy for the money?

Leaning towards the former, googling yields very little since "peace adventure" and "peace freedom" gives you so much unrelated junk.

Wow, you can get crap delivered right to your door - run away.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

NotJoe posted:

I plan on carrying some fix-a-flat, a small tool kit, a ~20oz bottle of spare gas and some extra 2t oil. Is there anything else I absolutely need to carry?

A spare clutch cable (and maybe gear cables) and some new spark plugs are always handy to have.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Does the email go like this? :

"Hello,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back in touch with you.
First of all let me say that the Vespa GTS 250 is in excellent condition, run perfect. I don't want to get rich by it's selling, just want to give it to someone who will take good care of it. I'm an US Navy Seaman currently stationed in Portsmouth, NH and the scooter is here with me, I can have it shipped from here so there won't be any shipping costs for you. Also I can arrange for a truck to transport it to your home address or you can pick it up from the nearest airport in your area. The shipping takes around 48 hours and is free, depending on your location. If you are interested in purchasing the scooter contact me back so I can provide you with more information. The scooter has 101 miles, year 2009, automatic transmission, 250 cc engine.

Thanks and God bless.

PS. Sorry for the long email I've tried to touch all bases."

Don't do it. I figured this was a scam but I needed to make sure because it was only $1500 for a 250GTS - you never know...

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Purgey posted:

Its worth mentioning that 80s Honda Elites are deliciously retro and you should buy one even if you don't ride it. You'll always find a buyer for one if you ever want to sell it, too.
I'll sell this one cheap to anyone in the Northeast (RI specifically). I just replaced the bystarter (common problem) and all it needs now is for me to charge up or install a new battery. I was gonna wait till gas prices hit $5 to unload it but if a goon wants it pm me.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mootmoot posted:

Awesome. You should buy one of those skirt things you can clip onto the bike so that your waist stays warm when you ride.

My girlfriend loves it! She rides every day all year round.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

max4me posted:

Neat Idea but living in california cold weather isnt really an issue for me.

Then I guess the point is moot.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

max4me posted:

Hey cheese bot where your girl get pink jacket I think mine might like one like that.

Well, I don't know how much riding your girl does but this is not really a casual jacket and it's kinda pricey. It's the Rukka Julia in Fuchsia we bought it from biker-land.de but their site doesn't have it listed currently - we asked and they got us one from the factory (the prototype actually because they were completely out of stock).

This store (fc-moto) has it listed so you can get an idea but DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. They are idiots who do not understand international ordering and customs forms: http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...TEX-Jacket-0001. Like I said, it's pricey.

If you want something a bit more reasonable did you look at Corazzo? We also have a pink 5.0 jacket that I think she's ready to sell and maybe we could give you a good deal: http://www.corazzo.net/womens-5.0-jacket

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Joining the scooter riding grey cat closeup crew.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

JasonRiverwind posted:

The girlfriend and I are discussing getting scooters, and were wondering if you future fellow riders have any input on Motofino scooters. It is a Chinese made scooter, but I can't seem to find any bad reviews on them online.

Google "Motofino Chinese crap" and you'll find tons of bad reviews: http://www.vtscoot.com/infobase/ib-08.html

If you're looking for low price you're much better off getting a used Japanese (Honda, Yamaha) or Taiwanese (SYM, Kymco, Genuine) scooter.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
How about a blanket statement that people who have already made their decision to buy a crappy Chinese scooter don't want to read any contrary information and ignore all subsequent advice.

(P.S. Chinese scoots are all the same with different names on them)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
I put the Michelin S1s on my P200E and they've been incredible - great in the wet and everything else. Check them out.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
We bought this yesterday:

1986 Elite 250, 7800 miles, one owner, well maintained and everything works (we aren't taking the saddlebags).

I'm pretty pleased for $700 but I think we're gonna fight over who gets to ride it from time to time. It'll make a great winter commuter/beater for us up here in New England.

I think we're up to like nine Hondas but I really need to unload the Elite 80 now.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Rad. $700 is awesome for that - are all the body panels intact? I hear some of them are drat near impossible to find these days.

How old are those tires :ohdear:

Actually, it was $650 without the bags - I forgot. Everything is intact. There's a little bit of surface rust on one side of the floor and the wheels, and the muffler is rusty. The tires are at least ten years old and may even be original. I need to check what OEM tires would've been to confirm this. Regardless, they will be replaced soon even though they look in good shape with no cracking even.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Astonishing Wang posted:

I bought a 2001 Honda Elite 80 a few days back. The guy I bought it from said that it wouldn't start because of a lack of compression. I got the battery charged up last night and put it in. Turn signals work, tail light works, horn works, but no headlight. When I try to start the engine it turns real easy but won't catch.

With the paperwork he gave me is a page from the mechanic diagnosing it as low compression, says it probably needs piston rings. I plan on taking it all apart and performing all of the maintenance steps in the service manual - but will I know by looking at the piston rings if they need to be replaced?

Did you try spraying a little ether in the carb before starting. If it starts up then you may just need the bystarter (automatic choke thingy). It's a common part that goes bad on these and is readily available. I would do a compression test myself before committing to a ring job - how much compression was on the mechanic's report? It may just need a valve adjustment.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Gann Jerrod posted:

Speaking of cheap scooters, I was wondering why this Elite E that I'd been monitoring hasn't been sold yet. Over the last week, the price has dropped by $250, and there's still no buyers. The only thing I can say is that it has nearly 20,000 miles on it, which is less than ideal, but it still seems odd. Is there any other reason why this scooter isn't selling?

Because it's just a 50cc and relatively old and beaten. Btw it's only 1900 miles, it isn't any kind of steal - at least in these parts - but better than any Chinascoot.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Well he made it and according to him, it took fewer than 6 gallons of gasoline to make a 520 mile round trip. The 49cc GY6 engines must be getting better in quality because a lot of those suckers have something important break within the first 1000 miles of use.

I'm just amazed he's able to keep the front end down (or is he?...)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Ribsauce posted:

Also, are the mirrors interchangeable between models? I need a left mirror but I don't really like the ones I have so I would like some good replacements...any recommendations?

My gf uses Yamaha C3 mirrors on her 150 St. Tropez, and finds them much nicer.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Goredema posted:

Although there are a few exceptions, in general there are really only three types of mirror posts: 8mm, 10 mm, and whatever the gently caress Harley Davidson uses. Know this makes obtaining replacement mirrors off eBay very cheap and easy.

Except the right side mirror on the Buddy has reverse threads (which not every bike does) - so does the Yamaha.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

FAKEEDIT: Dang, there are a ton of scooter clubs in Colombia. Here's one for Lambrettas, which sure ain't cheap down here:

Uhhh, there's a whole lot of Vespas in that "Lambretta" club.

Just sayin'...

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

SpannerX posted:

Hell, 3 of those are Bajaj Chetak scooters. Slow as dirt 4 strokes.

Sorry, I should have specified Vespas or Vespa clones. Who knows, there may be some Stellas in there too (no idea if Colombia got them).

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

The Orange Mage posted:

And god help you if you want your pop-up headlight to function as intended, if yours is from those model years.

I don't think the 250 ever had a pop up headlamp.

It's a great bike but that's a bit pricy. We got ours for $600 from the original owner in great shape with topcase and windshield - if you're patient a deal will come up eventually.

This site has a lot of useful info including what unique parts you should stock up on http://www.ch250.net

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 15, 2014

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Sorry, 36mph is pretty drat fast for a Met, it's only a 49cc 4-stroke after all.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mintskoal posted:

Half helmet design is preferred, but I don't really care as long as it keeps my brain in one piece.

So you don't care about your jaw/chin then, ok, half helmet will work then.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hell yes that picture owns. I would pay real earth dollars for a poster version to hang in my garage

I got these '80s Honda signs a few weeks ago off Craigslist for my garage - basically describes what's in there.

They're about six feet wide each.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

fema crisis actor posted:

Those are rad. Are they translucent, like, can they be illuminated?

Yeah, I can stick a four foot fluorescent unit behind them to blacklight them.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Pals, this looks like a good deal. Obviously, I would want to see what service if any has been done on this thing but what should I be looking out for on it? https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/d/2008-genuine-scooter-buddy-125/6582698002.html

It probably hasn't had much service at all at 1176 miles but these are great, reliable scooters if you aren't sure. I'd be more concerned about how it was broken in originally. My wife's has over 16k miles on hers (and would be well over 20k if it were still being used) and I've only had to do minor work on it (the worst was only replacing oil cooler lines). That seems like a great price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

What would I need to do about a poor breaking in period? Is this a carb thing? Changing the fluids doesn't seem especially difficult so I was going to do that regardless.

I don't think there's anything you could do about it, I would just ask if he followed the recommended procedure and maybe use it as a bargaining point if not. It's a piston ring thing - and I'd only worry about the carb if it was left with old gas in it often; which is possible being that it was ridden only an average of 110 miles a year for the last ten years. Still not a big deal because you can easily take out the carb and clean it up - these are easy to work on.

cheesebot fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 8, 2018