Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

CubanRefugee posted:

I'd be absolutely down for a ride! I'm making my first 'real' trip tomorrow coming from up on the hill in Lake Oswego to eastside off of 48th and Halsey. The lovely part is that I'm doing it at about 7:30am to be there at 8:30am for work.

I'm in Portland too and will be moving back into the city again shortly (I am out hwy 30 right now) and would be down to ride. I went on a ride with the "ruckstars" last week that was pretty fun. Coming from my vino 125 GOD drat is the Honda Ruckus a slow bike.

They were a fun group to ride with, it's almost making me consider getting one of these slow rear end Rucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I can't help you with an answer, but you should ask this question in the motorcycle questions thread too as there are very smart people in there that know about carbs. I have a Vino 125 as well, every month through the winter I went out and started it up and let it idle for 15 or so minutes so this wouldn't happen.

I just got put new handlebars, japanese blinkers and taillight, and have a new NCY exhaust that I hope to install this weekend. I can't wait for it to get warm enough so I can start riding to work again.

also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhFFhEuNQ_4

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 17, 2011

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Everyone post pics of their scooters:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

slowspeedracer posted:

I am the proud owner of a 165 lb paper weight.

Dude, that's an awesome bike. Congrats on finding it in that condition and for free. I've seen tons of Hondas from that era, but never a Suzuki.

HELL YEA BLUE VINO 125 KREW 4 LYFE :hfive:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I put a fart pipe on my scooter:

BURNIN' UP THE NEIGHBORHOOD :smug:

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 6, 2011

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Pfft, scooter wheelies are always SMART :v:

I wish I could do them, I suck at wheelies so hard. :(

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Small world. I live in PDX and have rode with the guys that own the Honda Ruckus's in that group. How was the ride in general?

I used to be into the idea of going on group scooter rides, but just like going on group rides with sportbikes, you have to deal with people riding crazy. The problem with the scooter guys is half of the time they have no motorcycle experience either, making it even more dangerous.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I'm interested. What's the page?

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 13, 2011

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
While we are on the subject of jetting: I have a 2007 Vino 125 that I put an NCY exhaust on. Reading old posts from other forums leads me to believe that the Vino runs pretty rich stock as a regular mod people used to do was drill out the end of the exhaust for sound and what most people said was a little bit of top-end acceleration gain (probably placebo) without ever upjetting the bike.

I've done about 500 miles on the bike since I installed the exhaust, still running a stock main jet and stock intake/air box. The bike is faster, no doubt about it. I can do just over 60 mph on flat pavement, tucked down, where as before I was lucky to get over 55. There is no popping on deceleration, and the bike seemingly runs perfect. Do I need to upjet?

I bought a new airbox cover (and drilled a bunch of holes in it) and foam filter and have jets, I just haven't gotten around to jetting it as I know not to install the air box cover and filter as it will definitely be running lean if I don't upjet. I'm almost considering not even installing the air filter and airbox cover as I am getting good power out of this thing already. What do you guys think?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

open24hours posted:

Finally running again.

HOT. AS. gently caress.

that pipe.... :allears:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

:woop: Vino Army!!!! :woop:

I'm getting another one for my girlfriend sometime this spring so we can go riding all summer. :woop:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I'm getting another one for my girlfriend sometime this spring so we can go riding all summer. :woop:

Well, that didn't exactly happen. There hasn't been much in the way of good Vino 125's for sale on CL this winter, and the ones that do pop up, no one would respond to emails. While looking digging through CL I found a guy trying to sell a 2008 Genuine Buddy 50 with 8k miles for $650. It had been down once but had only cosmetic damage and still has a clean title.

Turns out the bike was in pretty drat good shape for the $600 we paid for it. It needs a tune-up but I was still able to hit nearly 45 mph on flat ground on the way home. Not bad for a 50cc, which also means my girlfriend doesnt need to get her endorsement yet. Win-Win.

Also, because it's a 2-stroke I get to put a big whale-dick exhaust on it!

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Got my girlfriend's Buddy 50 2-t back from the dealership after getting it's fancy exhaust put on it. It's surprisingly quick, I can almost get 50 mph out of it on flat pavement. It has a big flat spot in the power band though, I think it's jetted just a little to fat.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I got the pipe from scooterworks.com, and they sent me an email asking to let me know how the pipe worked out. I'll have to send them an email and let them know my findings once I ride it a bit more. The flat spot I am talking about is weird, it pulls strong up to about 30 mph, then drags super slow to about 38-40. After 40 mph it feels like the vtec kicks in and it pulls hard up to 45 and then drags up to 50ish. It's surprisingly powerful above 40.

I'll look into changing the transmission next. I imagine she will just ride it like this over the summer (she weighs ~100 lbs) and I'll start playing with it next winter.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Also, just sent an email to the guy about this scooter: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/2820096466.html

I want a 2-t myself now. They are SO. FUN.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I was thinking about painting my Vino 125 black because I got white-wall tires for it and it looks a little funny with the blue paint. I remember seeing a Vino 125 in black once or twice so I went to the dealer and inquired about all of the plastics needed to convert the entire bike to factory black. I ended up buying everything needed for a total cost of $340. (My ex-wife downed this scooter twice so the factory blue plastics have seen better days.)

I just got the plastics in and they are tits, a nice deep black with some very light sparkle/metallic flake in them. Hopefully I'll find time to put them on this weekend, if I do I'll post some pictures.

I was posting this really to comment how surprisingly cheap it was to purchase the entire factory plastics kit to change the color of the bike, I was surprised.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Installed my new plastics today and the bike looks about 10000000% better.

The factory plastics came with no badges as well, the bike looks a lot cleaner without them IMO. Now if the weather would just get a bit warmer....

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

M4rg4r1ne posted:

What brand of tires are those?

http://www.scooterworks.com/Tire-Whitewall-Prima-350-x-10-TL-WW-P10222C566.aspx

These are the exact tires I purchased. The paint is REALLY white compared to some other's I've seen.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I feel like I had to change the color of the bike to black (or red) once I got the white walls because with the blue it looked weird. I didn't take any pictures of it, but it just didn't look right, too busy looking perhaps.

And just because we aren't blue Vino bros doesn't make us any less bros. VINO ARMY BITCHES :v:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Best case it stays awesome, worst case it needs a new top-end and you throw a kit.

Oh I thought you were talking about throwing a kit.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Unzip and Attack posted:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcd/2902251673.html

So what is your opinion overall on this model? The OP says that Yamaha's are pretty solid so I feel confident about it, but is the price good and are there any questions I should ask the dealer? Thanks in advance for your help.

I own one of these currently. So far it's been a good bike. It gets between 60-70 mpg depending on how much city riding you do. The suspension and brakes are good for a single rider but two-up it's brutal. Easy maintenance. I don't know how tall your wife is but my 5'4" girlfriend doesn't like riding the Vino, saying it's "to big and heavy". Have your wife sit on it and test ride if possible before you buy of course.

Having spent a good amount of time watching CL for one of these before my girlfriend said she wanted something else, the price isn't bad for the mileage and the fact it hasn't been down. Like Gay Nudist Dad said, it's not really a 'deal', but not a bad price either.

Bone stock I was getting about 53 mph out of my Vino 125. I put an exhaust on it (didn't re-jet) and I get about 60-62 mph out of it now. (170 lb rider)

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Nayato posted:

I'm giving serious thought to repainting this bike from black to something more eye-catching, for visibility's sake. That doesn't seem like it would be too great of an undertaking. Plus the paint is a little faded anyway.

Just get a bright helmet. I'm rolling a black scooter with a bright yellow helmet. People say it doesn't match, I don't care. Hopefully someone sees me and I don't get run over.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
My friend got a honda spree for free from a friend of his and proceeded to see how low he could make it:

It's pretty much unrideable from what he says, but it sure looks awesome.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

I wonder when the new 125cc and/or 150cc Ruckus will hit US shores? I'll be one of the first to buy one.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I agree, that's a deal. poo poo, even if something is really wrong with it, a new engine isn't that expensive or you could just part it out. If it was near Portland, OR, I'd ask if I could buy it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

But automatic transmissions are not what attract me to scooters - in fact mine is a manual. I like them because they are small and super nimble.

You sound like a prime candidate to buy a small displacement supermoto. As someone who loves scooters and motorcycles, trust me, you'd love one.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

Do y'all kick start on the center stand or on the ground? I'm afraid I might damage the center stand, but doing it on the ground feels like all my force is being damped by the shock absorber.

I thought it was common practice to kick start on the center stand? I do it on both of my scooters, no issues so far with the center stands on either my Vino 125 of Buddy 50.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

cheese eats mouse posted:

If you still want the classic look and crazy color options have you looked into Genuine?

Genuine Buddy's are pretty good bikes. My girlfriend started on a Buddy 50 that we bought for $600 and she just bought a used Buddy Blackjack 150 for $1800 with only 1900 miles on it in perfect condition.

As nice as Vespa's are, I would never own one as they are just too drat expensive for what you get. I ride a Vino 125. I bought EVERY plastic on the bike in factory black to change the color of the scooter and it only cost me $300, and that is buying parts directly from the stealership.

Here is a pic of the Blackjack. It looks pretty snazzy with the flat black paint and red wheels.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 15, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

:) :hf: I'm getting mine this Friday.

Awesome. You got a great color too. Mine was blue before, after I put the white-wall tires on, it never looked right. I bought all of the black plastics from the dealer and turned it factory black. I also bought the JDM(YO) factory brake light and turn signals. It turned out pretty classy.

The Vino 125 is a great bike. I bought it new and over 6000 miles later the bike hasn't had a single problem.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

What exhaust is that? I really like it. Sexy looking scooter. Right now I'm scared to put too much money in mine just for it to get lifted. *sigh* My insurance does cover up to 2K of extras on the bike.

It's an NCY exhaust that I bought from scooterworks. For some reason they don't sell it on their site anymore. It sounds nice and thumpy given that the engine operates in a fairly RPM range. It made the bike a bit faster as well, I went from being able to do 55 mph stock to 62-3ish mph (indicated) after the exhaust. As long as it's flat the bike easily maintains that speed if I tuck down. I take short trips on the highway from time to time on it without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
It's super easy to bounce up mini-wheelies on the vino BTW :v: