Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Koala Food posted:

Thanks for directing me towards the link. I talked to the guy today and am going to see it tomorrow. Is $1100 a good price or should I try to haggle any? According to Kelly Blue book it's $1500, so I'm kind of okay with the price.
Any tips for what I should look for before I buy it? He said that he hasn't brought it to a mechanic because he does his own upkeep, which would normally set off an alarm. However, he doesn't sound like a crazy person on Craigslist so I'm more inclined to trust him.
As an aside, is riding it back on side roads for an hour for my first time riding a scooter myself asking for me to die? I don't think so, but nobody else has confidence in me. I'll have a helmet, of course.
Hopefully, I will have a good trip report tomorrow!

As long as you know the rules of riding you'll be fine. Always assume none of the cars around you can see you, even if you see an idiot driver looking right at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

cheese eats mouse posted:

Also tortured myself looking at the new Vespas. Still can't justify that price tag.
Have you ridden a GTS? They're like the Bentley of scooters. So plush.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Last May I crashed while test-riding a Vino 125 my fiancee was planning to buy. A broken collarbone; ambulance/ER and 6 weeks of PT; and a few harassing phone calls from the dealer's insurance company later, and my fiancee can't be convinced to buy a scooter this year. Even if it is only $900.

So I'll post this here: http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/3734492275.html
Kymco People S200 (aircooled 163cc 4stroke) 2700 miles and the seller is only asking $900. I'd be happy to go take a look at it for an interested goon. It's about 1/2 hour from me, so a few bucks to cover gas and time would be appreciated, but not absolutely necessary.

Also the crash was a fluke, I swear. After hearing my crash story, people love hearing that I've had my M license for 8 years. And that I pissed myself while I was unconscious.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 4, 2013

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Still having electrical issues on my Vento. My stator's putting out a healthy 25-30 volts AC at idle, but I'm only getting ~8 volts DC to the battery. I've been running a capacitor instead of a battery ever since I removed the electric start and alarm (and had two batteries die almost immediately after installation). The wires leading to the rectifier/regulator show a similar amount of voltage. The original unit only registered on the multimeter in diode mode when the probes were in one particular position. It's supposed to be registering in two positions. I just received a replacement unit from another 2-stroke Vento. No register in diode mode in any position and I'm still getting 8 volts DC at the battery. And the weather turned awful so it's hard to test outside at the moment.

These are very sensitive to bad grounds, especially if you removed the electric starter because that's where the main ground is. I've found a good fix is to wire the negative wire that is supposed to be connected to the negative battery post to the engine block. If the ignition is still weak, it might be damaged because these things are very fragile (especially post 2004 ones with the square ignition plug and CDI unit).
Check for the plug coming for the stator and plugging into the harness to know which version have, flat rectangular plug is the old version with coil and square plug is the new version with CDI and no coil. If you need replacement parts I have a bunch for both versions but keep in mind these ignitions are cheaply made and very sensitive, I've had a stator assembly and many coils go dead on me after a removal for no reasons . I might have a whole ignition (newer model) I can send your way (stator + rotor + CDI) for cheap if you can't fix it.
Also 8V while idling seems normal to me, you should only test these while applying some throttle.

By the way I'm selling this 600$

It's light and powerful, faster than any 125cc (also way noisier because it sounds like a dirt bike) and it's sold complete ready to race.
Let me know if interested

Sh4 fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 4, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That looks like fun. Alas, the cost of shipping it across the Atlantic means it would make more economic sense to build something like that from the ground-up stateside.

I've traced all the grounds on the Vento and made sure the capacitor gets fully discharged by running a DC light directly from the positive terminal. Today I found a brand new regulator/rectifier from Racing Planet USA for less than $20 and could not be more stoked.

The plan is to swap the Vento engine, wheels, forks and wire harness into a Honda Ruckus once the electrical issues are sorted out. My roommate just bought a brand new Ruckus after his old one accumulated 10,000 miles, got stolen and then was recovered with a hacked-up gas tank and wiring. It's currently languishing in the garage. This is a rather small town and I do believe I will have the first Minarelli (clone)-powered Ruckus in the area if and when it's completed.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hello, scoot goons. I guess I'm a part of the club now, since I just picked up an 06 Ruckus. It's a big change, after riding sport bikes for 6+ years. I picked it up because A. I've wanted one for years and B. gas is expensive. I rode it for an hour or two and I'm pretty sure I need to pull carb and clean it. A couple friends have them too (scooter gang, gently caress yeah), so I'm going to hop on one of theirs and see how it compares. I might just need to adjust to not having the power I'm used to.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

What is it doing that makes you think the carburetor needs cleaning?

Also, looks like my repaint job on the Chinese Vino clone leg shield wasn't up to snuff. I just pressure washed it and almost all of the paint flew off in huge chunks. The original primer had turned to powder and allowed the top coat to loosen. I thought I had sanded off all of that crap primer before respraying it. I guess I didn't, as the plastic and primer are the same color and made it difficult to tell. It's not gasoline-proof, but Krylon Fusion is pretty good at staying attached to the bare plastic I managed to expose in spots the last time.

Rugoberta Munchu fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 5, 2013

comets!
Nov 25, 2004

BRICK DAVIS
Hey scooter thread, looking for some advice. I've been going through this thread and the photos of crashed helmets about 20 pages back made me want to get a full face.

I got a bad rear end deal on my scooter (2009 KYMCO Sento 50 with only 200 miles on it for $900) with a cover and this HJC helmet thrown in for good measure. I was overjoyed because the lady I bought it from happened to have the same sized head as me (hah) and it's a nice helmet. It's still not as good as a full face though, right? It covers a bit more than the typical open face but I don't know.

I'm wondering, is there any market for used helmets? I know for sure she never crashed in it, it's brand spanking new. I know I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth here since I got it for free, but I wouldn't like it to go to waste. And if I'm buying a new full face it would be nice to get some money for it. I was thinking maybe post it on Craigslist and see what happens?

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

That looks like fun. Alas, the cost of shipping it across the Atlantic means it would make more economic sense to build something like that from the ground-up stateside.

I've traced all the grounds on the Vento and made sure the capacitor gets fully discharged by running a DC light directly from the positive terminal. Today I found a brand new regulator/rectifier from Racing Planet USA for less than $20 and could not be more stoked.

The plan is to swap the Vento engine, wheels, forks and wire harness into a Honda Ruckus once the electrical issues are sorted out. My roommate just bought a brand new Ruckus after his old one accumulated 10,000 miles, got stolen and then was recovered with a hacked-up gas tank and wiring. It's currently languishing in the garage. This is a rather small town and I do believe I will have the first Minarelli (clone)-powered Ruckus in the area if and when it's completed.

Problem is regulators almost never go bad on these things, I think your stator is a bit tired because these ignitions are cheaply made but you shouldnt expect 12v at idle speed on the charging line because it will never happen even with a brand new ignition, full power is coming at about 3k rpms

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

comets! posted:

Helmet talk.

I think its worth putting on craiglist. People buy all kinds of things they shouldn't. It is NEVER a good idea to take a used helmet, but people buy them all the time. Would list it, and buy a new full face for yourself.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
These are both eBay auctions so they could go either way, but how much would you pay for a 2001 Vespa ET4 with 1600 miles versus a 2005 Vino with 2800? The Vespa is at $1225 and the Vino is at $1075. Both are a 3 hour drive so gas is even. No bids on the Vespa.

Should I just go all flashy and get a pearl white Vespa?

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 6, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Vino 50 or 125?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Vino 50 or 125?

125. Seller wants 1250.

I want to go with the Vino for ease of repair, but it's a Vespa! I think the Vino gets better mpg too.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 6, 2013

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I would have a really hard time buying a used scooter online. Are there like great buyer protections in place or something?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

that one guy posted:

I would have a really hard time buying a used scooter online. Are there like great buyer protections in place or something?

I don't see how it's any different from browsing craigslist? Dealers add a huge mark up. My old job had a Vino 125 and marked it up to $2200 after someone wrecked it.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
On CL I can go and actually look at the scooter, ride it, etc. before I buy it. Don't you commit to buying it on ebay before you even see it?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

that one guy posted:

On CL I can go and actually look at the scooter, ride it, etc. before I buy it. Don't you commit to buying it on ebay before you even see it?

Yea, but the guy selling the Vino has a history of selling scooters and vehicles and it's all good feedback. It's coming with helmet, cover, and trickle charger and new battery from last year. It's a very clean bike and obviously has been cared for. You pay cash/money order on the spot and there's a refundable deposit. The only thing I waste is gas and time if I choose not to buy it.

It's a judgement call, but I don't seem to be out too much.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 6, 2013

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

What is it doing that makes you think the carburetor needs cleaning?

Things like the fact that I have to basically go WOT to take off from a stop and my top speed is a solid 5mph lower than what I've found online (and I'm a little guy). I'm going to check for air leaks too.

Korovyev
Feb 14, 2005

Nothing like a good cup of graphite in the morning
I ran into a strange situation today. I've been on the lookout for an orange/yellow Vespa and a 2009 S150 caught my eye at a local dealer. I'm assuming its one of the "New" Vespas that were a surplus and has been sitting in storage since then. I arranged a meeting today to chat about the price- they were asking MSRP and I had my arsenal of printed out comparisons to talk them down.

I get to the lot early, and see the little orange S150 outside in a corner of the parking lot. Things look fine on the right side, until I see this.

Along with a few others: http://imgur.com/a/uI0qu

Now- moving along to our actual meeting to discuss price. They were still quoting it at MSRP of $4200. At this point, I was really unsure if I should pursue this further, however I got them down to $3800+TTL (AS IS) which is insane. I'd really like to take this off their hands and deal with the repair myself, but I know its going to be pulling teeth to get them down further, and I'm not even sure how much the repairs might run.

Any advice? Should I try to get them down to $2500 and get it repaired elsewhere? I really want an Orange Vespa and getting a new one with warranty would be swell.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

These are both eBay auctions so they could go either way, but how much would you pay for a 2001 Vespa ET4 with 1600 miles versus a 2005 Vino with 2800? The Vespa is at $1225 and the Vino is at $1075. Both are a 3 hour drive so gas is even. No bids on the Vespa.

Should I just go all flashy and get a pearl white Vespa?

This is personal but I think the ETs are horrible looking. I'd buy the Vino or drop the coin for an S/LX.

Korovyev posted:

I ran into a strange situation today. I've been on the lookout for an orange/yellow Vespa and a 2009 S150 caught my eye at a local dealer. I'm assuming its one of the "New" Vespas that were a surplus and has been sitting in storage since then. I arranged a meeting today to chat about the price- they were asking MSRP and I had my arsenal of printed out comparisons to talk them down.

I get to the lot early, and see the little orange S150 outside in a corner of the parking lot. Things look fine on the right side, until I see this.

Now- moving along to our actual meeting to discuss price. They were still quoting it at MSRP of $4200. At this point, I was really unsure if I should pursue this further, however I got them down to $3800+TTL (AS IS) which is insane. I'd really like to take this off their hands and deal with the repair myself, but I know its going to be pulling teeth to get them down further, and I'm not even sure how much the repairs might run.

Any advice? Should I try to get them down to $2500 and get it repaired elsewhere? I really want an Orange Vespa and getting a new one with warranty would be swell.

But not this S. MSRP (or $3800 OTD which isn't too far from MSRP) for a 4-year-old (pre-fuel-injection, I think) damaged-on-the-lot scooter is a horrible deal. For example a shop near me is showing a (not damaged!) '10 S150 for $3352+TTL, which is probably a good deal. But there are some low-mile used S/LXs for $2200-3000 on Seattle CL and CL seems to be in a huge price spike here right now, since we are having an early start to riding weather.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is personal but I think the ETs are horrible looking. I'd buy the Vino or drop the coin for an S/LX.

Yea I think the Vino is just a better choice due to easier to find parts plus Vespas are just a walking billboard for thieves.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Welp this is mine now.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 8, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

How massive is that windshield?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Pretty massive. I'll probably only use it when it's colder. Oh and someone in the Louisville area will be selling a Big Ruckus soon if anyone here really wants one.

Big Ruckus for sale. I've seen it in person it is really clean and huge.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 8, 2013

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The only key I had for my big scoot was a crappy fold out alarm fob. The screw holding it together disappeared and for a while today my key remnant was stuck in the ignition. Finally removed it and got a copy made at a hardware store. It's been said elsewhere, but I'll say it here: the Curtis TR-39 Toyota key will work as a replacement for the Vento Triton and probably other Chinese scooters. Granted, it only works when inserted one way, but it's tons better than what I had.

hotlettuce
Apr 18, 2013

Democracy is real, just ask the guy who makes all the decisions.

Korovyev posted:

You'll have issues getting it repaired because the damage is to the frame. Even if you wanted to try and hammer the STEEL frame out you would have to take the whole front end out which you shouldn't do yourself, that alone will cost you about $250.00 labor. Once its removed it would be about $60.00 for the Stainless Steel Liner (easy to install) $35.00 for the paint touch up kit and $30.00 - $40.00 for a shrinking hammer + time. In my opinion its not worth messing with, if your not careful you could make the frame more out of whack than it was which would affect the ride, Ive had something like this and it makes the scooter turn faster, not good if your a novice.

In my opinion it isn't worth it. I would say a fair price would be at about $2500 depending upon mileage, but again your better off buying a new one. Vespa has seasonal sales of new and used bikes every couple of months, I would just be patient.

hotlettuce
Apr 18, 2013

Democracy is real, just ask the guy who makes all the decisions.

Hashal posted:

Hey guys, hoping you can help me find an appropriate new ride. My girlfriend lost her drivers license, so looking for something that's powered that she can ride legally. In California, this is now restricted down to electric mopeds under 1,000 watts, and must have pedals.

I know nothing about mopeds, what brands to look for, or where to get them. Her work is about 2 - 3 miles away, though is fairly hilly the entire way, and her school is about 5 miles away. Looking for something that can handle those.

In the past we could have gotten away with a scooter under 50cc, but they've changed the laws since I've last looked.

Edit: It looks like it might not have to have the pedals. We are looking at the 2nd type of moped described as it doesn't require a license.

Here is from the California DMV:

In California if it goes over 25mph you need a license for it. I was in the same situation a little over a year ago - I lost my license for a year for not submitting to a bac test during a DUI stop. I looked at alot of different options because my job is 30 miles total round trip. I finally settled on a cheap chinese 50cc and after a few months of learning the ropes bought a Vespa LX150. I did this all with the endorsement of my roommate and long time friend who is LAPD. He basically told me that they dont gently caress with scooters, especially 50cc's unless the operator is being really stupid or endangering others. Yeah it was risky but I have been driving it over a year without a problem from the law and have gotten my M1 since. In my situation this made the most sense because of the distance, in her case I would say a 50cc would be fine, they top out at 40mph so you'll never really get into a speeding situation. Hills will work a small engine very hard so I think a minimum of 50cc's would allow you to keep up with traffic comfortably. If your really paranoid about compliance there are electric bikes you can look at but they are pricey, however because of the distance she needs to travel that might be perfect for her.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

XIII posted:

Things like the fact that I have to basically go WOT to take off from a stop and my top speed is a solid 5mph lower than what I've found online (and I'm a little guy). I'm going to check for air leaks too.

Quote myself to confirm my suspicions. Rode my buddy's and there's a noticeable difference in throttle response and overall pep. Hooray.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Anyone have a good link for a funnel that will fit into the tiny transmission oil hole on my elite 80? I've been using rolled up card stock but would like a better (cleaner) option.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Laminated card stock.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Korovyev posted:

You really are better off finding a used one just because to me the Vespa name is half the cost of the scooter. If you're patient you can even have the color you want. Vespa frame damage is a really expensive repair and one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha instead. Dealers are still scum even if they are scooter dealers.

If you're good you can find 10 year old 150cc Vespa for around $1500 or lower. If you still want the classic look and crazy color options have you looked into Genuine?

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

If you still want the classic look and crazy color options have you looked into Genuine?

Genuine Buddy's are pretty good bikes. My girlfriend started on a Buddy 50 that we bought for $600 and she just bought a used Buddy Blackjack 150 for $1800 with only 1900 miles on it in perfect condition.

As nice as Vespa's are, I would never own one as they are just too drat expensive for what you get. I ride a Vino 125. I bought EVERY plastic on the bike in factory black to change the color of the scooter and it only cost me $300, and that is buying parts directly from the stealership.

Here is a pic of the Blackjack. It looks pretty snazzy with the flat black paint and red wheels.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 15, 2013

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://powersports.honda.com/2014/grom.aspx
Honda are bringing out the MSX125 in the US and calling it the Grom. Not a scooter but similar enough for this thread I think.

Some cool kits out for it already.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm pretty excited for the Grom and might consider getting one down the line. Used of course after someone else gets one from the stealership. I thought about getting a Honda 250R as my first motorcycle, but this might be the right size for me. Depends on the top speed really.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I ride a Vino 125.

:) :hf: I'm getting mine this Friday.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 15, 2013

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
I know basically nothing about bikes of any kind (beyond what's in the OP), but why is this apparently such a good deal?

http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-vintage-fully-auto-with-air-cooled-moped-scooter-p-668.html

It's a scam, right? It's gotta be a scam. :ohdear:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rubber Slug posted:

I know basically nothing about bikes of any kind (beyond what's in the OP), but why is this apparently such a good deal?

http://www.scooterdepot.us/150cc-vintage-fully-auto-with-air-cooled-moped-scooter-p-668.html

It's a scam, right? It's gotta be a scam. :ohdear:

Its not a good deal. Its chinese and absolute garbage. Notice how it has no company name associated with it? Thats a Bad Thing ™

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
yeah don't ever go near that poo poo, someone down the street from me have this exact model (in pink too), she (I assume it's a girl riding this pink piece of crap) got it new about 6 months ago and everything that's chromed has rusted to poo poo, paint is faded and the from the noise it makes I guess it's an old as gently caress honda air cooled engine repro so performance wise it's about equivalent to a modern 50cc.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'll just leave this hear.

Garden City Rally.

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN
Ah, thanks guys. I figured it had to be something like that. I was a bit confused by the lack of a brand name, too. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

That person on the Ruckus is way tiny. Like tinier than me and I fit in most pockets.