Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

I need a price check on a scooter and also what people might think would be entailed in fixing this.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/mcy/1875829383.html

I really like how this looks but considering it isn't running and is missing a few parts, I was thinking of asking this guy if he would take $300 - $350

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Well I went down to one of the local scooter shops in Boston and they talked me out of putting money down on a 4T Stella. Trying out their 2T stella and the $2.7K price tag sold me so I have to finish paying that off in a few weeks.

Holy crap driving at 2T Stella with a sidecar is just about as awesome and horrible as you would think. ( An orange 2T Stella with sidecar is their "company car" which I test drove on a side street next to the dealership.)

I haven't driven something with two wheels that wasn't a motorcyle since I was a kid so the twist shift was really strange but I liked it all the same. I can't wait to pick it up in a few weeks. The avocado color just called out to me. I can't wait to waste a few winter months tooling it up.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 27, 2010

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

My avocado Stella is finally being delivered tonight, I can't wait. For the Stella/PX drivers out there - how long did it take for you to get comfortable with the twist shifting? I've driven motorcycles and dirt bikes before so it was strange to twist-shift. I live in Boston so it will be all city driving. Thankfully I spoke to the parking people at my work and they didn't care if I parked the scooter at the bike racks.

*edit: I also picked up a Haynes Vespa service manual in preparation of getting down and dirty.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 21, 2010

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

I had my first ride into work on the Stella today. It was a blast, especially riding across the Mass Ave bridge (in Boston) early in the morning. I ran into a problem though - I stopped at an intersection about a block from work and the Stella stalled out. No big deal, I just walked it to the side of the road but it wouldn't start. The engine wouldn't turn over, totally dead. I tried to kick start it but there was no compression, only a whirring sound. I pushed it the last block to work and locked it up.

I did put one gallon of gas in it on my way to work this morning and I was wondering if I somehow gave it vapor lock. I just went down and opened up the gas cap to release the pressure but didn't hear any sort of 'woosh' so I'm not sure if that was it. My local scooter shop doesn't open until 11 so I'm going to let it sit until then before I try it again when I call.

It rained last night, so maybe I went through a puddle without noticing and .... no idea.

Thoughts?

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

cheesebot posted:

Fuel tap?

It is set to ON, unless it is somehow broke inside. It was one of the first things I checked once I stopped cursing (FINE-C!). I tried moving it back and forth between the three settings but no dice.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

cheesebot posted:

Oh wait, I missed the no compression part. That's more serious if you're sure about that - definitely a warranty item if you got it new (I'm assuming you got it from scooters-go-green).

I also forgot that those Stellas have an electric start too, so when you hit the starter button there's no turning at all? Howabout the kill switch, maybe there's a short somewhere or a new CDI box is needed. Maybe a battery cable came loose.

It's all about whether you still have power at all on one hand and the compression is another story. If it just died suddenly I'm gonna guess it's an electrical thing and the compression is a red herring.

Yeah, I'm thinking it is an electrical thing since it was running fine up until it stalled. I'm not 100% on the compression part as I was a bit frazzled when it happened. Maybe the amazing Boston roads knocked something loose.

When I hit the electric start I get nothing at all. No clicking, no engine turning over, nothing. I'll check the battery in a bit. I can't really get down and dirty with it because I'm at work so it may just be a call to roadside assistance and get it towed to SGG.

*edit: called the scooter shop, they think it is a bum battery because nothing lights up when I turn the key on. Pretty annoying that the battery died so soon after I bought this. I kind of figured they would check stuff like this before they sent it out. Now I'm just waiting on roadside to come and tow it. Oh well, hopefully they'll give it a good once over before they give it back to me.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 28, 2010

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Z3n posted:

Could also just be loose battery terminals! Sometimes they don't get tightened down properly and some jarring will knock them loose.

I checked them and they were still on tight. Couldn't really do much else other than try to wiggle them around because I don't have my tools and I can't really get dirty.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Heard back from the scooter shop. Looks like it was a blown fuse and a faulty starter. Both have been replaced and I'm good to pick it up tomorrow. Here's hoping I don't have to do that again for a while.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Does anyone know if Genuine makes a case that color matches the Avocado Stellas? I haven't been able to see any online when I've looked and I'd rather not order one of the green Buddy cases to find out it doesn't match.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

cheesebot posted:

I know Coocase was making color-matched lids for their cases for the Buddies but I don't know about Avocado. Twisted Throttle in RI sells them and they have a nice showroom with helpful salespeople if you come down (or call, I think one of them even has a Stella). Give them a call at least.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/article/articleview/371/1/30/

I take it your bike is all good again.

Nice, thanks. I'll give them a ring.

Yeah, the bike is all good and I'm absolutely loving it.

*Edit: Do online scooter sites usually have good winter sales? I'm looking to get a case and some racks but I can afford to wait it out for a while if places usually have sales during the off season.

*Double edit: I just heard back from Genuine and there is nothing that matches the Avocado green of the Stella. I'll just pick up black since the seat is black and I'm thinking of going two-tone black/green anyway.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 2, 2010

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Finally had a weekend to get my Stella out of the basement where I was storing it this winter. I took advantage of a store sale and bought up all of the chrome that was on sale so it is somewhat tricked out now. I also found a 70's metal cooler that fits perfectly on the rear rack. I'm going to sand all of the paint off and paint it black with some avocado pinstripes to match the Stella. After I put on some bits to attach it to the rack and a lock so I can store stuff in it then I'll be all set.

Tupac shot Cobain fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 8, 2011

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just want to say that you're super cool. If I saw that drive by it would make my week.

Thanks! Now I think I can finally realize my life long desire to start a six pack and cigarette delivery service "Six of one, twenty of the other."

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

My 2T Stella is heading into the shop this weekend and I was hoping I could get some thoughts on what might be wrong with it.

I bought it in October of 2010 so it is still within warranty, thankfully. It has about 475 miles on it because I'm not the sort to drive it in the New England winter. When these problems started happening the first thing I checked was the oil levels. The engine oil indicator was still full of blue oil, with only a few bubbles. The gearbox oil also had a few bubbles but was above the minimum level.

I took it out on Saturday and noticed that the engine was a lot louder than normal. It had a clanging/clacking noise. I didn't ride it that much and figured something was up but I would bring it into the shop as soon as I was able. Cue Sunday, riding along (only about 5 - 10 miles) and the engine noise gets a lot louder. I'm in fourth gear and the engine power just gives out. Engine stalls so I pull in the clutch and get to the side of the road. I wait a few minutes, check the oil levels again and start it back up. It drives fine, but loud, and then cuts out a few times until I'm close to home. I push it the rest of the way (hey cool guy!) and now I'm just waiting on a day I can be around to let the roadside assistance cart it down to the shop.

From what I've read online it sounds like a soft seize. I figure it can be all fixed under warranty because it has less than 500 miles and all of the oil indicators looked normal to me. For whatever it is worth I always make sure the choke is pushed all the way in after I start.

I also noticed on the Sunday drive that whenever I put on the right indicator it would stay light and wouldn't make the pining noise. It would just make the noise continuously like something was stuck on.

Not sure if this matters, but over the weekend is was probably around 90 - 100 degrees out. I never drive it for that long, just to commute to work and back. At most it is probably 5 - 15 miles away from my work depending on where I stay.

Am I missing something that I've done that could make it so the cost has to come out of my wallet?

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Now, since you didn't make any changes it doesn't really sound like it was something you caused initially, but since you rode it with "clanging/clacking noises" you sure as hell may have made it worse.

To pull this quote out, you're totally right. I knew I was in the wrong on this but wasn't thinking. No real excuse on that.

As far as the engine sounding louder it sounded like a card clacking in the spokes of a tire, only louder. Most likely something clanging around in the engine.

You're right, I did not check the transmission oil. I check the 2 stroke oil indicator, with a few bubbles. I knew that was a sign to change it, but I figured if none of the white was showing then I would change it when the engine hit 500 miles. The other oil level I checked was the oil level on the front brake. I am a bad scooter owner but I assumed that was the brake oil fluid. I know I looked at the diagram once but then promptly forgot in my rush to start riding.

Yeah, the turn signal would work intermittently so I figured it was a bad connection. I also have a bad high beam (worked intermittently).

I am in the wrong here but it was one of those things where I said "well, the engine oil is doing alright and there are a few small things wrong but I'll wait a few days until I bring it into the shop." I was going to bring it in on this weekend already, it just sucks that now it has to be brought in on a stretcher instead of ridden into the shop.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

cheesebot posted:

Yeah, did they not explain at the shop (I think you said it was Scooters Go Green) how a 2 stroke engine works at all? That oil gets burned up along with the gas and is very, very important. I top off my P's oil every hundred miles or so just in case I get caught somewhere with no 2-stroke available.

Oh, I didn't want to shed any sort of bad light on Scooters Go Green. I know how a 2 stroke engine works but figured if my oil indicator had just started to show some bubbles then I still had a bit before I needed to start adding oil. I'll know better from now on.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Well, scooter is in the shop and I guess there are TOP MEN looking at it to see what is wrong. Hopefully it doesn't take too much longer for them to fix the problem.

I do have a question for other Stella owners. Did you ever receive a membership number for the free roadside assistance? I've had to call them twice and every time they ask for my number. I don't have one so I have to give them a bunch of information before they can find me in the system. When I asked at the dealer they said I should have received it when I bought the scooter, but I think they were thinking of the phone number, not the membership number. I've tried contacting Genuine via email and twitter but haven't heard anything back. It isn't that big of a deal since it all works out in the end, but it does get annoying having to give them the same information over and over.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Took my first minor spill on my Stella this week!

I was riding down Mass Ave in Cambridge, between Harvard and Porter for anyone from the area, and didn't notice a gnarly double pot hole until it was too late. I've driven this route a thousand times so I don't know if it was new or I just happened to be distracted and hit it. Thankfully I wasn't going fast at all and just ended up with some sprains on my right side and a couple of dents on the right rear cowl. The crash guard absorbed most of it. Sadly the scooter wouldn't start to I had to get a tow.

Took off the right cowl today and it looks like the only damage was a few broken fins on the flywheel. I also had to bang out the flywheel guard but after I cleaned it out and reformed the guard it seems all good to go. Is there anything I could be missing, or is there any really bad reason I shouldn't be driving with a flywheel that has a few broken fins? I can't think of any and asked my father, who is a mechanic, and he didn't see any problem with it. Now, he doesn't have any experience with scooters so that is why I figured I would ask here. I'll obviously replace the flywheel but I'm hoping I can just wait until one of the scooter shops has a sale or I can save up the money.

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Sh4 posted:

If you mean the cooling fins on the ignition rotor, you are fine because it's heavy enought for it to not affect balance, it will affect cooling tho.

Also if you guys need to order parts from europe I can send them to you no problems especially minarelli engine parts, I also have a bunch of spares so if you need anything for these engines ask me, I also have a bunch of racing exhausts I need to sell for both horizontal and vertical models.

You are correct, thanks. I knew I was probably using the wrong terminology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupac shot Cobain
Jul 4, 2003

Anyone happen to have a flywheel that will fit a 2009 Stella that they are interested in selling? Doesn't have to be stock, just looking for a good price.