Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So "it" finally happened to me... my A4 has been parked outside continuously, but I haven't driven it since early December. Went to go turn it over today / recharge battery and... mold. Mold everywhere. (Seattle, and a FUCKLOAD of rain happened). loving gross.

I jumped the car, let it idle / heat up and blasted the heat on high + put my ozone generator inside, while hitting every surface I could immediately see with Clorox wipes. I intend to take it to my detailer at some point, but... as I was taking it around on a shakedown of sorts, I felt a few drops of water hit my head from the headliner. The sunroof switch also feels incredibly crunchy now, so I'm wondering if I need to pull that and see if contact cleaner (assuming it's not sealed) can save it.

So questions:

1. Where are the sunroof drains / other drains I should check to see if they got clogged?
2. Is there a good non-destructive way to remove the headliner to see what the gently caress happened?
3. General mold remediation advice. I have an ozone generator, the car is parked indoors now in my garage with all the windows open.

Links to any good DIYs / Audizine / whatever welcome -- the few I found have dead Photobucket links which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Motronic posted:

Oh, I'm not saying they're right, I'm saying they're cheap and use any excuse to get out of paying for warrranty parts/labor. "It's a wear item" is just the most popular one for wear items with obvious manufacturing defects like that must have had to let loose so soon.

Yeah, that memory did colour my decision to go with an S7 over a Panamera GTS. I'm not dropping anywhere near the sort of money he did and if that's the manufacturer's dealer network experience then... Nah.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

movax posted:

So "it" finally happened to me... my A4 has been parked outside continuously, but I haven't driven it since early December. Went to go turn it over today / recharge battery and... mold. Mold everywhere. (Seattle, and a FUCKLOAD of rain happened). loving gross.

I jumped the car, let it idle / heat up and blasted the heat on high + put my ozone generator inside, while hitting every surface I could immediately see with Clorox wipes. I intend to take it to my detailer at some point, but... as I was taking it around on a shakedown of sorts, I felt a few drops of water hit my head from the headliner. The sunroof switch also feels incredibly crunchy now, so I'm wondering if I need to pull that and see if contact cleaner (assuming it's not sealed) can save it.

So questions:

1. Where are the sunroof drains / other drains I should check to see if they got clogged?
2. Is there a good non-destructive way to remove the headliner to see what the gently caress happened?
3. General mold remediation advice. I have an ozone generator, the car is parked indoors now in my garage with all the windows open.

Links to any good DIYs / Audizine / whatever welcome -- the few I found have dead Photobucket links which sucks.

Is the A4 under the lawsuit coverage for the sunroof? If so, take that poo poo to the dealer and they do it all.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

movax posted:

So questions:

which year audi is this?

manuals really need to have this information and say to clean them often, so many people with clogged drains or cars that get flodded due to this.

I fixed it by not having a sunroof

movax
Aug 30, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

Is the A4 under the lawsuit coverage for the sunroof? If so, take that poo poo to the dealer and they do it all.

Celexi posted:

which year audi is this?

manuals really need to have this information and say to clean them often, so many people with clogged drains or cars that get flodded due to this.

Sadly no, it's a 2006... I think that lawsuit was 2012 on?

Got myself a P100 respirator and started cleaning... it's not as bad as some of the poo poo I've seen on Reddit, so I think there might be some hope. Will pull the seats and get them baking in the sun / under some heat, and ran my ozone generator again.

I pulled the battery and the drain under it may have been clogged... lot of leaves / debris in there. The one under the power steering pump was OK. I still need to check the sunroof drains tomorrow to see if they may be clogged.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Mr. Apollo posted:

I already have their ECU and TCU tune. :)

The only real world benefit of CCBs I can think of for most people would be the reduced unsprung weight.

Next step: we need pics :D

K918
Jan 6, 2022

Good. And you?
Steam is great to kill mold.
Lots and lots of steam.

Get a steamer and absolutely go to town on the textiles.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Motronic posted:

I run my 5,500 lb. Cayenne Turbo through actual rally stages at pace and never have any brake fade. PCCB is an upsell in search of deep pockets. Totally unnecessary on anything other than a literal track vehicle....and even then not every one.

Most people who track their cars and are not millionaires avoid CCB because they're so drat expensive to replace, hah. I feel like there are very few situations where they make sense for normal people. If I had unlimited money I would get them though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Celexi posted:

as an alltrack owner who parks outside I thank God every day that I made this call

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I just got raked over the coals at the dealer for a replacement key on my non-KESSY 2011 GTI, and a month later the original key fails to start the car - it runs for a second and then shuts off with a 'Key not in range' message on the MFI. Put a new tested CR2032 in it and it's the same problem. Lock/unlock works just fine on the fob.

If I take the battery out of the fob, the car starts and runs just fine :dafuq:

Guess I'm prying off the lock cover and going old school

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

superdylan posted:

I just got raked over the coals at the dealer for a replacement key on my non-KESSY 2011 GTI, and a month later the original key fails to start the car - it runs for a second and then shuts off with a 'Key not in range' message on the MFI. Put a new tested CR2032 in it and it's the same problem. Lock/unlock works just fine on the fob.

I thought if you're getting a new dealer key it's that expensive because they have to reprogram the car to the new key (the RFID immobilizer). I didn't think you were supposed to be able to use the old one.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 16, 2024

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

VelociBacon posted:

I thought if you're getting a new dealer key it's that expensive because they have to reprogram the car to the new key (the RFID immobilizer). I didn't think you were supposed to be able to use the old one.

Sorry I wasn't clear about that, I bought the car with one key and the dealer took the old key, the new key, the car, and a pile of money and programmed the immobilizer to use all of them. It was fine for a month or so. It's probably worth a followup call to have them fix it but my experience with their staff was real bad

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

superdylan posted:

Sorry I wasn't clear about that, I bought the car with one key and the dealer took the old key, the new key, the car, and a pile of money and programmed the immobilizer to use all of them. It was fine for a month or so. It's probably worth a followup call to have them fix it but my experience with their staff was real bad

So punish them by making them accountable for their poor work imo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

As much as I would love it to be, it's not their fault the original key stopped working properly a month after they paired a new key. That's just not how any of the related systems works.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Well goons I entered another chapter of VAG ownership today. We’ve had 7 VWs and one Audi (an A3 back in 2006).

I always wanted a hot hatch and specifically a GTI. When I was a young man I couldn’t afford one or the insurance and by the time I was earning more money I had kids and a mortgage. Eventually I was making enough, had cleared the mortgage and the kids weren’t as expensive so I bought a brand new 2016 GTI in tornado red and named her Heidi. God I loved that car, kept her for 7 years, the longest I have owned a car in my life.

Then at 230 am one day three scumbags tried to break into the house. The police helpfully told my wife they had been after the car keys and that was that, the GTI had to go.

I changed to a regular Golf, a Mk7.5 Match Edition 1.5tsi evo. The match is the run out model here in the UK at the end of a model production so you get some extra gadgets that would have previously been paid for extras. It was Atlantic Blue metallic and a fine car but GTI ownership has ruined lesser Golfs for me and I just couldn’t love it.

So I was having a think and remembered how much I used to enjoy driving the A3 - even though it wasn’t fast or powerful it was a sporty drive and felt planted. So I went and had a mooch around Audi at the weekend and today collected an A3 S-line TFSI 35 in glacier white. It’s swank inside with nice seats and feels like you’re ‘in it’ rather than just driving it.

Tl/dr - I bought an Audi today.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
I’ve generally been a bit of a hater about the latest gen A3 but I had never seen the hatch version. That is sharp as hell.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I, too, want a GTI. Mk7 or 7.5. Something about the series look I love.

I do not like the Mk6 and I do not like the Mk8. For any golf.

Until then, I shall remain in my Mk7 Golf TDI and enjoy 500 miles to the tank.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

superdylan posted:

sounds like your car got somehow programmed to use kessy and is defaulting to that until it can't sense a remote, I have a couple obd2 readers that can either pair keys or clone keys of any brand, best investment ever.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
I guess I'll cross post this here

"I have been having a strange issue for my 2016 VW GTI, about 80k miles.

After a bit of testing, it only seems to happen between 2-3k RPM in 4th through 6th gear and at full throttle. Acceleration stutters and feels like it can't get enough fuel, but it doesn't turn on a CEL. The rest of the time it's 100% fine. I ordered new spark plugs and need to toss them in, but I'm not sure if it's just bad gas that needs to be run out of the tank, plugs that need to be replaced, a fuel pump or filter? I'm not sure. It doesn't happen 100% of the time either and rarely in the same manner. Some stutters are harder than others."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I guess I'll cross post this here

"I have been having a strange issue for my 2016 VW GTI, about 80k miles.

After a bit of testing, it only seems to happen between 2-3k RPM in 4th through 6th gear and at full throttle. Acceleration stutters and feels like it can't get enough fuel, but it doesn't turn on a CEL. The rest of the time it's 100% fine. I ordered new spark plugs and need to toss them in, but I'm not sure if it's just bad gas that needs to be run out of the tank, plugs that need to be replaced, a fuel pump or filter? I'm not sure. It doesn't happen 100% of the time either and rarely in the same manner. Some stutters are harder than others."

Either injectors or Coil Packs. Lack of a CEL doesn't mean there isn't a logged pending fault, I'd still get it read with VCDS to check for misfires.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm also gonna cross post, because I'm making headway but i'm still not sure about this CEL issue on my mk7 golf.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=537885467
(starts there and continues)

rough starts, P2188 CEL citing "System Too Rich Off Idle Bank 1". cleaned the MAP, but not sure what else if it doesnt play. MAP and Fuel pump are both $$$ parts so i dont wanna throw parts at the problem

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 20, 2024

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Nevermind

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2024

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
Turned out my key fob was just poo poo and I should have known when I checked the battery 4 days after replacing it and it was reading 2.5V. There's just no inexpensive options for keys, is there? F my wallet

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

superdylan posted:

Turned out my key fob was just poo poo and I should have known when I checked the battery 4 days after replacing it and it was reading 2.5V. There's just no inexpensive options for keys, is there? F my wallet

you can buy a key programmer/cloner for 400-500 if you are doing this often enough or think someone you know might need, but aside from that there isn't

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Celexi posted:

you can buy a key programmer/cloner for 400-500 if you are doing this often enough or think someone you know might need, but aside from that there isn't

With dealer prices those key programmers start making sense even as a one shot deal. Of course it's even better if you have an indy mechanic or locksmith who already has the tools and won't charge you dealer rates.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

According to Auto Motor und Sport magazine, the next gen RS5 will only be available as a wagon (avant). The sportback will still be available in the regular A and maybe S models, but the RS will be wagon only.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

According to Auto Motor und Sport magazine, the next gen RS5 will only be available as a wagon (avant). The sportback will still be available in the regular A and maybe S models, but the RS will be wagon only.

Whoa hell yeah. Is that a europe only thing I didn’t even know about? (Well obviously it will be euro only when it comes out but is the RS5 currently offered in avant in euro land?)

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

TheBacon posted:

Whoa hell yeah. Is that a europe only thing I didn’t even know about? (Well obviously it will be euro only when it comes out but is the RS5 currently offered in avant in euro land?)
The RS5 is only offered as a sportback. The rest of the world gets the mechanically identical RS4 avant in addition to the RS5. Since Audi is switching to "even number = pure EV & odd number = ICE or hybrid", the A/S/RS 5 will now also fill the A/S/RS 4 role for people who want an ICE or hybrid car.

The next gen RS5 will be a plug in hybrid using the same 2.9L TT V6 with an electric motor. The Bentley Flying Spur Hybrid has the same setup and puts out 536 HP nd 551 ft-lbs.

North America will get the RS 5 Avant since it'll be the only option available.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 22, 2024

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Mr. Apollo posted:

The RS5 is only offered as a sportback. The rest of the world gets the mechanically identical RS4 avant in addition to the RS5. Since Audi is switching to "even number = pure EV & odd number = ICE or hybrid", the A/S/RS 5 will now also fill the A/S/RS 4 role for people who want an ICE or hybrid car.

The next gen RS5 will be a plug in hybrid using the same 2.9L TT V6 with an electric motor. The Bentley Flying Spur Hybrid has the same setup and puts out 536 HP nd 551 ft-lbs.

North America will get the RS 5 Avant since it'll be the only option available.

Huh okay thanks!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Long shot, but does anybody have any experience with the diesel/mild hybrid S7 or S6? I am staring down the barrel of increasing levels of work mileage that have an inverse relationship with the logic of a 4.0 petrol V8.

What's holding me back is that the MPG benefit seems pretty mild for what is on paper a slower car, buuut I believe it's a proper slushbox on the newer models rather than the 7 speed DSG, which means a fairly aggressive remap would eliminate the performance deficit because the gearbox is far more able to handle the greater torque and power.

Or maybe I should just be a degenerate and have an engine and gearbox remap at APR as the warranty is long gone anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

bij
Feb 24, 2007

After waffling on a new car for years I just got a 2024 A3 Premium Plus and I'm loving it. I wrote it off for a while because I thought I wanted something sportier and didn't care about creature comforts - I was wrong. It's more than enough power to get going and the handling is super tight. Maybe I'll change my tune when something breaks but the rose colored glasses are 100% on right now.

I didn't imagine I'd get a black car but Mythos Black with the black optic package is HOT.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bij posted:

After waffling on a new car for years I just got a 2024 A3 Premium Plus and I'm loving it. I wrote it off for a while because I thought I wanted something sportier and didn't care about creature comforts - I was wrong. It's more than enough power to get going and the handling is super tight. Maybe I'll change my tune when something breaks but the rose colored glasses are 100% on right now.

I didn't imagine I'd get a black car but Mythos Black with the black optic package is HOT.

Audi and VAG has come a long way in reliability. I won’t count your chickens but I don’t think you’ll have to worry about much beyond scheduled maintenance for a long time. Enjoy the whip.

As an owner of an older A4, black Audis are the right color.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Inner Light posted:

Audi and VAG has come a long way in reliability

In which direction?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

trilobite terror posted:

In which direction?

I can't speak to VW, but my last 6+ years of modernish Audis has only cost me chewing through front axle tyres and service items. That spectrum covers punts on cheap petrol and diesel A6s, a dog-rough looking CVT A4, a presentable S5 and S7 and RS6.

I'm getting giddy enough to start putting together clearly bad financial maths to justify owning a V10 R8 before they become unaffordium.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
IDK, I lived through “first model year B8 ownership” and it was rough. Like “two transmissions, two turbochargers” rough.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

trilobite terror posted:

IDK, I lived through “first model year B8 ownership” and it was rough. Like “two transmissions, two turbochargers” rough.

I put 75k km on a B9 over three years and had one cam shift sensor go and had to replace the intermediate steering shaft after it bound up causing it to have some play. It was an unusually reliable car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

I put 75k km on a B9 over three years and had one cam shift sensor go and had to replace the intermediate steering shaft after it bound up causing it to have some play. It was an unusually reliable car.

my dad’s B8 A4 turned him into a Tesla owner after 9 years/~200k miles

I think it went through like $15k in parts and repair/warranty work, with like ~70% of that on VAG’s dime

Like I said, first year for the B8, so all of it was pre-revision stuff. With the infamous pre-facelift tiptronic that got replaced in the range with a transmission that not only was substantially more reliable but it also shaved like a second off the 0-60 time. Unfortunately that one wasn’t compatible with his version of the B8 so all he got was a new stock lovely one and it predictably blew up on him and took out part of the motor again and it all got replaced with pre-revision parts again (and then they blew up too)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 23, 2024

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

trilobite terror posted:

Yeah sorry I qualified what I said in my head but didn't clarify in my post. I was referring to strictly very new Audi / VAG products. B9 and onwards is when it started hitting par for rest of the industry, IMHO as a nonexpert.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Theophany posted:

Long shot, but does anybody have any experience with the diesel/mild hybrid S7 or S6? I am staring down the barrel of increasing levels of work mileage that have an inverse relationship with the logic of a 4.0 petrol V8.

What's holding me back is that the MPG benefit seems pretty mild for what is on paper a slower car, buuut I believe it's a proper slushbox on the newer models rather than the 7 speed DSG, which means a fairly aggressive remap would eliminate the performance deficit because the gearbox is far more able to handle the greater torque and power.

Or maybe I should just be a degenerate and have an engine and gearbox remap at APR as the warranty is long gone anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

Which TDI is that? If its the 3.0 TDI V6: It'd be decent, in the the A7/S7 platform it gets really good mileage (up to 45 MPG)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

Mashallah the auto transmission on my dad’s Cabrio is fixed up and now it drives butter smooth again. Turns out it was the fluid pan gasket perishing and cracking and losing all of the transmission fluid plus some of the radiator hoses.

With the level and speed of fluid loss I was convinced it was a crack in the housing or something along those lines and was mentally preparing to explain the costs associated with finding a replacement automatic transmission for a mk3 golf/jetta/cabrio (impossible) or doing a manual swap ($1200 in parts kit plus like another grand in labor), so $475 all in and done in a day is a welcome surprise

Car drives awesome now. I am well pleased