Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
I have a '04 Passat GLX Wagon (B5); the passenger HID low-beam has gone out, but the rest of the headlamp assembly still works (high beams, DRLs, turn signal).

The only thing I can find online as a replacement part is the entire assembly, which is a few hundred dollars. I got the Bentley service manual for the car for Christmas, and I can see that the assembly opens up and that individual light can be replaced, but it doesn't list a part number. Could you give me the p/n? Is there something that I'm missing here that is the reason I can only find the whole headlamp assembly and not the bulbs?

I was just about to post in the stupid question thread and happened to see this. This looks like a lot of great information so far. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

I'll check it out for you on Monday and get a part number. What country are you in?

Thanks! I'm in the US.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

According to my parts dept your part number is N 104 457 01 - gas discharge bulb.

Thanks! $80 for the bulb was a whole lot cheaper than $400 something for the whole light package.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
(quasi-cross-post from the 'piss you off' thread)

I tried replacing the low-beam bulb after I got it, thanks to your help with the part number.

I got the hood release pull taken off (a little tricky with big fingers), two bolts and seven plastic clips for the grille, four bolts for the bumper under thre grille, two bolts holding on the pillars of the bumper that go between the grille and the headlamps, three quick release bolts that hold the underside of the bumper-airdam to the bottom of the car, three bolts on each side of the wheel well, and it still wouldn't slide out of the guide pieces. It feels like its binding, or is still screwed in where the lip of the bumper meets the fender, but I can't see any bolts there and I'd have to take off the wheel well covers to investigate further.

I'd love to change the bulb out -- do you have any suggestions?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

my1999gsr posted:

Did you get the 2 #5's on the diagram? If I recall, those 2 screws will go upwards between the plastic of the bumper cover and the metal of the fender itself. There should be an indent/cutout in the fender-liner right where the fender and bumper meet so that you can access the screws.

EDIT: Wait a sec.. Isn't your car a Passat? If it is, then there's 1 or 2 10mm nuts that you have to move the fender liner out of the way to see. With the fender liner out of the way, if you shine a light forward (toward the back of the turn signal lens in the bumper) you should see them.

Yeah, there's three #5s per side, took those out. Thanks for the tip on the nuts; I'l try again this weekend.

primitive posted:

:aaaaa:

Holding it down on the engineering tip?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

I ended up getting these. They certainly grip much better than the OEM ContiProContacts and are not louder. Hopefully when it dries out I'll see if they are quieter too.

I will say I felt bad watching the tire techs wrangling the tires up and trying to get the lug bolts started without any studs to support the wheel. That isn't going to be a fun flat change when it finally happens.

There should be a plastic stud in your emergency kit, if you still have it. Screw it in hand-tight as you're taking the tire off, then you can use it to line up the spare. I've had to do a few roadside changes (I also have extreme contact DWS— they're great but don't stand up to sharp things on the road, you know), and it worked pretty flawlessly, as long as I had the nut for the security bolt.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
The back hatch of my 04 Passat wagon is stuck shut, although the door sensor and cargo light are on. It looks like the latch is caught on some dry cleaning I threw in the back on the way to work today. Neither the key nor the switch is operating the latch mechanism-- at least, I can't hear the mechanism being actuated like I normally can.

Is there some sort of manual release somewhere in the car, or some way to get the interior trim off of the hatch with it closed so I can get at the latch myself? I'm mostly concerned that the cargo light is staying on after I lock the car since it's not sensing that the hatch is shut. I'd rather not have the battery going flat.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Got a question about a screw I'm not sure 1) the part number for 2) if it actually exists.

During the winter I put my 04 Passat into the snowbank at the edge of my driveway a little too hard, and the next morning when I pulled off to go to work the two lower fog light grills stayed in the snow. I haven't put them back on the car because it looks like there's a hole for a screw that's supposed to retain them:

Oretty sure that's not just the mold sprue, since it's hollow and it looks like there's a boss for the screw next to the foglight on the car. However, those screws sure weren't on the car in February.

I'd just slap the things back on since they do have some retaining clips along the edges but I'd rather not have them fall off on the highway or something. Partsbase doesn't show any kind of screw holding the things on, so I don't know what the hell.

Do any of you guys know if there's actually supposed to be a screw there and what length and pitch it is? :iiam:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Arishtat posted:

I'm pretty certain that they're just press fit with some plastic tabs to keep them in place. The ones that I had on the 2002 Jetta were of similar design; after losing them a couple of times I glued them in with a couple of big globs of clear silicone sealant. Make sure to clean off the grime before applying the silicone or it won't stick worth a drat.

CountOfNowhere posted:

I believe that's a recess for the fog light's adjuster screw, but I don't have my car in front of me to check.

I picked up a set of those grills + center on ROCKAUTO for, like, $33 shipped. It'd be worth it to have a spare set around since they are so easy to lose.

Thanks guys. Adjuster screw recess makes sense, there's definitely something there that lines up with it on the fogger. And thanks for the rockauto tip: the grills are like 1/4 the price of price of ECS/Pelican there, holy poo poo.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Cross post from stupid question thread:01 VW Passat station wagon v6 automatic 125k miles has recently had a headlight problem. I replaced both headlights and the right headlight still would not illuminate. High-beams on both sides work. I checked the fuses for both low beams and they are fine, so I checked to see if there was power to either fuse slot and the right headlight fuse slot reads 0VDC. I'm not much of a gear head and am curious if I have any options other than having the entire fuse box replaced to restore functionality to my right headlight. All the other fuses read correctly.

I was also curious about how difficult it would be for me with only very basic tools to remove the fuse box and look for cracked/damaged or loose wiring.

I had both low beams go out simultaneously at night on a long road trip in my 04 Passat several months ago; when I replaced the left bulb and jiggled the right one around to replace it, it started working again. I don't remember if it's the 01 or the 02 that is the cutoff for the different headlight package, but may I recommend that you commence the jiggling?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sound posted:

So yeah, 820 awhp in a b5 avant. Pretty pumped.

As a driver of a 190 bhp b5 avant, I demand some pictures of this, it sounds delightful :syoon: :syoon:

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sound posted:

As requested: dirty from dispatching a tank of e85 with extreme violence

http://imgur.com/fFIVZz6.jpg

And the fun box:

http://imgur.com/cGj7H3X.jpg

Nice! I think that body style always looks best in black/dark gray. The gunmetal wheels are a good combo.

MomJeans420 posted:

I have a feeling you'll be back posting in here sooner rather than later.

Hopefully we get a thread out of it.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

rockear posted:

I just bought an '08 Passat wagon and I'm having trouble with the rear hatch. It won't open using the fob, the interior switch, or the switch inside the exterior handle. I can hear some whirring when I push the button but there is zero movement. You can pull it open, but it feels like you're fighting the motor. The auto-close works perfectly, and it never gives a warning about the hatch being open on the dash.

It seems from VW forums that people have a lot of issues with the B6 wagon hatch, but I haven't found anything conclusive on a fix. Anybody have experience?

Is there some kind of auto-opening motor on this hatch, or are you meaning the motor that actuates the latch? If it's the latter, I had a similar problem in my B5; closed the hatch on a load of laundry when it was quite windy outside, and a shirt tail got stuck in the latch mechanism, which the actuator motor proceeded to bend.Got it back open once with the motor but after that it was stuck. I could hear the motor trying to actuate the latch but it wouldn't ever make it all the way. I had to take the door card off the hatch from inside to force the latch open manually. The latch is only about 40 bucks online and pretty easy to replace after you get to it.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

bolind posted:

Hey VAG nerds, is there a resource like bmwfans, but for VAG, where I can look up parts and part numbers for my brother's 2012 Skoda Superb? He needs a new front headlight assembly, as a dove took it (and itself) out at 120 kph.

http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012/ will get you the diagrams and part numbers, but you'll have to search around Google or whatever to actually buy the stuff.

Edit:

halogen headlight assy is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94100-halogen-headlights/ and the HIDZZZZZ is http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2012-94120-halogen-twin-headlights-with-gas-discharge-bulb-individual-parts/

bennyfactor fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

borkencode posted:

VAG is recalling half a million cars due to cheating diesel emissions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/b...89&ref=cta&_r=1

2009-2015 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, A3
2014,2015 Passat

Here's probably why they did it— for diesels, the EU regs target low Oxides of Nitrogen and Carbon Monoxide production, and don't even care about non-methane organic compounds. The EPA average of Tier 2 (Bin 5) has a stark limit on NMOG, even lower than the limit for Euro V petrol engines; the EPA limits on the values Europe cares about are multiples higher.

You can see the data here but the units are incompatible; so I've converted the EPA rules to mg/km: