Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the reply guys! It looks Iike I'm covered for most of it so it should be a normal oil change. Do you guys know of an app that can "track" the services that I've done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

I use aCar to track my maintenance, fuel economy and money spent on my car. It's one of maybe 4 apps I've bought in the past 6 years.

Looks like it's only available for Andriod.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My car is having a really rough time starting up. I replaced all the spark plugs not too long ago. It's a bit frustrating because it happens intermittently. It'll be like, chug-chug-chug-chug-chug-bang and it'll start up fine after that. Drives fine. I guess I need to clean the engine internally? What is that process called specifically? I have a 80k GTI if that matters.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Mk1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7?

MKV, FSI I beleive.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

DesperateDan posted:

Like everyone else said, check your coils. There's a reason I have 2 spares in the boot :)

**edit

Also get a bluetooth OBDII widget, download torque and pull the codes if you want a clue as to which one you need to do (probably all of them within a few months of each other). Pull the coil for whichever cylinder isn't firing right, switch it with another one and see if the problem moves to the new cylinder.

I replaced all the coils no more than a year ago? I've read on a few forums that I might need an internal cleaning, and it's "normal" for my car around that mileage. I guess I can always get the Audi coil packs.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

My car keeps losing this year. It's one thing after another. Oil change, carbon cleaning, temperature sensor replacement, DSG is leaking, front axle is leaking grease...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

2008 GTI here. It seems that my pink G12 coolant is running a bit low. The liquid is *just* at the minimum line. Does anyone know what I should buy to fill it up?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What proportions did you mix the coolant with the water?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uh oh. My car was towed and I was able to pick it up, but they didn't use a flat bed. They weren't able to tell me if they towed it from the front or the back. They think the front. I have a 2008 GTI. I assume that I would be able to tell almost instantly if they towed it incorrectly?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Manual or automatic?

Automatic. DSG.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

yes, absolutely. the differential alone is worth it.

i'd like to think that the tow driver is probably not stupid enough to tow it in Park. You'd probably know right away if they did it wrong.

Pardon my ignorance, but it was towed cause it was parked illegally. So they wouldn't ha e been able to take it out of park?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

It was one of those situations where I read the sign incorrectly, there were two different signs. The SFMTA are a bunch of crooks anyway. It took $600 to get my car out of the impound (which was taken only an hour earlier) and I got a ticket on top of that. I've never been towed before but ugh... $600 is so much money.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Just got a CEL on my GTI. Again. It's for the MAF. Again. Ugh, so annoying. The first time, it turnout out to be a faulty "intake flapper motor", which cost me about $400, but then I got back when VW put out a recall for it. The second time (last fall) was because the MAF wires through the bulkhead were worn through and I had to get the hardness repaired. I'm curious what it is this time. Maybe it's the actual sensor, which would allow me to use the spare that I bought years ago the first time the fault came up!

Our car is weirdly expensive, but I suppose all Volkswagens are.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oy. Fuel cap light on my 2008 GTI stays on. Can it be anything else aside from the actual fuel cap? I'm gonna order a new one online, but wondering what could make that happen.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would it be to steal a 2008 GTI?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What are some cheap modifications I can do to my 2008 GTI? I added some seat badges (for the handle?) which was pretty cool. Wondering what else people have added to their GTIs, since they're pretty similar sometimes.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

DP and Tune

DP? Tune is expensive!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Best money I've spent on my MKV GTI is getting a European blind spot mirror for the driver's side.

https://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_V--2.0T/Exterior/Mirrors/Glass/ES1862888/

How difficult was this to install?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Consider these

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...c8-78cb3de6212c

OEM power folding, includes the euro glass, power folding, and has puddle lights.

Requires vagcom coding.

Puddle light?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the Alltrack a new VW car? Or has this line been available elsewhere? I'm a bit weary of buying a first year of any product.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looking to get a new head unit for my MKV. I currently have the stock unit. It would be pretty cool to stream music to it and have my maps from my phone on that screen too. I currently have an iPhone if that matters. Suggestions?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I'm hoping someone can give me a sense of what might be the issue with my car. I have a 2D 2008 GTI.

Occasionally when my car starts up it's perfectly fine (chug chug chug voom). There have been other times where my car starts up and it stalls a bit, but starts up... something like... (chug chug chug chug *stall for like 1-2 seconds* voom) or something like (chug chug *stalls for like 3 seconds* chug *stalls for 1-2 seconds* chug chug voom). There isn't a real rhyme or reason to it either, doesn't matter if it is hot, cold or raining outside. Doesn't even matter if it is from a cold start or if there's been a hour in between. Just happens randomly.

I did notice that one of the following things will happen if the car doesn't start perfectly the first time.

1. The radio will be off. I usually have to push the power button down and it will turn on and work perfectly fine. Other times, it will work even if the car stalls a bit.

2. The power windows will not work. I can move the windows up and down, but the power function will not. Sometimes it will be on the left sometimes on the right, sometimes it will be both. Totally random.

The last time I brought my car into my mechanic, he told me that the car didn't throw any codes and he didn't notice anything in terms of the start-up. He told me unfortunately, I'm just going to wait until a code comes up or something breaks. The windows and the radio issues didn't happen yet.

I just want to get a sense of what might be wrong with the car. Other than the issues I mentioned above, the car works perfectly fine.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

May sound dumb, but have you checked all the fuses?

I have not checked those. Nor do I know how. I'm sure I can figure it out though. Is it process intensive?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Apparently I need to replace my battery for a 08' GTI. Any idea what's a good battery? It doesn't snow where I live (if that matters?).

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Big rear end rock hit my front windshield. Any ideas how to fix it aside from replacing the whole thing?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Are there roll-up or foldable cargo covers for a 2008 GTI? I've only seen the regular rigid ones.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I wanted to install a RCD 330G Plus but I heard there was a battery draining issue? I read that it was related to the CANBUS model you have, but haven't been able to find any other information. Anyone install this?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

What do you guys think about the upcoming AllTrack as a family car in the city? Or would another GTI be good?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

Upcoming? The Alltrack has been out for two years now.

It’s a nice package, overall, especially in the city. It’s more spacious than a Impreza/Crosstrek, and less huge than an Outback. It drives and handles better than most competition, since it’s basically just a Golf+. It has a nicer interior than most competition. It has a (IMO) understated handsomeness in its design that will age far better than most competitors.

Also can be had with a manual transmission which makes it a gem. Plus if you’re into it the EA888 can be chipped for a few hundred bucks and will boost power and torque significantly (at the expense of your warranty coverage).

It’s not a true off-roader but the AWD and little bit extra clearance makes it more confident on forest roads and in unpacked snow. Subaru has a better AWD system at the end of the day if you really need it.

There are good deals to be had on them because wagons don’t sell particularly well in the current crossover/SUV crazed market.

The knock against it is VW’s poor reliability reputation. But new VWs have a 6yr / 72k mi warranty now which might help allay some fears.

The other notable downside is the fuel efficiency is kinda meh. It’s not terrible but it’s not great.

I’m pretty tempted to pick one up myself before VW kills the manual option for good, and hang onto it for as long as is it stays in one piece.

Thought the one coming out in 2019 was a refresh? Or was that for the GTI? It's been a while since I followed up with Volkswagen stuff. I have a MKV and have been stupidly happy with it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone here own a Sportwagen?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a general Volkswagen thread? I'm wondering what type of small modifications I can do on my Tiguan.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is that thread

why did you buy that tiguan that everyone told you not to buy

I actually didn’t buy that one. A few models came in that were a lot more reasonable, but were sold out within the day. I wasn’t even able to go and see the car.

So I went to VW.com and looked up every dealership within California to see if had my model. They did not. Used CarGurus to look nation wide, found some, none of them would deliver to California.

Called a car broker through Cartilligent and she very nice and helpful in basically telling me that the car was basically hard to find, so I’m not crazy. From what she told me, my model was too specific, price point was too low (dealers have no real reason to drop prices ATM) and the inventory for that specific model is very limited. But she told me to keep on looking because dealers literally get new inventory on a daily basis, they just sell out very quickly.

Feeling a bit better and that I wasn’t crazy, I looked around CarGurus again and found two models that weren’t there the day before. Called in and drove two hours each way to pick up the car. Apparently I also knew

I’m now the owner of a 2019 white Volkswagen Tiguan SEL Premium CPO. Car had 4K miles on it and I got it for 34k out the door. Car new would be 38k without the taxes and all that other poo poo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

What kind of modifications are you looking for?

Don’t know if there are any available, but easy quality of life stuff. I found a snap on cover for the weird little dish thing on the dash, so stuff doesn’t fly off when you’re driving.

On my GTI was able to install a small little compartment on the left side near the headlight buttons.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Brain Issues posted:

Install a JB4 piggyback tune instead of that boring stuff.

I haven't done any research, but I was thinking about getting a Stage 1 sometime in the distant future. I read on VWVortex that a Tiguan tune isn't out yet but in the works...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Coming from a GTI I'm used to using premium gas. But apparently my new car (2019 Tiguan) allows me to choose from regular (87 octane) or premium (91 octane). I assume that using the premium 'better' for the car's engine?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

RTFM is always the best advice, but a cursory look indicates the 7.5s called for 92.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm probably going to stick with the premium for piece of mind. I'm already used to getting lovely mileage cause of the GTI. It's basically the same mileage.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Got into it with a friend talking about this gas thing. I typically switch between Chevron or Costco gas depending on when I’m low. Friend is saying that Costco gas is inferior and I should stick with Chevron or Shell. Told this dude that I don’t even notice the difference between the three and that Costco is significantly cheaper like $3 vs $3.69. Who knew people were that passionate about gas?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Sportwagen was also a very underwhelming car to me. I wonder how well it sold considering they’re discontinuing the model. Are they keeping the Alltrack?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Strange things are happening to my car, wondering if someone might be able to give me some better insight to the issue.

I drive my 2019 Tiguan into work and I park it in the lot. During lunch time, I go to my car and eat.

During this time I will intermittently hear a thumping noise. It feels like someone is knocking on a door. It's coming from behind my driver's passengers seat, in the wheel well area, so the trunk area. The noise also moves to the middle rear of the trunk. I've checked the area a few times and it sounds almost exactly like me hitting the wheel well. The wheel well is covered in this weird felt like material.

Originally I assumed that it's just some sort of module settling down since I kinda activate the car by being in it. But the noise is loud and doesn't sound mechanical at all. It sounds like I'm hitting my fist against the wheel well felt material. I assumed it was a rodent in the car, but my mechanic says he wasn't able to find anything.

I'm still hearing this noise and it's a different pattern every time. Any ideas? I probably need an exorcism on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

There's probably something loose behind the wheel well smacking against it as you drive. Did you take it to the dealer? If it's under warranty, they have 3 chances to fix it before you can lemon law it (depending on state, etc) so if they continue to not find anything, they'll get a little more serious next time around. Take a video of the noise and show the mechanic.

This is also confusing since those descriptors are usually talking about left and right sides of the car rather than front/rear. But you mean the driver's side rear wheel well area, yeah?

This is after the car has been idle for about 4 hours. Didn’t bring it to a dealer, brought it over to my mechanic that I see all the time. The dealers in my area has lost a lot of talent over the years. Also yeah, driver’s side, rear wheel well. I’ll try and get a voice or video recording.

Styles Bitchley posted:

This sounds normal. Most likely some kind of normal cycle like a fuel system leak check.

I assume that it’s turning on and/or checking because I’m in the car, and I’ve probably activated something?