Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Got a 2006 GLI and love it. Few questions about it. How much would it be to take it in for routine maintenance at VW, next scheduled one is at 70k and just looking at cost. Since it is not under warranty I would assume it will be more. Also there is just one small part that was missing from it. At the top of the center console below the hazard button are the two AC ducts, one is missing the tab that allows you to move it up/down, left and right. Is there a place to get a new one of those, or will replacing the entire upper part of the console be my only option? Other then that everything is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

So the CEL came on in my '06 GLI while accelerating onto the highway (changed gear around 4-5k RPM). It is solid and the booklet says it is an issue with the exhaust system and that the MFD should tell me something about it, but the MFD isn't saying anything. How much of a chance this is it a turbo issue, perhaps the DV valve? The wastegate is still very audible and no strange noises/feel has occurred. This is a non-chipped GLI with 62k miles, serviced at 60k.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Dealer says the camshaft on my '06 GLI is worn and needs to be replaced. Also the fuel pump may be bad as well. $1700 w/fuel pump $1400 w/o, all not under warranty due to miles on the car (62000). So at least it wasn't the turbo, but should I be worried anything else could go wrong due to the cam shaft having been worn or is camshaft wear typical?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Got a fault code b2000. Can't find any reference for what it is other then body fault. Had the check gas cap icon go off a few times before even when it was fine. Just a bit paranoid after the cam shaft had to be replaced 6 months after i got the car. 06 gli in case that matters.

Alighieri fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 26, 2010

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

my1999gsr posted:

I believe that's for a fault regarding incorrect pressure at the fuel rail.

Could it possibly be linked to a bad fuel cap or is it usually a HPFP issue?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

On my 06 GLI I have been encountering an issue where the brake lights come on randomly after parking and turning it off. Seems to be about an hour after parking they come on. If I pump the brake they go off. If I try lifting up the brake pedal then release it the lights go on, then if I pump them once they turn off. Seems like this is a sensor issue.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Got a new issue with my 06 GLI. After driving back from work I put in park and was gathering up my things when the idle went from about 650rpm up to 1500rpm by itself, got out of the car and listened to it and it was indeed revving up to 1500 rpm from idle while in park. Is this something VW's are known to do every now and then? I know the engine I have sounds like it idles rough due to the high pressure injection.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

The MFD on my 06 GLI has been acting up lately. The compass stopped displaying, just a blank area at the top left, not dead pixels or anything, just shows the time on the top right and nothing on the left. Also of note the time driven just keeps going up and up, right now shows 22hours driven when it typically resets to 0 after sitting off for an hour or two.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Alighieri posted:

The MFD on my 06 GLI has been acting up lately. The compass stopped displaying, just a blank area at the top left, not dead pixels or anything, just shows the time on the top right and nothing on the left. Also of note the time driven just keeps going up and up, right now shows 22hours driven when it typically resets to 0 after sitting off for an hour or two.

Found the solution for anyone interested, disconnect battery for a few minutes, then reconnect. Fixed the issue and compass has been working just fine. Battery itself is fine so I am guessing this is just part of the legendarily reliable VW electronics.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Just got my 06 GLI back from the repair shop for the 100k miles maintenance as well as a complete intake cleaning after it was found to be full of buildup. It pulls a lot better now and seems to have more power due to cleaning the intake manifold and valves. Is there any recommended fuel additive that would help prevent the build up? I only put premium in as recommended by VW so not sure what other steps can be taken to prevent the build up.

Also the timing belt will need to be replaced soon. Was quoted about $800 for that from the shop I go to, is that about correct to what others have seen pricing wise?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Germany told VW to issue a mandatory recall on 2.4 million VW's. VW expands it to 8.5 million in Europe: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/business/international/volkswagen-germany-recall.html?_r=0

Earlier VW was trying to get away with a voluntary recall, but seems like Germany was having none of that.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Even if the defeat device/cold start is technically legal, they are not disputing the fact that the cars pollute over the legal limit after the time period expires.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

Ribsauce posted:

I looked through some of this thread and read about the emissions stuff, but I am curious what it means for non TDI cars. I drove a 2016Jetta SE with a 5 speed and really liked it. Should I still avoid it? Should I look for a used one whose price maybe dropped (my plan)? Or find an equivalent car from another manufacturer?

In my VW experience they are great when in warranty, but the day the warranty expires things will start breaking and nothing is cheap/easy to repair.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

When my VW was in for service, which was frequent, they would just give me a used car off the lot.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

E: and yes, if the test was so easy to cheat, I'm not in the least bit surprised they did. It's what corporations do, they find ways around the law then if and when they get caught, still end up usually ahead by paying the fines.

There's a difference between a loophole in a law and plain ignoring/circumventing a law illegally. A pretty large difference actually, one is legal, the other is not and thus makes you criminally liable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Brake pressure sensor code. Better replace the ECU.

Sound logic.

Co-Workers Infiniti land barge's auto folding mirrors failed. They replaced the actual transmission to fix that one. Under warranty at least.