Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

PhazonLink posted:

Hey final update/conclusion on my parents Jetta TDI problems. Insurance is paying for it and the dealership should be done fixing the car this week.

One last question. So will the car be fine in the future? One of the salesman at the dealer tried some song and dance about how they should trade in because this problem would lead to problems later on.

Seems like standard salesperson crap.

So this salesperson is telling them that he is going to willingly sell a car he knows will have problems later on? Sounds like a nice dealer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

dissss posted:

Diesels are pretty poo poo in small vehicles anyway - you only get very marginally better economy than a modern petrol engine.

They make a lot more sense in big executive cars and SUVs

This is not true.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=21892&id=21896&id=21894

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=35349&id=35354

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I think I'm finally done with my 2006 Jetta... I thought I had an exhaust rattle so I took it in to be looked at. Turns out the noise was coming from between the tranny and motor, so it's either the clutch or flywheel. They found a chunk of broken spring sitting on a part of the car just below the bellhousing. The car has 178,000 KM (~111,000 miles)... maybe that's not ridiculous for the clutch or flywheel to let go, but it's at an age where it's seriously nickeling and diming me. I just had to replace an axle 2 weeks ago.

What's the most reliable auto maker? I think I'm going to buy a lexus...

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Voltage posted:

A axle, clutch and flywheel can happen to a lot of cars - the clutch is basically a wear item like a big brake pad, and you should replace the flywheel at the same time. Be thankful its not electrical bullshit.

If you want dead reliable than yeah, Toyota/Lexus.

If only it was that the clutch was worn... Apparently a spring broke, and damaged the clutch and flywheel, so everything needs to be replaced.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

meatpimp posted:

But it's a 1.8T/2.0/VR6, so clutches and flywheels are available from dozens of places at dirt cheap prices.

Try and find a 2.0t flywheel for dirt cheap... they don't exist. Rockauto has by far the cheapest, it's $461 CDN. The exact same one is $1105 in Canada.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

meatpimp posted:

His car is a 2006, were the 2.0t motors out in 2006? If they were, I don't think they were in the US... :shrug:

Edit: can't be US... 2006 Jettas were A5 with the 2.5 motor on release...

It's a canadian 2006 Jetta 2.0T. It's a non-gli version, I think it was called "premium" or something like that.

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I've got on from my 2009 GTI's blown motor. It the TSI engine with a DSG that had 73.5k miles on it if that makes a difference. Would part with it for cheap.

I ordered parts on Thursday, thanks for the offer.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
Went to pick up my car after the clutch and flywheel were finished being replaced. Car sat outside in the cold for half a day, and when I went to start it, it misfired for about 10 seconds and died.

I'm guessing coil packs for the 1000th time...

Car didn't even let me finish paying for my last repair before failing me again. This is my last VW.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I hate myself so ended up buying another VW...

Found a 2012 Passat with under 20,000 miles on it for an awesome price. Feels a bit like an old man car... cuz I suppose that's what it is.

Did a bit of research on the 2.5 and it seems to be a pretty reliable motor. Anyone have experience with the 2.5?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

I've got a 2010 GTI Autobahn with 58k miles. I'll admit I kind of baby it, but it is my daily driver. Bought it for 17k back in 2012 (great deal). Carmax just offered me 11k. I should take that and run right? Edmunds and KBB are pricing it out at right around there PP.

Yes... yes you should. 60k miles is the perfect time to get out of it, and that sounds like a nice price.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

PabloBOOM posted:

Or should I squirrel away a few thousand more and just get a newer gti that isn't 8 years old...

Highly recommend this... my 2.0t Jetta reeeeally started nickel & diming me around your mileage.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
Just a reminder to check for recalls before ordering parts that break :doh:
I have a 2012 Passat. I started hearing a bit of clicking in my steering wheel... a few minutes later while driving and my airbag light came on. I figured out that it's the clockspring so I ordered one. Turns out there's a recall for this exact problem.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, that's not really true. They will spool quicker but choke up top.

Precisely, a tiny K03 chipped makes for diesel like torque down low.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

fknlo posted:

What generation? On the mk4 1.8t the lifespan of the coil packs was about 20 minutes.

If the 1.8t seemed like 20 minutes, the 2.0t seemed like 2 minutes... maybe it was just the BPY 2.0t I had in my jetta, but screw that thing. Never had issues in the 1.8t in my Audi A4.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

all VW oem jacks should go in the bin as soon as you buy the car

This is true... total widow makers.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

Hey thread, I haven't been a VW guy since my '64 beetle, but my wife just made it clear that the only car she wants to own is a Jetta.

Could someone help me understand what to look for in that model, what years are good/bad, and what pitfalls may befall that preference? MUCH appreciated.

EDIT: Deisel is not particularly desirable to us, and she drives automatic, if that matters. Visual preference seems to lean towards the A5 body type.

Not sure what the Mk5 2.5l motors were like, but I have a newer 2.5l motor in my Passat and would take it any day over the 2.0t I had in my mk5 jetta... seemed like I had constant issues with the 2.0t.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

willroc7 posted:

The newer turbo motors, both 1.8L and 2.0L are generally much better than the one in your mk5. The 2.5L is an old, old dog rear end motor. I'd recommend buying the newest Jetta you can afford, ideally a GLI.

edit: Although I guess the 2.5L is more reliable, maybe? At the expense of power and fuel economy.

I don't doubt the newer turbo motors are better, I only chimed in because he asked about the Mk5 generation which I had experience with... not good.
The 2.5 gets the same fuel mileage as my 2.0t did, and doesn't require premium fuel. It actually costs less to run. The 2.5 does makes less power as mentioned.

The reliability is not even comparable for me though, I would never recommend a 2.0t mk5.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

Reminds me of when I was younger and had my B5 A4. I would get a call every once in awhile from roommates who would get stuck in the winter to come tow them out.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006

rope kid posted:

The Mk. IV R32 vs. TT 3.2 was the perfect example of this. Less practical car in every way, marginally nicer interior trim... +$10k.
I miss the B5 and B6 S4s. I barely ever see either of them around. The Imola Yellow was a nice look.

Reminds me of my 99.5 A4... I sold it in 2007. The A4 came in "brilliant yellow"... I think the Imola is a bit of a nicer yellow, but honestly, the B5 platform A4/S4 is one of my favorite Audi designs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
I've been looking for an SUV and was dead set on getting a late model 3rd Gen RX350. Everyone seems to like them so much, and obviously they are reliable. Well, I test drove a 2015 low mileage one and absolutely hated it. It felt incredibly rough, the body had that kinda squeeking noise when going over bumps. The interior felt cheap, road noise was bad. I was flabbergasted... It was a trade in at a VW dealership, so decided to take an Atlas for a spin, and loved how it drove. My wife loved how huge it was inside. Found a different one that is the top model with R line trim package, no accidents, low mileage and absolutely love it.

Now, just to sneak one of these exhaust systems on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3hJf39plcM