Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

antimatter posted:

I'll be going to Shanghai China this Sept, and I have this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) "Kit" Lens 18-200 mm
3) 50mm prime
4) 4x CF waterproof case
5) 2x Canon Battery
6) Charger
7) Gitzo Tripod

Anyway I already have an alright camera bag that holds all of my gear with exception of the tripod. However its very bulky to carry around on trips and I'm concerned about in China.

Anyway I was hoping to see if there was a good tiny bag that I could use to mainly protect this following gear:

1) Canon 50D
2) Kit Lens 18-200 mm
3) 4x CF waterproof case
4) 2x or more Canon Battery

All of the rest such as the 50mm prime, charger, etc will probably be left behind or stored in a secondary bag at the hotel.

So in short I am looking for a bag that would mainly hold the spare batteries, spare CF cards, and the camera itself. I would like something very comfortable and not easy to be stolen/pocket/zipper picked.

I'll skip making fun of you for the 18-200 (:smugdog:) and recommend a Slingshot 100. I've got the 200 and it's by no means bulky, but the 100 should be even smaller. The single strap design isn't great if you've got a lot of heavy equipment, but it's very convenient for getting to your stuff quickly, and it's not super-conspicuous. They've also got a built-in rain cover that stores away, which I've found to be really useful.

For what you described, one of those basic holster-style cases might work for you too, but I personally don't care for them. Also, hardly any reason not to bring the 50mm with you, thing weighs nothing and doesn't take up a ton of space.

Reminded me, wanted to post some pics of my Slingshot 200 carrying a 4x5 outfit:

The easy accessiblity of the Slingshot's design is kind of a moot point with a 4x5 monorail setup like this, I just wanted something compact to carry it around in and used what I had on hand.

Here's the somewhat less portable Speed Graphic/Aero Ektar setup in my Tamrac Adventure 9. I thought it was big enough to swallow up anything, but it finally met its match with a Toyo 8x10 monorail. It's still a nice backpack for a weekend trip/carryon, and the mesh pockets on the outside are the perfect size to hold 3 regular 4x5 DDS holders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

McMadCow posted:

As a follow-up to my past last page, I got this:
http://www.amazon.com/Caselogic-TBC-305-Camcorder-Case-Black/dp/B001T0HXRS
yesterday and I'm pretty happy with it. I doubt I'll ever carry it around by itself, but I wanted to have something to throw in a bag or pack. It also had to offer more protection than the typical P&S case and have room to carry the camera with a lens attached, plus an additional lens.

Something as tiny as a rangefinder and lenses present a real interesting set of requirements for safe travel/storage.

This looks cool as hell, wish I could check it out IRL. I've got a smallish toploader that came with my Rebel I've been using for my RF/Sony NEX kit, but it's mostly vertical space and I have to stack lenses on top of each other, etc.

edit: Walmart has it in stock, may go have a look!

Photex posted:

It's been a week since i've ordered my Deviant Art bag, the tracking number stood dormant, I sent them two emails, one was bumped off saying it takes 3 - 5 days for an order to process even though the original order email says 1-3 this was the 2nd email i sent two days later:

It has been 5 business days and my order still has not been processed, either give me a legitimate update on my order or cancel it, FedEx Tracking says Estimated delivery date to be today but they haven't even received the item to ship it, and once again I state you charge exorbitant shipping cost for something that isn't processed and shipped in a timely manner, don't open an item shop if you can't deliver items in a timely fashion

I asked for an update or a refund. I get a one line reply

Thank you for contacting deviantART. As you do not wish to wait for your bag, I have cancelled and refunded your order.

Pretty lovely customer service...

I was getting caught up on this thread and saw your earlier posts and was interested to hear your impressions of the bag... haha, gently caress.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 20, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

In America they will shoot you, then take the bag regardless of what it looks like.

This happens to tourists all the time in the United States.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

At least it's not a billingham :science: Most bags are not weather proof but I have first hand experience that Crumpler and Tamrac (suspect Lowepro too) are weather resistant in heavy rain. Water won't seep in but does a good job of keeping the compartment relatively dry and safe because of it's thick padding.

I really like the built-in rain cover on my Slingshot 200. It did a terrific job, I spent two months in Southeast Asia during the monsoon season (riding on a motorcycle for most of the time, even) and it held up great.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the bag now though; while it does what it does well (great for short jaunts without too much gear in it, and as a carry-on), for an all-day bag with medium/heavy load it starts to really bother my shoulder. It's not reversible, so you can't switch it over to the other side to even out the strain. With my Tamrac backpack you can adjust the straps to the point when hiking around 10-20 pounds is no big deal, but it's big, not as convenient in the field, etc. I think I need to re-think my bag situation before too long here.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Even covering an event you still look like a dork. It's like the 21st century equivalent of the photo vest.

I am going to either prove this wrong or hilariously right when I am dual-wielding Graflex's on R-straps. (I just won a 4x5 Tele-Graflex last night!)

The R-strap is a surprisingly great fit for them: most models have an additional tripod mount on the side for portrait shots, which you can screw the Blackrapid strap into while still maintaining the bottom socket's quickrelease plate for tripod work. They otherwise don't really have a great provision for a shoulder strap of any kind from the factory. I wish I could go back in time to the 1920's and patent it.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

They market them as "inconspicuous". I don't know what effect that might have on potential thieves. My guess is somebody willing to lift a bag from a tourist is probably willing to lift any bag from a tourist.

That is a pretty correct guess. I lol at all the photo-dorks going to Southeast Asia and asking strategies to not look like a tourist. Newsflash, you're white, people will take you for a tourist anyways. Theft is more about opportunity than window-shopping for the camera-guyiest bag to knick.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know of a bag that's designed to only hold like a camera and 1-2 lenses, but is wide enough to fit a camera with a grip? All of the small bags seem to ignore anyone using a grip. I love my big huge leather manpurse bag for carrying to places where I need a full set of gear, but if I just want to go downtown and walk around, it's a big unnecessary and I'd like something like one of the little Domke bags except with a little more width so it will fit a grip. Does anyone know of any bags like that?

Dunno, Slingshot 100? The 200 fits my gripped 5D+24-70L + misc lenses okay at least.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

mindphlux posted:

goddamnit

my new 60D came with a 'free' lowepro slingshot 102AW.

I've never really even thought about camera bags - I had a lowepro nova mini that my parents bought me like 15 years ago when I first got a camera, and just have been using that. So the concept of a 'sling' bag (and one that holds a tripod, no less!) is really cool and somehow new to me.

so I'm digging the bag and like pretty much everything about it, but then I was thinking about actually using it while traveling or something as like a day pack, and I realized I'd just have to have my netbook with me. so out of curiosity I google 'slingshot hold netbook' and find their 'slingshot classified' thing, which basically looks pretty much the same, but can hold a netbook and is...

$120 MORE expensive than the 'free' $60 bag I got.

damnit :(

can anyone recommend a similar, cheaper bag? I just want it to hold a DSLR, maybe a flash, wallet and small poo poo, and then a small netbook.

I fit a 10" netbook in my Slingshot 200 by putting it in the camera compartment, on top of the padded dividers. Generally only did that when I was flying and using it as a carry-on though, I didn't like the added weight for walking around.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've brought my tripod in a carry-on before with no problem. Had to disassemble center column and take the feet off to get it to fit though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I would definitely not take the 70-200 f/2.8 hiking.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any camera straps that aren't ugly and utterly utilitarian? Like actually cleverly designed and dare I say "cool" looking camera straps?

http://www.artisanandartist.com/straps/index.htm

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/index.htm

http://www.blackrapid.com/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

hell yeah! thanks a lot man. Hopefully they'll be able to support my Pentax 67...

I can't speak for the Gordy since I've never used one, and I dunno if the A&A strap is meant for something so heavy, but the Blackrapid absolutely can. It's fine on on a 5x7 Graflex SLR :sweatdrop:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Just noticed this with my little TLR/spotmeter bag when I got home from a shoot today:

:pwn: by ethics_gradient, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HeyEng posted:

Just got a Black Rapids RS-7 strap with the BRAD attachment today. Haven't shot with it yet. I have worn it with a 5D MKII with a 70-200mm F2.8L USM and it feels extremely secure with good weight distribution. Thumbs up.

Yeah they are solid as hell. Have put a 5x7 SLR on my RS7, solid as a rock. Need to buy the quickrelease plate accessory though, they were out of stock when I got my RS7.

One of you needs to get this and tell me how much room it has for an NEX-3. :colbert:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I want to try this strap when it comes out. Looks like a comfier Blackrapid.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Is there a good bag out there for holding a view camera? Lowepro has a few but they're very expensive. Has anyone used one of these bags. I'm not averse to buying one, but for that price I want to know that they'll work.

You mean a monorail, right? f64 makes bags/backpacks designed for large format, but I think with a field camera (or really collapsible monorail) in mind. I've got an old Tamrac Adventure 9 that holds a pretty good amount of stuff in the main compartment, and the mesh pockets on the outside are perfect for 4x5 film holders too. I dunno how much your camera can fold up though, while it's pretty cavernous I definitely couldn't fit a Toyo 8x10 in the Tamrac :v:

With my Gowland, it's small enough to fit in my Slingshot 200 with all the accessories I need for a days shooting (sans tripod, which I carry over my shoulder in most cases), plus my NEX and RF lenses.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

My Filk Mp3s posted:

anyone have experience with one of these bags?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/731836-REG/National_Geographic_NG_A5270_NG_A5270_Africa_Series.html

I am always carrying:
- chamonix 4x5 (they're about the same size as a crown graphic is folded)
- smallish 135mm lens on toyo board, sometimes a bigger one as well like a 90mm
- 15 film holders
- really bulky Toyo darkcloth
- lovely manfrotto carbon compact tripod
- vivitar 285hv
- my meter

I can fit it all in the bag I currently use but it looks like it's going to burst open at any minute a lot of the time and nearly impossible to close. I'm also going to be using a leica for a few months soon so its got to be able to hold that plus three lenses and at least 20 rolls of 35 at the same time. Possible??????

Not a bag recommendation, but get some Grafmatics or Mido holders or something. 15 DDS holders, yikes!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

Do straps exist that can make a Hassie 500c/m a walk around camera?

I baby it so much and shove it back into my bag after every shot, currently, but now the weather is nice I want to do a bit more street/wandering with it and without my bag.

I have a Blackrapid RS-7 and an OP/TECH neck strap. They're both really nice and make the Hassie comfortable to wear around one's neck for extended periods of time, although I go back and forth on which one I like better (for now I have the OP/TECH on because I just got it). If you're going to be in Tokyo for Group A orientation, I'll make sure the RS-7 doesn't go in the bag I'm forwarding to Karatsu so you can have a look.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I've heard good things about the Optech strap but personally I'm using the Artist & Artisan Hassy strap which I really like. I just hang it around my neck and it rests around midchest level, lens pointing down, which is perfect to just turn it straight up, pop out the WLF and start composing. It's not as comfortable as the wide padding on the Optech but it's pretty decent still.

Yeah, I really like the quality and styling of the A&A straps, but I had one for my Bessa and it was not very comfortable, so I bought an OP/TECH for $12 and liked that a lot better. The Hassie one is also very good.

I keep pimping the Blackrapid for everything, but I really do like it. It can hold up a large format camera no problem (like my 5x7 Auto Graflex, basically the biggest possible camera to handhold), is easy to switch between cameras because of the tripod-socket connection, and the ergonomics are great. Mine has migrated between my 5D, Speed Graphic, Graflex SLR, Mamiya C330 (sold), Kiev 60 (selling) and now Hasselblad. They were out of stock of the quick release shoe pass-through when I ordered mine, I've really got to get one of those for maximum convenience.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What's everyone's setup for a weekend trip? Any decent all-in-one's, or do you carry cameras and clothing/etc separately? I used to have a Tamrac Adventure 9 (had to leave it when I moved) that worked well for weekends, but it sucked for getting through crowds, and my equipment setup has changed a lot since then.

I've currently got a Slingshot 200 that works really well for the NEX kit + a Hasselblad (or can cram a 4x5 setup in, sans tripod), but it doesn't have enough room to fit extras like clothes, and the top compartment is even too small for a lot of books. I'm also leaning towards moving away from it, because while I like the ergonomics of accessing my gear, it kinda fucks up my back if I've got it fully loaded and am walking around with it for hours, and I can't really change it to the other shoulder.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So I recently picked up an APEX Military Series (lol) bag for about $100 for weekend trips, which appears to be a somewhat obscure Japanese brand. I went through just about every non-sling bag at Yodobashi Camera in Fukuoka before I narrowed the field down to that and an f/64 BPL, which cost twice as much, and I could find literally no information on outside of a few Japanese sites (JDM only? :iiam:) I think I'm going to have to pick up the BPL too though; it holds a shitload of camera gear, plus pretty good room for clothes/etc and even a full-sized laptop. I think if I didn't max out the camera compartment, I could probably pack it for a week of traveling. It does stick off your back a bit so would suck for getting through crowds, but I think it's worth the trade off. I'm going back to Fukuoka on Saturday and I think I'll pick it up, anyone interested in pictures/a review?

I also found two really cool bags there I'd get if I was looking for standalone solutions for my Hasselblad and NEX kits:

Hassie: Manfrotto Bella V

NEX: Lowepro Streamline 100 - I'm going to buy the gently caress out of this online and get it put in my next Package 'o Stuff from the USA (and save 40%), it's awesome for an NEX or m4/3 kit.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

tarepanda posted:

You can find most of the common US bags on rakuten too, if you're curious.

Yeah, everything seems to be online, although bags are one of the few things I really need to buy from a brick and mortar store. I'd just order the BPL on Amazon and save myself a whopping 500 yen over Yodobashi's price, but I'm planning to be in Fukuoka on Saturday anyways.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 27, 2011

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Pureone posted:

I'm going backpacking over southeast asia for a couple months and need a bag suggestion.

I'm only going to be bringing one bag with me, so ideally it would be able to fit a fair amount of clothes, and toiletries, all the while keeping my T3i and Macbook Pro (13") safe. I guess this means that I will need a separate area in it for a laptop and camera. I was just gifted the camera, so I will only be bringing the 18-55mm lens that it came with.

The most important thing is comfort. I will be lugging this all over the countries I will be visiting. Unfortunately, it has to be under 100 dollars as well.

Is there anything out there that is worth checking out?

I've been checking this Kata bag out: http://www.amazon.com/Kata-DR-466i-Digital-Rucksack-Black/dp/B0035XXNJY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_npd?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2R8AE4AEY20DO&colid=1H86ISI0A07LQ

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you need it for work or some serious video editing on the road, bringing a MBP is a terrible idea for backpacking in SEA. It's heavy, pricey, and I assume your primary computer. Do you really want to risk anything happening to it? Pick up a cheap netbook used on Craigslist and bring that, if you're going to bring a computer at all. Personally I like traveling with a lightweight computer (I use it for holding photos, but also journaling since I'm a much faster typist than handwriter), but you can easily do without it; internet cafes are ubiquitous in SEA and will burn your memory card to a DVD for a nominal fee.

Also you should probably bring two bags; one main that usually gets left in the guesthouse room during the day, and one smaller daypack (that you can fit the DSLR in, as well as a book, hat, phrasebook, bottle of water, etc). Most people stuff the little one into the big one when moving from place to place. Really, unless you're doing trekking there's not a great need to splash out on a pricey backpack; unless you're super-stingy, you don't actually do a ton of walking around with your main backpack in most cases (most go from bus station/train station/jetty to guesthouse by taxi/tuktuk/whatever, as the main backpacker haunts usually aren't near the transportation hubs).

I don't necessarily recommend them, but I've been using a military surplus dufflebag for years, which has terrible ergonomics, and it's only caused me discomfort once or twice because it's so seldom on my back for more than a few minutes at a time. It's also dirt cheap, holds a shitload of stuff, is tough as nails, and doesn't scream "WELL-HEELED FOREIGN TOURIST" when it's riding in the luggage compartment of a bus. Not for everybody, but I took one my first time backpacking and it was fine, so kept it up.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Anyone have experience with F-Stop bags, particularly the Stowe and large ICU? I'm looking for a camera bag to hold my Pentax 67 and lenses that'll fit inside a large backpacking pack, and be usable separately.

I have one, it's very well-made.

edit: poo poo nevermind, I meant f64.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

harperdc posted:

Any other recommended strap brands? Really just looking for a more comfortable replacement for the standard Canon strap. It's not really been an issue but thinking about getting another strap in the future if its a big difference.

At least for now I've got my little Crumpler $5 Million Home...which I found in a used shop for :tenbux: Color me shocked! A touch small sometimes but that's if I'm trying to fit body, two lenses, and my wallet/etc all in.

I've been really happy with my Blackrapid strap, from everything from large format cameras down to a Lomo LC-A (just kept it around my shoulder while I was out on the motorbike, made it convenient to take landscapes without having to take off my gloves/fiddle with a pack). Really ought to get around to buying the tripod shoe passthrough thing, it'll probably live on my Hasselblad once I do.

I've got an OP/TECH strap on the Hassie right now that I really like, it's very cushy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Amazon's got Pelican cases as their deal today.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Danoss posted:

I recently ordered the F-Stop Brooklyn Sling, which is available as a product preview version here. It arrived in the post this morning, so I haven't had the opportunity to actually use it. I have looked it over, tested the fit and tried the different features.

Their attention to detail is impressive and it's a shame the site doesn't show these off, but it is a product preview so I can only assume they're looking for feedback. There were previous iterations of this bag and others in the same line, so at least there is some info to be gleaned from what reviews and images are still floating around. It seems (from what I can gather) the improvements they've made, while small, make it a worthwhile revision. .

Since there's not a lot of info out there on this particular pack, I thought I'd take a few quick images and share them here. Perhaps they'll be of use to you or someone else. A 1min promo video showing the previous version can be found here, which may better demonstrate some things that the below images don't

It's plainish looking, without being ugly (though it's available in blue if this one isn't your cup of tea), so it works as a regular pack and a stealth camera pack, which seems to be the direction a lot of this type of kit has taken. Note the looped strap at the bottom right. I was puzzled by its presence until I put the pack on. It gives you something to pull on and sling the pack around—something I haven't seen on other sling bags.

The outer facing pocket can hold enough of the smaller items. Wallet here for reference, though this definitely wasn't the best way to show it.

Side zipper pocket, on the outside of the access to the bags contents. Nexus 5 for reference.

Inner facing zipper pocket, designed for up to 10" tablets. Nexus 7 for reference.

Strap zipper pocket with a little space behind it for whatever. State transit card (same size as a credit card) for reference.

At the bottom of the main strap adjuster, you'll see there's a larger surface area to hit for quick adjustments. It's easy to loosen the strap if you want to sling the pack around to access it without it being high up on your chest, and then retighten it once it's on your back again. This won't happen unless you want it to, of course.

Off the main strap, there is an additional strap to prevent unwanted movement. This strap is removable and can be reoriented with the fastener in the reverse position. Great for cycling.

Lastly, the inside of the pack with things I had at hand. From left to right theres a 600mL water bottle, X-T1 and 18mm lens with hood attached, Instax printer with extra film pack, and it's a bit dark but I threw an S95 with a pouch in the last spot. What this doesn't show is that there is room to spare on top of and beside these items (they're not packed tightly), and there should be as it was designed to accommodate a DSLR and two lenses. The whole padded insert can be removed so it can be a regular bag too.

You won't be carrying a bunch of stuff in this bag, but it seems ideal for travelling relatively light. If you're carrying more than this bag is capable of, a backpack would be a better choice to get the weight off one shoulder and onto two (or onto your hips with the better designed backpacks, which won't strain your back).

That's a pretty cool write up, thanks! And map props on the Instax printer, I used to carry around a Dell Wasabi and USB print (using the "direct print" function on my 5D that Dpreview loved to lambast), people loved it. The Wasabi was kind of a POS though, I definitely need to look into newer, non-crappier options.

Not sure if it was just for scale or if you usually carry a water bottle inside your bag, but it's something I try to stay away from if I possibly can.

I just ordered a Thule 25L backpack, which is definitely not a dedicated photo bag (I'm going back to grad school and need something for textbooks/laptop/other odds and ends when I'm out and about). I did want to carry a beater mirrorless rig with me though, so I'm hoping that the padded sunglasses/electronics compartment at the top will accommodate my NEX-5 and 35 1.8. Will post a report when it arrives later this week!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spog posted:

Any recommendations for belt cases that are sleek and compact?

I want something to sit on a belt and stick out as little as possible.

Looking for something to hold my RX-100 and also something for a GH3+20mm lens.

This one even comes with an integrated belt!

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Basically I need opinions from anyone who has a backpack they like that holds a laptop and large, heavy cameras.

Also, and semi-related, what're some good straps for holding my Pentax 67 (which weighs about five pounds with lens) comfortably? I just bought strap lugs for it, but I'm not sure the old Optech I found in a box is going to work out.

Older post and not directly related to bag selection per-se, but depending on your level of fitness, get a bicycle with a good luggage rack and strap your load to that. My back is not great, and it doesn't take much to exacerbate it, so being able to offload that onto a bicycle's frame helps considerably. If the hills are too much to pedal on your own, look into an electric assist. My landlord is in his 50's with a bad knee and he copes just fine in a pretty hilly city with his.

Heavy duty strap: Blackrapid is way overengineered, I have used it on MF and even LF cameras no problem, definitely recommend. If you were going to be shooting on a tripod (not the worst idea with a P67), you can get a passthrough adapter thing for it.

• Locked thread