Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The stitching is pretty thick. I imagine if you have skill with that kind of thing it'd be easy to remove. I can't say for certain though. I plan to put some kind of iron on patch over mine.

Also, how do you get the camera to stay on your shoulder? I use the strap that came with my camera (T5i) and it constantly feels like it's slipping off.

across your body if you can. If your strap can't do it then you can get one with a spongy/sticky/rubbery surface, or get a Blackrapid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey all, any suggestion for holders for lenses? I have a decent bag in that with the extra battery attachment fits in the small bag in the bag, but now I am struggling for a solution to hold my actual lenses inside the bag.

I... what? :confused: So do you have a small bag/pouch to hold just your camera (I assume with one lens attached) and need to carry more? Or are you talking like a sort of holster like this: http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-pro-75-aw-ii

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Aaahhh OK. There are various bag inserts you can get that are normally for regular bags/backpacks that should be on the smaller end to hold just a couple lenses. Basically you're just buying the padding instead of the entire bag.

Here's an example

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

I need a recommendation for a backpack.

I'd like it to fit a Pentax 67 and maybe two lenses, the 105 mm and 55 mm, preferably with either lens attached to the camera. And I'd like to be able to attach a tripod to the backpack as well.

I currently have a shoulder bag that fit the camera + lenses but I hate carrying the tripod around in my hand, and the shoulder bag gets plenty uncomfortable very quickly.

A number of Lowepro's backpacks have tripod holders along the side or bottom these days. I have the Hatchback 22L which does not have a specific tripod strap along the side but will hold a gorillapod in the side waterbottle pocket just fine. I have the Sport 200 as well and that will carry one along the bottom.

E: Both have a lot of room for non-camera gear as well. Plenty of room for water bottles (the SPort 200 has a space for a Camelback bladder too), rolled up jackets, batteries, food, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

I don't think I would trust a gorillapod for the 67 and the "Sport"-line seems kind of cramped in the camera compartment. However, Lowepros "bagfinder" tells me that a Flipside 500 AW might fit so I'm going to check that out a bit closer.

If you live close to a good camera store or a Best Buy, you may get to see one in person. Most stores like that usually have a ton of Lowepro bags.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MadlabsRobot posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to bring all the stuff I want to fit to the store and try out bags until I find something that works.

That's your best bet. Every store out there should let you drop your stuff in them to see how it fits.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thinktank makes great stuff, you should love it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You can find pads like those for mail carriers on the cheap as well sometimes. They're awesome.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

404notfound posted:

What's the best way to carry a camera on a sling strap and bring along a few lenses, without looking like a complete goober with a fanny pack or something?

I've tried sling strap + messenger bag but shuffling the straps around can get a bit messy sometimes.

Depends a bit on the sizes of the lenses, but I've usually found a backpack or sling bag best for keeping things out of the way. A backpack isn't going to flop around or move much, and most sling bags these days are very stable as well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Put the lenses in your rear end.

Mods new thread title pls

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

frogbs posted:

Does anyone know where I can get some of these triangular split rings? I actually only need one, I lost one that came with a used X100T I bought. I know that Hama made some, but B&H says they are no longer available...

HPL's suggestion is good, and you might also poke around some local art supply and crafting stores.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Graniteman posted:

I've got a crumpler 5 MDH that is just a little too small. I want a bag to carry my generic walking-tour kit:
full frame with standard zoom attached (5D with 24-105)
big rear end 70-200 (70-200 /2.8 IS II)

I can BARELY fit them both in the 5 MDH now but the top flap barely closes. I'd like something that will fit both, but not much more than that to keep the bag small. I prefer a messenger bag but a small backpack would be OK too. Any recommendations?

Maybe I'm being overly simple but why not a 6 or 7 MDH instead?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anyone have any of Tenba's shootout backpacks? Looking for some backpacks that could hold my digital and film bodies if I wanted to a "haul everything" trip.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Cool, thanks :cheers:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So I finally got a Pelican case on a lightning deal and holy poo poo I see why people willingly pay a premium for these things, it's drat near bulletproof :stare:

I also grabbed the Tenba 24L and this should be a great way to haul both my mirrorless and film setups. Built really well and pretty comfortable even when loaded up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lowepro Photo Sport is more gear capacity than lens capacity as well.

And yeah, Domke bags have a bunch of velcro walls you can customize.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

powderific posted:

For just two lenses and a body I'd seriously consider just getting a padded insert and using a regular hiking backpack.

This is also a very good point.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

That looks nice but I was kind of thinking of getting one that attached via the tripod mount. Is that a good idea?

I have the blackrapid cross shot for my mirrorless and love it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I just got the Tenba DNA 15 to replace my ThinkTank, which was getting beat all to hell (through no fault of its own. That bag was awesome, I just beat the absolute poo poo out of it). So far I really like it. The shoulder pad moves far smoother along the kinda seatbelt material strap, and I forgot how much I missed having a zipper along the top of the main flap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

Thanks; I'll be looking into these. The Pelican 1504 looks attractive for it's protective qualities, though the Flipside Sport would make it easier to lug stuff around outdoors. I'm anticipating some decent hikes with climbing gear in tow along with the camera, so I'll have my work cut out for me no matter what I go with.

Pelican cases are today Amazon's deal of the day, by the way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I finally took the time last week to set up my pelican case to my liking. Oh my god these things are so worth the money. They're drat near bombproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Am I reading right that that's the 1550 size?

It's the 1560, so it's too big for airline carry-on, (it does have a slide-out handle and wheels) but honestly I'd trust this to protect my stuff if I checked it.

• Locked thread