Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Not sure if anyone is also looking for this kind of bag, but I wanted something that was waterproof (for kayaking) and also ok to take along hiking. I found the Lowepro Dryzone, and I'd recommend the same to anyone else who's after similar features.

There are two linings in this bag, one made from what feels like a rubber material that is sealed with a waterproof zipper system. I'm pretty sure this would safely protect your gear from rain and/or a dunk in the lake.

It also has a monopod/tripod holder on the back which I found strangely lacking from a lot of "hiking" packs.

The downside is the thing weights a fair bit. I wore it, full of gear, for a full day though and didn't have any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

I've moved to San Francisco and am doing a lot of walking. My walk to class is up and down both Russian and Nob Hills. After a couple days of walking, I discovered that if I continue to use my Timbuk2 messenger bag, my spine will collapse into a ruined heap.

I've resorted to stuffing the messenger bag into an old MEI internal frame pack. Not only is this a pain in the rear end, but it makes me look like a hobo.

I'm looking for a backpack that can hold my laptop (a 14" thinkpad), some miscellaneous other stuff (water bottle), a tripod, and (in a pinch) my Olympus 35mm SLR and lenses (tiny) and my Pentax 67 with handle (large).

I'm looking for something with a padded hip belt, if not a full suspension, as I'm going to be doing a lot of walking. I'd prefer something that costs $250 or under.

Currently I'm looking at Tamrac's Anvil packs, Lowepro's packs, and a Paxis pack. If there are any other good integrated packs I should be looking at, I'd love to hear about them. A lifetime warranty is a bonus.

The other option is getting something like an Osprey Anti Gravity backpack (apparently they've got AG daypacks coming out soon) or a Photobackpacker pack and putting a DSLR divider system in it. I tried an AG pack at REI the other day, and it was as comfortable as everyone who reviews them says it was.

Basically I need opinions from anyone who has a backpack they like that holds a laptop and large, heavy cameras.

Also, and semi-related, what're some good straps for holding my Pentax 67 (which weighs about five pounds with lens) comfortably? I just bought strap lugs for it, but I'm not sure the old Optech I found in a box is going to work out.
You should check out the Gura Gear bags as well (Bataflae model): http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/

I'm using the 32L and just bought a second for my wife because they are awesome for hiking. I put in a 3L water bladder and about 10 pounds of gear and it takes the weight really well.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

That looks great but it costs $429.99 :stonkhat:
The 32L fits my 600mm so I'm not sure you need a big bag like that. I'm not sure how much the smaller versions cost but hopefully not that much.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was considering the Cotton Carrier one, but not sure the one listed on Amazon for a cheap price has everything you need to attach it to the camera (this one which has an Arca Swiss plate instead of the 'camera hub' one which sells for more than 2x the amount. I don't have a proper tripod yet mind). Is this fine, or do I need the more expensive one?
This is what I use and I absolutely love it. I use back button focus and also have girlish small hands and find it a perfect fit.

I bought the strapshot kit: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-strapshot-p/233ev1.htm

This comes with the hand strap as well, but also has an attachment for my backpack so that I can hang the camera on the strap as well. I wish I had a picture of this because it's not easy to describe.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

Out of curiosity, what camera do you own? The strap came this morning and I've spent some time trying to get it setup to suit me best but it's taken some time. In the end I've mounted it so the part that meets the bottom of the camera is angled forwards a bit, and then I adjust my hand in the strap (made as tight as possible and not used the keychain bit they provided) differently for carrying and shooting. I find when I've got thumb on back button and index on shutter, I instinctively rest the camera slightly in the area just below my pinkie and it was hard to shift my hand like this in any other setup as the strap would get in the way. I'm intrigued as to how different this would be on a full frame or camera with a battery grip setup, as my Nikon D7200 is a DX camera that's pretty small.

Looking forward to going out and trying it for real though. No more stupid neck strap getting in the way, or having to wrap around hand to try and mimic the same effect.
I have my hand strap on a 1DX. With my thumb on the back button and index on the shutter the strap lies perfectly against the outside of my hand in a snug fit. When I go hiking I usually have a 1DX + 300mm 2/8 + TC (~12 pounds maybe) in my hand and the hand strap takes all the weight quite nicely.

Dread Head posted:

Do you swiss arca plates? How do these work with those? I have a friend who loves his but does not really use a tripod where I use a tripod a lot.
Yeah, I have the following adaptor on the body: http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/Cotton-Carrier-UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-PLATE-p/766nhp.htm

It's a swiss arca plate with the carrier attachment in-one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ryand-Smith posted:

Hey all. I'm planning a flight to Canada, and I just realized, my Amazon Basics bag (love it, its traveled across the eastern seaboard and across mountains), may not be able to travel with me as a carry on bag. Any suggestions for a good carry on bag that can fit 2 DSLRs, 2 flashes, and support equipment (chargers, batteries, et all)
I'm not familiar with the Amazon bag, but a quick search gave me the following dimensions: Outer dimensions: 11.5 x 7.2 x 15.6 inches

My wife and I have travelled all over the world (lots of Canada->US included) with two bags much bigger (14.2 x 9.1 x 20.9) dimensions without ever having to check our bags.

[edit]

quote:

Air Canada is a bunch of assholes about carry on weight though. I don't think I would try to haul that much on that carrier. Most U.S. carriers don't check or care about my 40-50lb camera bag.
Air Canada are indeed assholes, but so far I've never been checked for weight. This is a good thing because my pack weighs ~40 pounds.

InternetJunky fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 8, 2016

• Locked thread