Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

That only works with lenses with tripod collars. That plus I trust the tripod collar even less than I trust the tripod mount on the bottom of the camera seeing as the tripod collar can come off with one twist of a knob. I'm going to try paracord on the battery grip strap mount or something similar. I'm not too bent up about the FR-3. It's not that it's getting in my way, it's just the fact that I'd like to leave the tripod mount free.

I tried, and didn't like the R-Strap. What I do now is use the soft, spongy Opteka strap, but with both ends fastened to the right side of the camera. It hangs down, with the grip hanging at my right hand, which rests on the grip where I will hold the camera. Easy to bring up to shoot, stable, and both tripod mount and, where necessary, tripod ring, free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bongodrums posted:

I got that email a few hrs ago too!
I looked on the TT website and it still says it's coming soon... Are you in Canada or USA? I guess I'm going to have to order though TT since the retailers here don't carry them and if they do, they have crazy markups.

I went to Adorama and ordered it, but it's not yet in stock as a new item, so I'll get it when available. I was torn between that and the 20, which could hold the camera plus 70-200 on camera, but I rarely need that in the bag.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

KickStand posted:

For those of you with Think Tank retrospective bags what does the material feel like?

I like my Crumpler 7Mill but the material is a bit stiff i guess is the word, is the retrospective soft to the touch?

Soft? No. Flexible, but still a bit stiff, and rough. Excellent, by the way.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

hahaha that's awesome. Are those big velcro panels in the 2nd shot the only way the flap holds shut, and can you block them to keep sound down?

The flap isn't secured any other way, but it stays closed very well without the velcro. There's a cover for it so the velcro doesn't attach for quieter use. I have mine covered and the flap has never come open by accident.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

Can you show how a camera with a 70-200 mounted fits in the Retrospective 10? I'm torn between the 10 and the 20 right now and lack of local merchandise to handle isn't helping.

Not right now. Wife has the point and shoot with her.

I rarely leave the 70-200 (mine is the 2.8 non-IS) on, though. It fits ok, though. A bit bulgy at the top.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Does anyone know if a 7D with a grip will fit in a Retrospective 10 comfortably?

I have a 5dii w/grip, and it fits snugly in my Retrospective 10.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

D90, 30/1.4, sometimes a 85/1.8, in a Small Twoten Daily Crumpler.

Similar to me. 5dii, 85 1.8, 24mm 1.8. Sometimes I'll just take the 24-105 f/4L, but mostly those two.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Sevn posted:

That is the bag I have had my eye on for months. I am going back to America in 1 week and I plan on finding a bag then. The only criteria I have is; low-key, able to fit a gripped D7000, and able to hold either pen+paper, or my iPad.

Having an R strap is nice when I just want to walk around, but I ride trains and buses a lot here, so I would like to carry a little something extra, when I can't use my camera. Not to mention it is nice to have a notebook where I can keep all of my photography notes.

It is also nice to carry a notebook (paper, not electronic) because all of the tourist spots here have unique stamps, so you can stamp your notebook when you visit certain places. Every city has a special stamp at 7-11 also.

Retrospective 10. I carry a 5DII, gripped, with 24-105 on it, and one or two lenses (or a lens and a flash), plus my kindle/kindle fire.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Remo posted:

I also find it much easier to pack my D700 + grip separately from my lenses. Its just too bulky and unwieldy with a lens on. Its a minor hassle to assemble and disassemble the lens when packing/unpacking.

Yes and no. If it were just for traveling, I'd not care. However, since this is also my bag I carry to go shoot, having to remove the lens is a non-starter. A, don't want to do that in the field, and B) don't want to have to add lens each time I want to stop and shoot.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is it crazy that I'm considering the Billingham 307? I travel a lot, and my retrospective 10 is a bit cramped.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

There's a reason you never see actual photogs carrying Billingham bags. It's not that their bad, but you're going to get tired of carrying 3+ pounds of bag on top of whatever you put in there. And that's on top of the :lol: price.

Yeah, the price said, "think about this" and the weight said, "is this even really a practical travel bag."

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

torgeaux posted:

Yeah, the price said, "think about this" and the weight said, "is this even really a practical travel bag."

And having scads of disposable cash won the day. Billingham 307. And it is so well balanced it's phenomenal'. Holds a lot looks good and easy to access. First overseas trip Monday, so we'll see how well it travels.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I currently have several lenses in a pile on my bedroom floor. That's probably safe.

I have most of my lighting gear in one of these:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/522969-REG/Photoflex_FV_SLBAG2KIT_Transpac_Dual_Kit_Case.html

It won't hold my ringflash though because it's not wide enough. If you ever want a travel bag for gear that will hold a ton of poo poo and not be as crazy expensive as Pelican stuff, I highly recommend it.

Also anyone looking at a Billingham bag just buy an Ona instead. It's about half the price, doesn't look like an overnight bag for men over 50, and it's durable as hell. I have absolutely beaten the poo poo out of mine for over a year (I take it EVERYWHERE, including on hikes, mountain climbing, to work every day, etc) and it hasn't begun to fray or fall apart at all. If Indiana Jones has a camera, he would totally use this bag.

The only part of it that sucks is you basically have to choose between a gripped body or always taking your lenses off before putting them in the bag. I chose the gripped body.

i carry my gripped 5diii with 24-105 plus hood in my billingham, no problem.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My billingham bag looks good, carries a lot, and is drat easy to carry. It's really efficient in it's use of space, too. So far, I've got not a single bad thing to say about it. I suspect I hear ignorance talking.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

evil_bunnY posted:

Post of pic with your gripped/ungripped 5d in it?

Sure. give me an hour or so.

edit: This was my packout to Cuba this trip. 5DIII w/24-105 (hood on, and out); Sigma 630 DG Flash; Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; 100-400L. Passport, travel docs, Nexus 7 in back slip, memory cards, cables in front pouches. Phone, blackberry in front pouch. For travel, you would put the flap top on, and secure (not a fast access this way). For fast access as a carry bag, flap stays down, keep it zipped. It has a second set of handles inside the flap, so if you do this you can still carry it that way.

I normally carry the body/lens with the body down for travel, body up for shooting.

Edit: Added some notes to final shot.

2012-08-25_18-37-29_2 by torgeaux, on Flickr

2012-08-25_18-36-47_228 by torgeaux, on Flickr

Billingham 307 by torgeaux, on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 25, 2012

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

the_lion posted:

I'd love something that would hold two light stands and other light gear that has wheels -I have a couple of your standard "big rear end eBay light gear bags" but hauling these with no car is a bitch.

I'm guessing this will be expensive. Any suggestions?

Golf travel cases. Right size, soft or hard, your choice.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

If that's all you're carrying, try a shoulder bag like the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. It'll allow the fastest access to your gear and it's easier to maneuver through crowds with.

Agree. Any of the small Domke bags work, also. Shoulder bags are much better than slings, for me.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jimlad posted:

Why's that? I'm curious because I currently use a small Sony shoulder bag with a relatively tiny amount of weight in it (a7r + lens), but after a full day out and about I start to get a dull ache in my shoulder. I love the quick access and small size though, so I've recently bought a small sling that I'm hoping will be more comfy which I'm waiting for in the mail.

When I'm actively using the bag, that is, camera in and out, I carry it on one shoulder, but swap it around. When carrying for long term, not removing frequently, it can go over neck like a purse held against snatching. No real strain. Had my retrospective 10 with gripped 5Diii and 70-200 2.8 with me at Denver zoo today for four hours, no problem.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

I would not recommend the Retrospective series because if you disable the Velcro, there's nothing else to keep the flap closed. With a bag like the Crumpler 5 Million (which I use with an A7S plus 3 or 4 extra lenses), you can disable the Velcro and still have buckles.

For normal carry, my Velcro is completely concealed and the flap is so large, it is never an issue. When traveling, car/plane, I expose a small bit on one side so if the bag turns over, nothing comes out. When the Velcro is covered, I've never had the flap expose the contents at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Billingham 307 w/gear. by B. B., on Flickr

• Locked thread