Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

How stupid is my current plan to stash my two smaller lenses (Pentax DA 18-55 and FA 35-80) in one belt-attachable lens bag, end-to-end? I like keeping my telephoto zoom on the body in the holster, and I'd like to have my other lenses reasonably accessible. Am I going to destroy my lenses this way?

I store lenses like that all the time. My 20mm prime fits right into to 50mm lens hood and same with my 28mm and 85mm, just not as neatly. I have never had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

MAkev posted:

I just got an email from ThinkTank saying that the Retrospective 10 is now in stock. The site still lists it as "Coming Soon" but hopefully this means they'll be available in the next couple days.

I'm torn between the Retrospective 20 & 30. The 30 looks like exactly what I want, but that example photo of the travel photographer wearing the 20 makes it look big enough for my needs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I just ordered a Retrospective 20 through Think Tank's website. Will provide trip report if I end up being the first one to lay hands on one.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Okay, my Think Tank Retrospective 20 came in the mail today. So far I like it. It is taller than it looks on the website and with the padded inserts in it is a bit bulky. Maybe it's just because I have never owned a "real" camera bag before but I am amazed at all the little pockets inside.

The main pocket movable dividers. Mine is currently split into thirds. One part Hassie 500cm with back and 80mm, one part D700 and one part 4 Nikkor primes. I slid my light meter into a small inside pocket too. There is alot of room left over. I could certainly stack more lenses and/or another DSLR in there.

I will try to grab some photos of it tomorrow. This bag will definitely replace my current multisystem carrying system ( bag with tamarac lens cases clipped to it). The strapi is wide, well padded and comfortable. I suppose the true test will be flying with it this fall when I go to visit my family.

edit: Now with photos.

Here is the front view with a beer for size reference.

The side view.

The main pocket. Still plenty of room in there too.

Here's all the stuff I managed to fit into the main pocket.

Small zipper pocket on the back on the main pocket for small stuff.

These all fit in the organizer pocket in the front of the main pocket. There is a little lanyard to clip my Pixel Pocket Rocket to.

The front bellows pocket. Currently only has some 120 in it.

There is a large zipper pocket on the back that easily fits my large moleskine.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 19, 2010

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Bongodrums posted:

Vancouver B.C, I know we have many camera retailers such as Broadway, Karrisdale, Lens and shutter, but NONE of them carry the Thinktank line!

Well it's a bit of a haul from BC but Glazer's in Seattle carries Think Tank bags.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

KickStand posted:

For those of you with Think Tank retrospective bags what does the material feel like?

I like my Crumpler 7Mill but the material is a bit stiff i guess is the word, is the retrospective soft to the touch?

It's thick roughish canvas. It's fairly flexible.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Maverique posted:

Did anyone get a Retrospective 30 yet? I'm considering getting it to carry around a dSLR and a film SLR with respective lenses. How many lenses do you think it can hold? How's the padding on it? The reviews I've read make it sound like a pretty drat good camera bag, sturdy and inconspicuous.

I've seen one at my local store its a bigger version of the Retrospective 20. These bags dont have a ton of padding but they sure do hold alot. My 20 comfortably holds a gripped D700, five lenses and a flash with room to spare.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I finally broke down and bought a R strap. First thing I did when getting home was clip it to the tripod plate on my Hasselblad. Tremble before the quickdraw 500c/m!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

frogbs posted:

Is it really advisable to be hanging your camera from the tripod plate? Are those things designed for that kind of stress?

It's a big metal Manfrotto plate.

The camera hangs from the D ring which is attached to the piece that screws into the socket on the camera, basically the same as the R strap's connector.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Tshirt Ninja posted:

What's the name for those leather holster-type cases that only cover the back, bottom and sides of the body and screws into the tripod mount? I've only ever seen them on film 35mms.

Ever ready cases. You may hear an old timer call them a "never ready" case.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

geeves posted:

I haven't tried this yet, but I don't use my tripod enough to warrant leaving the plate attached.

Well my 500c/m has a 3/8" socket so I just basically leave it on there so I don't have to look for it when I want to use a tripod.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If they don't come in 3/8" they are dead to me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I Just picked up a Lowepro Exchange messenger bag ( http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Exchange-Messenger-Camera-Gray/dp/B002PK14VC ) for carrying around town when I don't want to drag out the Retrospective 20.

It's nylon but the Lowepro logo is tiny and could be removed if you wanted. Has one zipper pocket and two smallish open pockets on the front. The main compartment comes with a removable divider. I can comfortably fit my Hasselblad or Mamiya 645 and an extra lens with just enough room left over for a light meter (or paperback book). The strap is wide and comfortable.

I recommend it for anyone looking for a simple bag for daily carry. Definitely wouldn't replace my bigger bag for weddings or serious landscape excursions but for the street/bar it rocks.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Awesome, thanks!

And on that note, anyone know if the Ona bag can fit a camera with a grip? Doesn't look like it but then neither does the Retrospective.

Huh? I have a gripped D700 in my retrospective 20 right now.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
OH that makes sense.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Recently I flew home to NY for a week. All of my luggage was torn and beat to hell so I went shopping for a new bag. This is not really a camera bag but it's pretty loving rad so I think it belongs here.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

I managed to fit 5 days worth of clothes, a Hasselblad with additional lens, Polaroid 250 land, couple of paperbacks, 20 rolls of 120, and six packs of Polaroid film. I still had room for a few incidentals as well. It's very comfortable to carry even fully loaded. Highly recommended to anyone that needs a traveling bag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

nonanone posted:

Any suggestions for carrying: hasselblad, prism viewfinder, 2 backs, Polaroid back, pistol grips, film + odds and ends?
It doesn't require that much space but I don't want them rubbing against each other or carry a huge bag with too many divisions. I don't ever carry it long (yay assistants-sherpas) so it doesn't need to be super ergonomic but I do like bags to look nice and be somewhat accessible. Right now I'm just using a square lowepro bag and it's giving under all the weight and hard edges.

I'm a big fan of my Lowepro Exchange messenger. I comfortably carry a Hassie with back and 80mm attached, 150mm lens, spot meter and pouch full of 120 film in the main compartment. There are a couple of little pockets on the front for odds and ends. I think I paid thirty bucks for it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

psylent posted:

Any recommendations for a NON-camera backpack? I purchased a Dakine backpack in 2002 and I've used it almost every single day since then. It has travelled with me all over the world and to work every day. It's nearing the end of its life and I've started searching around for a replacement.

Aside from Dakine, who else make good quality bags?

I highly recommend anything from Tom Bihn. See my earlier post about a backpack:

8th-samurai posted:

Recently I flew home to NY for a week. All of my luggage was torn and beat to hell so I went shopping for a new bag. This is not really a camera bag but it's pretty loving rad so I think it belongs here.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/100/TB0104

I managed to fit 5 days worth of clothes, a Hasselblad with additional lens, Polaroid 250 land, couple of paperbacks, 20 rolls of 120, and six packs of Polaroid film. I still had room for a few incidentals as well. It's very comfortable to carry even fully loaded. Highly recommended to anyone that needs a traveling bag.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

JaundiceDave posted:

I'm looking for a backpack. I'm going to be using it for primarily non-photo stuff, but it needs to be able to take a d300 + grip and a few lenses or a pentax 6x7 when i need it to, along with a 15 inch laptop. Price is a factor, <150 would be great, <100 even better. Any recommendations?

http://www.tombihn.com

Their bags are expensive but probably the last back pack you will ever buy. I have a Brain bag which is their biggest and everyday carry my laptop, several books and my hasselblad setup (in a soft wrap) with tons of space to spare.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I have that bag and it's great. There isn't much padding except on the bottom. It's not too big for me with just one camera in it but I like to carry a bunch of stuff around.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Trambopaline posted:

How do you guys carry your tripods around? I just bought a new one and it's a clunky cheap heavy one, It feels awkward holding it all the time and it's far too heavy to sling on my slingshot's tripod holder. Should I look at tripod bags or is there a simpler option out there?

Manfrotto makes a shoulder strap that's pretty good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

FunOne posted:

I just got a T2i & nifty fifty for it. Can someone recommend a small soft case that would fit this body and lens only for carrying the camera in my luggage/carry on? I'm thinking a little zippered pouch thing, but form fitting.

I use a large Tenba wrap to cameras in my work back pack.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I recently out grew my big SERIOUS ART bag and was planning to buy a Domke, but came across some reviews for Safrotto bags. Apparently it's a chinese company that bought the riginal Domke designs when the company went bankrupt. I read that it's build quality is better than the new ones that Tiffen makes, so I found one on ebay. The only thing I'm unhappy about the color, wish you could get one in dark gray or green. It comfortably carries my medium format cameras and accessories. The end pockets are perfect for my film wallets or you could like store booze or something in there. The included shoulder pad is poo poo, I would encourage anyone that carries heavy cameras in an over the shoulder bag to get a Domke postal service pad, your neck will thank me.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MrBlandAverage posted:

Okay, I already have a Domke, but I really want those film pouches :swoon: where did you get them? Are they actually shotgun shell pouches?

Yup, they are these with the elastic loops cut out. http://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Tactical-MOLLE-Compatible-Shotgun/dp/B0027QSPAM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334680782&sr=8-2

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 17, 2012

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Oh and I was tired when I wrote that, forgot to include the price. That bag cost me $79. Which is waaaaay cheaper than an F1x.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Cute as heck posted:

Ugh, I'm so tempted to get a Billingham

So while I'm spending dumb amounts of money on accessories, can anyone recommend a leather strap that'd look dashing on an AE-1 (and also a ME ofc)

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/

I have one of these on my Zorki 6. It owns.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

QPZIL posted:

That looks unsecure as hell :stare:

It probably is unsecure as hell. I used split rings on mine.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

What's a good way to carry a Pentax 67 and multiple lenses in a big backpacking backpack? I'm thinking of a camera insert of some sort but I don't know what to look for.

I use Tenba camera wraps when I toss my cameras in a back pack for traveling. Frankly, you can't hurt the drat thing so I wouldn't go all crazy with too much padding.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've been really happy with my Blackrapid strap, from everything from large format cameras down to a Lomo LC-A (just kept it around my shoulder while I was out on the motorbike, made it convenient to take landscapes without having to take off my gloves/fiddle with a pack). Really ought to get around to buying the tripod shoe passthrough thing, it'll probably live on my Hasselblad once I do.

I've got an OP/TECH strap on the Hassie right now that I really like, it's very cushy.

I just screwed a cheap Arca Swiss clamp to the supplied Black Rapid ring and use that to clamp onto the Acratech plate that never leaves my Hassie.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's some high-quality bag chat taking place over in this thread. Please come hang out with us.

Unironically posted my backpack in your forum, sorry.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

RustedChrome posted:

That forum makes my eyes bleed.

Your eyes are broken, take them back.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I tether my x100s to my massive erections.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

404notfound posted:

conspicuous-consumption.jpg

Antique tan neck/shoulder strap from Tap & Dye and a small convex pink ivory soft release from Artisan Obscura. Would've preferred a closer color match, but the pink ivory ended up being a lot redder than the ones shown on the website. Still love the actual pattern, though--it's got an almost pearlescent sheen as the light reflects off the texture of the wood.

The Black Rapid strap on my D7000 is utilitarian and awesome, but the X100S just begs for some classy accessories.

Whelp, looks like I'll be replacing my plain boring rear end Abrahamsson soft release with some of those baller wood ones

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I find that soft releases let me hold the camera in a more comfortable way and trigger the shutter with a larger part of my finger than just the tip. Which let's me have a firmer grip on the actual camera body. Examples:

Grip with a softie:

Without:

I won't use a camera that has a threaded release without one anymore. The super cheap chinese ones are generally thin and uncomfortable, I would skip most of them unless the photos clearly show it in profile. A decent one is $15 or $20 just buy one and if you don't like it not like you are out a ton of money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

There is a line of Filson x magnum bags but they don't have the same aesthetics as the traditional twill & leather bags they're known for.

This reminds me to wander down to the Filson store and look at those magnum bags in person some time.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

powderific posted:

I just bought a camera bag I despise and thought I'd mention it to save anyone else considering it. I'd been looking to replace my old ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro with something that held a laptop, had a better waist belt, and had a little more space. Someone recommended CineBags to me and the CB-25B looked like it'd be a good fit. Well, it sucks. I don't know how it has such a high rating on B&H. Thanks to waaay too thick internal dividers, it barely holds more than my Streetwalker (thought it does hold a laptop of course) and with the same amount of equipment is unbearably uncomfortable. It puts a ton of pressure on my lower back, to the point that I was sore after just trying it out for a few minutes. Maybe it's designed for people bigger than me as I can barely get the waist strap tight enough to be useful? It's awful and I hate it so loving much.

Cinebag's belt pouch rules though. I have one for weddings.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

MadlabsRobot posted:

There should be a tripod mount on the flipside 400 aw. They call it Hideaway Tripod Mount™.

Edit: How do you like the Roadtrip by the way? I have a heavy rear end tripod that I never use due to the inconvenience, and am thinking of replacing it with the Roadtrip.

Look into Three Legged Thing tripods. I compared them and a Mephoto, the 3LT was hands down better. I ended up with a "dave" which is discontinued but strudy enough to hold my 4x5 as well as my Fuji.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

BANME.sh posted:

That sounds awesome. The only thing that was giving me second thoughts about the sling was that using the tripod mount meant the camera hangs awkwardly upside down or backwards with the lens against your body.

You're saying to get the sling with the split ring connector and one of the quick disconnect kits?

Gordy's are cool but not terribly comfortable or adjustable (I had one of the straps on my x100s). I use these http://www.dsptch.com/collections/straps/products/standard-camera-sling-strap-olive. They are adjustable between a sling and a longish neckstrap without tying up the tripod hole.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How secure are those clips?

Very. I have never had one pop open unintentionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Put the lenses in your rear end.

• Locked thread