Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There is a .mkv of Saving Priate Ryan floating around with the grain completely removed (this is fan made its files, you wouldnt want to go looking for it anyways and im gonna explain why) from the movie. Holy hell it looks terrible, but people actually like it a lot. I don't understand how anyone could think it looks better then the original blu-ray, but these opinions are why we have so many bad blu-ray transfers. :smithfrog:
This is hilarious, any screencaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

If posting screencaps of a movie is against the forum rules, that "guess the film" thread is in deep trouble.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sporadic posted:

The Cable Guy

Jim Carrey is the guy in the photo and Ben Stiller was the director. It's good news for fans since the current DVD is complete poo poo (released in 1997, flipper, non-anamorphic)

I found a second-hand one that's anamorphic widescreen. I counted myself as really lucky, since every new copy I've ever found was pan-and-scan.

Also, I loving love this movie.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bambi posted:

I've never seen the Donner cut of Superman II. It's on sale at Amazon right now for $14 - worth it, or no?

It's a pretty badly cobbled-together approximation of what Richard Donner's cut would be like; you'll basically be paying 14 dollars for a special feature.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Oh wow, it looks like we may finally be getting the complete Grindhouse on Blu. From Edgar Wright's twitter:

Oh my god gently caress yes

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Hopefully they'll re-release Rushmore next :colbert:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gl9Hpv_kkI

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

According to Wikipedia, it has the commentary but none of the other features.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

:siren: The Machete trailer is missing :mad: :siren:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Well, they specifically mentioned all the other trailers sandwiched between the features, so... I dunno.

They mention the intermission cards but not the old-school censor warnings and feature presentation logos too, so I really hope those didn't get the axe.

Basically, we're getting something better than anything we've ever had, but I'm still afraid they're gonna botch it somehow.

Miramaaaaaaaaaxx :argh:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzl6iA0d4Ow

Hey Thodt, this guy's totally calling you out.

i think

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Red posted:

I'm one of those that are really against buying a movie again, like Back to the Future or Terminator 2. Only my top 2% choice in films get that treatment.

Both those films should qualify :colbert:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

Anchorman details:

This has the Unrated and the Theatrical cut, right?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Do Best Buy exclusives show up in Canada too?

I want Anchorman like crazy :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Not to be a dick, but this is really old news. Don't you read the Criterion thread?
The dude right above him asked a question, he was answering it.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Bambi posted:

Just got back from Best Buy with a lot of those movies as well.

Anchorman is loving LOADED. 2 versions of the movie, plus an entirely different movie (Wake Up Ron Burgundy - in full 1080p no less), almost an hour of deleted scenes, ALL the extras from the DVD and HD-DVD, plus new extras, plus some trading cards, plus a pretty funny little booklet. Awesome buy for $20.

This is just a timed exclusive, right?

:GiantCanadaFlagCryingHundredsOfTinyCanadaFlags: :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

doctor thodt posted:

$8 coupon for the Toy Story 3 combo pack (should be active tomorrow):

http://www.toystorycoupon.com/

Most stores will have the regular edition for $20 and the combo pack for $25. Depending on the attentiveness of your cashier they might accept the coupon for the regular edition instead of the combo pack (it's worked for all of the previous coupons), netting you the BD for $12 + tax.

Edit: Ohhh, the WEBSITE should be active tomorrow. I'm an idiot.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

William Pahllace posted:

I am really, really, unusually excited for this now. Cable Guy is one of my ultimate guilty pleasure movies and if they do this Blu right I will be first in line to pick it up.

"the password is...... nipple"
I really, really love The Cable Guy, and I think anybody who hated it on first viewing should give it another chance.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

This is a bit off topic, but where did you get those shelves?

gently caress that, where'd you get the super-deformed Woody and Buzz?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah, that pretty much looks like what I saw in the theatre.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Fayez Butts posted:

If any of you nerds want a new computer background, I just threw this together in Photoshop:

I don't know what this is from.

I'm not a big enough nerd :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Dammit :doh:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

Nomanisan Island

I've seen The Incredibles like eight times and I can't believe I never spotted this.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

quote:

Let me see if I can convey our position and feeling in an analogy that you'll understand.

This is amazing.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

(It was kinda funny buying 'The Incredibles' and having Brad Bird thank me for 'choosing the widescreen version'. What did he say on the fullscreen disc?)

The Incredibles and A Bug's Life were both re-rendered with the shot compositions changed for the fullscreen versions, so he probably talks about that.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Red posted:

Criterion.com just announced a 75,000 second sale for 75k fans on Facebook.

I got, at 50% off SRP:

- The Great Dictator
- Modern Times
- Stagecoach
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- Kagemusha

Code: FB75K

$20 to ship to Canada :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Red posted:

Gizmodo says you need the coupon code SWAK to get the discount.

Pretty much the whole site is throwing up 500-errors at me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Sporadic posted:

If you enter 2 magic codes by 5/31, you get a free copy of either Bridge To Terabithia, Tinkerbell or A Bug's Life (which is in limited quantities)

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/twoforblu

I have a free code for this, who needs it?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I always knew the French Connection Blu-Ray was lovely, but I didn't realise the whole story behind it til I read an Freidkin interview on the AVClub.

WilliamFriedkin posted:

What I learned was that Fox, when they put that DVD out, there was a little warning inside the box that said, “This may not play well on your home receiver. If it doesn’t, write to w-w-w dot so-and-so, so-and-so. We’ll send you a disc that will make your own playback receiver compatible.” This was like a caveat emptor. And Roizman was right. The copies were all over the place. That’s not a perfect process, either.

Friedkin's talking about firmware updates here, and it's not even plausible for individual copies of the Blu-ray to look different from each other. He doesn't really know what he's talking about.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

morestuff posted:

$16 for the Alien Anthology

Aw, the Anthology doesn't have the features discs that come with the Quadrilogy :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The pHo posted:

I was halfway through a long rant about hating the incompatible natures of the US and UK ratings systems, but it sounds like it's the German version that's censored and not the UK one. It's the spear scene that's different. Spoiler in link - http://www.movie-censorship.com/news_en.php?ID=4149

Apparently the issue is that the UK BD uses the same transfer and therefore has the same censorship as the German one.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The pHo posted:

This happens all the time sadly, the Community DVDs have the wrong cuts for some of the episodes (they used the syndicated versions by mistake)

What? Really? :(

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Alien Anthology's already gone back up. Shame, I was gonna put both sets in the cart together for that price :smith:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

There's actually a documentary on Netflix about them that goes in quite unexpected directions.

It's really good.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

And just for yucks, a comparison between his scan and Koch Lorber's hideously awful Blu-Ray:

Good LORD :stare:

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

loving hell.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I don't recall the R-rated version very well... I heard the argument that it was more horrifying in a way because you don't see some of the violence and your imagination made it worse. What do you guys think?

One could make that argument, since the over-the-top violence tips the hand of the movie's comedic/satirical edge. Dial it back a bit, and it becomes more realistic and therefore more disturbing.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Canadians! Cineplex is running an incredible deal for Boxing Week:

-- 50% off everything
-- Free shipping on any order
-- Free movie ticket with any disc purchase over $14.99
-- They have Criterions

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yeah, they look amazing considering the source (nearly destroyed negative for Godfather 1) and going from the old DVDs to the new Blu-Rays is a big jump.

There's a great mini-documentary in the set on the restoration process, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Allyn posted:

Don Hertzfeldt is making a blu-ray of It's Such a Beautiful Day & World of Tomorrow if he gets $30k on Kickstarter (and he's made $2k in about 10 minutes, so)

Holy poo poo, thanks for posting this. Haven't poked my head into the Blu-Ray thread in ages, and now I've got a disc and a strip of frames heading my way.

• Locked thread