Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Captain Charisma posted:

I liked the list idea. Should we just do Top 10 Overall or do Best A/V, Best Supplements, etc.?

Honestly, I would say keep it simple and just do best overall. If the Blade-Runner Blu-Ray is not in the top ten I will break a Blu-Ray in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Slvbarek posted:

I got my new Battlestar Galactica packaging yesterday. If any of you guys are stuck with the old crappy limited edition boxes I strongly recommend sending in for the new stuff. It fits on the shelf a lot nicer now.

How do you go about this?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

bad movie knight posted:

The BMK Exchange Program is way better.

I just sent you my BSG Blu-Rays! I also sent in my entire DVD and Blu-Ray collection so that those cases can be upgraded to Blu-Ray style Criterion cases. Thank you BMK for the upgrade. I can't wait to get them back!

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

theradiostillsucks posted:

Just saw this on CheapAssGamer, good news for those holding out for deals on some of the Sony blus that never drop in price (read: Moon and Zombieland); Best Buy ad for 6/6-6/12:

Moon for $15? loving awesome. Hell, I might grab Zombieland and District 9 also.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Amazon buys DVDs. I have never used them, but I have considered it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Philip J Fry posted:

I'll hold out for the God-damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition, thanks. :colbert:

The fact that companies do not use names like this confuse me. Seriously, I would almost buy this movie on that name alone. With a name like Thrill of the Hunt Edition I think to myself "Maybe I should check the PQ etc when I get home." If I were to see God-Damned Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition I would buy it on the spot, because at worst I have an amazingly named special edition that will always be a conversation starter when someone new is by my place.

I can completely understand Slack-jawed human being Edition not happening, but Sexual Tyrannosaurus Edition should.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

MajorB posted:

This set was produced by the same guy that headed up the Blade Runner Final Cut boxset release, if that means anything.

Welp, that sells it for me.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I can't imagine how it could be better; not only is the Criterion disc transfer fantastic, StudioCanal have already demonstrated that they don't really give a poo poo.

Stop linking DVD images.:hurr:

Who is worse StudioCanal or Dragon Dynasty?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Oh wow, it looks like we may finally be getting the complete Grindhouse on Blu. From Edgar Wright's twitter:

I just pooped my pants a little bit. This was one of my favorite theater experiences and I only got to go once, so this is going to be awesome.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Bad Boys 2 and Lawrence of Arabia at this point are Blu-Ray's versions of Half Life 2: Episode 3 and Team Fortress 2.

There you go, I fixed that for you. Anyways, Blu-Rays...

Is Das Boot ever going to come out on Blu-Ray?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

BitterAvatar posted:

I just hope the transfer is good oh god please be good

If I recall correctly it is being done by the same people who did the Blade:Runner Final Cut restoration, so it should be phenomenal.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Colonel Whitey posted:

Um, I fail to see how this is better at all.

I am not taking that slipcover off.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

There was bad language in Avatar? :confused: Is there a "family video track" where they resolve their differences with a hug?

They say "poo poo" a whole lot. I only know this because it is enough for my boss to not let me put it on the TV in the movie store...that being said, I never wanted to anyways so I guess that is a non-issue.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Dudebro posted:

Does no one have a problem with dvdbeaver's site layout or are you all just used to the shittiness by now?

I am a simple man, and that site is simple...and terrible. Normally, I just go to http://www.blubeaver.ca/ and Ctrl+F to find things. That for wait for people to post links.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

OGB posted:

And I'm not gonna pay more than $17.

I have over 50 Blu-Rays and I think the average cost for them is $7 last I checked. Then again, I just bought Yojimbo/Sanjuro combo, House, and Che on Blu-Ray at the BnN half off sale because I got a $75 gift card from a raffle. If I need to watch it right loving now I will Netflix it otherwise I can wait for sales or for it to become an old title.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

doctor thodt posted:

Don't ever order anything from DD that's out of stock (which Videodrome is). I have orders over 3 months old that haven't shipped yet.

My Battlestar Galactica Blu-Rays were in stock when I ordered them and it took them 3 months to get to me. That is the first and last time that I will use them.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I think what we need to do is take pictures if our garbage cans full of slipcovers, then post them on hi-def forums. I get most of my movies from Amazon, I have no excuse.

You could most likely sell your slipcovers to people on those forums for a like $1 a pop. I bet some of them would bite.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

That's not the reason he's saying that. The reason he's saying that is because it's not a slipcover, it's a "slip-piece-of-cardboard-with-no-bottom-that-folds-open."

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

And yes, as someone who likes slipcovers, and especially likes the cover that is on the cardboard (even though I LOVE the Criterion-esque packaging), it is very annoying that they couldn't just make it a slipcover.

I have to say that personally I love that case, but as someone who works in a rental store...gently caress that case. I had to tape the "slipcover" to the cases so that people would know what movie it is. Also, people are dumb and like to take slipcovers off and reverse them etc, so I know this is going to be a bother for a while.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

That just made my week. I love that movie an unhealthy amount, and I have been annoyed that my Blu-Ray was rendered unusable by that update.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

The Sandlot is not only one of my favorite movies ever from my childhood, but the Blu-Ray is coming out on my birthday. I really hope that by some stroke of luck that the Blu-Ray is decent.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I circled the reason why. It is not actually sold by Amazon.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That's really weird. Why the suddenly high price? Is it OOP or something now?

I dunno, I just checked Best Buy, and they have it for $25 and it is backordered.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

frumpsnake posted:

No seriously, they're loving with us right?

Holy poo poo, I have never laughed so hard at a Blu-Ray screen shot. They have to be loving with us.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

What do you mean? Wouldn't most shows be shot on film or some comparable digital format? Even if it is broadcast in crappy SD wouldn't the original elements be suited for HD? And if they are not suited for HD then why put them on blu ray at all? Seems like a worthless exercise.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is shot on an SD camera and the Blu-Ray image is barely any better than the DVDs and takes up the same number of disks. It would be nice to have that all on one disk. That is the first example that I can think of.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Cacator posted:

The DVD disc of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is made to look like a DVD-R disc with the title handwritten on it. Almost fooled me, I like it. Reminded me of the Criterion Videodrome case.

Borat did the same thing and people in my movie store kept on asking if we were giving them a pirated version. I am betting that Girl with the Dragon Tattoo will be just as bad.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

I can't wait to put that next to the collector's edition Blade Runner briefcase that I keep in a box of junk in my closet.

You take that Blade Runner briefcase out of that closet right this instant! It does not deserve to be in there. :(

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Only works on Sony's 4K TVs? $8 to rent? $30 to purchase? What a bargain!

Sounds about right for the price point given the cost of Blu-Ray players and the disks in the past. Also, compare that with $14.99 to buy digital copies on Amazon. I mean, if you already bought a $5,000 TV I don't really think that the cost of 4K content is really going to stop you from buying it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

CPL593H posted:

So they're releasing Freaked on blu-ray. The one of you who knows what I'm talking about will probably appreciate this.

I saw the DVD when someone traded it in at the store like a year ago. I never watched it.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Call Me Charlie posted:

Spring Breakers dropped down to $11.98 from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BEJL4XS...9YPVAB0S657JAFX

I bought within 30 seconds of seeing this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm assuming this is just the R-rated cut?

It matches the unrated runtime, so I assume it is the unrated cut.

• Locked thread