Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

I feel like that row of films is missing Swamp Thing or Repo Man or something.

Is Swamp Thing good? I'm like to roll the dice and blind-buy blu rays sometimes, I feel like Swamp Thing may be something I'd like. Its Craven right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Daveski posted:

Everyone should buy this set because it rules, and it looks really awesome on your shelf.

I've held back from it because I feel like I'm basically paying for the book, which doesn't hold all that much interest for me. Are the two blu rays of special features worth it? I love the movie but I already own it on blu ray and don't care what it looks like on a shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't really understand what reason there could possibly be for leaving Pesci out. Its not like Goodfellas has some gigantic ensemble cast, nobody would be expected to make the cover except for the main three. I guess somebody just really thought it was crucial for a picture of a gun to be on there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For me blu ray completely sold itself the first time I popped the first one in the player and saw the difference. Until I get another jump in quality like that I see no reason to upgrade, and it sounds like this isn't going to be a big enough difference to be worth it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Isn't blu ray getting badly outsold by dvd in this, the time of the death of physical media? Isn't that the reason I can't get anything on blu that's not a recent release?

I feel like in the past year or two years there has finally been a bunch of older stuff released on blu ray. It kinda feels like the tide has turned and I can for the most part find anything I want on blu ray now. Shout Factory for instance has been putting out a whole lot of relatively obscure older stuff for the past few years, and Criterion has released the majority of its best stuff on blu ray too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

It sounds like they're specifically not trying to replicate a "dump all your players and upgrade now" scenario.

Rather, they'll just have any new players be this new technology and x months later launch all the movies in that format.

Yea this seems like the way its going to go and I'm fine with that. I don't really care about having to buy a new player, I just don't want to have to hook up two different players because half my collection won't play on the new one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

A friend of mine is complaining that the iTunes Jurassic Park has better image quality than his blu-ray. Is there a particular blu-ray that's best or do they all have problems.

I have a pretty basic bare bones JP blu ray and I think it looks fine, I've never noticed any problems with it. I'm not really all that good at noticing these things though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'll admit that not liking Apocalypse Now is one of my more contentious opinions, but Bram Stoker's Dracula is an incredible movie. i don't understand being bored with it, every scene - hell, almost every other shot - there's some new batshit insane thing happening. i'd like to see it find a new audience with the Hausu crowd.

I'm with you, Bram Stoker's Dracula(I usually call it Coppola's Dracula) is one of my favorite all-time films. Keanu's performance really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and even if you hate him the Harker character isn't even in it that much after the first 30 minutes.

Its a monster movie that has everything. Its a horde of rats, a werewolf, a gigantic bat, a suave Anne Rice style vampire, an old decrepit animalistic vampire, neon green mist, and a living shadow. Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins are worth the price of admission on their own, and every scene is absolutely beautiful to look at.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Only the great directors can put their personal stamp on films while still making each one feel unique. Mediocre directors either fade into the background of a film, or they go too far with their own unique "style" that every one of their projects ends up feeling the same.

There is absolutely a certain feel to a Ridley Scott film, or a David Lean or Kurosawa film, or John Ford, or Kubrick or Spielberg or Tarantino or Paul Thomas Anderson. The trick seems to be in striking that balance so that things don't start to feel repetitive(James Wan is my current go-to example of that)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

I hope they get around to reissuing Golden Voyage of Sinbad, aka the best Harryhausen.

This isn't the same as 7th Voyage of Sinbad right? I have a Sinbad blu ray that is Harryhausen but I think its 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

Golden Voyage of Sinbad is better?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's a clear difference in the colors there, but I still don't really know why I should prefer one over the other. So far this 4k thing really hasn't compelled me to upgrade.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

You seriously don't see a difference in sharpness on those images?

edit: I mean seriously

I'm not saying you should upgrade to the new release if you have the old one, but it does certainly look better.

I can see it now that you've zoomed so far in on his eyes, but truthfully I didn't notice any difference in the original image. I guess that level of detail just isn't something I've trained my eyes to notice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are you viewing on a phone? Open the two images in separate tabs on your computer and flick between them, if you can't spot the difference then don't bother upgrading. But it's a massive one, particularly in motion.

Ah, yea that did it. When I made them full screen and flicked between them I could definitely see the difference. I suppose if it were playing on a 40+ inch television it would be very noticeable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

I think worst case scenario they'll release a 2 pack when Bad Boys 3 comes out in a year or two.

Is Martin Lawrence involved in this? Is he in any shape to be doing an action movie right now?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So is there no Suspiria blu ray for region 1? I find that hard to believe but the only one I can find on Amazon is region 2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

What I've heard is that it's both Paul and Yoko who don't like it. Having lived through that time they probably have a very different feeling about it than someone just watching the film, even if the stuff that colors those memories isn't on the screen. I kind of get it, but also c'mon just put it out, god drat.

For a guy who's made like a billion dollars off Beatles fans over the years, Paul can be really petty about this kind of stuff. If he doesn't like something its not going to see the light of day, he's never going to just say "well the fans would really appreciate seeing this so I'll put it out there." It'd be nice if he recognized that the Beatles are ingrained in our culture at this point and stop being so anal about what gets released and what doesn't.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Wow House was pretty terrible, but I can see how it influenced Sam Raimi so it's not totally worthless

Its definitely not for everybody. You can't deny it has a certain charm though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love colorful films so I don't see any reason to strip Fury Road of one of its major selling points. I'd have a hard time even watching it once in B&W because I'd be thinking "this is really good, but its even better with colors constantly blasting me in the face!" the whole time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I'm actually talking to someone about Star Wars, ANH is just "the first one".

Raiders of the Lost Ark is "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Zombie has made three absolute masterpieces of horror in the past ten years, nobody else working today is anywhere close. Only the iconic best of the best(Carpenter, Craven, Argento) can claim to have made three better films in the genre than The Devil's Rejects, Halloween 2, and Lords of Salem.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Will Smith at some point gave interviews where he spoke openly about his early career and how meticulous he was in crafting his image. I'm sure he realized early on that he would need to appeal to white people if he was going to be a big star, and once he hit on the perfect persona to do that he's been very hesitant to step away from it. Ali was a special case because come on, of course anyone would love to play that role. Pursuit of Happiness is very interesting though, I'd love to learn more about what was going on behind the scenes or in his life that led to him taking that role.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Resurrection. Not only does it have Busta Rhymes, it has Busta Rhymes doing kung-fu on Michael Myers.

If the whole movie was done in this same tone it could have been a really fun self-aware sequel. Unfortunately it takes itself fairly seriously other than that one scene.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wandle Cax posted:

As said she was under contract to do it and apparently agreed so her character would not have to be in any more terrible sequels. She was still working, no way she needed the money that bad. Halloween resurrection is one of the worst films i've ever seen.

Yea as far as how the scene went down she basically demanded that her character be killed off, and she was only contracted for a short cameo so the options were limited.

She gives a drat good performance in H2O though, which I think is actually a pretty overrated movie and really is only watchable because of her presence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like Bad Boys II is visually the most Michael Bay of any of Michael Bay's movies. Maybe worth owning on blu ray for that reason alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

The opening of Resurrection is actually pretty well done (even if Michael successfully killing Lorie feels wrong.) I love the guy who's obsessed with serial killers going "... And now he's back!"

The idea of Laurie basically lying in wait at the institution for years with this whole plan set up to kill him once and for all was neat because its basically the same thing Michael does before escaping in the original Halloween. Being his sister she has the same almost supernatural patience that he has.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neo_Reloaded posted:

Oooooh poo poo motherfuckers - John Wick BD for $8 at Amazon. I mean, everyone should already own this, but here's your chance for redemption if you've been slacking. Best action movie in years.

The only reason I don't own this is because I watched it about 5 times when it was on HBO GO. I need a few years off. There's a sequel coming eventually isn't there?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
MiB 2 is the worst sequel ever made in my opinion, excluding horror franchises that have like 8+ entries. Men in Black is often compared to Ghostbusters, and Ghostbusters 2 not very well liked, but its infinitely more watchable and entertaining than MiB 2.

I've seen Men in Black about ten times and it never gets old. I attempted to get through MiB 2 three separate times and fell asleep every time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

looking bad in comparison to the first is pretty damning for a sequel

Right but Ghostbusters 2 was brought up in comparison to Men in Black 2. Nobody's arguing that Ghostbusters 2 is on the same level as the original, but the point I was making is sequels can get much, much worse. MiB2 is proof of that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

Well, no, Men II Black is more than half assed in that it is entirely rear end.

If I had to pick one factor that makes it unwatchable, its that we went from one of the best movie villains ever in D'Onofrio's Edgar, to Lara Flynn Boyle of all people.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

Ghostbusters is not that good.

You're so edgy and controversial.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

Weren't they only released like 5 years apart?

Those 5 years weren't very kind to Aykroyd moreso than the others. I don't remember Rami, Murray, or Hudson looking much different.

Edit: poo poo I'm getting beaten all over these forums today

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I remember correctly Murray wasn't really sure he should have even been doing the first Ghostbusters, and if you really got the truth out of him I'd bet he thought he was sleep-walking his way through that too. The guy is just ridiculously talented, him at 20% is still better than almost anyone else on the planet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It's basically an instant collection if you're just now getting a BD player.

My problem with those kind of sets is I like to organize my movie collection in some way, usually by genre or director, and a set that's all over the place like that kinda throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing. Great deal though, can't argue that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I organize my collection in reverse alphabetical order by the second letter of the Key Grip's last name.

What can I say, I enjoy organizing and reorganizing my collection and then staring at it lovingly. I'm not a healthy person.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nate RFB posted:

I did a weird mixture of title alphabetical and director alphabetical for when I had a lot of any particular one (such Kurosawa), but it got too troublesome after a while so now I just have everything by title.

That's exactly what I do for the most part. Guys like Kurosawa, Kubrick, Lean, Scott, P.T Anderson, Bergman, Cohen Brothers and John Carpenter get their own section. Everything else by title.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Putting the discs in a binder is inconceivable to me.

Yea I really enjoy having them on a shelf that's in my living room so when I'm lounging on the couch I can just look over and see them all and pick something out.

I don't mess around with weird shaped cases though, no matter how cool they may look. I like to have a neat looking shelf with everything more or less lining up properly. Steelbooks are ok though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There aren't enough good Die Hard movies in the series for me to really want a full box set, I'd really just like to see a super ultimate deluxe anniversary edition of the original film, I'd pay whatever they want to charge for it. I keep waiting for that but every few years they just poo poo out another sequel and lovely boxset.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

friendo55 posted:

That whole 'a lot less Carl Winslow' factor is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
FYI - he and Harriet Winslow reunited on a Lifetime Christmas movie that aired last week, The Flight Before Christmas. Also, Brian Doyle-Murray.

To be fair the trade off is Carl Winslow for Sipowicz so I'd say its a wash. The t.v. edit for Die Hard 2 is probably the best ever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cemetry Gator posted:

Die Hard 2 works as long as you can accept that it takes place in an alternate reality where there are no other airports in the eastern seaboard.

Nah, that aside there's plenty of other things going on that are absolutely ridiculous even for Die Hard, like the (spoilered for the one guy here who hasn't seen it) special forces team that shows up with blanks in their guns. The plan is more convoluted than in another other Die Hard sequel by at least a few degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My problem with Die Hard 2, and to be fair all the sequels suffer from this to some degree, is that they seemed to think the "twist" where Gruber isn't actually a terrorist as much as a thief was a critical element that couldn't be changed. So every sequel had to have some sort of play on that whole thing, where the villain's motives aren't what they seem at first. A lot of the convoluted poo poo in Die Hard 2 seems like its in service to that, and its just not necessary.

• Locked thread