Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
To my knowledge, the only Fleischer Superman blu-rays are lovely public domain cash grabs ripped straight from VHS. Warner did a nice DVD set, but I doubt they'd ever upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm sure the crowd asking for it is probably tiny, but Andy Kaufman biopic Man on the Moon doesn't have a US blu-ray release. I love that movie, but my ancient DVD is starting to get hosed up.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Timby posted:

I originally loved that movie to bits, but as time has gone by I enjoy it less and less. Carrey portrays Kaufman as a simpering manchild, whereas everything else I've ever seen and read about him suggests that he was a dark, conniving, deeply troubled puppetmaster.

Yeah, for me the appeal is mostly nostalgia at this point. I appreciate it for what it is and for introducing me to Kaufman's work, but it hasn't aged well.

Has there been any news regarding a physical Breaking Bad 4k release? There's a thread about it on blu-ray.com, but it hasn't updated in over a year. I imagine that kind of set would be outrageously expensive, but BB is one of the few shows I'd upgrade without hesitation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cloks posted:

Where's the Barton Fink convention?

Sharing a convention hall with A Serious Man and Raising Arizona.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

RichterIX posted:

I didn't realize Fox wasn't going to bother putting out Archer season 7 on blu-ray. I mean, I hear it sucks anyway but it's annoying that they decided to stop with the blu-rays 7 loving seasons in.

They've done the same for King of The Hill and Simpsons. It was only a matter of time and I fully expect the same to happen with Sunny.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
nvm, the deal ended

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have mine alphabetized and separated into TV and Film bookshelves but it's a real pain in the rear end whenever I buy new stuff. Thinking of starting over and just putting genres together instead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

I tried the genre thing but I found that the idea of genres really breaks down when you're forced to actually pick a spot for a movie to sit on a shelf. So many of my favorite sci fi films are also horror, for instance, so I ended up just combining those sections into one big scifi/horror shelf.

Yeah, that's what I'm aiming for. Scifi/Horror, Drama/Comedy, Action, and Collections. My other big problem is that I'm running out of space and I can't add another bookshelf. Might be time to start storing stuff I rarely watch.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Where would a horror comedy go? This is why the idea of sorting by genre makes my head explode.

Depends on the movie. Little Shop of Horrors? Comedy. Cabin in The Woods? Horror. Though I could see that getting ridiculous after a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GonSmithe posted:

I am horrible with spending money so I blind-buy pretty much every Criterion that I buy. Haven't hit one that I regret yet.

Same, except 40-50% of my total library are blind buys. I get suckered in by rad covers, especially if it's 70s/80s sci-fi.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I stuck all my unwatched stuff together on one shelf and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Maybe 25-30 individual films, so just under a fifth of my stuff. It's a weird mix too, lots of stuff I must have bought dirt cheap or at Half Price Books.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Imagine having a nice shelf of Criterions with Armageddon sitting in the center.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My dad still owns his Laserdisc player. In fact, the last time I took him record hunting, he found out the store had a bunch of LDs for $1, so he sat down on the floor in the middle of the aisle and proceeded to pick through every last one of them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Behold, the oldest DVD I own. Just look at that terrible packaging.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Iron Crowned posted:

:popeye:

And I always thought those WB cardboard packages were horrid.

I actually didn't mind them, they always kept the discs secure and the locking hinge was oddly satisfying. Their main problem was in stacking or lining them up because they'd warp easy and your shelf would look all :pwn:.

I think they were wider than standard cases too, so the spines stuck out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't remember ever buying a movie at Suncoast, but I bought a ton of action figures there. It absolutely blew my mind the first time I saw toys based on R-rated movies.

I also remember buying Dick Tracy and Austin Powers Mez-Its there for $3 each.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm almost certain the Walmart release will have Logan Noir.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have a 4K setup and I can see a small difference, but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade (at least not yet). To be fair though, everything I have in 4K is from the last 2 years, maybe an older film without cg would look better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

Part of it is that they're more expensive on first run stuff. The new Bambi and Pinocchio Signature Editions are $26.99, while Best Buy has them for $19.99.

Even Best Buy's selection is getting sparse. Both of my local stores have downsized their Blu/DVD section three times in the last year.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Kingtheninja posted:

In an effort to not go crazy over the criterion sale, is the lone wolf set worth picking up? I think I've only seen the first one, and it's been a while. I don't remember if these were good movies (good transfers?) or just popular for how over the top they were.

Absolutely. They're all fantastic and even the American edit is worth watching for the intensely 80's synth score.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It might be a great place for for them to put all of their terrible live action movies from 1950's-when they purchased Marvel and Lucasfilm.

Rocketman is a masterpiece

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is there any hope for 50's schlock like It Conquered The World or Invasion of the Saucermen to ever get blu releases? The last time I saw It Conquered... was 20 years ago on VHS and apparently it never even got a DVD release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

ruddiger posted:

I ended up making an aisle since I have too many.

The two shelves with the box sets and odd shaped steel books have since been filled with blu rays.

This is probably where I'm headed :sigh:. I've got two full Billys, plus one of the half-height ones and enough new stuff laying on the shelves to fill up another. Do you have them anchored together at the top to prevent wobbling?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

I usually get rid of doubles as I upgrade.

Bookcases are IKEA Billy black-brown with an extra shelf on each. TV stand is just something I got from Target on sale and will eventually replace with matching IKEA one.

Also, more photos for those who like to spot stuff on shelves:

I've got an Oswald plush and ears on top one of my Billys too :hf:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

October Warner Archive:

Oct. 3
Superman: The Movie (Extended 188 min. Television Cut) - newly remastered in HD, includes the 2000 "special edition" cut on second disc.
How different is this from the 150+ minute Expanded Cut from the anthology set?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I, Butthole posted:

Get Out is down to $10 on Amazon.

$10 at Best Buy as well, bought it there yesterday

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Figures, I just bought the dvd sets two months ago

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Harlock posted:

They are showing all of the movies in a special event in theaters leading up to The Last Jedi. Not sure if they specified what version of the films.

They've done that for TFA and Rogue One before though. The only strictly 40th Anniversary things they've done are a few panels at Celebration, an anthology book with a bunch of bad short stories, and the requisite toys and shirts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Steve Yun posted:

My Criterions have arrived, and now I realized they are my first Criterion Blurays. I am struggling with whether to put them in blue cases.

Mods?!?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I bet you people just toss the booklets too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Transferrins posted:

What movie is this? Love to see practical monsters that just use the telephone instead of running around all the time.

Tammy and the T-Rex IIRC. It's about a guy who gets his brain transplanted into a T-Rex and also his girlfriend still loves him or something? It stars Denise Richards and it ends with her doing a sexy dance for her boyfriend, who is now a brain in a jar connected to a camcorder.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

The reason I collect is I’m afraid of streaming services collapsing. If Netflix decides to shift to a 100% original programming model, then I can’t watch certain movies. And there is already a trend of studios creating their own platforms meaning I have to subscribe to dozens of sites to watch everything. And not everything is available to stream either. And no special features for digital media. Physical media is the safest model for a film fanatic.

I can’t remember the exact number, but the number of films available on Netflix has dropped by an insane percent over the last few years. That, combined with the current trend of every channel and studio wanting their own service and pulling stuff off of Netflix, means I just buy basically everything I watch and enjoy. It’s expensive, but I don’t have to worry about lovely stream resolution, monthly fees, or dwindling selection.

And to be a total hypocrite, I haven’t bought a physical video game in over 3 years. You get spoiled with everything just sitting on the Xbone hard drive.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I saw Christmas Evil at Alamo tonight and it blew me away. Can anyone vouch for the Vinegar Syndrome release? I have to own that film.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My area of Houston has gently caress all for good finds, but I usually come back from Austin shops with 10 or so great finds.

Speaking of, if you’re near a Fry’s Electronics you may want to check them out. They’ve started to clearance a lot of Arrow Video releases at $13-18 each. Picked up a bunch of giallo and their The Hills Have Eyes release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I only buy movies on Blu-ray if I consider them films I could watch every year for the rest of my life. Needless to say, I have no plans of buying Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu-ray.
I think I paid $4 for my copy of Into Darkness. I have a bad habit of both blind-buying blu-rays I’m interested in and sub-par movies I kind of like if they’re under $15. I’ve been surprisingly lucky so far, only a handful have been so awful I felt like reselling them.

Timby posted:

Pretty sure he's disappeared from the Internet publicly, anyway. I believe he has a parachute here, though.
I’m almost certain at least one parachute was discovered and perma’d shortly after he was outed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
They actually just released season 18 on dvd after a long break, but IIRC 19 is the only other release they have planned. Seasons 21+ will probably never get physical releases. Even a complete series set when the show finally ends is hugely unlikely.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TheScott2K posted:

The Disney buyout will finally kill it. They'll tell the cast to get hosed.

:laffo: if you seriously think Disney wouldn’t see The Simpsons as a potentially lucrative franchise and milk the poo poo out of it. When the cast starts dying of old age, they’ll just recast them and keep it running for another 30 seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Basebf555 posted:

Like ten years ago they did a feature film and it was actually not terrible, they should've planned that as the big finale for the show.

I can think of so many times in the first 15 years of The Simpsons when a huge event series finale would've been awesome, now there's just no way to get that magic back. It will die with a whimper, no way around that now.

I’ve never bought into the “everything after season 10 is poo poo” argument. There’s more good than bad all the way through ~season 14-15. The tipping point is somewhere after that, though I’ve enjoyed occasional episodes as recently as season 26.

It really should end at 30 though, because the last two seasons have absolutely been the worst yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Unmature posted:

Not blu ray but it only came out on DVD:

What the gently caress is up with the packaging on the new Kids In The Hall box set? An amazing set and well worth the purchase of course, but goddamn. It's just an open box with a little cardboard slip that covers the top and all the disks are just in loose sleeves with the publishing company's branding on them.

I read that the special features are all exclusive to some Mill Creek streaming service? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

TBD - The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler (new 4Ks)

Hell yes

• Locked thread