Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like the floodgates are starting to open on bigger titles for UHD - Gladiator, Braveheart, and Jurassic Park are all up for preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FancyMike posted:

Japan is blu-ray region A so if you're in the US any imports should play just fine.

I never knew this. But still a lot of Japanese blu-rays don't include English subtitles. This is why I had to wait forever to see Shin Godzilla.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CPL593H posted:

I never knew this. But still a lot of Japanese blu-rays don't include English subtitles. This is why I had to wait forever to see Shin Godzilla.

That's interesting. Because back in the day, Japanese DVDs weren't in the same region as NA, but they all had English subtitles. I have all of these Japanese DVDs that I can't watch right now because my region free DVD player broke and I never bothered replacing.

RIP my Shunji Iwai collection.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

That's interesting. Because back in the day, Japanese DVDs weren't in the same region as NA, but they all had English subtitles. I have all of these Japanese DVDs that I can't watch right now because my region free DVD player broke and I never bothered replacing.

RIP my Shunji Iwai collection.

Life is pain.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The DVD of Ichi The Killer my friend brought back from Japan for me sure didn't have english subs :mad:

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

handsome only face posted:

I just found out about it but Takeshi Kitano's entire back catalogue of directed movies got released in supposedly region free, english subtitled bluray back in september. I ordered got a couple of them off amazon japan while they have a sale the next couple days but the shipping/import fees probably would turn off most. They're not that cheap individually either but I believe it's the first time some of them have been released other than DVD

The Film Movement Classics releases of Violent Cop and Boiling Point are top notch, too.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Hong Kong and Korea are also region A now, and every Hong Kong release (blu or dvd) I've watched has had Egnlish subs, though sometimes they aren't great.

Still worth going region free, which is pretty easy these days. There are a lot of great region B releases that can be had pretty cheap through Amazon UK.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
What's region C then? I could have sworn some things I ordered from Amazon.jp were not region a.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

What's region C then? I could have sworn some things I ordered from Amazon.jp were not region a.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone here interested in :nws: adult anime?:nws:

http://thirdwindowfilms.com/films/animerama-1001-nights-cleopatra/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2018

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

I'm pretty sure this has been considered as a lost media for a while, that's interesting.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Those are part of the same series as Belladonna of Sadness, right?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm interested in keeping my job. So you should have :nws: that.

(I only clicked it because GonSmithe said "lost media" and I took that as a film that was thought to be previously lost forever.)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Shoombo posted:

I'm not sure if it was intended that way, but I'm certainly making a dedicated section on my bookshelf for them, next to the Jena Malone section.

IUG posted:

I'm interested in keeping my job. So you should have :nws: that.

(I only clicked it because GonSmithe said "lost media" and I took that as a film that was thought to be previously lost forever.)

:nws: adult anime:nws:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shoombo posted:

Yep. The series was a last-ditch attempt to bring some money in for Tezuka Productions. The first two movies, Cleopatra and 1001 Nights, are relatively standard because they thought they still had some hope of surviving as a studio. When they made Belladonna of Sadness, the end was pretty much in sight, so they basically just said "gently caress it" and made the most batshit thing they could, from what I understand.

e: like, I'm not going to say the earlier two movies are completely normal but they're... certainly not Belladonna of Sadness.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yep. The series was a last-ditch attempt to bring some money in for Tezuka Productions. The first two movies, Cleopatra and 1001 Nights, are relatively standard because they thought they still had some hope of surviving as a studio. When they made Belladonna of Sadness, the end was pretty much in sight, so they basically just said "gently caress it" and made the most batshit thing they could, from what I understand.

e: like, I'm not going to say the earlier two movies are completely normal but they're... certainly not Belladonna of Sadness.

Probably look real pretty though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Shoombo posted:

Probably look real pretty though.

Well, yeah, it's Osamu Tezuka.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Warner Bros. is now regularly licensing to Shout! Factory. Besides the It's Alive trilogy being announced, they just confirmed The Curse of the Cat People and Night of the Lepus.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Warner Bros. is now regularly licensing to Shout! Factory. Besides the It's Alive trilogy being announced, they just confirmed The Curse of the Cat People and Night of the Lepus.

glad the superior cat people movie is getting a release

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I finally have an excuse to trade out the old Val Lewton double feature DVD for two great restored specialty releases.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The BBC is up-scaling season 12 of Doctor Who (Tom Baker's first season) for Blu-ray release in June.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Parallax posted:

glad the superior cat people movie is getting a release

:hfive:

Makes a great double feature with The Night of the Hunter.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

More Kino Lorber releases:

4/17 - Camp Nowhere
4/24 - The Holy Mountain (1926)
5/1 - Jane Austen's Mafia!, Legend of the Mountain (4K restoration)
5/15 - The Sacrifice (new 4K restoration)
5/22 - Fistful of Dollars (new 4K restoration)
6/5 - Under Capricorn (new 4K restoration), The Woman in the Window
6/26 - The Martian Chronicles, The Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 2
TBD - The Day After, For a Few Dollars More (new 4K), Gone to Earth/The Wild Heart (Powell & Pressburger), Irma La Douce (new 4K), Kundun, The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler (new 4Ks), Old Ironsides, The Outer Limits: Season 2, Trilogy of Terror

They're also planning to release the Dollars Trilogy on UHD this or next year.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 10, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Egbert Souse posted:

TBD - The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler (new 4Ks)

Hell yes

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

4/17 - Camp Nowhere
4/24 - The Holy Mountain (1926)
5/1 - Jane Austen's Mafia!, Legend of the Mountain (4K restoration)
5/15 - The Sacrifice (new 4K restoration)
5/22 - Fistful of Dollars (new 4K restoration)
6/5 - Under Capricorn (new 4K restoration), The Woman in the Window
6/26 - The Martian Chronicles, The Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 2
TBD - The Day After, For a Few Dollars More (new 4K), Gone to Earth/The Wild Heart (Powell & Pressburger), Irma La Douce (new 4K), Kundun, The Night Stalker/The Night Strangler (new 4Ks), Old Ironsides, The Outer Limits: Season 2, Trilogy of Terror

Seeing the words "The Holy Mountain" on there was such a cock tease.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Seeing the words "The Holy Mountain" on there was such a cock tease.

I put the (1926) there for a reason. The Fanck/Riefenstahl film is highly regarded and pretty much everything coming from the Murnau Foundation looks fantastic.

Though, I finally picked up the ABKCO Blu-ray of Jodorowsky's film when it was on sale on Amazon. I thought it looks very good for a Techniscope film, even if the contrast could be a little tighter. A new 4K would certainly look better, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

I put the (1926) there for a reason. The Fanck/Riefenstahl film is highly regarded and pretty much everything coming from the Murnau Foundation looks fantastic.

Though, I finally picked up the ABKCO Blu-ray of Jodorowsky's film when it was on sale on Amazon. I thought it looks very good for a Techniscope film, even if the contrast could be a little tighter. A new 4K would certainly look better, but I wouldn't expect a night and day difference.

I thought it was still out of print. People were charging crazy money for it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Egbert Souse posted:

Their recent wonky Good Bad Ugly release was standard HD only, right? I guess it’s too early to tell if they’ll tweak that transfer for UHD?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Their recent wonky Good Bad Ugly release was standard HD only, right? I guess it’s too early to tell if they’ll tweak that transfer for UHD?

Seems like it might since they said they're working with L'immagine Ritrovata on the color timing this time.

Also, they confirmed on Facebook that The Atomic Cafe is coming soon from a new 4K restoration.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

The BBC is up-scaling season 12 of Doctor Who (Tom Baker's first season) for Blu-ray release in June.

This is an odd choice since the first story was shot entirely on video and I think another one was that season too.

Like it may look better in the US since now US TVs aren't an inferior standard but overall, hmm.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think PAL 25fps can fit within 1080i by just duplicating every third frame.

The Beatles 1+ set has a lot of 25fps content (either from film or video) encoded this way and it looks quite nice.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I found a sealed copy of Aspen Extreme today for $1. Not the greatest find, but that’s a surprisingly difficult movie to find.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

I think PAL 25fps can fit within 1080i by just duplicating every third frame.

The Beatles 1+ set has a lot of 25fps content (either from film or video) encoded this way and it looks quite nice.

Doesn’t that... look choppy?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Steve Yun posted:

Doesn’t that... look choppy?

I mean it'd probably look indecipherable unless you were really keen on finding it, but wouldn't that 2 seconds of audio lag every minute? The audio dragging on fractionally longer would be more noticeable I'd think, as would slowing it down (the pitch shift on any DVD copy of a US show to when I might rarely catch it on television is astoundingly different).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It looks a little strange because it looks "faster" than normal 24fps or 29.94fps content, but nothing choppy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblYSKz_VnI

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Matrix UHD - May 22

New 4K remaster with Dolby Vision supervised by DoP Bill Pope with a new Dolby Atmos track. Looks like it has all the extras from prior editions, including four commentries.

Also, Peter Pan: Signature Edition on June 5

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 14, 2018

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

5/1 - Jane Austen's Mafia!, Legend of the Mountain (4K restoration).

Legend of the Mountain is really good and the new restoration is stunning. Definitely the prettiest King Hu film I've seen and the pacing of it is great for 190 minutes. Glad it's getting a quick US release so I won't have to import the UK disc. Janus has had Dragon Inn for two years now and still no news about an actual release.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Two big pieces of news from today.

June's Criterion titles:
Female Trouble
The Virgin Spring
Bowling or Columbine
El Sur
Manile in the Claws of the Light

Shout! Factory gains the rights to 270 Roger Corman films. According to the news, not only do they get the distribution rights, they can also produce sequels to those titles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
For those of you that don't get the Newsletter Vinegar Syndrome has started shipping the March preorders, and April's releases are now up for preorder.

Vinegar Syndrome posted:

Keeping with our pledge to maximize horror releases this year, we've dedicated all three of our April Blu-ray slots to horror titles of varying types. Scroll down for the release announcements.

A couple website related tidbits:
• March releases are in-stock and shipping. The two March packages are still discounted until March 27th -- so get your order in soon to snag an extra 10% off!
• April pre-orders are LIVE with the added ability to add multiple pre-order items AND in-stock items to your cart.

Don't miss the BIGGGGG release announcement at the bottom of this newsletter...

BLOOD HOOK

Jim Mallon's darkly humorous blend of slasher setup, pseudo-giallo, and small midwestern town fishing traditions, BLOOD HOOK, arrives on Blu-ray, newly restored from its original negative and presented in its much longer and never before released in this country, original director's cut (which includes, among other things, nearly 30 seconds of additional gore), alongside fresh interviews with its cast and crew and a limited edition embossed slipcover!

TERROR

Then, continuing to forage through the world of filmmaker Norman J. Warren, we present his 1978 splatter/slasher/send up to horror cinema, TERROR, offered in its full strength director's cut, and newly restored from its camera negative, making it all the easier to enjoy its dizzying array of low-fi gore effects. Plus, the package comes complete with a slew of all new interviews plus some freshly discovered deleted and extended plot scenes!

BLUE VENGEANCE

Thirdly, we have a real oddity from the waning days of NYC-made exploitation sleaze, J. Chris Ingvordsen's almost unclassifiable BLUE VENGEANCE. Lurching between slasher tropes, action set-pieces, and almost-supernatural curveballs, and filled with great glimpses of NYC during its last gasps of true grit, this is the most earnest piece of genre-blending Big Apple weirdness that we've released since MASSAGE PARLOR MURDERS!

LITTLE SHOWOFFS [DVD]
FLESH AND LACES 1&2 [DVD]

On DVD, we have Zachary Strong and Curt McDowell's mix of sexual documentary and fantasy set-pieces, LITTLE SHOWOFFS. And then...yes...it was inevitable, but Carlos Tobalina makes his (triumphant?) return with FLESH AND LACES: PART I & II. It's three exciting hours in two exciting parts. You've been warned...

March releases are in-stock and shipping from VinegarSyndrome.com!

Now, with all the excitement of April out of the way, don't forget to pick up our [almost] all 'deep cuts' March lineup, which includes:

Alexander Cassini's nearly unparalleled in weirdness slasher/art film, STAR TIME. If you ever dreamed that David Lynch's art director had made a social statement infused almost-horror film set in a near-apocalyptic looking Los Angeles, your fantasy is Alex Cassini's reality.

Then, two masterpieces from the LA Rebellion film movement, Jamaa Fanaka's debut features WELCOME HOME BROTHER CHARLES and EMMA MAE are freshly on Blu and restored from their negatives.

Last (but not least) is Alex deRenzy's madcap spiritual sequel, BABYFACE II. Jamie Gillis pops out of a cake. So you know you need it.

For DVDs, we have a true stunner: CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE PEANUT BUTTER FREAK, presented fully uncut for the first time on home video. And, a very theatrically minded Peekarama double with GOOD GIRLS, BAD GIRLS and WOMEN AT PLAY!
They're in stock and shipping now, so don't delay!

Halfway to Black Friday is just around the corner!

Halfway to Black Friday = May 25th - 28th

With just over two months to go until our ’trademarked‘ Halfway to Black Friday sale over Memorial Day Weekend, we're offering a taste of what May has in store, and said taste is the Blu-ray premier of Melvin Van Peebles masterpiece, SWEET SWEETBACK'S BAADASSSSS SONG. As with our previous Halfway sale, we‘ll have two exciting Blu-ray surprises; one a home grown gem of white trash nastiness, the other a surprisingly elegant portrayal of guttural sleaze.

Also...in addition to SWEETBACK and the two surprise Blu-rays, May will bring the Blu-ray debuts of a mid-80s gore-comedy and another Roger Watkins directed film (no, it's not LHoDES).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

:dance:

I hope they keep doing this and release Desperate Living next. Lowkey the best John Waters film.

• Locked thread