Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
All of this info seems geared towards those looking to practice law in the States. Is it safe to assume the situation is basically the same in Canada? I've been told that the "glut" of lawyers in the market isn't nearly as severe up here as it is in the US, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

TheBestDeception posted:

This thread is not long at all and this question has already been answered (on the first page no less)

Oops. I'm kinda running on low sleep right now. Sorry about that!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
poo poo, I'm kinda considering studying law after undergrad. Someone help before it's too late!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Ersatz posted:

My wife left me on Tuesday. I billed 15 hours on Wednesday. Do not go.

Wow, that's rough. Sorry to hear that...

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Has the LSAT changed much since 2007? I just took the free one on the LSAC website cold under timed conditions and was wondering how well it matched up to the present day.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

HiddenReplaced posted:

I disagree with your assessment of his post. If that were the case, he would have just written it off to begin with without asking us. He probably did well, and he is now looking for confirmation that he is some sort of LSAT god.

Haha, 168 but didn't think it was overly relevant to the question. I wouldn't say "looking for confirmation," but rather looking to get shot down. I need as few reasons to go as possible! This is the lawyer/law school megathread is it not?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I made 4 mistakes each in Sections 1 and 2, which correspond to logic games and logical reasoning. Then 1 mistake each in 3 and 4.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, with some practice on logic games you might be able to get one of the scores on the LSAT that place you into the schools where going is iffy instead of the "don't even think about it" range.

I'm Canadian so all of our schools are elite! :canada:

(E: but still iffy)

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 13, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Depends on your GPA but 168 is a good score for any school you want here.

Fitocracychat: we getting a new challenge going any time soon?

I'm shooting for U of Torture - if I can't get in there or Osgoode I doubt I go to lawschool at all. Even if I do get in to both/either I'll have to think long and hard. I'd need basically a 4.0 next year to get to their 3.9 median, since I'm at like 3.78 right now (My school's grading system is identical to the OLSAS system). Is school reputation a thing that matters in the slightest? I've heard my school notorious for grade deflation, but don't know how true that is.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 13, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
So you're saying that going to law school can be a good idea? Am I in the right thread? Haha

You do raise a good point though. I think what I said stems from wanting to always be with the "best and brightest" to see how I stack up, though the end result may not be all that different.

E: As an aside, what's the general opinion on combined MA/JD programs, particularly for Economics?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Uh, Waterloo doesn't have a law school, which explains the dearth of combined JD programs.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 7, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

rockin peanut posted:

Okay, this makes sense. I guess I needed a bit of a reality check. After looking into it, my GPA will be calculated as a 3.6 at my 'safety' school, so I'm still comfortable. In any case, I'm not invested in going the law route, but I'll make sure to put a heavier emphasis on retaking the LSAT if that's still what I want to do down the road from now. Thanks for the help.

Dude, forget law! Get your CA and rule the world!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I'm an over-represented minority. Should I decline to report my race on the LSAC website?

Also I'm planning on writing the LSAT in October 2012, so I'm putting together a reading list. Will the 3 Powerscore Bibles (LG, LR and RC, published 2008, 2009 and 2010 respectively - still relevant?) plus some LSAC preptests provide a good enough background? I got a 168 on the 2007 LSAT from the LSAC website with 30 minutes per section so a course seems like it would be a waste of money. The OP recommends Powerscore but it was written many moons ago so I figured I'd test the current waters.

Good luck to everyone who still has finals!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Jewish. Pretty sure I'm over-represented. The first part was just me being facetious, I'm more concerned with the books part of my post.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 7, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Is an accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA...) or LL.M necessary or important to becoming a tax attorney?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Do you guys think that American law schools would take into consideration that my Canadian school doesn't give A+'s? My point being that the highest grade I can get as far as LSDAS (and by extension US News) is concerned is a 4.0/4.33

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

woozle wuzzle posted:

Each university is given a weighting by law school admissions, because not every 4.0 is created equal. So assuming your univeristy is big enough to merit calculating a rating, the law schools will weight your GPA. But each one will weight it differently with their own internal formulas, so it's hard to know what you'd face.

But screw GPA, try to figure out a way to claim you're an Alaskan native or something like that.

I'm a white South African, but I don't think I could claim African-Canadian status with a straight face. And Jews aren't exactly under-represented either.

Paramour posted:

Most US UG schools don't give an A+ either.

Really? Looking at HYS admissions, their 75th percentile GPAs are all above 4.0.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Do you have what it takes to be Top Associate?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/lgl/3313899550.html

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Is international trade regulation a practice area that actually exists/has a market? It seems pretty cool and every (Canadian) law school I've looked at seems to offer courses in it.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 12, 2012

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
:canada:

Two-tiered articling just passed in Ontario (and by extension the rest of the country thanks to mobility laws)... Not sure how I feel about this.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Jesus Hussein Obama you asked for literally 0 of those things.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
And the Cornell site gives you the full text.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I'm Canadian. I do not have any desire to attend the Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University, even if you are forging a new model for 21st century legal education at a fun location in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia located near exciting downtown Philadelphia, one of the nation's largest and most sophisticated legal markets. Stop emailing me. I don't care that it's free to apply online.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Got rejected out of management consulting. Law school it is!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
How else can I prove to everyone how goddamn smart and prestigious a person I am

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I write the LSAT this Saturday. Hopefully practice tests are actually indicative of something... Then again if I do poorly I won't be able to go to law school so it's win-win

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Canadian lawyers and students: Thoughts on McGill? It's my top choice and it's where I'm doing my undergrad. I should be eligible for that delicious QC residency by the time I start so my tuition will be peanuts (3.6k/yr). I know it has the layperson rep but what about among actual lawyers and employers? Also any thoughts on the student experience?

(It's obviously no guarantee I'll get in but my stats are very strong so I have as good a shot as anyone)

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 17, 2013

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Schitzo posted:

I'm a few years out, but my impression has always been that U of T grads can go anywhere in the country, but for most other schools your decision should take into account where you want to end up practicing.

The other practical concern is that each province has its own windows for hiring articling students. If I'm remembering right, Alberta was done before BC started, meaning that if your first choice was Vancouver you had to accept or decline in Alberta without knowing yet if you'd have any luck in BC. Who needs a safety net, anyways?

Also, would you be taking the dual degree?

I'm torn between staying in Montreal (which I've loved the last 3 years) and returning to Toronto (my home city), so McGill seems to fit right into that niche. As far as I know McGill is pretty well represented in Toronto firms. Also, I would have 0 debt, as opposed to $30k+ if I went to an Ontario school.

On your second point, I'm not sure how articling hiring windows have any relevance for schools. It seems like that problem would be the same wherever I go to school. Am I missing something?

McGill only offers a "trans-systemic" LLB/BCL in common and civil law, which takes 3.5 years instead of the usual 3.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Dallan Invictus posted:

Canada's law school system is pretty regional and flat, but McGill and Toronto are the prestige schools to the extent that we have them. (there might be a second tier equivalent to the bottom 10 of the US' T14, but its occupants are debatable which kind of defeats the purpose of a prestige ranking - also, regionalism complicates things here too)

If you have Quebec residency and get into McGill debt-free (and actually want to be a lawyer), for god's sake go there. Also Montreal is a much more awesome place to live than Toronto IMO, you may feel differently.

Hiring windows aren't really relevant for schools except maybe in the sense that a school in your target province might make the time around that province's hiring window a little less stressful work-wise, but this is a minor thing at best (if it ever even happens).

Any idea where you want to practice?

Yeah, I'm pretty much confirming McGill as my top choice just for the combination of finances and prestige, and it becomes a slam dunk when you factor in the location. I've been in Montreal for the last 3 years and it has been pretty great, though I see myself shooting for Bay Street down the line, either that or Montreal biglaw. Of course, with no debt it's not even all that terrible if I end up not wanting to do the corporate thing.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat

Zarkov Cortez posted:

How well do you speak French and would you be doing common law & civil (do you see a need for the civil degree)?

I speak French quite well (for an Anglo) and plan to do an intensive 3 month French course this summer followed by a full year of french in my last year of undergrad to bring my reading and writing back up to snuff. While I'm leaning towards returning to Ontario, I would also like the option to stay in Montreal, so the civil degree does give me something. McGill only offers the joint program so I'd have to study both traditions. It is also my pipe dream to clerk for the SCC, so both the bilingualism and trans-systemia of it all gives me a slight bump there - McGill accounts for like 20% of the SCC clerks every year.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
168. PT's were 166-172. Should be good for most Canadian schools with my GPA but we'll see.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Subject: Now that you have your LSAT score, it's time to decide.

Should I go for it guyz?

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Got my first acceptance today: University of Toronto! :canada:

Still holding out for McGill as it would literally be 1/8 the price and Montreal owns bones, but it's happening!!!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Delicious tears

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
McGill is the dream though, at $4500 per year my parents would pay for all of it~~~

U of T not so much (try 30k+books), but it has the PrEsTiGe factor

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
forry my bad

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Some legal drama up north!

http://lawstudents.ca/forums/topic/35688-heydary-group-implodes-kind-of/

quote:

"The financial problems came to light earlier this month, after Heydary Hamilton had been sent “a series of orders and endorsements” asking the firm to deliver $2.1 million of a $3.6-million settlement it was supposed to have been holding in trust for a couple since last April, according to the Law Society affidavit.

The couple had received a total $5.1 million in a settlement with a former business partner last February, some of which had already been handed over by Heydary Hamilton, said their lawyer, Ray Thapar.

But by October, the couple had hired Thapar, a commercial litigator, concerned that Heydary Hamilton wasn’t handing over more of their money when requested.

By Nov. 15, a court ordered that the firm produce a certified cheque for $2.1 million plus interest, as well as “written independent confirmation” of the remaining $1.5 million plus interest, and scheduled a contempt hearing for Nov. 20.

According to the Law Society affidavit, Heydary Hamilton had just $319,067.82 in trust as of Nov. 21, meaning the trust fund shortage is “well in excess of $3 million.”

Heydary, the father of four young children, is believed to have left for Abu Dhabi and then Iran the night of Nov. 15. A source told the Star Heydary’s wife has since been in touch with the firm, and even dropped in this week, to say her husband died on the weekend."

Their staff 1 month ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20131016180806/http://www.heydary.com/Litigation/lawyers/
Now: http://www.heydary.com/Litigation/lawyers/ (Javad Heydary is allegedly deceased)

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
:canada: post

Accepted into McGill law today! I will be attending in the fall. $4000 per year tuition seems like a pretty good deal, and means I won't need to take any loans. 4 more years in Montreal can't be bad either!

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Law is a noble profession.

quote:

Ben Edelman is an associate professor at Harvard Business School, where he teaches in the Negotiation, Organizations & Markets unit. Ran Duan manages The Baldwin Bar, located inside the Woburn location of Sichuan Garden, a Chinese restaurant founded by his parents. Last week, Edelman ordered what he thought was $53.35 worth of Chinese food from Sichuan Garden’s Brookline Village location. Edelman soon came to the horrifying realization that he had been overcharged. By a total of $4. If you’ve ever wondered what happens when a Harvard Business School professor thinks a family-run Chinese restaurant screwed him out of $4, you’re about to find out.

http://www.boston.com/food-dining/r...brXP/story.html

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
"Your restaurant overcharged me $4, not $3." Typing that must have been the pinnacle of his career.