Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Bittersweet Symphony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Family. Law.

quote:

1. Do nude pictures of parents help judges decide who should get custody?

2. A silly question?

3. Why then, on this motion for temporary custody, has the Applicant father attached to his affidavit a series of sexually explicit “selfies” of the mother, retrieved from her discarded cell phone?

4. And why did he attach dozens of screen shots of the mother “sexting” with another man, describing her sexual preferences in graphic detail?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Kalman posted:

That's an accurate reflection of my practice, but it's also an accurate reflection of being an IP lawyer - if you want a job, it's almost certainly going to involve patent law.

nthing this, I had broadly the same goal but it is alarmingly difficult (in my experience, which is Canadian so may differ) to get hired for IP law jobs without an undergraduate in some kind of STEM field (mostly because they all deal heavily with patent). I ended up landing in regulatory law, which is mostly tolerable because it's regulating a field I'm heavily interested in, but this isn't exactly a dependable plan.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Unfortunately, they were arguing Stein won.

Just like in EVE Online, not being there counts as winning.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

nm posted:

Actually, CA bar gives you a 6 months grace period with a $100 penalty. Also, state agencies are really bad with paying on time, but really good at talking their way out of paying a penalty on 100 attorneys.

Look at this guy whose agency actually pays his bar fees directly. (Ours makes us pay them and then reimburses us later and it is the STUPIDEST GODDAMNED THING.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

GET MONEY posted:

law seems at the very least less rote.

Everyone else has already feeding-frenzied the rest of your post but this in particular: lol just lol

That said, this very week I got to use the international law course I took in law school for the very first time in my job!

...to mercilessly dunk on the submission of some painfully earnest human rights activists because a) the treaty they're citing doesn't compel the relief they want, b) even if it did, the treaty is not self-executing and the legislature hasn't implemented it domestically, c) even if it had, their request was a loving terrible idea based on a totally incorrect reading of literally every legal instrument they cited.

Pandas: there's a reason they're going extinct.

vvvvvvvv

Alexeythegreat posted:

Edit: Unless you're litigating in a domestic court, in which case none of that poo poo applies

Domestic admin tribunal, yes.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 5, 2018