Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

i thought if you filed before the expiry, it tolled?

non-suit acts as if the case was never filed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

You're missing the point from way up there on your high horse.

"civil rights" comprise about .5% of every case. No one specializes in them, all attorneys generally know what they are, and they have no impact on regular practice or case management. Or its just a general tort claim, that any personal injury attorney anywhere can do.

Its like going to trade school to be a plumber and saying, "I want to be a 3/4 PVC Angle Joint Expert."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dude speaks the truth.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I know you're not supposed to be frustrated when the judge denies your MSJ.

But when opposing counsel stands up after the judge denies your motion, and says, " and as a matter of fact, your honor, I argued the case that Blarzgh is relying on, and he's correct about it's holding." I'm going to be frustrated.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I kind of can't believe the judge let it go on that long.

I was in dfw today for a cle. Did nothing for 6 hours, got paid, and free lunch. These are the little perks of my illustrious career.

The civil trials one? I had to bail on that because of scheduling. Was it any good?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

If whoever set it up last year doesn't chime in by tomorrow I'll set up a new one.

I'm in, if there's a spot

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

I lurk this thread out of morbid interest as I had a near-law experience a year ago. I really can't tell how much of the raw exasperation is exaggeration. Perhaps somebody has something nice to say about their vocation.

The raw exasperation is all true. Its just that when we express it, we aren't writing a breakdown of all our likes and dislikes - just expressing our momentary frustrations. There is, and will always be stress. Tally up the total dollars in liability that cross our desks every year, or the total number of years in prison/jail, and you realize the ocean of responsibility we're swimming in. Also, the constant reminder that the slightest mistake could cost you your livelihood can be paralyzing to some.

Occasionally, this responsibility swells and begins to crest, like when you have a huge hearing/trial/deadline/mistake begin to loom over you, and you start to paddle, inexorably towards the center to try and gain your footing, as the momentum begins to carry you forward. The swirling of everything all around you, and the shadow of "something I might have missed, or something else I could add" blocks out the sun. Then you find your footing (the case you're going to rely on, or the key evidence or argument) and you rush downward, as sure as you can be of your trajectory. As you speed through, you skim over little bumps, or hit smooth streaks or both, and in the moment your focus is so keenly on the path ahead, that the mountain of water behind you seems to be losing ground.

And then it all crashes down on you. You take a deep breath, check to see if any bones are broken, and then you let the water wash it all back out to sea.

Then its Tuesday.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I do around 1500 hr/year, but at smaller firms like mine, I hear that we spend alot more time trying to collect from clients than the big firm guys.

I actually have the highest effective rate percentage ($Collected/$Billed) at my firm.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've worked at a solo's firm (who I guess wasn't a solo anymore once I started working there) and the pay sucked, but the atmosphere and the hours were as laid back as it gets. There were a handful of late nights, and long road trips, but nothing any reasonable job wouldn't have.

Now, I work in a small firm with 10 - 15 attorneys. The money is better, and I probably work ~50 hours a week. The partners are awesome and fun, and really loving good at what they do. I manage everything within my sphere of influence.

In short, I love my job.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soylent Pudding posted:

For anyone reading this thread because they're thinking of applying to law school's this fall, the best advice (aside from don't go) was to go with the school that offered me a good scholarship over the slightly higher ranked one that didn't. Not having to worry about six figures of loans has been a huge benefit and given me a lot more flexibility with my future.

I turned down a full ride from a school ranked in the 90s to take what amounted to a 10% scholarship at a top 40 school and 6 figure debt.

It would have made absolutely no difference in my career path.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
110/70 bitches.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

semicolonsrock posted:

Oh yeah good point. I forgot that any advanced degree tends to reset you for management consulting.

I assume expert witness consulting might also like JDs? Tho I guess PHDs are really what they want.

What is "expert witness consulting"?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

To be a professional expert witness you have to actually be an expert in that field. It's more a side job than a goal, unless your goal is to be the guy who will say anything for a buck.

This was my point.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

I've sent invites to anyone who has given me an email, but it seems that some of them aren't being received. So if you've sent me one, and gotten no response, I didn't decide I don't like you ESPN is being a jerk :argh:

Can't it be both?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Left of the Dial posted:

Anyways, so I thought I'd be applying for law school this year after working as a paralegal for a while at a BigLaw firm.

Not after working in law. Not after reading this thread.

I told my fiancee a while ago that I was giving up the law school dream. She wondered why. I had her skim this thread. After a while, she gave me a big hug. I think I may have saved our relationship in the long-run.

Thanks, bitter law goons. Thank you so much.

This made me happier than anything I did at work today.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

Or in crayon.

I know this has been posted before, but God Bless Texas.

http://blog.simplejustice.us/2007/08/30/texas-where-decisions-are-decisions-and-lawyers-are-nervous/

Bradshaw v. Unity Marine Corp., 147 F. Supp. 2d 668 (S.D. Tex. 2001)

“The Court notes that this case involves two extremely likable lawyers, who have together delivered some of the most amateurish pleadings ever to cross the hallowed causeway into Galveston, an effort which leads the Court to surmise but one plausible explanation. Both attorneys have obviously entered into a secret pact-complete with hats, handshakes and cryptic words-to draft their pleadings entirely in crayon on the back sides of gravy-stained paper place mats. . . .

FN4. ...the Court cautions Plaintiff’s counsel not to run with a sharpened writing utensil in hand-he could put his eye out.

The whole thing is a wonderful read.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

My firm is a mid-size boutique that hasn't been exhibiting a lot of signs of "stability" and "good management" for the past several months. I guess I'm a third year now so I've gotten nibbles regarding lateral positions... how do you know when is the right time to make a move?

My "get the gently caress out of law practice" plan is probably to go to a consulting firm, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger on that just yet until I can pay down my loans a bit more.

My personal opinion, based on very limited experience: the time is always right for a lateral move, when your situation sucks. That said, the quality of your lateral options depend alot on portable clients. If you want to move somewhere that has stability, be prepared to pay for it with your personal space and freedom, if you aren't bringing your own clients.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

Is this true for midlevel associates? Maybe it's my practice area, but I haven't met any 3-5 year associates in this field that have a book of business.

It may be your practice, it may be your particular firm. I've got 4 years into this bitch, and two at my current firm, and I have enough portables to pay my salary and some change.

I worked for 2 weeks at a small small firm in Dallas that was absolute poo poo, and run miserably. About 4 days in, I went to the older of the 2 other associates and asked her, "Whats the deal with this place?"

Her response was something akin to, "Its poo poo, and the way they run it is poo poo. They(the husband/wife partners) do every initial consult, and every trial, and nothing else. They make sure that every client stays with them. I'm 50 years old, and they don't let me have a single portable client. I can't go anywhere."

It was really depressing.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
For all you morbid fuckers talking about the death penalty:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/death_row/dr_executed_offenders.html

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
They don't have clients to laugh at, yet.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Monday, I plan to shoot out an email to the partners in my firm, letting them know about my triggers, and asking them to; include trigger warnings in their emails to me.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Trigger Warning: Life

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

the JJ posted:

So I read the OP of this thread a few years back, decided not to do law, and closed the thread. Now I'm back and it sounds... not awful? :ohdear: But pretty bimodal, in that if it doesn't work out it really won't work out. I'm trying to ballpark my odds so I'll give this:

A pretty fresh undergrad degree, ~3.4 GPA, history at a good but not great private liberal arts (so, you know, already a little in the hole as far as $$ in value of degree goes.)
Edge case URM, in that I'm male and multi-racial White/Asian* but I pass white to purebloods on either side. Only other hapas and Hawaiis can really tell.
Can probably do very well on the LSATs, esp. if I grind it out.
Am currently working an okay job and can sock away some cash if neither my car nor body decide to demand huge repairs, and I'm one of the few not gently caress ups of my siblings/cousins so I might get some grandparent money if I go for lawing.

*Does Asian even count as URM anymore?

I guess I'm asking what sort of LSAT I'd want to shoot for (other than perfect), how much my minor URM helps (and maybe how to sell that) and lastly if there's been any changes in the field since the thread first went up in 2010.

If you're just the weighing your options, then take a stab at the LSAT. Also, find a job working, or interning at a local law firm to get a feel for what it's like.

But don't misconstrue the recent light-hearted nature of this thread as somehow law practice having gotten easier.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Infrastructure, client stream, portables, structure, guidance, development, assistance.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

SlothBear posted:

I get a sick thrill out of someone else paying my bar dues.

Being sent, all expenses paid, to a 3 day CLE.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

yronic heroism posted:

One of the Law Professor Stories from my 1L civpro was when the prof (or one of his friends, I forget) claimed to have been accosted by a [edit: homeless] former law student who was trying to play up his cred as a product of the ol' alma mater. To do this he started shouting the holding of Pennoyer v. Neff and was sheepishly rewarded with :20bux: in 80s money.

*has successfully forgotten Pennoyer, is not homeless*

They told us this happened; in Texas; in 2007.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Best Deposition Ever.

(Deponent is a dis-barred attorney.)

"In your 22 years of practice, have you ever sent a fax before?"

"I don't remember."

"Who is PERSON X on this wiring transaction page?"

"I dont know, do you have a drivers license or social security card?"

"Who is your brother?

"PERSON X."

"Who is PERSON Y?"

"I don't know. A notary, I guess."

"These tax filings show PERSON Y worked for your (solo) firm for 4 years. Do you recall having employed PERSON Y?"

"I don't recall."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Winner.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Perfectionism is importat.

Also, I would think that the kind of firm who is looking to hire a paralegal with your qualifications (little to no experience) understands that they are working with a blank slate. They know they want someone who isn't set in their own ways, and since every place has a different system, so they are probably looking for someone who is eager and willing to learn how they do it and how they want it done.

My paralegal says when she started out, she went to go work for a legal temp agency to get some experience.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Going to work on a Saturday is the best: no phone calls, no emails, no questions - no interruptions.

Get 8 hours worth of stuff done by 11:30, get ahead of the coming week. Tee time at 1:00, home for 6 hours of guilt-free college football.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fougera posted:

Friend of mine works in biglaw and was invited to a charity auction event with a few partners. He thought one of the partners was not donating, so he didn't to avoid any showmanship. Turns out the partner did. How does friend recover from failure?

Have him briefly explain that he supports cancer(or whatever it was for.), as a form of population control.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A Game of Chess posted:

I don't generally see the litigants unless they show up and try to force their way into our chambers (this only happened once, also with a sovereign citizen), so sadly, I don't know if he was wearing it.

Considering the level of detail his filings had (not just the seal, he also provided us with his incorporation paperwork...) it was likely.

I thought these people were a loving joke.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/september-2011/sovereign-citizens

"The FBI considers sovereign-citizen extremists as comprising a domestic terrorist movement... well-known members, such as Terry Nichols, who helped plan the Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, bombing." "Since 2000, lone-offender sovereign-citizen extremists have killed six law enforcement officers."

Described as a "nationwide movement [] fueled by the Internet."
FBI CAVEAT: "Some of their actions, although quirky, are not crimes."

I'm also now realizing this dude, who I definitely did not have a client consult with when I worked in College Station, was one of them:

I can only find a quote from a forum of the original story:

quote:

Police there found about 50 people in a field with Christmas lights, some playing beer pong, the report states. Rabe and his wife -- who Rabe called the emperor and empress of a separate country ("The Sovereign Nation of Eminent Domain") -- identified themselves as the landowners, police reported.

The woman, who accused the officer of trespassing, said the couple's last name was Rabe, but Dwight Rabe refused to provide his first name and said he didn't recognize the officer's authority, according to the report.

"The defendant stated I was under arrest and that he wanted to speak to the city manager and my supervisor," the officer, Jeremy Elmore, reported.

Elmore called for backup and told Rabe he was under arrest, leading to a scuffle after Rabe assumed a "fighting stance," Elmore wrote. The 5-foot-7-inch, 240-pound Rabe wrapped his legs around Elmore's right leg as they wrestled on the ground, and that's when another officer used the Taser, the report states.

He would later go on and attempt to kill is brother, and the Robertson County Sheriff with an axe handle and a rifle.

http://www.abc40.com/story/6299550/brazos-county-man-threatens-to-kill-robertson-county-sheriff

His attempt to appeal his conviction was... unsuccessful.

http://law.justia.com/cases/texas/first-court-of-appeals/2009/86405.html

"In his pro se response, appellant contends that the trial court failed to 'recognize [appellant's] right under the Vienna Convention to separate [his] property from the State of Texas and the United States of America..."

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Intermeddlers and Not a Law Pun watching Nick loving Folk kick away somebody's dreams tonight.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

MoFauxHawk posted:

Does anyone here know what the protocol for giving legal advice remotely to clients in California is if you're not licensed in California (but are licensed in another state)? In most states the process is pretty easy and you just get an attorney in that state to nominally supervise you, but I know California had that court case recently that seemed to make it harder. Asking for a friend!!

You'll get a better answer from the CA State Bar Lawyer's Hotline than you will from the internet.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
From the recent TX Bar O&G section newsletter:

RECENT TEXAS OIL AND GAS CASES
By Richard F. Brown

Transocean Offshore Deepwater Drilling, Inc. v. Eni U.S. Operating Co., Inc. applied admiralty law to interpret the risk of loss provisions in an offshore drilling contract after all drilling operations in the Gulf of Mexico were halted due to the unrelated blowout of BP’s Macondo Well.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

I don't know what it takes for a witness to be charged with perjury. Has anyone else ever seen anyone charged with perjury, ever?

Witnesses lie all the time, maybe more often than not. But I've seen some whopper lies get caught red-handed, and the judge just kind of scolds them and shakes his head. Today I saw a witness refuse to name a suspect on the stand, when asked why she refused she said "I spoke to her yesterday and she asked that I not name her". The judge then orders her to divulge the name, and she says "I can't remember". Judge scowls momentarily. What the gently caress. What does a brother gotta do to get a perjury charge around here? I'd settle for contempt of court and a 24 hour hold!

Can't threaten criminal charges to gain an advantage in a civil matter, holmes.

I'm surprised the bitch isn't in jail after doing that in open court, though.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Nothing groundbreaking. Just always staying on top of the latest Admiralty Law updates.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

In Texas we can. It just can't be *solely* for advantage in a civil matter.

Texas is awesome.

Texas is awesome.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I am not looking forward to going back to my firm and its Lexis-only set of research options. I swear people who use & like Lexis have Stockholm syndrome.

Lexis is Android to Westlaw's iOS - and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Ive been at my current job two years. I've tried a ton of family law and other civil cases to the bench, one case to a jury (no criminal), and argued three cases to courts of appeals. That said, I've topped out at my pay grade, and I hate my current job amd my current city.

I should be looking for new gigs now right?

What kind of portables do you have?