Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
About to finish up my first semester at CU Law, this poo poo is good so far aside from my back-end concerns for once I graduate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

I almost feel responsible for milgoons going to law school, but at least i know you're on gi bill/voc rehab instead of mortgaging your house to go to duquense or whatever.

How does CU rank? How's the grass in colorado? Also why the gently caress are you in law school?

CU is pretty great. The people are nice, the competitive atmosphere is collaborative, and I'm genuinely impressed with how smart and insightful all of my classmates are.

Boulder is a shitpit and I'm thinking about moving to Denver for year 2. CU is ranked in the low 30s and is relatively affordable compared to many other law schools. I'm in law school because I've been interested in it since I was a teen. It's actually pretty surprising the number of people in my class who gave up lucrative careers in other fields to pursue a legal education. There's also about 5 veterans in my class all of whom are attending on the GI bill

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My summer with the Colorado Public defenders office in the Denver/Boulder metro area -> upcoming

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Toona the Cat posted:

This job starts off great. You feel like you're making a difference. You even do a few suppression motions that someone else argues, and they win. They thank you for your help. You then get certified to do hearings under supervision. You don't win all that often, but you get thanked once in awhile. Then, you realize, after the 100th or so motion for bond reduction for a guy accused of ejaculating in his 5 year old step-child's mouth that maybe this isn't the line of work you want to do.

Popped a molly I'm sweatin'

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

mastershakeman posted:

Found out that at my doc review job a guy has been commuting from Madison to Chicago each day for the last few months, with a 10 month old at home

holy christ how is that even possible

people abandon their families all the time

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I chose the wrong time to get off ADHD medication considering every single member of my class I've spoken to is taking that poo poo 24/7

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
My full ride with expenses covered experience makes me feel pretty confident in my decision, but I didn't have a prior career.

I was a 3.4 average with a 167 LSAT. I am average/below average and get crushed by my peers with regards to the number of hours they put in to achieve. This semester I've realized I legitimately have to step up my game if I want to be competitive for cool jobs, and with only one not great semester behind me I am significantly behind the power curve and unlikely to move up. I know I won't crack top 25% simply because other people want that poo poo more than me, and everyone in my class is really loving smart.

So go for it! I'm sure you'll ease right into success and will have no regrets.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Oh boy, it's going to be a fun summer wondering if you did enough to put yourself in a position to get an offer from OCI. Have you nailed down this summer yet?

I went to law school with the intention of being a public defender. This summer I am working at a Colorado public defenders office.

I don't think I'm bitch made like toona but I guess we will see

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

nm posted:

How about bitcoins but for lawyers?

Come to california, as far as I know, we pay pds way more than elsewhere. More than enough to make up for col differences too.

If you're a 1l, try to do your summer here. Also no one but sf and santa clara counties give a poo poo about grades here.

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. I miss living by an ocean. I'll keep your recommendation in mind for next summer if my eyes are still a-wandering

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I wish I had a genius level IQ and a taste for fraud

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Goddamn yall are a testy bunch, once bitten twice shy huh?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Pook Good Mook posted:

I think I'm more stressed by inventing reasons why I'll be late.

Bring the office a snack and boom - you're not late

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
The Virgin President vs. the Chad Special investigator

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Where this thread be?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
An administrative law judge? Why don't you administer some justice on their asses?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Don't you have some friends you could entice with favorable judgements for free legal advice?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's ya boy, Nevvy Z, aka the sovereign citizen, aka character and finesse, aka the hearing officer who will get you off, aka P Barnes, aka the DEADLINE, aka DON'T TALK TO OPPOSING PARTIES (I don't know you Im just sitting here filing out my case info sheet with a crayon), and if you see me in Kroger, opening all the Oreo boxes looking for 5 college credits, respect my agency and approach me like an ursine mammal, aka Nevvy gonna pass the bar.

Haduken

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You are a CPA and have passed the bar? I thought that was a high demand set of certifications for city work?

I have exams next week. Right now I'm learning!

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 26, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: mortgaged house for nothing, abandoned food truck, and a former nuke wrapping up 1l.

Goonvets are doing a lot of good in the legal world.

In other news i’m interviewing next week for a position working in the state AG’s civil rights litigation departments.

There are 8 vets (I think) in my class with only 1 trying to go JAG. We make up more than 5% of the class!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Louisiana veteran attorneys are really breaking ground for the rest of us, it's inspiring.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I hear prison guards are bad, bad people.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah time to take a property exam!!!

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I want to sue schools for being snake oil salesmen w/r/t employability

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
No one at my law school will go snowboarding with me tomorrow to close out the season because we have a con law final tuesday afternoon and lawschool is about self-flagellation

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
You should get into the bribery consulting game to help others navigate the most efficient bribery trail possible, for a fee of course.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nice piece of fish posted:

Nice. Nice. (I just started reading the doc thread and I'm super jealous of their whole cameraderie thing, must be nice to have collegues you can stand because they aren't constantly trying to gently caress you over)

In cultural awareness news, I've started watching "Atlanta" and it's so far out of my culture zone I can't follow any of it for poo poo. I keep thinking "well, a trip to the social worker's office ought to fix that, and where's social housing assistance? this is preposterous!" but what really kinda blew my mind - and this isn't the only time - is that apparently, in america, you can just go up to a gun range/store, ask for a gun to go practice with, they give you a gun and ammo (no license required, no permits) and they allow you to go on the range and shoot target practice. It's hosed up.

You're positively green with envy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Mmmm my summer at the PDs office is going swimmingly so far. Looking forward to the next 2 years and ingratiating myself to the principals in the Colorado system

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yesterday I "represented" two clients at veteran's treatment court. I literally read a script with a list of charges. One guy had already been convicted and was serving probation, but couldn't get a job because he lost his license due to the court fees and FL's liberal license suspension policy. He'll hopefully have his license back by friday and should have gainful employment in the next month or so.

The other guy had 17 charges dating back over a decade for various DUIs and driving with a suspended/no license fines. That was a fun list to read off. This guy won't ever get a license again, but he'll get these charges out from over his head, out of collections, and can get on with life. Got to say poo poo in front of a judge and add a line to my resume, so good for that at least.

There's a job opening for post-conviction capital criminal proceedings second chair. Instead of common law habeas corpus, florida has government contracted people who handle all post-capital conviction proceedings. After any death penalty sentence, the case gets referred to these people for research into any appealable issue that could overturn the conviction or death sentence. Seems like it would be bother a horrible job and one that actually benefits society in a way. I'm sending in my resume because gently caress it might as well.

Post conviction work is super interesting in the sense that there are a number of discreet clocks operating at the same time any legal timers are counting down with regards to timeliness and the like. I've really enjoyed all the work I've done with the innocence project so far and am looking forward to getting back at it after the summer ends

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wait what is the consequence for a PD losing an ineffective assistance of counsel claim? Do they have to cough up the cost of that defense back to the PD system or something? Just had for their reputation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm just a school boy with a dream of big city litigating