Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Swingline posted:

Don't forget the opportunity cost of wasting three years of your life not working and coming out the other end less employable than when you started :science:

you mean three years of learning to think like a lawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Secrets that career services doesn't tell you: I googled the name of one of my interviewers and found out she was heavily involved in her church. I found a good bible verse and quoted it during the interview.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Do you all of IBRers who are married file your taxes married filing separately? I was always told it was an idiotic thing to do but leaving my wife's income out of the IBR calculation looks like it saves a few grand more than the tax hit.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Ersatz posted:

If the 57k cap goes through it's going to be brutal.

All of my friends who took government jobs did so with the understanding that forgiveness would apply to all of their debt, so they've only made minimum payments since graduation. They're now unemployable as private sector attorneys (it's highly unlikely, for example, that a patent firm would hire a patent examiner who has spent more than a few years post-graduation at the USPTO) and their jobs don't provide them with the income necessary to actually pay down $100-200k of debt at 7% interest.

Since this a WH proposal, can congressional democrats be expected to support it? If this passes, my friends are screwed. Maybe it's time for them to seek citizenship elsewhere.

Yeah this is me pretty much. drat it, this is not good. I pray it only applies to new borrowers.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

woozle wuzzle posted:

STATE BAR OF GEORGIA CLE Suicide Prevention Campaign: "How to Save a Life"

Statistics show that suicide is a growing problem among attorneys. Please be aware that suicide can invalidate many life insurance policies. Whatever meager funds remain of your estate will be seized by the federal government to pay your student loans. Your friends and family that loved you before law school will not only mourn your loss, but they will have to pass the hat to pay for your burial.

Die smart. Follow our simple tips to protect your assets and reduce the impact of your wasted life:

• Create a spendthrift trust to protect your savings from seizure. Consult a wills and trust attorney in your area.

• Avoid obvious suicide. Contracting a fatal illness is easier than you think. Death by cop is also popular. Speak to your criminal defendants to determine the easiest way to draw live fire, rather than a mere taser.

• The Georgia Rules of Professional Conduct requires lawyers to have a written succession plan in place in the event of their death. You have an ethical obligation to your clients. Your children are not clients for the purposes of this rule.

PLEASE, whatever you do, fill out the yellow comment card and drop it in the designated boxes as you leave. We seek to continually improve our programming for those that make it until next year. This concludes the "How to Save a Life" program. There is coffee out in the lobby, we will resume in 10 minutes.

thought this was 100% real until I got to "Die smart."

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I searched for legal jobs at some universities and one at the GW Office of General Counsel popped up and excited me. One requirement in the job description was that the applicant be someone graduating from GW Law in May 2014. The position was for one year. Wah wah.

Kind of funny to think that they are staffing their OGC with their law students who couldn't get jobs elsewhere.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I'm suing you guys for having a legal discussion over the letter rather than laughing at this girl who demanded it.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

ThirdPartyView posted:

Did he wrap things up nicely by publicly committing seppuku?

Perhaps it should just be legal to kill the person if they say such a thing in open court.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Your hilarious/ridiculous lawsuit of the day, complete with a slam on the plaintiff's attorney: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/08/nyregion/a-fan-sleeps-at-a-game-wakes-up-and-sues-baseball.html?ref=sports

quote:

The complaint was written in highly idiosyncratic and often ungrammatical English by Valentine A. Okwara, a lawyer from Jamaica, Queens, who was admitted to the bar in New York in 2013 and has a degree from the University of Buckingham in England, according to the Office of Court Administration.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Is there any super easy federal district court to be admitted into? For DC I have to be a DC bar member, or have to be a member of the district court of the state where I'm barred and where I practice. I practice in DC and am barred in Maryland. For Maryland you have to bring your sponsor to the admission ceremony, which is pretty stupid.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Kalman posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just waive into the DC bar (especially since you really have to, if you practice in DC...)?

I work for the federal government, so I just need to be barred anywhere. My work will only pay for one state's yearly renewal, and I'm a cheap rear end. I guess I could join DC and let Maryland lapse, as it doesn't have any sort of useful reciprocity anyways, and I don't really ever plan to practice there. We do have some litigation starting, and for filing I'd obviously need to be admitted. Oh well, I guess we can just use the other attorney's name to file everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Lawyers, folks: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...42a2_story.html

quote:

But the prosecutor said that this was no ordinary burglary — it was something more sordid: revenge. And that the alleged perpetrators were a pair of lawyers, one of whom was angry over her recent dismissal from Fisher’s Arlington County firm, Bean, Kinney & Korman.

Bizarrely, after the alleged suspects, Andrew and Alecia Schmuhl, fled, police found Andrew Schmuhl wearing only a diaper, authorities said. The Schmuhls, who are married, live in Springfield.

They both graduated from Valparaiso University Law School in 2009, the school said.

Go to Valpo, get life in prison for torture.