Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I got accepted to a local school here in Pittsburgh, Duquesne, which from what I understand places well regionally and has a good alumni network here in Western PA, which is where I want to stay and practice, preferably doing something in family law, veterans law, or litigation. I particularly don't care about being rich, and the scholarship they're offering me leaves me paying about $33-35K total for a JD. My house and cars are paid off, I don't owe on credit cards or other loans, and my undergrad was paid for by the GI Bill so I only have about $6K in student debt from there. I'm 33 and have a varied work history, and I sit on my county's Democratic committee so I have a pretty good network in place of people in politics, law, and the judiciary since our judges are all elected here in PA, and they all come to political events.

Am I doing this right? Is a relatively low ranked (compared nationally) school worth going to, even with a large scholarship offer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

yronic heroism posted:

Be clear with yourself on your objective. You say you want to practice law. You're sure you don't want to just to be in politics or government generally?

Yeah, I tried the politics thing and I absolutely hated it. I just keep my committee seat for the networking it allows. I also worked in government and I did six years in the Air Force, which I liked my job but wasn't a tremendous fan of government bureaucracy. The reason I want to focus on veterans law is because veterans courts are sprouting up all over Pennsylvania, and Duquesne has a strong veterans clinic. I came back from the military with PTSD and had substance abuse issues for years before cleaning my act up about 6 years ago. The only issue is that veterans law probably won't even be enough to pay what bills I do have.

And as for my scholarship, it's simply contingent upon being in good academic standing. As long as I pass, I keep the cash. Other schools offered more, but were tied to GPA which my pre-law advisor told me I should avoid like the plague.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Toona: are you ok with working 60 hours a week to earn 30,000 per year for the rest of your life? If so, go for it.

My first two years in the Air Force I copied Morse code for 8-12 hours a day for $1000/mo + room and board. :suicide:

So yeah, something in the ballpark of 40-60k/year...I can easily live with that. I get paid about $1600/mo now on the GI Bill and it takes care of all of my basic needs.

Toona the Cat fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 2, 2014

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Green Crayons posted:

Some folks in here practice family law. They will tell you how horrible it is.

Veterans law sounds cool, but I'm not sure what that is? You want to help vets navigate through the mess that is the VA? Not sure how big/viable of a practice that is.

"Litigation" is not really an area you practice in (beyond the litigation / corporate divide), but I'm guessing you mean you just want to be a general practitioner who does whatever walks through the front door, usually with an eye towards settlement upon threat of a jury trial? This is mostly a solo/small firm situation. That sounds most plausible of your options, and would include some sprinkling of family law and undoubtedly at least one veteran will walk into your office (though who knows for what).

There are a few solo/small firm practitioners who frequent this thread. I think there are some "day in the life of" testimonials in the OP, but asking what life is like might really give you a more solid idea as to just what you'd be getting into (I dunno what more specific questions you might have, but ask those too).

In Pennsylvania, they've set up veterans courts who deal only with first or second time offenders who happen to be veterans. It has a greater focus on rehabilitation, getting homeless vets off the streets who turn to crime, and those who came back with mental issues and such. It helps enroll them into VA programs and tries to cut down recidivism.

Yeah, you're spot on with the general practitioner aspect. Last semester I shadowed my university's general counsel, who worked in solo practice for 20 years. He said the first 15 were pretty awful with just trying to generate enough business from people who could actually pay. I'll be 37 when I finish law school so that's not exactly appealing, but I would be okay with being in a small firm. My pre-law advisor was a malpractice/injury lawyer here in Pittsburgh for 30 years, where he was a managing partner before retiring and handing his seat to his son and basically said as long as I don't gently caress law school up horribly, he has the right connections to get me started.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

CaptainScraps posted:

I have over $45,000 in outstanding invoices this year.

Good grief. How much of it do you actually expect to get back?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Soylent Pudding posted:

Toona, you sound like you've done your homework far better than most prospective students in this thread. Also congrats on getting a handle on your substance abuse issues. However, have you considered that lawyers are at very high risk for depression and substance abuse and what impact this might have on your preexisting issues?

I've had extremely good advisers. My entire department at my undergrad university is comprised of four professors, two of which are former attorneys. All of them wrote my letters of recommendation, and I've basically kept them in the loop at every step, asked their advice, and then acted on what they recommended. It's worked out well.

Yeah, I've strongly considered that. My problems with alcohol were before my daughter was born. After my daughter was born in 2009, and suffered a birth injury resulting in cerebral palsy, it made giving up the sauce a lot easier. I haven't really been much more of a light social drinker since she was born. Before that, at least a couple times a week I would sit at my desk and see how fast I could drink a fifth of something, in between other drinks.

Fuzzie Dunlop posted:

Whatever you do, you should negotiate for a higher scholarship offer from Duquesne. You should at least get them to match those higher offers. Depending on how close the numbers are, maybe push for a full-ride. Schedule an appointment with someone on the admissions staff, mention your other offers and tell them that finances are a concern for you and you want to know what they can offer. Then go from there. I think it's useful to meet in person for these as much as possible. They may say they'll have to wait until later in the cycle, like March or April to let you know, but just say fine, stick to your guns, and have a few follow-up meetings or phone calls every 2-3 weeks until you have an answer.

Do you really have a sense of what day to day life as an attorney, specifically at a solo practice or small firm? Following around the general counsel of a university is not a good picture of what life would be like, and as you said, even he didn't enjoy 3/4 of his time in private practice. It sounds like the thing you want to do most is help veterans. Particularly since you probably have military hiring preference, is there some job in federal or state government that may be a better fit?

Also, think about the 3 years of income you are giving up as a part of the cost. You didn't say what you do now for work, but 3 years of negative income is going to hurt. If you're making decent money, you may want to consider a part-time program to keep money flowing in, or take the opportunity to make more connections and work in a firm similar to where you want to end up.

Yes, I'm actually working with one of my professors on trying to get DU to up their ante by using other offers.

No, I can't say I do. I'm hoping to do so this spring. One of my neighbors is a tax attorney and basically said that whenever I want to, I can hang out in his office this spring. I have no interest in tax law, but I assume that'll give me at least some insight into how a small firm works. Right now, I'm unemployed. I'm living off of my GI Bill monthly stipend, and my wife's income. I'm in a good place financially, where even if I don't draw in a dollar from anywhere for the next few years, I can come out the other side relatively unscathed, and without raiding my portfolio or retirement accounts. And yes, over the next 10 months or so, I'm hoping to network as much as I humanly can.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Vox Nihili posted:

Have you seen this: http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/duquesne/2013/ It looks like about 50% of people graduating from that law school actually become lawyers.

Yes. Duquesne draws a lot of the "fresh-out-of-undergrad-oh-god-law-school-seems-like-a-good-option" type of student, and they're the go-to school in the region for people who simply think that law school is the way to go for them because they have no other ideas of what to do.

I fall into both of these categories slightly, but I come in with years of work experience, a solid network, and a nice scholarship. I realize I'm taking a bit of a chance on Duquesne and law school in general, but for the price of a medium SUV, that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

The Warszawa posted:

The college of magi should practice race-conscious affirmative action, elves are URM.

I don't know about the game you guys are talking about, but this is great.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Currently in a restaurant at big sur drinking a beer with my family. Big law can suck my nut bitches.

If it was Fernwood Bar and Grill...so was I.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Have any of you used Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to pay for law school? After I finish undergrad this spring, I'll still have about 3 months of benefits to use. Does anyone have an idea of if that'll pay for at least a year based on the theory that if you have even a day left, the VA is known to pay for an entire semester?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm using it now. Three months will probably only get you one semester. Do you have any service connected disability? If so, you may be eligible for vocational rehab. Voc rehab will pay for your school and then some and will provide a monthly stipend as well even though it is a bit less than the 9-11 BAH. Go down to GiP and check out the education resource thread. There's a lot of good info in there.

No, no disability.

ActusRhesus posted:

some states also let vets who are residents attend public universities for free. May be worth moving, working for a year to set up residency, and then doing that.

Intriguing. I may have to look into this.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I got tipped off to a firm looking for undergrad interns to do no-pay office bitch work, which I really wouldn't mind doing since it'll get me into an environment I want to end up in after law school (10 or so attorneys) and I'm financially well off enough to not worry about the not getting paid part. I realize I'm likely asking a stupid question here and my gut instinct is that the answer is "no," but should I include any information on my resume or cover letter about what law schools I got accepted to or any scholarship offers?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Arcturas posted:

Why would they care where you got accepted to law school? Or about your scholarship offers?

That said, being an intern there isn't a bad idea to see what lawyers actually do & scare yourself off from law school.

I have no idea. It seemed like a bad idea but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask those actually in the legal career field.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Have any of you used a home equity loan or homeowners line of credit versus student loans? I have above average credit, and from what I can tell, my interest rate would be about half of what it would be compared to student loans, and create a payment of $283 versus $742 on $75K borrowed over 15 years.

EDIT: I have no mortgage payment, car payment, or other credit debt, so it seems pretty manageable. My monthly expenses are basically food, gas, utilities, insurance, and I sock away about $400 a month away for property/school taxes.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Arcturas posted:

I had a post a few pages back about refinancing student loans. My conclusion was that if they're government student loans it's a bad idea to refi them because you lose the safety net that IBR/PAYE/etc provide you and over the lifetime of the loan don't lose all that much in the extra interest payments. You're basically paying extra interest for the insurance of knowing that, if you lose your job or take a big pay cut or get injured, etc., your loan payments go down to zero and you can still survive. Plus you have the 10 yr public interest option.

If you're really worried about the extra long-term interest you'll be paying at the higher student loan rates, you're better off just dumping more money in every month and paying the loan off more quickly.

How much are you thinking of refinancing? (Beware of upfront fees that eat everything you'd otherwise save in interest)

EDIT: Toona, are you thinking of paying off extant loans via a HELOC or refi? Or are you thinking of going to school and trying to figure out how to pay for it?

The latter. My house is paid off, which is why I figured that I can use that instead of loans. Honestly, I could make minimum wage and my wife's income can pay the bills and taxes.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Why on earth would anyone go into debt that much willingly? I mean, I'm looking at 50-70k total and thinking that's a lot.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You're also looking at giving up your paid for house to enter a dying profession.

Touché.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Seemed like a decent idea at the time.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Probad posted:

Why do people say this? Who are you people that have so much money that not only can you afford to dump it into law school (and then forgo three years of earnings and experience), but you can't think of anything better to do with it?

Excessive self-confidence, being naive, and telling one's self "I won't be like all those who did it and hate it, I'll like it, I'll get a job after graduation, wait and see!"

I just don't know what else to do. My college plan began with the intention of going to law school, and I can't fathom doing anything else.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Is it going to be awkward for me on admitted students day when I may be the oldest new student? Last year's class, the oldest 1L was 32, and I'm 33 now. To be fair, I didn't start undergrad until I was 30 and my entire social circle is basically 18-23 year old girls. (I go to a university that's 91% female.)

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Holy gently caress.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

onemillionzombies posted:

I thought you'd all like to know "Lawyer" made top 7 in Forbes' Highest Paying In-Demand Jobs In America.

Average base salary: $120,000
Number of job openings: 5,500

Nice, now I'm looking even more forward to admitted students day next month.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
This tangent is making me not look forward to legal writing, which I guess my law school is highly ranked at.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I mean, to be honest, it means nothing to me. I'm just used to short and to the point writing as a newspaper editor.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I never said I wanted to, all I asked was if borrowing about 15% of my equity was a good idea which was roundly panned and I discarded the idea.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Yes, Duquesne, about $7,500 a year after a non-GPA reliant scholarship.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

MoFauxHawk posted:

One thing I wasn't clear about--Are you going to work while you're at law school? Are you putting a career on hold that you can go back into, or are you leaving your career?

No, my wife's income is sufficient to where I don't have to work. I haven't worked since the summer of 2012, and have been using my GI Bill stipend and grants for spending money. My last real job was as a railroad clerk I could go back to if I desperately needed to.

BigHead posted:

What kind of scholarship? Does that $7,500 a year include lost wages?

We need more info to continue dissuading you.

I can't recall the exact name but it's a merit scholarship that's renewable as long as I maintain good academic standing which is defined as a 2.0 GPA.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Y'all toona has run the traps in the thread he's going to law school. The best we can do at this point is how he's successful and quote his posts when he's looking for work desperately in 3.5 years.

This, basically.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

mikeraskol posted:

This is more the quote that bothers me (unless its a joke and I missed it).

If you actually believe this it means you haven't done the right research going into this investment. However, it does appear that you will be fine given that scholarship.

My law school decision came down to either Duquesne or Pitt since I wanted to stay in Pittsburgh, and plan to stay here for the rest of my life. Duquesne offered more money and is a perfectly fine school for the local job market with an extensive alumni network, particularly judges since all of ours are elected and dear god do Pittsburghers love to vote for locals. I'm on my county's Democratic committee and I've spent a lot of time helping get them elected so I'm hoping that pays off in the long run. In fact I just went to a breakfast for a lawyer this morning who is running for judge and I agreed to pass around ballot petitions for him, and he's a Duquesne alum.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Artic Puma posted:

I lol'd super hard during the bar exam today because one question began with someone taking out a mortgage on their house for "graduate school" tuition and then having their house foreclosed upon. Don't go to law school Toona.

True story: after reading about IBR and how federal loans work, I finally got why I got dumped on pretty hard for what is a truly terrible idea.

Still going, though. :(

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

"27 posts in an hour? Maybe Toona reconsid- nope, just seltzer chat."

I just got emailed the agenda for admitted students day. I'm partly stoked and partly curious to see if there are any other 30-somethings starting this fall.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

tau posted:

Sounds intriguing. I'm in.

Sure.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Both bourbon and scotch are acceptable as long as you do them neat. :colbert:

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

SlothBear posted:

I use two drops of water from a mountain spring to unlock the flavor. :rubshands: Then I kill myself for being a pretentious dork.
There's nothing wrong with that at all. I once was at a bar here and a guy ordered a Laphroaig 25 year

On the rocks. :shepicide:

A part of my soul died.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

ActusRhesus posted:

I like chick drinks. Preferably fish bowl sized.

Primanti Brothers, the restaurant that puts fries and cole slaw on sandwiches and is featured in any sports broadcast in Pittsburgh ever, has a super fruity, super sweet rum-based drink that's blue called a Drunk Duck and comes with a mini-rubber duck in it. It's adorable yet tasty.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Would it be weird for me to cold call solo practitioners and/or small firms to ask if they're looking for summer help?

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I asked my rabbi for a list of lawyers who belong to the temple. That's where I'm starting.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I just got my financial aid letter. I wonder how many people take the maximum offered. :shepspends:

EDIT: My maximum possible debt would be a little over 93K, I'm probably looking at 61,500.

Toona the Cat fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 6, 2015

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

I guess I'm just naive about these kind of things. I've had one loan ever in my life and that was for my first house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I'm honestly not. :(