Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Two of my profs this semester were Yale SJDs and two were Yale JDs. The two SJDs were foreign born and educated.

So my advice is to go back in time and be born in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
A friend of a friend I had just met made that "oooh" sound and her eyes got wider when it came up that I was a law student and then everyone in the room made fun of her for it.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

JudicialRestraints posted:

I don't play with little imaginary robots

e: unless dreadnaughts count

no only little imaginary rules

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

SC Clerks are Candidates, the President is Jacob, the nomination process is the Island, the MiB are opposing party senators.

No, no, no...

Opposing counsels are Candidates, the act of granting certiorari is Jacob, the Supreme Court is the Island, the MiB is Scalia dissenting opinion.

No, no, no...

Personal judicial philosophies are Candidates, career politicians are Jacob, judicial review is the Island, the MiB is the non-legally educated populous.

No, no, no...

My LRW final was legit lost-themed, I had to represent Hugo Reyes, sole proprietor of Reyes of Light vs John Locke, representative of the Island Condominium Poject

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Elotana posted:

The one thing I could never figure out was how to close a sentence that ended both a quote and a parenthetical. (This is an example of a line like that, where you realize "hey, I don't know what the gently caress to do at the end here.").

Something about ."). didn't look right visually. Should I have ditched the outer period?

yeah, no outer period

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
These droids to Ben Kenobi for life, then to Luke and his heirs! It's our only hope!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
You probably didn't sound like you shared his delusionally high view of atlanta

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I live in Austin. You're all depressing yankees

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lmao Texas is not the south

Texas isn't the south, but Austin isn't really Texas, and you're still all Yankees

In other news, I think I got a public interest job doing admininistrative litigation. Actually a paid internship that might be a full time job when it's over. What are all of the things you know about admin lit?

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 13, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

joat mon posted:

Apparently you are, too.

You know it's weird, I say y'all as often as possible out loud, but I almost never type it. I think it's another way law school has ruined the way I think and write.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

gret posted:

Any state that has a Jefferson Davis statue on its state Capitol grounds qualifies as being in the south.

It's actually looking down at the Capitol from the top of the hill at the center of the university, but ya, that's embarrassing.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Lilosh posted:

If you're representing the agency, just show up, say "Chevron, bitches," open your briefcase, take a beer out of it, and then sit down and drink it.

Woo. I think like half of respondents default (especially the paraprofessionals [professionals whose license only requires a two-year degree]), too, so that's something to look forward to.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
On the topic of dodging student loan debt, I've been keeping this scheme in my back pocket:

I'm a Canadian/USA dual citizen, so I can move to Canada and stop paying my loans. They sue me in US court on the debt, and I don't appear/default. Then they have to sue me in Canadian court to enforce the foreign judgment. While student loan debt isn't dischargeable in US bankruptcy, the debt resulting from the Canadian court's judgment enforcing the USA judgments is dischargeable in Canadian bankruptcy.

Plan C is to somehow become permanently and severely disabled.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

gret posted:

Patent boutiques are full of conservatives for some reason.

Being a science major, an autist, and a libertarian are all highly correlated.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I had a professor in law school at Texas who was an Australian philosophy/law guy and he was awesome as heck and I got an A, so go for it I guess

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Prefer the Uniball Jetstreams to the Pilot G-2. Sorry I can't agree with your timekeeping recommendation Tau.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Roger_Mudd posted:

Uni-ball Signo Micro 207 or death!

I actually mostly use Fisher Space Pen refills in a custom-carved pen shell that I got as a gift. I also have a few vintage Parker fountain pens that are kind of fun (like $15-30ish each on eBay).

But if I went into a Staples tomorrow and had to buy a pen, it would be a Jetstream so deal w/ it

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

nm posted:

Private video conferencing with inmates at a jail 40 mi away. Truly we have entered the 21st century.

Can you look deep into their souls and decide if they really done it over Skype? Or is image fidelity too poor to carry guilt/innocence?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Con law is kind of interesting but the first half of 1L con law is so loving boring, holy poo poo I want the entire week we spent on Marbury back

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
The one thing I can say about my con law class is I started law school kind of conservative (const interp-wise, not socially/politically), but then I read a quote in my con law textbook from then-Justice T Marshall where he was like "people say I'm not true to the const, but its hard to be true to the original intent of a document that explicitly endorsed slavery, slave trade, death penalty, and non-universal suffrage" and I was like "whelp, :owned:"

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Say you destroyed them and then take them home and if it turns out you were supposed to destroy them then good and if you weren't then it's all good :cool:

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

HiddenReplaced posted:

What if I just took a trip to Vegas once a year and "lost" a lot of money?

Wouldn't you report your losses on your tax return for the AGI deduction? Technically you could have forgotten to because it isn't required, but it's hard to say you were sophisticated enough to do all that other poo poo and then forgot to claim your gambling losses.

edit: actually looked it up and you have to win money before you can write off any losses in the same year, so ya go for it.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
A guy in a lobster costume barged into my wills and estates class and proposed to his girlfriend. Don't go, no jobs, die in the arms of a lobsterman

Note: the person next to me in class was on FB at the time

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Dewey Ballantine has been teetering for ages. I used to work with some Dewey defectors who had left for stabler pastures.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
I would rather have comp time than more money, but I think my circumstances are special.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

entris posted:

I scanned this from an old book on probate practice:

That was written in 1957 or so - good to see that law schools haven't changed.

I started reading that just like any other book. I read the first few words of each line and waited to see a case or statute cite. About half way through, I figured I would juts download an outline

edit: can anyone share some flowcharts for wills and estates? stuff like intestate succession would be great.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 30, 2012

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

entris posted:

Are you going to be asked questions that assume the UPC intestate succession rules or your state's specific rules?

Texas is almost 100% UPC and I only really need close enough as its all multiple choice and I don't care if I get an A i just want to graduate next week

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Do they allow charitable donation in lieu of hours? 50 hours is worth at least $22,500 to a major firm and the really lol part is when some big firm attnys do their mandatory pro bono work, they are half assing it in a field where they have no experience.

I actually think all bars should require a week of pro bono for all attorneys not working at non-profits OR let you donate like $7k to your state's direct services fund (in Texas we mostly use IOLTA for funding grants to public interest stuff).

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
First time I ever opened my Wills textbook was about 1/3 of the way through the final today. I had the ballerest outline and it was all multiple choice so books :cool:

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
what's a counsel then? I'm skeptical about this whole "words" and "meanings" business

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

PatrickKilpatrick posted:

Exam on Monday morning, asked a friend for an outline today and he sent me over 150 pages. :doh: I can learn this in a day right?

Don't print all of the outline as one doc. Copy each section to its own word doc and give it a really descriptive one-line header that repeats on top of every page.

Print 2x pages per sheet (so two columns on each sheet, each column = a page in Word) - that means half as much page turning during the final. DO NOT print double-sided tho.

Staple each major section as its own packet, so you have 10 mini outlines. Generally, you can figure out the main issue each Q is getting at, and only having to pick up and thumb though the 5 relevant pages is nice.

Making your outline less cumbersome to find things in is almost as good as having read it beforehand.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
dude it's just a year, one extra year of loving life, making more money than you spend or owe, getting drunk, and not living under the oppressive reality that you could always have prepared for class a little better.

You live 80 years, Chicago can wait until 2013.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Just heard I get 3 months' funding from my law school to do public interest work in internship of my choice (litigating for my state government) during the period post bar exam but pre bar results. Hoping to bust my loving rear end off and get hired full-time once I'm licensed.

Can anyone please tell me what I should know about working the state? I worked for a different agency last fall and it was awesome as heck and dear god I hope all state agencies are awesome as heck.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

TheBestDeception posted:

This is exactly what I did post-graduation. I got hired though i'd say it was at least sonewhat luck - a position opened up in the division I was working in, so my supervisor was able to recommend me to the hiring team.

My advice is to try and not act like a stereotypical "state worker". If you dont have enough work to do, ask for more. Basically act professionally, like its a firm job, and you'll stand out.

Edit waaait a sec, youre in Austin? Are you coming to OAG?

I bought plat to message you but you don't have plat =-/

hit me up at holy.swiss.cheese@gmail.com

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Civil action filing fee: $350

Express service: $100

Hiring Patton Boggs, Williams & Connolly, and Howry, Breen & Herman to draft an 80 page complaint and TRO full of excruciating detail: $150,000+

Getting your case tossed within hours because you drew Sam Sparks: Priceless.
No joke, my evidence prof at UT spent a good part of the class distinguishing what would fly in an ordinary courtroom vs what kind of poo poo Sam Sparks just plain does not put up with.

He's a great judge, though. Despite having a reputation for being conservative, he issued an injunction against Texas's latest anti-abortion bill, but the 5th Circuit shot it down.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

So, today I got paid to take a restorative afternoon constitutional. Technically I was delivering a brief to a barrister's chambers on the other side of the CBD, but it was basically just a nice walk on an otherwise-sleepy afternoon. My walk cost the client $180.

Eight weeks as a part-time paralegal, and I'm starting to think that there's something quite deeply strange about this industry.

When I was a paralegal, we charged a client thousands of dollars for me to fly to Houston to collect some personal property he had forgotten in a hotel.

It's a funny old business.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Really, more than anything else, you exist to conspicuously remind everyone involved about the 5th and 6th Amendments so that the police don't go power tripping on us innocents

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

woozle wuzzle posted:

As much as bar study sucks, nailing an exam question is like a law orgasm.

I remember my brain being full to the brim, and one question was about the elements to establish paternity. I had the acronym down (BAD CAT or something: Birth certificate, Acknowledgement, Dna test, etc etc). Being able to spit it out on cue to nail the question was like "OOOOooooOoOOooooooh yeah!, chicka-chicka". You walk out of the exam utterly spent, ready for a cigarette regardless if you smoke.
In Texas you're a presumed dad if you marry the mom within 300 days of childbirth

I guess on the basis of "who else gonna marry a girl with a bunch of stretch marks?"

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Secured transactions is easy, just go with whoever perfected first, or, if there's any confusion as to who is perfected, go with whichever disposition is least equitable or satisfying to the parties involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Boosted_C5 posted:

Perfection by (1) Filing Financing Statement w/ VA SCC, (2) Possession/Control

Requirements of Security Agreement --> (1) Creditor gives Value, (2) Debtor has rights in collateral, (3) Debtor signs/authenticates written security agreement.

If I can at least regurgitate this crap maybe I'll get enough points to pass.

At least in Texas, you just have to write "files statement with appropriate recording office"

A big gotcha on our exam is that someone will have an interest in real property (e.g. fixtures) but records it with the Sec of State will have inferior claim re someone who files at the local county real estate office.