Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hey PCV guy: the answer to all your problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
To answer your question directly, it will have little bearing. 95% of the decision will be made purely on your LSAT vs. GPA matrix. URM also counts. Your career background will most likely not come into play unless you're on the bubble. That's what diospadre was saying. It doesn't matter to the school that this is unique. Your past work experience does not translate into reportable law school numbers -- LSAT/GPA/URM status does. And reportable law school numbers equate to USNWR rankings, which mean more money for the school and continued tenure for the administration.

The reason people are coming at you like this is that there are literally dozens of people in the previous iterations of this thread that have said the exact same thing as you. They're all unique special snowflakes, they don't want to hear whether law school is a good idea or not, they are gluttons for punishment, are multimillionaires and don't care about tuition, whatever. We've heard everything so far.

And then their 2L year, if not earlier, they're broken shells. EVERY LAST ONE. Then we have to try and get them to make the right decision and drop out. Some do and I cannot recall a single one who has been unhappy with the decision. Most don't, and show up later bitching and complaining about how there are no jobs, and they're now crippled for life with debt/overqualification/wasted years of their lives, they hate the practice, and wish they listened to us.

But of course, they didn't listen when we told them. The last thread was "Don't go, no jobs, die alone" and they still didn't listen. Because they were all unique special snowflakes. They literally said the same thing as you. You will not be different.

It's really OK. We beat you because we love you.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Seriously. An MPA or an international development degree is all you need. A law degree will hurt you for that sort of thing, because you won't be able to stop seeing all the blatantly illegal poo poo that your charity does.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Omerta posted:

Got a 117 on the MPRE. I've never been more ashamed of myself.

That's why you should take the MD bar (or Washington).

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

insanityv2 posted:

He should apply there. At least get something out of it.

I like how they spelled "education" wrong.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
"Don't go to law school" should apply to everyone who is not patent bar eligible. Not that it's a reason to go if you are, just that if you're not, it's yet ANOTHER reason NOT to go.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

insanityv2 posted:

I'm legit curious. Where did this "law school to do NGO foreign charity work" crap start?

Did it use to be a common thing in the past or what?

It doesn't hurt that a good chunk of foreign service officers are lawyers.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

Leif. fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 6, 2013

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

builds character posted:

3. Just wondering what happened to everyone who posted in this thread two/three years ago.

Living the dream (of not practicing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

WaveLength posted:

Canadian lawyers and students: Thoughts on McGill? It's my top choice and it's where I'm doing my undergrad. I should be eligible for that delicious QC residency by the time I start so my tuition will be peanuts (3.6k/yr). I know it has the layperson rep but what about among actual lawyers and employers? Also any thoughts on the student experience?

(It's obviously no guarantee I'll get in but my stats are very strong so I have as good a shot as anyone)

I've heard good things about McGill, and the LLM students from there that I've met have all been pretty on the ball.