Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

eckoelab posted:

this just came across my feed, though not sure if it has been posted, as it was from 2012. Pretty interesting recreate of an unreleased/untitled BoC track by Machinedrum
https://soundcloud.com/machinedrum/boc-untitled-machinedrum-edit

from the write up:
I've always been a massive fan of Boards of Canada, if its not obvious already! 10-11 years ago I stumbled upon a bootleg recording of one of their extremely rare live performances at the Warp 10 Birthday party in 1999. The closing tune at this show has always remained a mystery to me. As far as I know it has no title and has never been released. It's quite possibly one of my favorite things they have done and really is a shame it never came out. You can hear the original bootleg recording (quite bad quality) here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYEZueAelKc

Fast forward to Summer 2012... Since I am a huge nerd I decided to take this bootleg recording and re-produce it for fun. Using the recording I laid new drums over the existing drum patterns (almost 100% accurate to original), replayed some synth parts and the bassline. The only thing I didn't try to re-create was the original vocoder parts and some random samples so I used the bootleg recording for that. I was tempted to make a shorter 4-5 minute version but I figured I should preserve the piece in its intended length (although the length was most likely due to it being a live jam).

This is hot as hell, holy poo poo. Thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Richard Devine posted this track on his facebookpage because he really liked it. I was blown away. Solid acid melody with an incredible beat. Dope party-track:

https://soundcloud.com/auxar-netlabel/dirty-data-hairy-muff

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Clark's Winter Linn video was released a few days ago. Goes very nicely with the song. Vimeo link:
http://vimeo.com/111743736

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU7-yr70ntw

Autechre live performance from 94. Awesome versions of known songs, but the video itself is ace in such a 90s way.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Did anyone catch the Squarepusher live session on Benji Bs radio 1 show last night? gently caress. Me.

I was dreading another load of waffly live band albums, but he's kept very much along the lines of Ufabulum. Except the first track alone blows everything on that album out the water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04t6tfb

First track is at 2:36

It comes across as a refinement of Ufabulum. Both tracks are more organic, more stream-of-conciousness than Ufabulum, and so much more confident. Proper balls out stuff in the second track especially, like we haven't heard since Go Plastic. It's almost a rip off of Apjex Twin's 54 Cymru Beats, but I loving love that track, so I can forgive it!

Edit: definitely some Hello Everything in the first one.

Second track - I do sometimes wonder if Tom Jenkinson and Richard James are the same person.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 11, 2014

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

New Aphex Twin: https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames/diskhat-all-prepared1mixed-snr2mix

Clark remix from more than a year ago: https://soundcloud.com/throttleclark/nathan-fake-fentiger-clark

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Stream the entirety of the new Squarepusher album 'Damogen Furies': http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398358886/first-listen-squarepusher-damogen-furies?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music#playlist

I think tracks 4 and out are absolutely golden.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I think this is probably his most important work since Go Plastic. He's on fire right now.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
The new album absolutely hits the spot, but I may be little biased as I saw him live this past weekend. The tracks worked fantastically well in a live context, not to mention a handful of sweet older tracks (Steinbolt and Tetrasync with live bass jamming!).

If you get a chance to see his live show this time around do not hesitate.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Did this mix about a year ago, didn't realize there was a thread for music like this (I am working on a new live show that should roll out later this year). https://soundcloud.com/jonmitz/pathmaker

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Granbar posted:

Stream the entirety of the new Squarepusher album 'Damogen Furies': http://www.npr.org/2015/04/12/398358886/first-listen-squarepusher-damogen-furies?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=music#playlist

I think tracks 4 and out are absolutely golden.

Both the Baltangs are so great. Really didn't have much hope for the album when he first posted a snippet of it a bit ago, but I am on board now.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Rayc Fire2? It took a few listens, but I'm totally in love with it now. It's the first thing he's done since the 90s that genuinely sounds like nothing else. It's such a ballsy track.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I actually think the two singles 'Stor Eiglass' and 'Rayc Fire 2' are the worst tracks on the album, hah.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Granbar posted:

I actually think the two singles 'Stor Eiglass' and 'Rayc Fire 2' are the worst tracks on the album, hah.

I'm loving Stor Eiglass - it's halfway between a traditional squarepusher track and Friday I'm in Love.

Emetic Hustler
May 5, 2009

Not feeling the new Squarepusher at all. Wasn't such a big fan of Ufabulum either.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Any austin goons heading to the nosaj thing/ chris clark show tonight? I heard a lot of their stuff got burgled in houston a day ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm on my first listen of the new Squarepusher now and I'm reeeeeeeeally loving liking this a lot.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I am a music maker. Think I've posted some of my work in this thread before.

https://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/ragweed

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Squarepusher concert live stream thingy just started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR95E-7SHhY

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
I have been sitting with this mix by Kiyoko today and it is blowing my mind. That Synkro track is complete sex.
https://soundcloud.com/astrangelyisolatedplace/isolatedmix-51-kiyoko

track listing
01. Oh, Yoko – Seashore (Instrumental Ver.2)
02. Kiyoko – Open
03. Xela – Impulsive Behaviour
04. Jon Hopkins – Open Eye Signal (Asleep Version)
05. Kiyoko – Archway
06. Move D – Rote Zone
07. Christ. – Discombobulate
08. Ian Hawgood – A Film By The Remote Viewer
09. Dania Shapes – December Waiting Room
10. Sad City – You Will Soon Find That Life Is Wonderful
11. Synkro – VII
12. Ambulance – Hydro Lines
13. Tangerine Dream – Remote Viewing
14. Bering Strait – 505 S2000
15. Desolate – Imagination
16. Machinedrum – Vizion
17. Vatican Shadow – Whitewashed Compound Stealth Helicopter Crash
18. Kiyoko – Something To Think About
19. Muslimgauze – Old Arab Record Not On Compact Disc

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm on my first listen of the new Squarepusher now and I'm reeeeeeeeally loving liking this a lot.

Just listened for the first time. Astounding work. I don't know if it's this new software he's using or what, but he's really upped his game in terms of musical and sonic complexity. The only thing to match it recently in that respect is Syro. But Syro sounded like a guy who spent so much time playing with his toys he forgot it was meant to be fun. Damogen sounds like a guy who's at the top of his game.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
All the complextro guys out there who came up listening to Squarepusher have primed a generation of kids to actually hear and understand his stuff, and he cocks it up with a bad single.

Why in the sweet hell did Tom pick Rayc Fire 2 to do a vid for? It's not a good song at all. It's like a shrill baroque piece.
I've heard it twice and I'm done with it.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
It's a Bach organ piece. No dynamics whatsoever, just loud and complex note patterns. Admittedly not representative of the album, but it's big and dumb I love it.

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?

Emetic Hustler posted:

Not feeling the new Squarepusher at all. Wasn't such a big fan of Ufabulum either.

It seems like people find Squarepusher to be more "meh" than anything else nowadays. Same with Four Tet, however he still has a place in my heart because of Rounds.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006

AtomicRust posted:

It seems like people find Squarepusher to be more "meh" than anything else nowadays. Same with Four Tet, however he still has a place in my heart because of Rounds.

I can't for the life of me figure out why. Unless it's because he spends too much time nobbing about on bass guitar and robotic diversions.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

EvilGenius posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out why. Unless it's because he spends too much time nobbing about on bass guitar and robotic diversions.

My guess would be too many psychedelic drugs. his mind seems like it's getting frayed.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
I think he's become the hardest god damned worker in the business. I mean in the last 3 years he's produced two electronic albums, formed a band and done an album with them, written music to be played by robots, and completed the software used to finished his latest album.

Edit: Can we take a moment to reflect on the fact that these tracks were released 14 years apart.

Aphex Twin - St Michaels Mt

Squarepusher - Kwang Bass

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to catch up with RDJ.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 15, 2015

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
that comparison discredits Tom considering go plastic came out the same year as drukqs (earlier even)

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Fair point.

I just think it's funny how that track in particular, and the first Baltang tune are so reminiscent of Drukqs.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Oh, that debate, huh? Tom's better cause gently caress you, that's why. :colbert:

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
This gives me an idea for an Aphex vs Squarepusher mix.

Also reminds me that this beautiful thing exists:

AFX & Squarepusher - Freeman Hardy & Willis Acid

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

So I just found this thread, I haven't ever spent much time in NMD before. I've been having a good time going through this thread and playing everything. I'm still working through 2011, but I'm finding a lot of great music.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for some albums or mixes that feature heavy textural sub-bass. More ambient sub-bass than beats, not that it can't have some beats. Rumble that you can feel inside your gut, stuff that makes your chest tighten up.

e: this is from forever ago, but this album is good poo poo

dead horse posted:

In similar news, Kettel and Secede (same duo who made one of my favorite songs ever) released a new album a few weeks ago. It's pretty great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05UApr2UQHQ

taqueso fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 21, 2015

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
AUTECHRE
NORTH AMERICA TOUR
25/05/2015

SEPTEMBER
24 - Portland, OR @ Holocene
26 - Vancouver, BC @ Imperial
29 - Chicago, IL @ Metro

OCTOBER
1 - Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
2 - Montreal, QC @ Theatre Fairmount
3 - Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple
4 - Boston, MA @ Paradise
5 - Portsmouth, NH @ 3S Artspace
6 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
7 - Washington, DC @ U Street Music Hall
8 - Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel
9 - Atlanta, GA @ Terminal West
10 - Orlando, FL @ The Social
11 - Miami, FL @ Grand Central
13 - Austin, TX @ Vulcan Gas Company
15 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
16 - San Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine
17 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Assuming they never tour...is it worth going?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

bef posted:

Assuming they never tour...is it worth going?

The show they did ten years ago was mind blowing hypnotic. Closest analog I can think of would be gescom megamix x10 for an hour. Waves and waves of beats and tones washing over us.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
though on the flipside, their 2001 show was mindblowingly numb and devoid of any and all soul. It almost felt like they were just phoning it in, and pressing the sampler tracks on their computer for two hours. The show I saw in 2009 was a bit more aggro, almost to the point of wanting to punish the audience in some sadistic/masochistic love affair.

I love their music, but the live shows can be a wild mixed bag.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Oldstench posted:

AUTECHRE
NORTH AMERICA TOUR
25/05/2015

SEPTEMBER
24 - Portland, OR @ Holocene
26 - Vancouver, BC @ Imperial
29 - Chicago, IL @ Metro

OCTOBER
1 - Toronto, ON @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
2 - Montreal, QC @ Theatre Fairmount
3 - Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Masonic Temple
4 - Boston, MA @ Paradise
5 - Portsmouth, NH @ 3S Artspace
6 - Philadelphia, PA @ Union Transfer
7 - Washington, DC @ U Street Music Hall
8 - Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel
9 - Atlanta, GA @ Terminal West
10 - Orlando, FL @ The Social
11 - Miami, FL @ Grand Central
13 - Austin, TX @ Vulcan Gas Company
15 - Los Angeles, CA @ The Fonda Theatre
16 - San Francisco, CA @ Mezzanine
17 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater

Seattle date on the 25th too, at the Showbox. It's on their site, partially x'ed out?

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

eckoelab posted:

though on the flipside, their 2001 show was mindblowingly numb and devoid of any and all soul. It almost felt like they were just phoning it in, and pressing the sampler tracks on their computer for two hours. The show I saw in 2009 was a bit more aggro, almost to the point of wanting to punish the audience in some sadistic/masochistic love affair.

I love their music, but the live shows can be a wild mixed bag.

Yeah, I was at that show too..I think it was around a time where a lot of idm acts were trying to make the leap to doing live shows but didn't quite know how to pull it off.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

Autechresaint posted:

Yeah, I was at that show too..I think it was around a time where a lot of idm acts were trying to make the leap to doing live shows but didn't quite know how to pull it off.

Counterpoint: Autechre has been doing live shows since the early 90s. Whistle warning!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC7LGzCZ-q0

Haven't listened to any of their stuff in years but always wanted to catch one of their shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
yeah, their shows circa 1993 were most likely an entirely different beast. I would have loved to have seen them in those days, instead of the (mostly) crap "rave acts" that I happened to have caught back then.

edit: god.....the whistles.......

• Locked thread