Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

pants cat posted:

Ok Ramsey Bolton is scaring the poo poo out of me :ohdear:
Really? He's such a caricature that it's hard for me to even take seriously tbh.

(Not that I don't still feel bad for his victims, mind.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Ross posted:

It was compounded by the wait producing perhaps the worst book in the series so far as well.
"Worst book" in a series like this is an essentially meaningless designation since all entries are nothing less than stellar.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You know nothing, Jon Snow was actually one of the few GRRMism I actually liked. It was endearing. I liked that character and that part of the book(s) a lot.
That's what makes the other redhead saying it to him in ADWD such a heartwarming little throwback and a sign of her goodwill towards him, since she probably knows what it means to him from her flame visions.

(None of this is really much of a spoiler, but tagged anyway just to be safe.)

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Not when the depth of your POV is simply contradicting the opinion of the vast majority of posters there.

But, the prose man.

Sour grapes. It's undeniable that ADWD is a beautifully written work.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

ADWD, regarding Melisandre: For three books we were led to believe she's "bad"...her interactions with Jon Snow made her seem honestly "good". I know there's no black and white (except for the House of) in this series, but she is working her way into being more of a "good" character for me. :)
That's often what happens when pre-established characters become POV characters. Same goes for Cersei and Jaime, for example.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Also, redheads are his type. You just know Melisandre is going to tap that so hard if he survives til TWOW.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

TheJazzMess posted:

Arya and Samwell Tarly meet up and she ends up blind because she did something she wasn't supposed to.
Her blindness, like in any other soap opera in the world, is only temporary.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

The Renly/Loras relationship always struck me as one of the more romantic ones in the series, I got a bit misty-eyed when the latter flew into complete rage and went on a homicidal rampage after the former got killed and later fought in his armor. True love.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Wizard of Wang posted:

Wait, I'm confused. SOS comes in two books? The one I read had 1100+ pages and ended with (major spoiler) an Epilogue of Catelyn seemingly raised by the Red Priest condemning some random Frey to hang, also the regular book ended with Petyr Baelish pushing Lysa out of the moon door. Am I missing any story?
No, you read the entire thing.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I just noticed that the names of almost half of all the POV characters in AFFC start with the same letter...

Aeron
Areo
Arianne
Arya
Arys
Asha

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Veg posted:

I think if GRRM dies, the HBO show writers seem skilled enough to have a great ending.

INT. SOME TAVERN IN KING'S LANDING - NIGHTTIME

Stannis and Selyse are going over the menu, sitting in a booth surrounded by several obscure enemy soldiers and enjoying some onion rings. Don't Stop Believin' starts playing in the background. Outside, Shireen has some trouble parallel parking her horse at the curb. She heads inside as we close up on Stannis' face. Cut to black. The end.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Lannister Against York
Freudian slip or sly quip?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

ruddiger posted:

I just started it and the first chapter with Aeron Greyjoy owns so loving hard.

:black101:Sing to me in the language of leviathan, that I may know his name.:black101:

All the Greyjoys are fabulous tbh. They might be my favorite family in the series now that I think about it.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mr Crustacean posted:

Portcullis is a contemporary word for the wooden grille gate of a castle.
Also the thing Locke gets his legs impaled by down the hatch in Lost

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

I'm surprised capon threw people because its still used today. But I'm a fatty who loves food.
I'm a svelte vegan and I had no idea what it was

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

The weird thing is, he uses these words or phrases over and over in one book, then its gone.
You might even say he uses them much and more, and then little and less.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Mr. Wynand posted:

Did all the spoiler-y discussion threads get closed or do I just suck at searching? I just put down the last book and I desperately need to vent or at least read other people's venting.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

I think GRRM uses it specifically for father's brother to differentiate it from mother's brother, which is where he uses the standard "uncle". Or the other way 'round.
That's a pretty significant discovery, if true. Anyone here crazy/bored enough to go back and analyze all instances of both words for verification?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Now you, too, can own the Seastone Chair for your home and feel like a real Greyjoy!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

wayfinder posted:

As a pretty girl, she is pretty much unrelatable to this crowd :)
IKR, personally I can only relate to Jamie's chapters, being a dashing sex god myself

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

geeves posted:

There seems to be a few structures. One is a very belief based, especially with the Red Priests in making sacrifices (Death pays for Life). The other is in practice with spells - the making of Valyrian steel, the spells woven into the wall by the First Men and Children of the Forest, the spells of Storm's End, the pyromancers in ACoK, the Faceless Men face and whatever Marwyn is up to. As for the Others and Wights, I'm not sure where that falls, as well as the House of the Undying.

I don't think magic was ever gone - just dormant. The Pyromancers as Tyrion if he's knows if dragons are back because they're spells are suddenly more powerful than they were before.

Maybe the midi-chlorians were just reverse hibernating or something. In Westeros they only come out of hibernation when it gets colder.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

This series isn't about cartography.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

So this is a thing now

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

So I was a bit taken aback last night when I was watching 30 Rock and it made a factually accurate ASoIaF reference, with Liz Lemon as Daenerys and her high school stalker as Xaro Xhoan Daxos. Did anyone else watch the episode?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMydhMqWDQ

This is delightful.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kung Food posted:

Now I'm wondering what the family word are for House Caterpillar.

Around Thine Necks We Coil.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

kaworu posted:

I hope he gets raped to death by a hundred men while Tyrion gelds him slowly with red-hot pokers (as promised) and flays all the skin off his face while Cersei is made to watch with her eyes clamped open A Clockwork Orange-style. That would maybe start to satisfy me, if that happened to Joffrey.
This is a pretty disturbing thing to say about a thirteen-year-old boy.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Kung Food posted:

My prediction though is that Sansa will learn the game from him a little too well, end up out-maneuvering Littlefinger in his power grabs and emerge as a major player on the stage.
She'd need a brain transplant for that first.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Truly awesome map of the known world. Click for big.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Iron Throne made of dead trees :3:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

nwin posted:

I'm sorry, but what are you referring to here? I just finished ADWD but I read it spaced out so much that I can't recall this part.
I've answered this in the ADWD thread, because the answer contains spoilers for that book.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 8, 2012

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

And most people prefer lemoncakes.
Because the vitamin C helps prevent scurvy. :pseudo:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Also, I think the TV show has spoiled me in a different way. I feel a lot worse for Theon than I should, as he was a lot more sympathetic in the show. Reek, Reek, it rhymes with tweak(ed opinions)...
I don't think it depends on the show, actually. For me he was a monster in ACOK, but my heart still completely broke over his arc in ADWD all the same. GRRM just has a talent for making you root and feel for his initial villains (also see: Jaime and Cersei) in later books. I wouldn't even be surprised anymore if he pulled off something like that for the most irredeemable character in the series (Ramsay) in book 6 or 7, either.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Ya know, you can say you feel bad for Theon, but he fuckin' killed a couple innocent children and their mother. He also killed a bunch of other innocent people. Sure he was "caught between two worlds" because of his psycho viking family, but still, gently caress that guy.
His family is actually not an excuse, since Asha deliberately and persistently tried to talk him off of it and Balon gave him completely different instructions in the first place. It was all his own ambition and minority complex.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I was fully spoiled about said event before going into it, and *still* threw the book across the room and was left depressed for days after reading it. In this case it's all about the execution, that's what makes it so powerful.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Maarak posted:

Finish book 3 at least, maybe consult a guide for reading 4 and 5 at once so that their chapters line up better. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading about Dany and Cersai's chapters being much better when read one after the other to contrast their ruling styles.
That's true, Cersei's chapters are the best ones in AFFC by a country mile and among the greatest in the whole series. They're the only ones from that book I revisit frequently, when read in succession they make for a downright brilliant novella all on their own. Epic rivalry with the usurping Margaery, legal entanglements with the Faith, subsequent tragic downfall... It's such a thrilling and ingeniously plotted arc.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Around halfway through ADWD starts going beyond the timeline of AFFC.
Specifically in ADWD chapter 38, Areo Hotah's POV.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I've been reading up on the states of ancient Africa (out of a personal fascination with that area and era) and just found out that the original name of Carthage was Qart-ḥadašt, meaning New City in the ancient Phoenician language. I think it's safe to assume that that's where GRRM got the inspiration and name for the city of Qarth from.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Rickon Stark on Tumblr has been Gizooglifying GoT scenes and the results are just hysterical.

This one is my favorite. "I ain't clownin."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

So I'm currently rereading ADWD and just noticed that every Stark man who chops off someone's head as punishment for treason (acting as judge, jury and executioner) in one of the books, later gets killed himself in that same book.

Ned beheads Gared the deserter in AGOT, later gets beheaded himself.
Robb beheads Rickard Karstark in ASOS, later gets killed at the Red Wedding.
Jon beheads Janos Slynt in ADWD, later gets stabbed to death by some of his other underlings.

Going by this pattern, we can probably expect cannibal king Rickon to follow in their footsteps in ADOS (the next odd-numbered book) and suffer the same fate. Because that, as GRRM seems to be telling us, is what it means to be a Stark man and put in a leadership position. Behead and be dead.

• Locked thread