Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm about 1/4 through SoS and you guys were not kidding about Jon Snow and he knows nothing. It is sort of ruining my attention/mood in his chapters as I giggle to myself every time it comes up. So every page essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Veg posted:

The Jon liking her thing came out of nowhere. Like, she has hosed teeth and wide apart eyes yet Jon likes her?

He doesn't at first though. He wants nothing to do with her until Mance Rayder puts him in a situation where it's essentially gently caress Ygritte or be seen as a traitor. Jon thinks about how she's not attractive unless compared to the other wildling warriors, he's taken oaths, and a bunch of other hand wringing. It's only after they've been together for a little bit that he starts wanting to tell her what's up and then he jumps on a horse and rides away instead. [SOS.1]

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

BjornOfBorg posted:

E-reader might work but the only place I would actually be able to read it was on my computer (which sucks) or only my phone (which sucks worse).

I thought this myself but I'm currently reading Feast on my droid of an evening and it sucks far less than I imagined.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Conduit for Sale! posted:

It's being developed by Cyanide, who have done exactly nothing of interest.

They also made Game of Thrones: Genesis, which is not a positive.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I read the five books in a run and I really liked Feast. It also has some good commoner perspective of Westeros chapters as were discussed last page. A bunch of people come in to say they like it as often as the disdain for it is brought up so I wouldn't despair to much.

Edit: It's GRRM so maybe you should despair, but enjoy that despair none the less.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Hey Kung Food you probably want to spoiler the ending of storm in that quote.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Fiendish_Ghoul posted:

Especially in ADWD. Thanks to having the books on Kindle, I found that some of his pet phrases appear in ADWD several times more than in the other four books combined.

There is much and more of people complaining about this here, nuncle. But words are wind so your gripes are little and less for the thread than nipples on breastplate.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

I will also say that after Season 2 of GoT ends I have no idea what I am going to do with myself until Winds of Winter comes out Gurm dies and the story goes unfinished.

Well there's always the in development GoT RPG by the people who made the worlds most boring strategy game in the GoT universe.

Or the GoT browser based MMO that's coming out.

I don't know what I'm going to do either.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm looking forward to the show outpacing the books.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Feast for Crows is widely considered to be a slog but there are a good number of people that enjoy it. Some of the negative reaction to books Feast and Dance is born from the splitting of PoV characters between the books and then having to wait years and years for each to be written/released.

Feast was very enjoyable but I like world building and the way Martin gives you events and locations from multiple points of view with different or conflicting information. So chapters where characters wander around accomplishing little but thinking about a lot didn't bother me.

Dance is more of the same but Martin shits on a few storylines more aggressively.

tl;dr: Solid GoT/asoiaf books but if you go in expecting the pacing/feel of Storm of Swords you'll be disappointed.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

pakman posted:

I actually really liked these scenes of his. It was later in the book that I thought Tyrion got boring. The scene with the men jumping off the bridge in the mists looked so cool in my head. I imagined something like a misty swamp you see in horror movie, with ancient buildings sticking up out of the water everywhere.

I assumed he was talking the other ship. With the pig. Agreed the swamp stuff and directly pre and post that was p. good.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

pr0p posted:

I'm not long to join the rank of people waiting on George to loving write more ASOIAF books, so I'll be glad to have some similar fantasy.

Sooner than you think; they're pretty short.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I missed that same point, pr0p, until it was pointed out in the TV/IV bookreader thread for the show. That thread was actually really good for spoiler book discussion but got closed shortly after the season finished.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
If you do start from the start. There are more plot threads in the books and as of season 2 some changes such as characters being merged/replaced and timelines moved a little. If you start at book three you'll likely be a bit confused.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Joramun posted:

Rickon Stark on Tumblr has been Gizooglifying GoT scenes and the results are just hysterical.

This one is my favorite. "I ain't clownin."

Bit hit or miss but the hits are amazing. Finest playa I eva met syncs perfectly.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

webmeister posted:

And if you're anything like me, prepare to be amazed at how many subtexts, foreshadowings and implications you never noticed :)

Also some pro theories about some events that aren't what they at first seem and others that give surprising insight into what might happen in the next books such as the imminent Merman invasion and Jaqen being revealed to be Benjen Stark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm just wondering, will all this stuff be well-explained when it's more relevant?

Mostly yes. There are small and cool things that you will not pick up on unless you are keen eyed but it makes these books really, really enjoyable on a reread. I suggest you blaze through them, read a few of the more likely fan theories (Varys is a merman btw), and then give them a reread after a while.

I'm also going to suggest reading AFFC and ADWD together in the boiled leather or ball of beasts reading order. It combines them so the book is more chronological than geographical. It looses nothing and is surprisingly better paced than the published books, an easier and more enjoyable read for sure.

• Locked thread