Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I just got 10 rolls of film back that I'm trying to scan and my v500 has started giving me color banding:

My google-fu is failing and I can't figure out why it's suddenly doing this. Anyone seen this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I store my MF negatives in archival plastic sleeves placed into paper envelopes with relevant information (date taken, location, any special notes about processing) and placed into a photo box. Not the most efficient, but it's cheap and quick to look things up by date if you place them in the box chronologically.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Scan at 300 dpi for whatever your print target is.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Martytoof posted:

What do you guys use for dust control on your scanners?

I hate to make my scanner look like an old lady's couch by sealing it in plastic but at this point I think that might be the best solution. Getting some kind of plastic zippered bag to put over it.

You'll get dust on it anyways. Use a blower (rocket blower works nice) to blow dust off your negatives and get used to spotting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The most frustrating part of using multiple exposure scans is bumping your scanner slightly during one of the scans and loving the whole thing up.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Are you sure your holder didn't move?

My SF install used to do the same thing and I just "solved" it by scanning a larger film area & cropping afterwards.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

Maybe you could take three scans, with the iPad set to backlight the film with #FF0000, #00FF00, and #0000FF, respectively, and then composite them?

Yesssssss

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

XTimmy posted:

Thanks! Using a levels or curves control? Because I tried setting the black and white points for each channel in these and the end result is what you see in my post. Hard cyan highlights. I'm wondering if I'm just not playing enough.

Open curves, select the red channel. Check 'show clipping'. Drag the leftmost point towards the right until you see dots appear, then back off until the dots disappear. Repeat for the rightmost point, bringing it left. Switch to the green channel, repeat, blue channel, repeat. Enjoy.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Use the eyedropper tool and bring down the green channel where that green cast is. You don't need to do this in CMYK.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Dust by hand in PS/LR, scan with minimal settings (no b/w points, no inversion, no sharpening.) No reason to trust your scanning software.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I haven't found any increase in DR by setting the points in the scanning software. If you're going to have to edit the curves elsewhere you might as well just scan each negative the same (no points.)

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

notlodar posted:

For B&W it was just too drat annoying, even using the HDR setting, which is apparently the raw setting, I get a small amount of clipping.

Vuescan with .dngs is nice, I can scan only from the green channel and all the .dngs are scanned at the same exposure.

MrBlandAverage posted:

Scan as 16 bit positive.

Use curves.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

notlodar posted:

for b&w wet scanning it's the bees knees. you can always isolate the best color channel in photoshop but who wants to do that. :mmmsmug:

You give the most misleading and stupid advice in this thread. Please stop.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you really need to do wet scanning to counteract film curl you really must have serious issues in your developing workflow.

TIFF is "raw." DNG is just a wrapper around a TIFF.

There's no reason to use levels at all. Your inability to learn the tools in front of you is clearly a barrier you struggle to pass. Have you considered shooting digital?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

ansel autism's guide for notlodar's posting: don't.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/dng_spec_1.4.0.0.pdf

quote:

DNG is an extension of the TIFF 6.0 format, and is compatible with the TIFF-EP standard.

You don't know what you're talking about. Please stop posting.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What was garbage about it? Too noisy? Is it correcting for color as if it was C-41?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ferris Bueller posted:

Could you lay a strip of blank c41 film over the e6 that you're scanning to give it the orange mask to remove. Might cause an exposure problem but it may be a work around to the software automatically removing the orange mask that isn't there on e6.

That'd almost definitely move past the scanner's dmax

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Cool, thanks. Got a .sit file, what do I do with this?

That's old school. StuffIt Expander.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why not just press your negatives between something heavy for a few days to remove curl?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sell your DSLR and iPad and buy a scanner that won't clip your red channel.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

LargeHadron posted:

A fuckload of curves and even some split toning to neutralize color casts.

If your negative was scanned correctly you would only need minimal curves.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

Doing some research, it looks like a problem with the "calibration" area, on the bed. Usually a bit of dust or something. Can anyone confirm this?

I had a bad habit of blowing dust from my negatives towards the top (back) of the scanner - after a few dusty rolls I started to have this exact same issue. There's a small gap behind where the holders are and where the glass ends, that's the calibration area. Just make sure it's the cleanest part of your scanner.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I don't know of any flatbeds with anything but uncoated, plain glass.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Scan as 16-bit TIFF positive and invert and correct in Photoshop

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I do almost everything in PS but LR is still fantastic for the last leg - tiny color shifts, sharpening (I'm pretty sure LR uses sharpening in the L channel which is kind of a pain to do in photoshop quickly), non-destructive cropping, etc. It's not dirty~

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

Anyone got any tips for scanning Kodachrome in VueScan? Despite previewing well, the RAW files come out insanely dark.

Hope you're scanning 16 bit per channel ('48 bit') and setting your black and white points after scanning correctly

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Keep on.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

That looks like ICE, it sucks, don't use it, use a rocket blower and dust manually instead

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I've heard some things about just using pure naptha as mounting fluid.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The betterscanning holders are worthwhile if you suspect your stock film holders are not at the correct height.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

I am really curious to see and get some insight to the workflow that some of you guys have when processing color negatives. I feel like my scanner produces really dull scans and I always have to increase some combination of exposure, contrast, and saturation to get an image that I think looks decent. I always start out with a "raw" scan straight from the scanner, and I obviously follow the ~one true processing video~ that gets posted every month, but that alone is never enough. I wonder if it's just my scanner. Maybe the backlight is too dim? I dunno. I have the same problem across all different kinds of cameras and film brands. My scanner is an Epson 4870. Maybe I should just get a V600 instead.

I would love to see some of the original files straight out of the scanner from you guys as comparison.

Exposure/contrast/saturation adjustments are just a coverup for learning how to manipulate your curve more efficiently.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you scan as negative it'll always gently caress with your curves - that's why you should be scanning as positive.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fix your levels in Photoshop afterwards like any other scan

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Also scan in positive and invert in photoshop :shepface:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Your holder isn't in focus. Consider putting tiny pieces of paper underneath the feet to raise it slightly, if that makes it worse you likely need to start filing the edges to bring it down.

Hot tip: if the grain on the negative isn't in focus, the negative itself isn't in focus, regardless of the actual image.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's got a really great lo-fi aesthetic, perfect for a moody night in with your friends

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you put it on the glass you're going to get newton rings. If it happens to be sharper despite the rings, you know you'll need to shave it down. If shimming it up makes the image worse, consider shaving it down. It's an iterative process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Seriously. I'm pretty sure that action isn't for Ektar, either. There's also no reason to do the b/w points in an adjustment layer - anything you discard is data you'd be throwing away anyways

• Locked thread