Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been working in a call center for about 5 months answering billing and general questions for a satellite company. I find it so frustrating and stressful to enforce company policies that don't always make sense, and constantly breaking bad news to customers (since they always call about lost payments, cut off services, or wanting instant refunds) Plus all my stats are mediocre this week. Even when I feel like I fail most customers as far as actually "helping" them and they make me want to cry, the metrics are what decide whether I'm good or not. And everything is blah. I don't want to play any more.
:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fret logic posted:

I really really wish that handle time wasn't an issue because there are a few customers who are quite friendly and don't mind spending a long time on the phone shooting the poo poo with a stranger. I like those customers :)

I've sacrificed my handle time a couple times last week talking to awesome old ladies about their pets or their awesome island vacations or whatever. Figure if I'm not talking to someone pleasant for 30 minutes, I can argue/do real work for 30 minutes with a tough customer instead, then make it all up on big paperview nights selling boxing events every 50 seconds.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Loving Life Partner posted:

I've never worked call center before, and I had to leave early today because I'm sick. I've never called off work sick, I usually just soldier through it, but after 10 calls with multiple mutes for coughing, and my voice disappearing in the middle of important information, I knew I wasn't going to make it through another 75-80 calls.

What's the seasoned pro procedure? If you got any problem talking consider the day a lost cause? Ugh.

The call center where I work offers same day PTO if it's available. It's there if the site ends up over staffed and to help with vacation planning, and since it's planned time off, it doesn't work against you. I usually use it to take off after lunch if I feel too fed up with the job. Maybe your site has a set-up like that?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For stress toys, I have a little plastic thing, kind of like this that the company gave everyone for Christmas (with chocolate and a gift card, they aren't the problem at the call center). It's fun to twist around and break by squeezing. I also bite the sides of my thumbs till they hurt and bleed when on a particularly awful call, which is not so fun.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How does this tier 2 position work? At the call center I work at, everyone's in a team with 2 designated supervisors that are there to answer questions and other administrative things, and only take over calls if a customer demands to speak to them. I never speak to another agent over the phone; if I need help on a call, I ask in a chat program or put the customer on hold and ask someone in person.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

man thats gross posted:

I would do the repetition thing a lot too, depending on the customer. Some people are actually interested in having a reasonable conversation like adults, but when someone asks "But why x?" And you respond with "Because a, b, c, y and []z[/i]" and they reply with "Yeah but why x?", I'm done. Once it becomes clear they won't be satisfied until I basically tell them whatever they want to hear, despite the fact that what they want to hear is impossible, I don't even bother rephrasing anymore. I will repeat the same sentence verbatim until they give up.

I found the only drawback of this is if you don't completely understand the customer's question (or they are phrasing it poorly), making repeating yourself very pointless. Feel free to try to ask for clarification when they repeat the question

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone here work in a hospital switchboard? Is it hell or pretty good?
I knew someone who did that. She didn't have any complaints except the other person who manned the switchboard left it a mess and that it was a dead-end job.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

How dead-end?

Just in the sense that you can get a steady job operating the switchboard but there's no room to move up in the position

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't think I can do the hospital switchboard thing. They haven't even offered me a place yet, but thinking over the interview, the lady was clear that I would be working alone, no lunches, bathroom breaks if I couldn't hold it for eight hours, and I might work four days of graveyard and then a day or two of second shift and the next week could be first, who knows.

She took me in to the switchboard room too, and introduced me to a girl who was working away. Graveyard shift, so she started at 11:30pm. It was now nearly 10am and she was taking more calls since no one else had come in.

I seriously don't think I could do that.

Do you have a chance to ask the current switchboard operator how she liked it? Maybe the lady you were speaking with was exaggerating. I personally would have liked to try it, since it's something different than most jobs out there, but if you got feelings about it then it was probably best to walk away.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Customer of a disconnected account asked me to change or remove the credit card on file, because it belongs to her husband and she had to do a bunch of stuff that some judge ordered her to do regarding removing her husband's info from her accounts. Couldn't do it, probably because the account was disconnected. So customer ended the 30 minute call saying that if I read in the news tomorrow that some woman was killed by her husband in her city, it was probably her.

:(

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My center allows for 10 minutes of pre-phone time to get started. I believe that is because people were coming in early then demanding to be paid for that start-up time, and won. So, 10 free minutes of every shift to boot up my brand new computer. Not all call centers are created equal.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I quit my job this week. It was unexpected, so knowing that my final call was actually my final call was stolen from me. One of many regrets.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

I think we'd all like to hear more about how this happened so suddenly...
I'd been thinking about quitting seriously the week beforehand, and when my boss commented on my attitude, I was half embarrassed and half relieved to have a chance to bring it up. He got me off the phones at the end of my second call of the day, let me go home, and asked me to call him the next morning to let him know if I was coming back or not. So, it was unexpected that it happened that day, but not that it happened at all.

The call center I worked at wasn't too bad, but some recent changes to coaching and QA scoring bummed me out, and dealing with angry customers was something I had a hard time with right off the bat. During the days following my decision, I was feeling guilty, as if I could have stuck it out longer, but I'm enjoying some peaceful time off and looking for something else to do. Maybe if luck isn't with me, I'll be back there next year. I tried not to burn any bridges.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Only if you have a better job lined up before hand.
I kept the part-time job I had before joining the company, so I'll still having one or two hundred dollars a month to keep me afloat. Because I knew, a year ago, that it probably wasn't going to work out. I also have my family's support of my decision and savings to tide me over until the next big thing. I would not have quit if I had $0 in my bank account.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

JackRabbitStorm posted:

It is a lovely day in my call center.

My town got hit hard with storms last night, our entire service center of 1000 employees is shut down, except customer care.

We have no lights, no A/C, no elevators, the towns water is currently considered contaminated so we cant drink the water, and generators are running our computers and phones.

The storm caused water damage and partially flooded the center, we have wet carpets and we are on the 4th floor. It is loving humid as poo poo and 93 degrees in here.

Managements way to "help us"? Bring us sub sandwhiches, a minimal amount of bottled water, and allow us to wear shorts and sandals and t shirts.

Why do the phones never go down in situations like this?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NerdyNautilusGirl posted:

This, basically. I've had people tell me to kill myself, threaten to rape me, kill me, hurt me, wish that I would die in a car crash, hope that I get struck by lightening, hope that I get cancer/aids/hiv other horrible illness... and the best part is is that I have to sit there and listen to them and apologize that their television got turned off because they did not pay their bill in the 50 day time frame we give them.

Speaking of which, I wish people would learn that if you want to have a service, you need to pay for it. When my company notices that you are past due, we sent out calls, letters, emails, and notices saying "Hey! You have X days until you are shut off! If you can make a minimum payment of Y by Z date, you can keep your service!"

The best part? You have 60 full days before disconnect. That's two loving months. You have your initial due date (let's say the 5th.) You have a ten day grace period past that where you can get in your payment if poo poo happens. We don't fine you for this because hey, whatevs. From there, you have 50 loving days to get in your payment before disconnect. That's a full two loving months.

I still get people asking for extensions. "But I can't afford to pay!" Well, then, I guess you probably shouldn't have four cable boxes with three dvrs and the boosted internet speed and two separate phone lines at 15 bucks a pop. "I'm a student! I need the internet!" Oh, then I can get you set up with JUST the internet, then, at a low 50 bucks a month. "But I don't want to give up my cable." Well, then maybe we could drop some of the extras off your account, like the aforementioned extra three cable boxes and dvrs and phones. "No, I want to keep what I have. Can't you just lower the price for me?" NO. No I can't. And even if I could, I won't. You're a cock mongler. Learn to budget.

Ugh. The tv company I worked at... I was in billing, this was every call. If I ever go back there (extremely unlikely) I'm going to be the meanest, by-the-books, uncaring rep in the center.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Console Parade posted:

:argh: <screaming>

Were they screaming words or just screaming to make noise?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Chicken Doodle posted:

Ahhh so THIS is what call centre fuckery is like.

Two monitors for everyone! Oh and we're going to change the way we take calls to a lovely new system! What's that? Our metrics are DOWN?! WELL WE'LL JUST HAVE TO TAKE YOUR MONITORS AWAY IF YOU DON'T SHAPE UP!

I can see clearly now, the bullshit's gone. Oh god I hope I get into that new department so I don't have to deal with this past June. :smithicide:

Take your MONITORS away?

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cuntvalet posted:

Has anybody worked Quality Assurance in a call centre before?

I never worked QA, but I feel I have a good sense of what they did at the center I worked at. Each agent was subjected to having 3 random calls analyzed by a QA person per month. Tons of random call were recorded, and QA would pick one from a big list, usually between 3 and 20 minutes. Then they would listen to them and write up an oh-so-helpful report to send off to the agent and their lead. No real-time jacking-in. I personally hated receiving QA reports. Thanks for telling me my screw-ups after the fact. QA at my place was largely regarded as a huge step up from agent. They even had private desks with tall cubicle walls! Monday through Friday hours! Wowie!

I also came into contact with the FISH! thing toward the end of my employment. I was feeling incredibly frustrated and upset with my job and being told it was up to me to make myself happy about getting yelled at for customers' inability to pay or read bills made me even more resistant to being happy about it.

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

supkirbs posted:

but I still am harassed almost daily about the time I am clocked out into 'personal'.

If you get two regular 15-minute breaks and the issue your supe is concerned about is time off the phone, can you shorten those breaks to 10 minutes each or so to accommodate the extra time you take off the phone?

I would take advantage of this occasionally when I worked at a call center. It kept my availability in the green. I rarely adhere to my break times anyway (ie if break was scheduled 1-1:15 I'd go at 1:20-1:35 if I felt like it) and no one seemed to care about that as much. 10 min break followed by a 4 min bathroom break/scream and cry break later? That was ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dustbin
Jun 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Long ago when I worked at a call center, other agents would sometimes be put in charge of accepting supervisor calls, which could never be declined. So yeah. Even if the "supervisor" was just another perfectly capable agent, talking to someone who was supposedly in charge was enough for most customers.

If their account needed something a supe only had access to, they were always willing to make the change for the agents if we asked on hold or after the call.