Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OK now I feel genuinely bad.

sasquatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's strange, the more I think about this game's plot the more I dislike it. It's like an even more depressing GTAIV, in that terrible poo poo keeps happening for no reason and then the ending is one big borderline nonsensical gently caress-you.

But on the other hand: riding a horse around sweeping vistas, spending the better part of an hour loving around playing poker, recovering a stolen safe from a group of bandits only to immediately turn around and steal that poo poo yourself, all of that is great, and I enjoyed it to the point that the idea of going back and doing an 'evil' playthrough (dark horse, primarily bartering and living out of Thieves' Landing, constantly on the run from the law, murdering all the strangers who do nothing but waste your goddamn time) holds great appeal, and it would at least give an excuse for the ending playing out the way it does. The idea of playing Jack as a good person in contrast to everyone else also seems amusing, but I never really play games after the ending, for whatever reason, even if most of my fun comes from loving around, completing challenges, etc.

Having said that, is Undead Nightmare worth it? It's only like $7.49 on the PSN right now, but I worry when they say that bullets are scarce (melee is garbage in Rockstar games), stuff like shops as well as the majority of outfits and items have been taken out, and that there are only a handful of actual story missions.

Also, while I'm posting this, LA Noire is also $7.49. Worth it? I heard the sandbox aspect was basically tacked on and the detective stuff is basically babby's first police procedural drama.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I picked up Undead Nightmare at full price on the 360 and loved it.

It's campy, it's interesting, and you get a unicorn. How often can you say you got to ride a unicorn while gunning down zombies?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, while I'm posting this, LA Noire is also $7.49. Worth it? I heard the sandbox aspect was basically tacked on and the detective stuff is basically babby's first police procedural drama.

I'd say it's worth that. It's a poorly designed game, but it's pretty and nails the LA Confidential feel pretty well. It's overly long, though, and is a hell of a one trick pony. It'll probably be fun to play through a few cases, but it wore out it's welcome with me long before it was finished.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Having said that, is Undead Nightmare worth it? It's only like $7.49 on the PSN right now, but I worry when they say that bullets are scarce (melee is garbage in Rockstar games), stuff like shops as well as the majority of outfits and items have been taken out, and that there are only a handful of actual story missions.
It's a lot of fun if you can stand the bugs. Bullets aren't really scarce if you stick to deadeye headshots only and remember to loot any bodies marked by an x on the map - also be generous when saving towns because it makes it a shitload easier, and you generally get back double in the chests what you donated anyway. For $7, definitely, just be prepared for bugs.

Wolfsheim posted:

The interrogation options make no sense and sometimes don't tie in to your line of inquiry. Even if you've pieced it together in your head don't bother accusing unless you found evidence. I failed a whole bunch of inquiries because I assumed the 'tells' that they were lying would actually be subtle, but they may as well pull out a pen and write 'I am looking away and swallowing nervously because I am guilty as gently caress' across their forehead.

It also has some of the worst Rockstar checkpoints I've ever seen in a game. It made an ok film (gangster squad) but it kind of only works game-wise if you imagine it as a 1940s GTAV mod. For $7, maybe.

---

e: to ask my own question, was there ever a fix for the headless zombies glitch for 360? It seems to be happening constantly and it's loving up my town rescues.

Also is the sepulchro fight supposed to be this long? I've gone through about 100 repeater shots, 60 shotgun shells and maybe 40 pistol rounds. People are saying online it takes longer than most but I feel like I've been at it for about 15 minutes now, this is getting ridiculous.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 9, 2014

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The interrogation options make no sense and sometimes don't tie in to your line of inquiry. Even if you've pieced it together in your head don't bother accusing unless you found evidence. I failed a whole bunch of inquiries because I assumed the 'tells' that they were lying would actually be subtle, but they may as well pull out a pen and write 'I am looking away and swallowing nervously because I am guilty as gently caress' across their forehead.

It also has some of the worst Rockstar checkpoints I've ever seen in a game. It made an ok film (gangster squad) but it kind of only works game-wise if you imagine it as a 1940s GTAV mod. For $7, maybe.

I had a completely different experience with that game. All I wanted it to be was a 1940's GTA mod even though I knew it was more about detective work, but it wasn't at all. I hated trying to figure out the interrogation conversations and slowly looking around sites for clues when all I wanted to do was get in car chases. It was the first video game I've ever returned, which isn't to say it was bad, just that I didn't enjoy it and amazon had a nice buy-back policy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you want a 1940s GTA you might be better off trying Mafia 2. It spills over into the 50s and 60s more, but it has more game mechanics to play with and its story works better.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I picked up Undead Nightmare at full price on the 360 and loved it.

It's campy, it's interesting, and you get a unicorn. How often can you say you got to ride a unicorn while gunning down zombies?

It's really a shame nobody has figured out how to put some of the Undead Nightmare stuff in the regular game. I want my not neutered shotguns from the zombie horde mode and flaming horse all the time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's a lot of fun if you can stand the bugs. Bullets aren't really scarce if you stick to deadeye headshots only and remember to loot any bodies marked by an x on the map - also be generous when saving towns because it makes it a shitload easier, and you generally get back double in the chests what you donated anyway. For $7, definitely, just be prepared for bugs.

Wow, you were not kidding about bugs. In the opening cutscene where Uncle attacks them, he was completely invisible, and when the gameplay started and I was supposed to shoot him, he was a zombie cougar. Then in the following cutscene both Abigail and Jack's models had been replaced by the same random prostitute, who proceeded to call out for it's mother and then bite itself. I was laughing so hard I had to turn it off.

No wonder this game never got a PC port.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Those weren't bugs.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
LA Noire makes more sense when you find out that the interrogation options were originally meant to be Coax (rather than "Truth"), Force (rather than "Doubt") and Accuse of Lying (which remained the same).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Chalets the Baka posted:

Those weren't bugs.

Apparently it's game-breaking because you have to lasso Abigail immediately afterwards, and she too is a zombie cougar. The only solution I can find online is to reinstall and not download the latest patch. Rockstar :argh:

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Wow, you were not kidding about bugs. In the opening cutscene where Uncle attacks them, he was completely invisible, and when the gameplay started and I was supposed to shoot him, he was a zombie cougar. Then in the following cutscene both Abigail and Jack's models had been replaced by the same random prostitute, who proceeded to call out for it's mother and then bite itself. I was laughing so hard I had to turn it off.

No wonder this game never got a PC port.

The code is held together with Blu-tack and kind thoughts.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Corzaa posted:

With all the talk of the glitches people ran into, I feel like it was a bug not to run into any in my own game. I would've loved to have seen animal people :(

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Now I feel like I missed out. The only issue I had with Undead on ps3 at launch was the game crashed once when I got to that mexico mission where it plays the song, and after a reboot it worked fine. Did they just add in a bunch of bugs by patching it later? If patches added in a dozen or so bugs did they at least fix that one crash area?

Also I didn't get L.A. Noire because I wanted a 1940's GTA, I just wanted any GTA. Horsey 1800's GTA, 1940's GTA, 2500 space gta, just give me more GTA rockstar. Can't some pc mod scene people find some way of at least porting the RDR map into gta4 or eventually gta5's engine on pc? I don't care if it's not canon that I'm driving an Infernus around a forest, just do it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I got really optimistic the other day after finding out that downloading the hunters & traders DLC from the psn / xbl causes bugs if you have the undead nightmare GOTY edition. Deleted it, cleared my cache, restarted, reinstalled.

It worked for all of half an hour before I got another plague of headless villagers. Still, at least I managed to clear loving sepulchro.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Corzaa posted:

West Dickens' Miracle Blu-tack!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I've been tinkering with Undead Nightmare, and it's pretty amusing, though without all the VAs returning you'd swear it was just someone's elaborate mod. Instead of replacing things like stores and the honor system they just stripped them out entirely, the cutscenes are brief and the actual missions scarce, and the way you get new weapons inserted into your inventory after saving a town (without even having to go back and at least hear some token "thanks for saving us, take this" from a survivor) just reeks of a rushed production. Still, it's fun enough, and there are a few little touches that I enjoy, like your safehouse at Bonnie's ranch being the jail cell and some of John's quips when he's looting the undead. I'm only a small ways into it, but it's kinda funny that so far it seems much more optimistic than the actual ending to the game, with stuff like John's heartfelt speech to his zombified family coming off ridiculous and lighthearted being in start contrast to the constant misery of the original RDR.

Quick question regarding it, though; I found my first Horse of the Apocalypse just outside Bonnie's ranch, but do the others spawn in specific areas or is it random? I'd hate to be done with the game and not even two horses deep.

I also started a new game of the original RDR just to see how well the PSN version runs, and wow did I forget what a rough start it is; a twenty-minute cutscene, another ten-minute glorified cutscene (holding a button down to keep your horse galloping while two characters talk doesn't actually count as gameplay), and then three or four tutorial missions after that. I don't think I've ever played a game with a slower start than that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Quick question regarding it, though; I found my first Horse of the Apocalypse just outside Bonnie's ranch, but do the others spawn in specific areas or is it random? I'd hate to be done with the game and not even two horses deep.
It's randomish. There are locations they commonly spawn in, but they can spawn in others. Their location resets when you quit the game though, so go to the following locations and if they're not there, quit and restart.

Google 'RDR [war/famine/pestilence/death] location' and they'll tell you the most common spots.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I also started a new game of the original RDR just to see how well the PSN version runs, and wow did I forget what a rough start it is; a twenty-minute cutscene, another ten-minute glorified cutscene (holding a button down to keep your horse galloping while two characters talk doesn't actually count as gameplay), and then three or four tutorial missions after that. I don't think I've ever played a game with a slower start than that.

The game really picks up once you get a Lasso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game with a slower start than that.
Never play JRPGs.

• Locked thread