Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stoicinema posted:

That's more of a nuisance than anything. Apart from that I am quite satisfied with the overall package!

Don't forget that if you do happen to paint a target you didn't intend, clicking the stick again will cancel out of Dead Eye without shooting anyone.

Last night I found out that Rio del Lobo is aptly named. Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Utritum posted:

The random encounter generator seems to be spitting out pretty dodgy results at times.

I remember ruining into a lone cougar around Fort Mercer, but just a few seconds after I killed and skinned it, another one respawned just a few meters away, and I killed and skinned that one too and got the same result.

I ran out of medicine after the process had repeated itself about 8 times, and then I saw yet another one and decided it was time to get the hell out of there.

One of the things that may be influencing things like this (and the endless waves of wolves I had earlier today) is that apparently skinned corpses will attract local predators, which does make sense. On the other hand, it would also be pretty easy to get stuck in a skin corpse -> attract predators -> kill predators -> skin corpse loop.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Morter posted:

Jesus Christ, how many loving dudes are gonna get the rosary before I do?! :argh:

It does seem like it would be pretty easy to miss the nun who brings you the rosary (although I didn't :smug:) She came running up saying "At last I have found you" just as I was riding out of town; if I had been doing the horsey equivalent of flooring it, it would have been easy to miss her or run her over as I think some people have done.

What we don't seem to know yet is whether or not the nun tries again if you miss the delivery when she appears (or perhaps accidentally grievously murder her).

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fracturus Cactusmas posted:

Which nuns are these? the ones in chuparosa or the ones in armadillo?

If you mean the rosary-delivering nun, she found me in Armadillo but I don't think it's fixed.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Robot Hobo posted:

I always seem to lose horses in Thieves' Landing.

I thought I was so smart one time. I walked just past the water hazards on foot, to be sure I had a clear path from there out of town. Then I whistled for my horse and felt so sure I had figured it all out. I watched as my horse perked up his ears, took off running toward me... and within five steps he had plowed directly into the only body of water that was still even vaguely nearby.

If they release a horse with inflatable pool floaties on each leg as DLC, I promise I'll buy it immediately.

I seem to have a horse that likes to play hide and seek.

I'll get off to loot a body or skin an animal, going only a couple steps away. Pan the camera around, no sign of the horse. Finally whistle for him, and he emerges from some nearby bushes or something.

Goddamnit horse, this is no time for your games!

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
After I finished that quest and walked out of the cabin we were both attacked by wolves and he ran off into the distance screaming "Oh Jimminy!"

Also I am unable to resist pushing the guys who sit on the upper deck railing of the saloon in Armadillo over the edge. You don't lose any honour for it so I can only assume the gods approve.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 16:00 on May 31, 2010

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Slappy Moose posted:

Now I gotta spend forever either looking for a same breed horse, or I gotta buy a deed for that breed when I can find one.

Herbert Mooooooooooooooooooooooooon sells them in Armadillo. It's the Kentucky Saddler.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

uncle jimbo posted:

I wound up having to duel this guy when he caught me cheating at poker. "The only thing I hate more than the railroads and the jews is CHEATERS!"

(I only disarmed him, of course)

Oh jesus that's awesome. I may have to get caught cheating just to have this experience.

I screwed up the Herbert Moon Robbery mission not long ago because when I came galloping back into town with the miscreant we sort of piled right into Herbert. I left the hogtied villain in his shop in case he wanted to kick him later, after he picked himself up out of the mud.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

roffle posted:

no, I'm done with the story and on one of the stranger missions where you have to get a white stallion for this fruitcake so he'll free the Chinese guy. Except he could have just been my 1,594th kill. The storyline aside, I wish they didn't make it so all the people you do missions for are so goddamned dislikable, I wish there were more like that old guy in Mexico

Although they obviously laid on the bleakness with a pretty heavy trowel I actually love the fact that Marston just seems so exhaustedly resigned to all the poo poo he encounters.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Holy Cheese posted:

Did anyone else get the feeling that the NPC's were a bit more stiff compared to GTA 4? As in you can't really keep walking into the same person to get them to start a fist fight first, I could do that pretty easily in GTA 4. That is actually one thing I miss. Also less dialogue in general.

Pushing them down works some of the time, although a good number of ordinary town folks will just run screaming off into the beyond. Fist fighting is one of the few things I think this game did not do real well, since there doesn't seem to be a way to end it aside from shooting the guy.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Martytoof posted:

Is there a way to skip the "loot body" and "skin animal" animations? Sometimes when I do these the game doesn't bother showing the animation. Not sure if that's a glitch or not. It's not a huge problem, but when you're trying to clean up after a battle and have to watch John bend over 45 times it gets a little lame.

If there isn't room for the animation to happen then it skips it. This can happen if the body is right up against a rock or something but the reliable way to do it is using your horse, as was said.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Martytoof posted:

I would rather have done all of Fort Mercer with my own gun instead of the gatling gun 'nuff said. When you come back to do it as a hideout, you fight just as many guys but it's much more fun and satisfying.

That thing was no fun to use.

For me the gatling gun was fun for the first ten seconds or so just for the HOLYSHIT factor and watching it chew through scenery. The first sequence with it could definitely have been shorter though and the second was goofy.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Fuzz posted:

Of course he is. You know how many people are shocked and surprised to find out that the actor's name is not actually Kevin Butler, and that he is, in fact, just some actor and not actually a random employee of Sony's? You'd think that would be common sense, but no, many pubbies on PSN who are shocked and confused when I point that out would disagree with you.

So wait a minute, are you telling me that 'VP of First Person Shooters' and 'VP of Enough is Enough' are not real jobs at Sony??

Also they seem to have taken the offending post down.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The only bugs I have had so far were riding the lift down into the mines at Gaptooth Breach - John fell on his back and wiggled around grunting all the way down. I guess the game thought he was falling but it seemed like maybe he had ants in his pants.

The second bug occurred when I jumped off a train and fell through the world. That one required a reload.

I'm hoping it won't degenerate into more and more serious bugs but maybe they'll be hilarious at least.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Martytoof posted:

Right as soon as everyone is done with the cinematic "i'm staring your down" posturing part of the duel and the camera switches back to behind your character, move your right stick down so your hand is closer to your gun. As soon as you see DRAW you hit L2 and move your gun to what you want to hit. The hardest part is timing the crosshairs with R2. It's infinitely easier if you just target the hand because it seems to be a win like 99/100 times.

e: PS3 controls

For some of the scripted duels though you can't do a disarm and will have to kill the bastard.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
John Marston is either supremely confident, pretty stupid, or both. Right at the beginning he strolls up to Fort Mercer all by himself (getting shot for his trouble) but how incredibly obvious was it that De Santa was about to betray him in 'Cowards Die Many Times'? 'No really, the men you are looking for are inside this building. Go on in.' I was expecting to get locked in and have the building set on fire but really as soon as Allende said 'Take care of Senor Marston' the forecast went to Heavy Screwjob with Scattered Backstabbing and a chance of Douchebaggery. It was a little frustrating watching Marston stroll into the incredibly obvious trap, but I reckon that's life on the digital frontier.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I had the greatest random NPC encounter while I was playing earlier this evening. I was near Fort Mercer huntinggetting killed by packs of Cougars, when I heard German voices off a path near one of the cliffs. Wandered a bit closer thinking it was an odd place for NPCs to be camping, and saw that it was 3 guys with a shitload of TNT. Then I heard one of them mention something about "...only one little spark" then KABOOM. Giant explosion.

Laughed my arse off.

I recently ran across a couple of shifty looking dudes with a rickety wagon laden with dynamite that they wanted me to 'help deliver', by which they meant driving into town no doubt while being attacked by waves of bandits.

I politely declined.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Gazmachine posted:

Duelling is really getting on my nerves. I want to disarm people as part of doing an honourable thing so I can get the achievement that is full honour and full fame simultaneously so I can get on with being an rear end. Is there no way to just tag one shot and be done? I want one shot to take the gun out the other guy's hand.

Also, does that achievement require you to have full / empty honour and full fame at the same time, or could you do it separately?

If you hit the hand correctly it takes the shot right away and ends the duel.

While the achievement requires maxed honour and fame at the same time, it is the same achievement to have maximum negative honour and fame so you could have just taken the 'being an rear end' route to the goal instead.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Feenix posted:

I'm confused. I'm not finished with the game yet, but I DID do this mission. A long talky cutscene played out, I never saw a way to interrupt it. Is it just one of those things I would have had to have guessed to try?

Yeah if something else is supposed to happen then it didn't happen for me either. Just yakkety yak and then i was dumped in Escalera. There was some crazy random sniper shooting at me that needed a good killin' though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

sirbeefalot posted:

There is nothing I didn't like about chasing down (late Mexico I guess?) Escuella. He takes off on a horse, I shoot the horses legs out from under him. I ride up, disarm him and shoot him in the foot to slow him down, get off my horse to smack him around a little before lassoing him, and he loving grabs my horse and makes another break for it, so I murder my own horse and bring that fucker in.

Being able to (accurately) pop kneecaps and feet to slow people down is probably the most satisfying part of this game so far.

Why didn't you just lasso him off the back of the horse? Especially when it was your horse.

I had thought that would be a nonlethal way of solving the 'Senor he has stolen my wagon' mission but although you can lasso the driver and yank him right off the back of the wagon, he gets up shooting. Gonna have to try it with a stagecoach driver though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The Wronged Woman stranger mission just provided further support for my John Marston: Not Rocket Scientist theory.

I just had a hilarious bounty hunt out at Aurora Basin where as the gang was running towards me they were mostly getting torn apart by a pack of wolves. The wolves of justice.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

sirbeefalot posted:

That one was just kind of dumb all around. I was carrying thousands of dollars at that point. Why did I have to go get $200 from the guy? Here's $500, you skank, if you'll just leave everyone alone.

There were a few that were dumb that way, by the time I got to them. Like in Lights Camera Action I could probably just have bought the deed for the guy instead of going through the Liar's Dice rigamarole. Also the nun donation in I Know You was pretty minimal compared to the massive bankroll John was carting around by that point.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

AxeManiac posted:

Also in the stranger mission near the end of the game where the woman tricks you into killing that dude she said knocked her up, can you do anything besides kill the guy? I was trying for a disarm, but looks like I couldn't

No that seems to be one of the ones where you can't do the disarm and have to kill the guy. It would make sense if you could disarm him and scare him into forking over the cash but that would derail the rest of the story I guess.

I was sort of expecting there to be more than one way of resolving the missions (especially after the first one with the Marshal where you can either kill the guy or take him alive) but I guess this isn't a 'moral choices' game as much as it is an 'experience our story' game, which is cool even if Marston is a big dope some of the time.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Obsurveyor posted:

Not sure if it is golden guns or just general bugginess but after every major cutscene, my game always switches back to my golden Cattle Revolver and golden repeater. It is really, really annoying because it taints my saves and takes me awhile to recognize that poo poo is wrong.

In a lot (all?) of the cutscenes John is wearing the two starter guns, presumably so they didn't have to create various versions of the scenes with all the potential weaponry. I'm not sure why that means you come out of the cutscene with those weapons equipped though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Every time I decide I'm going to stop worrying about random encounters so I can hurry up and finish the main plot they find a way to hook me back in.

"Senor! It is God's wagon that this man has stolen!"

Well heck. It just ain't right to be stealing God's wagon.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Smoke604 posted:

You can indeed. I got the two in around ten minutes hanging around Fort Mercer area. Shoot cougar in arse twice with a pistol, cougar runs off, chase down it with a little drive by knifing. Job done.

Repeater Carbine works well for this too. One shot (not in the head) puts the cougar into retreat mode, then you can run up and stab it.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Dan Didio posted:

Goddamn, right after I go and sell the first three at Thieves Landing and all.

Oh well, thanks.

It actually depends on your Honor, apparently. If you have a high honor you get a better deal everywhere other than Thieves Landing, where they don't like your goody two shoes ways. If you have a low Honor you get the better deals at Thieves Landing

e: Badgers :argh:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Argali posted:

For the life of me, I can't get Gordo the Boar to spawn in singleplayer. Argh.

Sort of along those lines, I found Khan the legendary jaguar to be kind of a disappointment, danger-wise. No worse than a regular cougar.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stare-Out posted:

Is this the disarm thing? I did it by going to the saloon in Thieves' Landing and taking cover behind the counter. From there I shot a guy in the leg which made all the patrons go berserk and pull out their guns. Then I just went into dead-eye and disarmed all of them.

I did it more or less the same way except in the saloon at Armadillo. If you pull a gun all the Walton Gang guys will jump up and go for their guns as well, and it's pretty easy to disarm them. If that isn't 6 then wait a second because most of them have a rifle they'll go far as well. Once you get the challenge then just waste 'em all, you won't lose honor (if that is a concern) because they're all a bunch of no good sidewindin' hoods. Moonshine is also helpful.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Argumentable posted:

Oh, here I was under the impression that I had to attack them completely with the knife

No, just the killing blow. Same deal when you have to knife a bear.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

rSkan posted:

Tall Trees is the worst. They might as well as called it Paranoia Mountain. All I'm trying to do is to pick some very pretty flowers for my survivalist challenge. Everytime I spot these flowers, I have to do several 360 views around my immediate area before I jump off the horse, run to the flowers, and then run for my life back to my horse before those grizzly bears appear out of nowhere and murder me.

The worst is when they trick me by sending out their sacrificial bait of a bear that stands out in the open. It's like they draw straws or something and the loser must sacrifice himself by standing out in some clearing, waiting for lone John Marston to blow his brains out so the rest of them can spring their trap. So sure enough, I end up blowing him away and then run up to skin him, thinking that was a "a little toooo easy", and BAM! 100 grizzlies run out of the woods and eat me alive!

Yeah they did that poo poo to me as well. I killed the one bear and was trying to skin it when another one came boiling out of the woods and attacked. Survived the first attack but before the 'getting up' animation was even completely finished, yet another bear swooped in to make sure of the kill.

No idea how they ever got that trading post built, they must be paying protection to the bears.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

muscles like this? posted:

I was just thinking, what was the point of the binoculars? You only get them near the end of the game and they're never really useful then but then I can't think of any time they'd be useful earlier either.

I guess they could be useful for scoping out the terrain before you go in to capture a bounty or something but honestly I keep forgetting I have the things.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, I brought this up earlier, and I guess it's open for interpretation... but why would you think that the Strange Man is God when the Devil would be so much cooler and more in keeping with the mood and themes of the game?

I assumed it was God because he seems so quietly pissed about John's past and is offering a chance (a last chance?) to do better. I think you can read it a bunch of ways though and none of them are necessarily right.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Pretty much all the Stranger missions are undermining or inverting expected elements of romance and the Old West. In Flowers for a Lady you are sort of expecting that this is a lovely salt of the earth couple dedicated to each other and living a simple life out on the frontier. Then it turns out one of them is dead (I guess we decided not to spoiler this a while ago?) and the adorable old dude is another crazy after all.

It was sort of heavy handed but it's just part of the theme they have going through the whole game.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Finished the game today. I swear I could have taken those soldiers! Goddamn scripted deaths! I had a vat of Tonic and a sack of Vittles! Oh well, I thought it was a good ending to a great game.

I still wish the game paused or at least slowed down when you brought up the weapon selecter wheel thing though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Does anyone else hog-tie and then toss the petty criminals onto the train tracks?

I stole this idea from another goon in this thread but if you're feeling vindictive, when you get those criminals who try to steal your horse, hogtie them and put them on the back of a wild horse. Fire your gun in the air a couple times to get it running and enjoy.

You want a horse? I'll get you a horse.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Ok, I have a stupid question. Who the hell is the dark-haired chick on the cover of the instruction booklet (and lots of other promo stuff) supposed to be? Is it Abagail? She's the only candidate I can think of but that drawing doesn't really look much like her character in the game.

It obviously doesn't really matter but I was waiting to meet whoever that was at some point.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It seems pretty clear that Jack is understandably angry, whether that makes him bad or not I guess is up to the player. Unfortunately for me his 'lets go! LETS GO!' line sounds almost exactly like Eric Cartman.

Dan Didio posted:

It's no one, just a random woman. I think she's a multiplayer skin, though, if that matters.

She's just some random person in singleplayer, though. Like the girl they had in the loading screens for GTA4.

Well. That answers that then, cheers!

Biggest regret from the game I think is that you don't get a chance to track down that no-good Fordham as well. He was really running his mouth about Abagail and I was hoping John would get a chance to put a bullet in him.

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 3, 2010

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Stare-Out posted:

Is the larger satchel that you get from one of the challenges bugged for anyone else? As I understand it, it's supposed to carry twice the amount of items that the normal bag does, but whenever I fill it up (10x Medicine, 10x Bait and so on), save, and then load the game the next time I'm back down to 5 of everything. :(

That seems to be a persistent bug, unfortunately.

You got the binoculars in the mission where Nastas takes you to spy on Dutch in Cochinay. I haven't found them to be terrible useful, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Renoistic posted:

Thanks for the help everyone.

By the way serious spoilers What's your favorite theory for the identity of the mysterious man in "I know you"? I'm leaning towards Death or Fate myself, but there seems to be dozens of theories. I also heard you can see him when John gets killed, but I've never noticed him myself.

Other popular theories include God or the Devil, of course. I think he's God - the 'I'm an accountant of sorts' line fits best with that I think - although he could also be an agent thereof I suppose.

• Locked thread