Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

The AI is different for different players / places. In Mexico they bet fearlessly and I won in Armadillo when I realized the last player was super cautious and fold every time if I bet high enough.

The best advice I've read came from wiki in the OP.

They're pretty timid in Blackwood, too. If you win a few decent hands early on, it's really easy to just bully them around with huge raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Hunting in Tall Trees nets a lot of cash, too.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Bloodcider posted:

Isn't that just what Red Dead Revolver was?

Basically, yeah.

Red Dead Revolver was bonkers in the best way. It's been a long time since I played it, but if you want a comparison, think of Redemption as a revisionist Western from the 90's (Unforgiven) and Revolver as pure rear end Spaghetti (the original Django). There was no open world, and it was really arcadey, but man there were some memorable sections and characters. It also had a really, really cool quick-draw mechanic (much better than Redemption's). There was even a dueling tournament a la The Quick and The Dead.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

Expanding upon this, I feel like there are multiple motifs going on in RDR. The New Austin campaign feels like a "classic" Western from the 1950s, whereas the Mexico arc is pretty much Sergio Leone in videogame form, while West Elizabeth is firmly in the Unforgiven style. I like the New Austin part of the game the best, fwiw.

Yeah, they hit a lot of different beats for sure. Tall Trees and Manzanita Post reminded me of Jeremiah Johnson especially. There was a lot of post-Spaghetti stuff with the Indians, too. The Outlaw Josie Wales, for example, humanized Indians a lot.

I agree that the game progresses through Western subgenres chronologically, but it's more subtle than overt. The fact that the (arguably) main antagonist, van der Linde, wasn't a static black hat character speaks to the big time revisionist slant of the game. I love Westerns if it wasn't obvious.

e: for a wrong noun

Blue Raider fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 8, 2014

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

The reward for 100% completing the game was retarded though. You got a chaingun when at that point there was nothing left to do in the world, since it wasn't a sandbox. No NG+ to gently caress around with it either.

e: Wait, no I'm thinking of Gun

I bought Gun used like a year ago and replayed it. It was a weird game and seemed kind of like a proof of concept for Red Dead Redemption (I know it's from a different developer). There was an open world but it was small and empty, there were Indians but they were red man cliches, and etc. It's not a bad game, but it's really half assed. I suppose it scratches a certain itch.

Not every game has to be a deconstruction of tropes or whatever, but Gun could have been anything; It seemed like they crammed their simple story into a Western setting.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I wish Westerns would become more popular in games, but I know better. Redemption is the best the genre has ever been, and really, the previous gen was pretty decent with the Call of Juarez games and Gun. Westerns are hard to not make stupid apparently.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I found the jackalope near some tracks just northwest of Armadillo if that helps.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Have you played Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? It's of an arcade style FPS so its lot different than Red Dead but its fun and its got a lot of charm. Plus all the boss fights are famous outlaws like Billy the Kid and Jesse James.

Yeah, I played it when it came out. It was fun but didn't leave much of an impression. I liked the second Call of Juarez, too, the one that came before the modern cartel nonsense.

If anybody is into Western games after Redemption, it's worth trying to find a used copy of Red Dead Revolver somewhere or buying it on Xbox Live. It's a strange good time.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I still cannot get over how fantastic this game still looks. Like, I'm not sure how much of an improvement a PC/next-gen port of this game would render. It's even more obvious when one comes from GTA5 back to RDR.

It's a beautiful game. Just the vistas and specific things like flowers and tumbleweeds look spectacular. I never played GTAV, though. What's worse about it than RDR?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Peas and Rice posted:

The only cheevos I'm missing are the ones for the online co-op missions because I could never find a match that didn't have some dumbass TKer. And for some reason I never got Create a Posse with the full members.

I didn't play the co-op missions until a couple years after the game was released, so I guess the only people playing by that point were the serious bastards. I killed every single achievement for them in short order. I have a cool game memory of driving a stagecoach like a bat out of hell to the Mexico bridge, leaving half my team from necessity, and just barely making it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, while I'm posting this, LA Noire is also $7.49. Worth it? I heard the sandbox aspect was basically tacked on and the detective stuff is basically babby's first police procedural drama.

I'd say it's worth that. It's a poorly designed game, but it's pretty and nails the LA Confidential feel pretty well. It's overly long, though, and is a hell of a one trick pony. It'll probably be fun to play through a few cases, but it wore out it's welcome with me long before it was finished.

• Locked thread