Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

99.4% complete. loving hell. I'm pretty sure according to guides I've seen that last bit of percent is probably tied up in doing bounties, which I largely dropped soon as I got in Mexico. So much loving around, and a compulsive wildlife killing/skinning routine saw me crossing the border with $15,000, so I wasn't hurting for money.

I wish there was something simple that could tell me what I was missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

DrNutt posted:

If you link with the social club, they have a pretty simple 100% checklist. Some of the stuff is glitched, but if you know you've done all the strangers and missions, it shouldn't be an issue. It seems to be working to check all the bounty locations, AFAIK.

Thanks, good, I'll look at that. I know I have all the strangers and missions knocked out. And every weapon too.

Edit- I was in-game looking at the Social Club stuff wondering where the gently caress you could find whatever it was you were talking about... then it donned on me you meant their WEBSITE.

Man, what a spiffy setup this Social Club poo poo is.

5er fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 31, 2010

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Tide posted:

If I could find the freakin' foxes before I make it to West Elizabeth, I'd be a happy man.

The spawning system in this game fills me with rage. If you need it? It never spawns. If you don't, the landscape is littered with <whatever>.

Fuckers....

New Austin, 'Rio del Lobos,' you can also find a shitload of wolves. Ducks are also near the river, helpful for the 'Unnatural Selection' thing.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I don't expect a soul else to care, but I am basking in the afterglow of my just-obtained 100% completion achievement.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

GruntyThrst posted:

Dueling with the Broomhandle is great.

What's that? You want to duel? BLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAMBLAM

Endgame- I felt a grim satisfaction putting eight rounds in Ross' face, from the very gun he handed to Jack's father. Felt like I made a choice that contributed to the story.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Gazaville Slugger posted:

Wait until you have to knife a bear to death.

When I got as far as having to stab cougars, it was still before Mexico, or the West Dickens/Landon Ricketts missions that alter (and by some standards gently caress up) dead-eye permanently. I got through the wolf and cougar stabbing with dead eye slow motion knife fighting- which really was highly amusing. I was disappointed that there was no way to 'downgrade' or 'mode select' on dead eye behavior, because slow motion bear stabbing would have been a lot easier than how I managed it. Pretty much you completely lose dead-eye for the knife at some point in the quest line to improve it.
Essentially, I softened the bear up with about four non-head buffalo rifle shots. Switched to the knife, and did a lot of fruitless praying while dodging bear charges and hoping to turn around quick enough to stab a bear in the rear end. THEN it started running, and I chased the loving thing for ten minutes before it finally snared itself in a couple of rocks and let me shank it.
I've read advice online that you should be trying to stab the bear from horseback, but seriously what the gently caress? That is unwieldy as hell.

edit: holy poo poo lasso info

5er
Jun 1, 2000

God drat.
I've been the chief source of advice for all my other friends playing this game. I don't remember a single mission that pissed me off or made me scream, 'impossible!' Overall I felt that the singleplayer was pretty easy and I occasionally had to remind myself that medicine was there to be used.

Then I get into public free roam and EVERYBODY is killing me, meanwhile I've only killed one jackass at a transport hub probably cycling through destinations and cursing my cheap shot. Nobody wants to posse, or talk, or cooperate amidst about six sessions I migrated amongst. Probably what I get for not looking for the goon metatag.

I at least knocked out 'Hit the Trail.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Zero Karizma posted:

Oh it seemed pretty calm. Really it was like 2 towns that kinda didn't like each other!

The federales sure went out of their way to torch Luisa's remote shack. And, I think how Jack chases Ross' rear end into Mexico is another counterpoint that it probably didn't matter where or how far they ran, they'd get caught up with by somebody.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

CVagts posted:

I accidentally shot a window out and drew a $1 bounty, which was more than enough for four lawmen to shoot me to death.

The fine tradition of bored law enforcement overreaction. Its just as perplexing as seeing four police cruisers behind one guy that was pulled over for having a rear light out.

I finally got the Undead Nightmare DLC, and while its damnably repetitive it's still fun. Except for having to kill cougars, bears and wolves with a loving torch. That was cruel, I don't think I'm going to manage that one, not while bears still have the power to stunlock you until you're out of medicine and die.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Philip J Fry posted:

Use Pestilence for the torch requirements, he has an insane amount of health and is almost impossible to be taken down. Be careful though, I think you can still be ripped down to the ground if you get too close to some of the bigger animals (I think only bears and cougars).

Would Death work? There would be a risk of a trample kill I suppose, but the horse's description put him as extremely durable.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Blue Raider posted:

Hunting in Tall Trees nets a lot of cash, too.

Especially when you pot thirty bears in a row faster than you can skin them because the game just loving does that sometimes.

Just in case anyone's new to this game and it hasn't been said in a while (and especially when you have like 30 bear carcasses to skin), you can get out of the skinning animation by parking your horse right on top of the corpse. You'll have the skin prompt before you're even fully dismounted... hit it, and you'll just get the tooltip of what you took off the corpse.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The hostiles in that game are such homicidal psychopathic caricatures anyway, Jack can get a very reasonable benefit of the doubt as being a better man than his father. No matter how ethically you go about it you will slay a shitload of dudes on your way to finishing the game, but you can still feel Jack is a better person.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaurs! posted:

There's always the bird challenge glitch where you keep intentionally losing and wagering again, then finally winning, killing the gambler, and looting him for all the money that you lost.

Where's the profit though?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaurs! posted:

If you lose the challenge there's an option to double down and put more of your money into the pot. When you finally win, you get all your lost money back plus a little profit from the bet. The glitch is that the gambler is carrying all the money you initially lost, so you kill and loot him for an insane profit.

I see, nice. Personally I made my fastest money earliest in the game by heading into the Rio Del Lobos valley with as much ammo as possible and shooting wolves, quickskinning them with the horse parking glitch I described earlier. The bird glitch might be faster but I never tire of shooting wolves in the face.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I sure hope one of the controlled protagonists of GTA5 has lineage we can trace back to Jack Marsten. That'll really pique the discussion.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

I don't think anyone knows who killed Ross. There are things in the game that hint at nobody having a clue.

In a way, it is like the inverse of the "I Know You" quest.

Even if that's the case, a precedent is set by which to interpret the remainder of Jack's life we don't have access to. A proficient killer that has had a taste of revenge. There can't be any kind of good future for him. That's the sentiment I pulled by the end of it all, whether or not he became wanted over Ross' demise.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

What? There is nothing to imply that Jack Marston has nothing to live for anymore after his revenge. Just like there is nothing to imply that Jack Marston became an outlaw. You may have done nothing, but I took the time to explore a little bit and find areas that I never did before.

I think that what he said works very well... the very lack of things to do once you run out of all story elements while you continue to persist in the open world is kind of its own allegory. It's even worse if you cleaned out all the faffing-about challenges prior to Jack taking over. Even if this wasn't intended by the developer, I like the notion that Crappy Jack got out of it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Philip J Fry posted:

If you're wearing the expert hunter outfit (free DLC,) ...

That outfit has one of my favorite unlock requirements. Having to blow up a cougar with a stick of dynamite.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Philip J Fry posted:

Doing it with dead-eye and watching a stick of dynamite chase down a cougar like a sidewinder missile never gets old.

:stare:

I had no loving idea you could dead-eye with dynamite. I snuck up on a cougar, it spotted me, and I shot it once in the haunch so as not to kill it. It ran away and I chased that fucker from the rails north of McFarlane ranch all the way down to Mescalero until the 8th stick of dynamite got him.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I hadn't played single player in a while, and I fired it up for a bit, got from about 82% complete to 94% complete. I even hosed around in multiplayer for a while (and gently caress getting sniped with a pistol a mile away, deadeye is a bitch online) and got to level 5, but nothing updated to Social Club. Is it having issues, or is it me?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

blackguy32 posted:

It has a few issues.

Well, the issues sorted themselves out after a few hours. I should've just been patient. Like, 10 hours patient.

blackguy32 posted:

I found it amazing that there was still stuff I didn't see after I had beaten the game. If you constantly use waypoints then you will always use the same routes. It wasn't until I was going for 100% that I saw Venter's place and Manteca Falls and the area surrounding it.

I found scenic nooks and crannies like you're talking about (specifically even Manteca Falls) when I returned to RDR when Undead Nightmare released. I didn't start a fresh game but I scoured the grounds more thoroughly for the expansion.

On my more recent second fresh start on a different console- I wanted to replay it after having finished GTA5 and I wanted to re-experience RDR's narrative- I kind of speed-ran through it. Still going to get myself a 100% completion trophy, and just like last time, the last 1% I'm hung up on is getting all 5 US gang hideouts done within a 24 hour period. I think ANY fast travelling or dying breaks it.

5er fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 6, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

There's pretty much a 'GOTY' edition that'll get you base game, dlc and Undead Nightmare.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jeremys Iron posted:

Thanks for flagging this - on amazon it's marketed as having a new 'hardcore' single-player version - I assume that's an additional mode and I can still play the game in regular sissy version if I choose?

Yep, totally optional. It's even a setting toggle I think.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Griffon posted:

Hopefully this one will wonder on to my PC.

It never will. Rockstar's said as much too. I would re-purchase it if it got a PC rerelease, but it's never meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I will load this game up on occasion just for the thrill of dead-eye'ing dynamite into birds and cougars.

• Locked thread