Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I still have pretty far to go in the game, I just recently got to Mexico.

I did finish that god damned social club pikes basic challenge though, and holy poo poo the inferno bullets are hilarious.

I won a duel with them, and also found out that most of the time you shoot someone on horseback, they will get tied to the horse and cause it to spaz, making a nice little light happen for the street :)

I felt kinda bad for the California stranger mission, but the "I know you" mission (the first one) is just... odd.

Can't wait to see how this wraps up!

Edit - small tip. If you are going for the "Fighting round the world!" achievement, you might wanna be careful in Thieves Landing. I started an awesome fight there, and got shot by some rear end in a top hat with a shotgun about 2 punches into it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

merk posted:

Is it cool enough where we can stop the spoilers now? It's similar to having a Star Wars thread where every post is something like the following:

Personally I would hold off on the spoiling of the game for a little while longer. The game hasn't even been out a month yet in the US, and there are quite a few people (myself included) who haven't finished it.

Besides, we spoiler things in threads for games that are pretty old. Better to be safe than sorry.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

moller posted:

The shooting the rope thing was a major plot point in 1954's Johnny Guitar, and the woman being rescued in the film was even sort of similar to Bonnie McFarlane, and had a sort of similar relationship to the one doing the rescuing. I'm sure there are others, I'm thinking it's a well-established trope in westerns.

Oh, wait - http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShootTheRope

My favorite "Shoot the rope" was in Quick and the Dead.

It helps that Gary Sinese annoys me though :haw:

Man this game will make you feel like dogshit for the most random goddamn reasons. I got rid of my horse cause, well, he sucked, and I activated a horse deed.

The horse looks at me, shakes his head, and just trots off into the sunset like "Welp, thanks for riding on my back and spurring me a lot rear end in a top hat, I thought we had something!"

Sorry Elmer, I just wanted to go faster :saddowns:

It got worse though, cause right after I get on Pony (the awesomest horse that ever horsed!) he got attacked by a bobcat and died, and then it killed me when I was running away trying to gently caress with my weapons menu to not have Fire Bottle selected.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I watched the review, and could understand some of his complaints, but I really thought he was reaching with the travel times issue. Still, as a reviewer I likes his style.

Buy a map, use your camp, and boom, instant travel to anywhere you pop a waypoint.

Besides, anyone who doesn't like riding around in the vast open prairie on horseback (or fighting a cougar with a knife, on a mountain top, at night, during a thunderstorm :black101: like I did)... well, this game ain't for everyone pardner...

:clint:

(finished High Plains Drifter, Big Jake, The Outlaw Josey Wales, Joe Kidd, El Dorado and bought the blu ray of Good, Bad and the Ugly all in the last week :) )

If for some random reason you HAVEN'T seen The Outlaw Josey Wales... I... I implores you to take a gander at it!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just had my first bug happen that almost made me crap myself since I hadn't saved in a while.

Got to the end of the last? mission in mexico and right after the, uhm.. "ability to shoot, roll, dodge, do anything except pause" went away for a good 5 mins while my horse wandered around in the background.

After that, the cutscene started.

Dunno what the hell happened, but it scared the poo poo out of me. I hadn't saved since before I opened up mexico, and I hadn't even swapped my horse around or died. I would have been uberfucked if it crashed out.

Needless to say, on the way to Blackwater I saved v:v:v

loving LOVING THIS GAME. Off to hunt beaver, and maybe play the game some more :haw:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So... Just killed a wild boar. On horseback. Using my mauser pistol.

Feeling like a badass, cause BLAM, got that fucker right in the eye.

Hop down off my horse and proceed to walk towards it to skin it, and another boar slams into me and knocks me rear end over teakettle. I am ok with that, I suck up the hit, bring up my weapon list and select my sawed off. I am gonna teach this here piggy a lesson bout the one that don't go home :clint:

Then a loving BEAR OUT OF NOWHERE slaps the poo poo out of me and knocks me back OVER my goddamn horse. I have never gone airborne from being hit. Once I land, not one, not two, not three, but FOUR loving buffalo run over my rear end. Needless to say I died, and I took that first pig with me, but I am starting to think nature is against all this hunting :tinfoil:

Also, gently caress BEARS ARE BIG. I thought it was a buffalo at first cause, gently caress it's a giant shaggy thing like twice the size of a boar, then it swatted me and roared, and basically I like to think my horse made it even if I didn't. He seemed to be heading for higher (and less populated) ground when I went over him.

The game sent me back to my last save, and my horse was standing in front of my campsite in the pouring down rain, looking at me like "Whatcha gonna do now Mr. Badass I AM THE LAW MIS NOMBRE ES JOHN MARSTEN???!?!"

If Cabelas hunting games were like this, I would own all of them :clint:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Quick question...

Keeping this as spoiler free as possible in both asking and hopefully when you guys answer...

In one of the promo pics for the game, John is hauling rear end away from a bear or facing it down with a knife, and in the shot he has one of those old leatherhead football helmets on when he is doing it.

Does that open up later in the single player game, or is it a multiplayer only thing?

I kinda wanna look like a mental patient when I have to fight giant wildlife v:shobon:v

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah, ok, got a little confused.

I was apparently thinking of the Expert Hunter outfit.

Beats the poo poo out of the "Jew like merchant" or whatever the hell the other costume was called. The one from the gamestop "vote and win!" thing. I think these are all going to be released at a later date as DLC (keeping my fingers crossed).

Here's an image :

Click here for the full 1280x920 image.

Man, once you get 100% fame, people say some strange poo poo to you, about you. Haven't had too many people want a duel after I became super famous though :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Poor John.

Out hunting for beaver like any normal man in the wild west would be, he heads to a far away camp in the north.

He spies something in the distance, and thinks "Holy poo poo, maybe this is that loving beaver!!" and uses his sniper rifle to take a peek.

Once the scope pops up, his eye is not filled with a view of a wet, glistening beaver at play, but a strange furry object that seems to be moving slightly.

Dropping the scope, he looks up and realizes his Lord and Savior will never let him live this down if it makes it up to Heaven, for in the final fleeting moments of life, instead of living life to it's fullest and trying to help his fellow man, or even seeing an awesome beaver shot... He was staring at a bear crotch from an angry grizzly that snuck up on him and didn't appreciate the ogling he had been given.

Way to go John... way to go.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow....

Kinda :tinfoil:

Just got hosed up by the Berenstain family in Tall Trees, and I give up, close down the xbox, and hop online. First story I see on CNN is "Grizzly bear on loose after mauling"

HOW DID THEY KNOW?!?!?!?

Any tips on the best gun to one shot bears with? Buffalo Rifle tends to just make em ornery.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just finished it tonight (didn't 100% it, but hey, that's why they leave the sandbox open v:v:v )

Holy poo poo the ending is loving.... just not what I expected.

It's awesome, sad, frustrating, annoying, all at the same time.

I think as far as storyline and theme goes, this is probably the best game I have ever played.

As far as "rear end in a top hat fun" goes, Saints Row 2 still holds that top level, but having John kick people after shooting out both kneecaps and disarming them in a duel ranks pretty god damned far up there :buddy:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just used one of those woman who lure you into the stagecoach banditos when I did it.

Dunno if she was a whore or not, but she was spreading it around after she died, that's for sure :v:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My nun appeared in Tall Trees to give me the trinket, and then she tried to walk into me to go past me, making John go "Hey, watch it sister!", the nun say "Good manners are free young man, I suggest you try and aquIREAAAAHHGGUUGGHHH" because a bear jumped up and slapped the hell out of her.

Uppity old bitch :colbert:

Appreciate the God bling though. Dunno if it works too well cause holy gently caress I was getting shot a lot after that, but hey, free bling.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My friend killed about 90 of the damned things over a year when they kept going after his garbage cans and his cats.

I hate the fuckers myself.

I am half tempted to buy him an account if we ever get a "gently caress I hate raccoons" thread going.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Huh, if you cheat at poker and kill HERBERT MOOOOOOOOOOONNNNN , it doesn't give you that warning about a shopkeeper being killed and the store closing for a few days.

Awesome, I can kill him a lot, and not have to wait to buy mah groceries!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, buggery and fuckeration.

I just spent about 15 mins trying to get to free roam, and loving nothing but the loading screen. I try to log out and log back in, and try again, and get the loading screen plus some kid on XBL going "GAH THIS IS TAKING FOREVER GAY friend of the family!"

I did get to play a bit earlier, and I kinda had to laugh. I ended up doing the Fort Mercer (before I knew there was a bug to it) mission, and some dude invited me to join his posse. I said "Eh, ok." and joined up.

There's me (level 2!), a dude on a buffalo, and the guy who started the whole damned thing, and they both die horribly repeatedly in the fight, then LEAVE right when the mission is about over. I beat the mission and get something like 800 xp for, I guess kicking rear end by myself.

Granted, I died and came back a lot, but holy poo poo why bother with a posse when no one has mics, and no one has a god damned clue what the other people are doing?

Might try it again tomorrow before work. Who knows, maybe it will let me in :haw:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat, I can't even get free roam working this morning.

I guess the servers are getting slammed pretty hard.

BittyWings - I am going to try that for the next time I get stuck in a near dark shoot out. I wish I had that tip on the ferry mission. Christ that was annoying.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Son of a bitch, I can't get the 2 stranger missions in Blackwater to load.

Those are the only 2 I have left to do :argh:

Also, I noticed today (now that I have beaten the game and am just trying to get 100%), they actually have an icon on the minimap (or map) for an eyewitness to a murder spree/rear end in a top hat moment.

Also, if you have a weapon out, but you aren't aiming it, Your dude does a few different things. I had my shotgun out but I wasn't aiming it, and when I hit the RT button he just loving cold cocked these 2 dudes in the head at the gaming table.

Also (ENDING SPOILERS SO DON'T READ EM UNLESS YOU WANNA SPOIL THE ENDING), I am loving the Jack lines when whores talk to him. I ended up spitting Dr Pepper out on myself tonight when I heard "Don't need a case of crotch rot, thank you!"

All I have left are 3 minigames (no clue what the hell they are), 2 stranger missions, the sharpshooter/hunter/survivor challenges, 1 horse breaking job, and the bounties from a few areas.

Yea, gonna be at this for a while :smith:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress.

I unlocked the army uniform today, and then suddenly all the bounty locations on the map went away.

I am not looking for anyone right now, I haven't accepted a bounty, and I have finished the last bounty I was looking for, but son of a bitch those loving bounty locations are gone.

They aren't even on the outside of the buildings where they should be.

If I have to restart or use an old save, I am gonna be pissed. I JUST loving won a game of horseshoes right before this poo poo happened.

The really annoying part was actually beating the sharpshooter level 10 challenge, dying, and then finding out "OH gently caress HAHAHAAH NO YOU DUMB poo poo YOU GOTTA DISARM 6 PEOPLE WITH THE SAME GUN AGAIN, AND gently caress YOUR INVENTORY CAUSE ALL THEM BULLETS YA USED?!?! HAHAHA loving GONE DUDE!"

:argh: drat YOU RDR!!!

I really don't think I can 100% this game. I have some kinda mental block against five finger fillet. I can get like 90% of the code working and then I stab myself in the hand like a spastic bastard.

Edit - just cause it makes me feel :smug:
Biggest fall survived with horse 255.76 ft.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 27, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp..

I was trying to herd the buffalo to go through blackwater, and apparently they all decided to commit suicide by riding into the river.

On one hand, I feel kinda :smith: cause they are all gone, on the other hand.. :argh: WHERE'S MY 5G ROCKSTAR?!?!?!

Did not know about the blind fire..

Had a random "HELP I NEEDS TA GET BACK TO TOWN!" mission happen in Aurora Basin of all places (WAY up north on the map). I saw a wolf or something stalking the guy, pulled out the mauser and aimed it (at him unfortunately) and he just yelled "drat! I DONE poo poo MAHSELF!" and ran off.

B'ar got 'im. :clint:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:dance:

I just carved up a wolf and got vittles!

I love this game.

Also, gently caress the level 10 survivalist challenge. Bad enough I made it through the level 7 without getting assraped by Yogi, but now I gotta get 10 more flowers, and 2 of every other kind? Jesus.

Also, gently caress the level 10 sharpshooter one too.

Weirdest random event so far - 2 guys beating the poo poo out of each other at the top of the map. Literally follow the river ALL the way upstream on the left side of that mountain, and you will go very very far up there. There isn't any mission marker or anything, I just got lost.

Out in the middle of Bumfuck, Egypt is a pair of pissed off guys just loving beating the hell out of each other for a good 10 mins. One guy wins, and just starts the 4 day walk back to civilization :psyduck:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
SON OF A BITCH!

Man I am getting tired of the game glitches in this game. I love it, but god drat they are annoying.

I loving finally get sharpshooter level 10, SAVE my goddamned game, even go so far as to activate a horse deed. Naturally when a bear loving slaps the soul from my body, I DON'T HAVE THAT ACHIEVEMENT ANYMORE!!!!! I reload the save, and poof, it's still gone!

If that isn't the most annoying part of it, it was swiftly followed by The Wronged Woman stranger mission loving up. It wouldn't let me duel the guy, and when I left town it told me I failed, but it won't prompt me to duel him again. If I kill and rob him, well... exactly nothing happens other than me earning a bounty.

:argh: drat YOU ROCKSTAR!!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There is something kinda hinted at for a new story related mission.

Late game spoilers?

When you unlock tall trees/great plains/etc, there is a cabin out in the middle of Tanners Reach, where every time you go to it or near it, Marston sounds all creeped out about it. "This ain't right.." or "Where is everyone?", and the cabin is actually a pretty nice little cabin. Fires lit at night, etc. You can't save in it, but it's there. Kinda spooky. I thought it might be something they didn't have time to finish out, like a Tumbleweed mission or something.

Yea, it's reaching for something to be hinted at, but it's kinda fun/creepy at the same time :unsmith:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the truth posted:

Does anything ever come of the letter you have to mail at the end of the "California" stranger mission?

Nah, if you read the challenge info after you complete it, it just says something to the effect of "You mailed off a letter to his family, so they know how much they meant to him" or something like that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally figured out a god damned way to get that level 10 sharpshooter.

I crashed the poker game at Armadillo, took out 2 guys there, and wandered into the bar and took out the remaining ones :clint:

God drat that was horrible. At least I unlocked that "Legend of the West" outfit.

I think I have to win at 5 finger fillet and do a few more bounties, and I am done! 100% BABY!

Also, side note here. Bears don't only rape YOU in the game, or you and your horse. They also gently caress up anyone in the area. I had a bounty pop up in Aurora Basin, and 2 bears took out all but 2 of the guys shooting at me. Nothing like walking up and hearing people shooting at you, hearing that roar of the bear, and seeing it charge headfirst into a group of people screaming various curses and whatnot. The only thing better was seeing the survivors of the FIRST attack get mauled in the trees while running away because of another bear.

I kinda felt bad about killing em after that. I thought they had earned a bit of the bounty, but they tried to eat Mr Cloppity, and that poo poo don't stand, son. :clint:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 1, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you get to the end of the game, make sure to buy a paper and read the marriage announcements. There is a horrible, yet hilarious tie in joke to an earlier one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know where the Bollard gang bounties are at?

I am slowly but surely working my way towards the 100% mark, and damned if I can find a bounty with em. I thought it was Armadillo but that's the Walton gang.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I had 2 spawn on that trail following the river in Tall Trees, and immediately they decided to run away from me, and fall into the river :(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
1: No idea, check the wiki in the first post cause that's how I found this poo poo out.

2: Horses with 3 star ratings are awesome, and fast.

3: Deeds are infinite. That means when a cougar rapes your horse, and it will happen.. you can just go into your inventory and activate the deed (just like taking medicine or using chewing tobacco) and it will save your game and activate the horse. Wait a few mins and then whistle and the new horse will come trotting up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes nature just says "Yea.. gently caress this guy."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, geez.

A: you are picking flowers, not trying to rape bears with a knife. B: The little guide/challenge thing TELLS you what flowers or plants you need.

Buy a survivalist map and get ready to slap leather, hombre.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well, the Bollard gang all wear top hats. That makes em kinda easy to spot.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh, been meaning to ask this.

Is it possible (or has it happened to anyone) to skip levels of the sharpshooting challenges?

I could have sworn I went from level 5 or 6 sharpshooter to level 9 when I shot a shitload (i.e. an entire mauser clip) of birds out of the air using deadeye.

It was odd, but I never really thought much about it. Been meaning to ask if it happened to anyone else, but just remembered.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kali11324 posted:

I beat the game yesterday, amazing loving ending! Right now I'm at 96%. I check the rockstar social club thing and it looks like I'm missing the second stranger mission and the last house. Any help on what and where these are?

Dunno what stranger mission you are missing, but the bed is Jack's bed, so make sure to save a game in your old house. The save point is actually his bed, and not his parents :3:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think you can surrender in Blackwater honestly.

I did in Armadillo twice (once by accident, once by just not giving a gently caress) but I still got shot a few times.

I think they start blasting away with the big guns, and smoke your rear end right then and there. I just start shooting and hop on my horse, slap leather and hit the road in high places till I get somewhere like Armadillo to pay the bounty off.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yep, gotta bust em all out.

It's a lot easier if you kill one or two of them, go pay the bounty, and come back. There is usually just one chinese or black guy left there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I choose the best of both worlds. I get the fiddy bucks, but then I shoot her in the knee and watch her limp away.

Yea, try dancing on THAT leg ya hussy. :clint:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I would pay :10bux: for bear tag, or bear mode, or a cougar vs bear, or a cougar mode. Make it happen rockstar :colbert:

This kinda upset me today though. I was browsing the Bone Clones website, and found this :

That is the right paw of a black bear (kinda tiny compared to a grizzly). It is amazingly similar to a humans right hand.

I have been killed by bears a loving LOT in this game, and just now realized I was being pimpslapped to death by a bear :saddowns:. This saddens me to know I have felt the power of pooh's pimphand.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HELLFIRE AND TARNATION!:argh:

Every god damned time I go to catch that black horse (forget the breed offhand), I manage to find one or two of them together, and EVERY SINGLE TIME they kill themselves!

gently caress!

First time, I run into a pair of em and I think "poo poo! Why do I see these now when I am being chased by a bear on foot?!?!?!". They decide the better part of valor is not discretion, but instead, leaping to their deaths into the river. I manage to outwit the bear by running past some pissed off indians, and they decide to shoot at me (hitting the bear) and causing their own deaths.

Second time, I run into just one of them, and I get it lasso'd and start the "haul rear end to the horse and break it" routine... only for a god damned ninja bear to kill it.

Last time, I finally hop on my horse, haul rear end AWAY from bears, get one in the nice open plains... and the son of a bitch runs in front of the train right after I lasso it.

gently caress the 100% challenges, this is the hardest god damned thing to do in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
For all the hate that bears get, I actually had one help me on a bounty one time.

I was after some jerk in Tall Trees, and naturally John, in his infinite god damned wisdom waits until I sneak up to the first guy and yells out "COME ON OUT YA SON OF A BITCH". 18 people open fire on me.

Well, not everyone was a good shot apparently, and next thing I know I am hiding behind a big loving rock, and a bear runs PAST me, and beats the poo poo out of everyone in that little group, and as the survivors all run away, goes after ANOTHER group of em near a rock.

All I had to do was walk up and get the proof of the bounty, hop on my horse and ride boldly ride.

I tipped my hat to the bear and slapped leather. No way in hell was I gonna hang around while he eats everyone and decides that my horse needs to be dessert.

The weirdest damned NPC encounter I had was WAAAAYYYYY up in the top corner of the map. I was just riding around, and came across 2 guys beating the poo poo out of each other in the woods near a stream. I was probably a good 20 min horse ride from any sort of town, and these guys are just whaling on each other like crazy.

One gets knocked down, the other kicks him and starts to walk off, and the bastard GETS UP and pushes him into the river. Kills him dead as a hammer and just starts walking back to the top section of the map like there was something there.

Well, there was, and it was a cougar. He didn't make it, but I still tipped my hat to him as he was running away cause, hell, he saved me from a cougar ambush. Even if he is a cold blooded murderer that was a nice thing to do :3:

• Locked thread